Jem

A Father Should Be...

Aired Daily 12:00 AM May 02, 1988 on ABC

7.2
  • A good, but a sad ending.

I remember Jem and the Holograms was I was little and never see them until they were released by the Hub Channel. It is a good show and it was made by the same company who made G.I. JOE and Transformers. This series made about 65 episodes and it just ended with out seeing the Holograms finally defeated Eric Raymond. Hasbro should have mad Jem and the Holograms The Movie and would have concluded the series with their final performance, Jerrica would finally show Rio that she is Jem, and Aja goes to retirement to married Craig and Aja would become six months pregnant (The reason I wrote this is because I'm an Aja fan). Anyway I will miss this show and wish they would have made new series, just like how they did it with G.I. JOE and Transformers.

• A marvelous ending to a great show

In Jem, Bah Nee finally finding her father was such a marvelous ending to a wonderfully social conscious show. The Sunbow/Claster cartoons all had underlying moral themes: Transformers conveyed environment concerns, G.I. Joe spoke of medical science and corporate responsibility on the matter and Jem’s message was about social responsibility.
    In A Father Should Be, the best in all of the characters in Jem came out to help Bah Nee find her father---even the Misfits! There was even a daring notion that Bah Nee would be better off without him if he turned out to be the one jerk out of the three candidates Riot’s father found via military archives. Very brave and unusual for a cartoon, but Jem was no ordinary cartoon thankfully.
    Throughout the third season especially after the Stingers were introduced as the new antagonists, the audience got to see “the how and why” of the Misfits self-destructive pysche. From season one, we had a sneak peak into the soft underbelly of the Misfits tough exterior via Stormer. However, in season three we finally got to see why the Misfits were the way they were in several episodes, but the original three band member each got highlight episodes where the writers really got drive the idea home. Although she feels insignificant as an independent artist Stormer gets fed up with being exploited and temporarily leaves the Misfits to collaborate with Kimber in “The Bands Break Up”, then Roxy leaves to improve her self-image in “Roxy Rumbles and finally Pizazz overreaction to abandonment in “Father’s Day” gives us insight to her overall anger and need for the attention of masses. What is nice about this final episode of Jem is that the Misfits dropped their hang-ups and came to see Bah Nee off for a new life with her long lost father and created a truce with Jem and the Holograms at last. After all, Pizazz of all people should know how important it is to be loved by a father.
    As the third act concluded, there was a touching moment with Jem crying because Bah Nee didn’t seem to miss Jerrica as the party came to an end. This of course ended happily when Bah Nee cried out for Jerrica specifically causing Jem to change into Jerrica and give a final hug to Bah Nee and let her alter ego resume its true role as a hologram start off the final song of the series that includes the members from all three bands--- and RIO! Lastly, the wave goodbye that Jem gave to the fourth wall (audience) and Bah Nee was just priceless.
    What a great cartoon.
  • In the series finale of Jem, a young girl discovers that her father may still be alive. It is up to Kimber to find the answers for Jem and the Holograms before it is too late. Kimber learns that the amnesiac in question is the girl's father. The end of

Jem and Kimber and the Holograms re-unite a girl with her father. But is the amnesiac really her dad? Can Kimber re-unite them? Only Jem can stop the imposter father by sending gorillas after him. The amnesiac father reveals to Kimber that he served in Vietnam, and had no memory of his past. His memory returns after meeting his daughter. Jem and the Holograms say goodbye to the audiance in this series finale of Jem and the Holograms. This show was ahead of its time and loved by people everywhere. This show is perfect. Long live Jem and the Holograms.
HUB