Jane Eyre Forums

BBC (Mini-Series 2006)

Favorite Jane Eyre productions

desert05

[1]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 12
    Seeing that we've had so many over the years, I thought it might be fun to talk about some of our favorite actors/actresses and productions.

I have a few particular favorites....this production hasn't ended, so I'm reserving my thoughts about it.

First- Rochester

1. Timothy Dalton
    2. George C. Scott
    3. Orson Welles
    4. Ciaran Hinds
    Edited on 01/26/2007 2:58pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

speddoc

[2]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 42

Timothy Dalton is the seminal Rochester to my mind.  If Charlotte Bronte were alive, she'd have said "GET ME DALTON!", he's so much what the character is on the page.

Toby Stephens is doing a fairly decent job, but isn't broody enough.  And yet, I rather like him.  Go figure.

William Hurt did his best, bless him, but he was just wrong.  Ciaran Hinds did his best but was too old and lumbered with a flat-as-a-pancake script.  George C. Scott was, well, George C. Scott.  Ditto Orson Welles. Who'd I forget?

Who would I like to see play Rochester? The great missed opportunity is Gabriel Byrne. Slurp.  I suppose the best choice of what's out there now is Richard Armitage.  If you haven't seen him in North and South - LORDY!   Mrs. Gaskill and the Bronte sisters were correspondents for many years, so it's not hard to imagine the influence one another's writings and it shows in their heroes.

desert05

[3]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    Hands down, Armitage was THE one to go for this time around. He must've either been shooting something else, or someone bribed them to use Stephens. Personally, I don't think Hinds was that old to do the job, and I adore that scene where he's talking to her while he's on the bridge. I haven't seen it in ages, but I really enjoyed that production.

Hurt and company was just a mess, with the worst actress EVER to play Jane.

The one I've been waiting to see for ages is the one with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston. I've heard about it for so long and never figured I'd get the chance to see it. It's finally been released on dvd, and I've been thinking of taking a chance and getting it. I'm just so curious why it's so well received by friends who've seen it.
    Edited on 01/27/2007 2:39pm

dragonfly_pat

[4]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 19
    The current production cuts too much out of Jane's early years at Lowood.

seashell_girl

[5]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    I loved BBC Jane Eyre (2006) with Ruth Wilson & Toby Stephens
    it was different but a more passionate approach to the series...