Jane Eyre

BBC (Mini-Series 2006)

Jane Eyre Fan Reviews (3)

7.8
  • An adaptation of the book Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë.

I watched this mini-series because the book is one of my favourite books of all time, (at least of the books I have read), and I was not disappointed. In my option it is one of the best adaptations ever made. Ruth Wilson is perfect in the role as the heroine Jane Eyre. Her presences and humility in every scene she is in is a pleasure to see. To be able to play the character of Mr. Rochester the actor will have to be able to as complex as Charlotte Brontë writes in the book and Toby Stephens is able to be just that. The chemistry that Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens have is something I have not seen for a very long time and it is also what makes this mini-series the best. Watch it you won´t be sorry and if you are it is not my fault. It is you fault for not being able to the understand how good this is.
  • In my humble opinion this is the best adapatation of Jane Eyre.

I was looking forward to this series and wasn't disappointed. In my humble opinion its one of the best series the BBC have ever produced and in Toby Stephens Rochester we saw one of the greatest performances seen on British television. His scenes with Jane (Ruth Wilson) towards the end of episode 4 were extremely emotional. In fact I can't watch Toby's scenes back without crying my eyes out. I've grown to care about Rochester and thats undoubtedly due to the depth of feeling Toby gave to the role. I look forward to seeing this amazing actor in future roles.

I do hope the music from the series will be issued on CD.
  • This edition of Jane Eyre is absolutely superb. I have loved this story since I was little and this adaptation is right on the money.

Perhaps the producers heve used a little too much poetic licence on the characters and situation:
    The character playing Mr. Rochester is, perhaps a little too good looking as Mr. Rochester is supposed to be quite ugly!
    Thornfield Hall is rather more like a castle than a manor house. Jane Eyre also has a rather astounding upper lip!
    But all these apart this production is one of the best that I have seen. I am thoroughly looking forward to the next instalment and can't wait to see how they portray Mr. Rochester's wife.