A Jeopardy! Community
Weekdays 7:30 PM on NBC

... Everyone's favorite starship captain (suck it, Kirk, and sorry, @JT_Kirk) is returning to television! Patrick Stewart, who manned the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation, has just landed his first regular series role in 20 years. Stewart will star in Seth MacFarlane's new Starz comedy Blunt Talk as Walter Blunt, a British TV presenter who's looking to "conquer" the world of American cable news. (Question: Which usually comes first, the character or the show title?) The other big announcement here is that Blunt Talk earned a straight-to-series, two-season (!!!) order from Starz. Each season will run for 10 episodes, with the first one premiering in 2015. [Starz via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... HBO's short-lived series The Comeback is coming back! Probably. HBO is reportedly considering a six-episode revival of the comedy that starred Lisa Kudrow as former reality star Valerie Cherish. Original series stars Kudrow, Malin Akerman, and Kellen Lutz would all come back as well. The rumors surrounding The Comeback's potential comeback are technically still rumors, but now that more "sources" are saying they're true, they've become a full-fledged super-rumors! Once another few outlets pick up the story, it'll grow into a mega-rumor, and after that it'll balloon into an uber-rumor, colosso-rumor, and finally, a true-mor. Then it'll sprout legs, walk onto land, and becomes fact. [E! Online]

... Showtime is developing a drama based on the cocaine heyday of the 1980s. Boyz in the Hood director John Singleton is lining up (teehee) the project, which will be set in 1984 Los Angeles and follow three main characters: a boy in Compton, a Mexican wrestler, and a CIA agent. This will be the kind of show that think you'll just try once, but then you watch another episode and another episode until all of a sudden you're knocking down Singleton's door and telling him you'll do ANYTHING for more. [Deadline

... Have you forgotten who Isaiah Washington played on Grey's Anatomy, sending you into a panic in the lead-up to the actor's impending return to the soap opera that sometimes features medical elements? Well, ABC has your back. The network will re-run Washington's last appearance on the show, which first aired in 2007, in the 8pm time slot this Thursday, before he shows up again at 9pm. I wonder if the new episode will leave out the part where he got kicked off the show for screaming gay slurs at his cast mates? [Variety]

... This is... Sports Jeopardy!? Streaming-video company Crackle will host a jock-y take on the classic quiz show, with NBC Sports' Dan Patrick playing the role of Alex Trebek. Sony Pictures TV, which owns Crackle, is behind the show. [NY Daily News]

... There's a reality show coming to TV Guide Network that follows '80s boy band New Kids on the Block as go on a cruise and hang out with fans and sing the classics. It's called Rock This Boat: NKOTB. Pass the tailpipe, please. [TVGN via press release]

... Oprah's OWN is still trying to be a thing and has renewed Raising Whitley, a reality show following comedian Kym Whitley and her friends as they all raise her kid, for a second season. The network also ordered more episodes of Deion's Family Playbook, a reality show following Deion Sanders. [Deadline]

... The Tony Award nominees were announced today, and among them are Bryan Cranston for All the Way, Neil Patrick Harris for Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Audra McDonald for Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill, Chris O'Dowd for Of Mice and Men, and Tony Shalhoub for Act One. And hey, Hugh Jackman is hosting! The Tony Awards air on CBS on June 8. [Tony Awards

CASTING NEWS

... Rosie O'Donnell is coming!!! Specifically to The Fosters, where she'll reprise her role as the tough (like Rosie) but compassionate (unlike Rosie) Rita Hendricks. She'll appear in two episodes in August... but her presence will be felt forever. Season 2 of The Fosters premieres June 16. [ABC Family via press release]

... All you The Voice fans out there, there is "no doubt" that this is great news! HAHAHAHA! Oh you'll get it in a sec. Gwen Stefani has officially joined the singing show for the fall cycle as one of the coaches, fulfilling the requirement for a blonde lady on the judging panel of the NBC hit. Stefani will sit and swivel alongside Pharrell Williams, Pharrell Williams' Arby's hat, Adam Levine, and Blake Shelton. She effectively sits in for Christina Aguilera, who will return for The Voice's spring edition next year. [THR]

... Jay Ellis (The Game) will hop on the second season of Showtime's Masters of Sex. He'll play Dr. Cyril Franklin, a doc who shares an office space with William Masters, causing tension between the two. I mean, who can get any work done with all those orgasm noises? Masters of Sex is piling on the new cast members for Season 2; Sarah Silverman joined the series yesterday. [Variety]

VERY IMPORTANT NEWS

... Nolan Gould, a.k.a. Modern Family's Luke Dunphy, has passed his driver's test! And he used the opportunity to shill for Ford. Smart kid. [Nolan Gould's twitter]

OTHER RECENT STORIES YOU MAY'VE MISSED ON TV.COM

... I complained about the influx of nice zombies that's invading our televisions after A&E decided to adapt the perfectly awesome French series The Returned

... Price interviewed The Originals' Charles Michael Davis, who plays Marcel, so of course the conversation turned to shirtlessness.

... Kaitlin pondered whether S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Agent Ward can be redeemed, using Buffy characters as a guide. (She thinks he's got a chance.) 

... Fox is staging a live production of Grease for 2015. 

... SundanceTV renewed The Red Road for Season 2.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2014

Season 2013 : Episode 180

36 Comments
Comments (38)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Wait...Greys Anatomy is STILL on the air? WHY?!
Flag
I assume Patrick and Seth are getting along splendidly.
Flag
Some of MacFarlanes best work has had Patrick Stewart. But the real reason I will check that show is because it's PATRICK STEWART!
Flag
It seems lately that Jackman and Harris have been trying to out-host each other on the Tonys. Someone has got to put them in a show together. Even if you care nothing for Broadway, you have to admit that the Tonys have the best entertainment of any awards show. And they almost always manage to finish on time. It's also interesting that lately there's been more and more recognizable names being involved.
Flag
Kirk rules all.....suck that tv.com
Flag
Lol, great picture of Rosie :)
Flag
More Patrick Stewart on TV? Yes, please!
Flag
I don't know if he's the greatest but he is definitely my favorite Star Trek captain.
Flag
The golden rule of TV is you MUST watch anything starring Patrick Stewart. This might actually be good!
Flag
I &3 Patrick Stewart so I'm DEFINITELY on board for this! :)

And he is so the best Captain.
Flag
Damn right "sorry"! :-P (I was a Picard man until the last 3 TNG movies and I started watching TOS more, so it's ok to be wrong there.) Stewart has been a recurring regular on MacFarlane's animated series, American Dad, but since he's not a starring role, I can see how one might make the distinction. They'd be WRONG though (sorry, @TimSpot). So Blunt Talk is non-animated and airs on Starz and has 2 seasons committed? That's all surprising. I won't get Starz just for it, but I'll look for it on Netflix or whatever.

Oh John Singleton, move on. Coke is such a played out story, and that description makes it sound like another GTA game. Also that description makes me think Tim has a coke problem, from the experience spoken there.

Why, seriously? Why is Sports Jeopardy a thing? They pimp the app on regular Jeopardy and it's just so obnoxious and dumb, if you want sports trivia there are far better places to find it without the limiting "answer-question" format.

Aw shit, I was hoping it'd be a sequel to A Different World with Whitley and Dwayne Wayne living together. I'm always hoping that.

Kaitlin's story about SHIELD is flawed.

Why would Fox need to stage Grease? Who wants to see a crummier and interrupted version of the original but shot through a soap opera camera lens instead of sitting in the audience? Is it because the movie is enjoying modest popularity again? Because that's already waning.
More+
Flag
His American Dad! character, Avery Bullock, has been guest starring a lot this season, he's been in the last four episodes at least. I'd imagine he'd continue to play his part despite Blunt Talk.
Flag
Yup. He also plays the Swansons' baby girl's internal monologue on Family Guy, but 62 episodes of American Dad is a lot.
Flag
EVERYONE knows that Robert April is the greatest Star Fleet captain of all time. You just can't beat the original. Second is probably Thot Pran of the Breen.
Flag
Well, Robert April was the great bird of the galaxy, so he's got that on his side. But he left command to Pike and married his chief medical officer, so how good could he really be? And you'd put Thot Pran over Captain Dathon's performance at El-Adrel IV? Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Flag
Meh, anyone can get themselves killed by an EM field monster. I know I have, many times.
Flag
But he bridged two separate civilizations with only incomprehensible nonsense of metaphors that couldn't work without a pre-existing spoken language.
Flag
Dan Patrick doesn't work for ESPN anymore....or awhile. He works for NBC sports
Flag
Staff
Geez okay fixed that, too. Thanks for the catch! Anybody else?
Flag
James T. Kirk is the best Star Trek captain, Picard is runner-up. I'm sure that's what Tim meant, and it should be quickly corrected. ;-)

Kirk out!
Flag
I just get subjected to that in the mornings if the remote is not in my control and it becomes the soundtrack to my tooth brushing.
Flag
Ha! Kaitlin pondered whether Agent Ward can be redeemed, not the entire show. Silly Tim.
Flag
Staff
Oops, fixed. Although maybe we shoulda left it, perhaps it's 'clickier' that way.
Flag
It's Hedwig and the angry INCH not Itch. Which incidentally is a line in the film version so kudos if you did that intentionally.
Flag
Staff
Hahaha would love to take credit for that but alas, it wasn't. Fixed.
Flag
Seth and Sir Pat on cable? It's going to be Stewart in outrageous mode no doubt. I'm officially in for two seasons. Let's hope Starz doesn't fuck it up like they seem adept at doing with big name/draw actors in off-the-wall and yet fly-on-the-wall shows.
John Singleton would have appeared to have done that sit around the writers' table thing and gone let's hit this from a new angle and chosen a Mexican wrestler, a boy and an obligatory Agent. Well, two out of three aint bad. Or is it? Sounds about as welcome as a crack head offering a blow job for a few bucks - think Menace II Society.
I never imagined ever saying it, but another Lisa Kudrow offering is good news - since, that is, Web Therapy.
Flag
I love Patrick Stewart--the problem is, he ain't funny. I watched him on Saturday Night Live several years ago, and it was the unfunniest thing I've ever seen, and he was trying, but didn't have a clue. Maybe if the direction and writing are superb, but even then...
Flag
He's also done some hilarious spots on Stewart and Colbert.
Flag
He's been pretty funny on the animated Seth MacFarlane shows, he is like Robert Stack in that he knows his role in the humor, it's to deliver the material straight and let the writers make the funny stuff.
Flag
Well then, maybe you've got something JT. I will watch the first one anyway. Maggie got to hang around him at a British-American Chamber of Commerce Christmas party and found him quite pleasant, but when I asked her if he was funny, she said, "Well, he thought he was."
Flag
He was funny in LA Story, "you can have ze chicken". But again, this worked because the material was well-written and he delivered it well, it's not the same as being funny on one's own. Poor Maggie though, I can totally picture that.
Flag
I am not surprised, he does seem especially nice, I've seen him at cons, but he sometimes seems to think he's more interesting than he is, that's what I meant.
Flag
Actually she speaks of that evening rather fondly, said he bought everyone at their table a big wad of raffle tickets and he's a very nice man. I found him that way too when I met him in 1991.
Flag
A new series with Patrick Stewart!MAKE IT SO!!! :)Now get William Shatner to co-star and I'm in Trek heaven! ;D
Flag
Well, looks like I'll be watching The Voice for the first time since season one. Gwen is my girl.
Flag
I could see that working for Patrick Stewart.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members