Jeopardy! Forums

Weekdays 7:30 PM on Sony Pictures TelevisionIn Season

Have you met any Jeopardy! winners?

123home123

[1]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 55
    I was wondering if anyone here has met any winners from the show, whether one-day winners or one of the big winners. I've met one of each. A couple of years ago, I worked with someone who was well versed in his trivia knowledge. Later on, when I was researching the show, I came across a website that lists all of the Jeopardy! contestants by air date. The site also includes a list of one-day record winnings. As I scanned the list, I recognized the name of my former co-worker. I checked the air date for that person and looked at the picture. Yeah, it was actually him! He won over $40,000 on his winning day. (Unfortunately for him, he lost the following game, so he was just a one-day champion.)

In the fall of 2006, I met Ken Jennings at a bookstore appearance while he was promoting his book on the history of American trivia. I got a picture with him and I took a few videos of his talk. I uploaded one of them onto the site and wrote a blog post about it. The speech was lively and humorous. Ken was also adamant about defending the study of trivia, stating that it shows broad learning and good general education among its aficionados.

OK, I located the video. Here it is:

In pursuit of trivia-Ken Jennings
    Edited on 01/29/2008 5:38pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BCzar

[2]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 4
    I've "met" a "Jeopardy!" champ . . .every time I look in a mirror. I was a two-day champ back in '02. If the powers-that-be said I could do it again, but I would only be a two-day champ again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you ever get the chance to at least try out for the game, by all means, GO FOR IT!

123home123

[3]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 55
    Congratulations on winning on the show. That's never easy to do.

I've taken the online Jeopardy test in March 2006 and just a few weeks ago. I think I got a passing score in 2006 but I wasn't one of the people randomly selected to attend the in-person audition in the nearby city.

This year, I was so completely exhausted from long hours at work (until 11 pm, 7 days a week after New Year's Day) that I could barely keep my eyes open for the online test. Just like the in-person tests, the online test is demanding. You have 15 seconds to type in answers for each of 50 different questions. Unlike the show, you didn't have to phrase answers in the form of a question. I was so tired that I couldn't even come up with answers like Halle Berry and Marcel Duchamp, even though I'm very familiar with those two very different people. Five minutes after the test ended, the names popped into my head.

I'll definitely try again next year. Hopefully I'll get more rest beforehand. I also have to bone up on my Shakespeare and English kings and queens.
    Edited on 02/18/2008 11:08pm

carrieanna

[4]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 8
    Congrats BCzar! I don't think I've ever met a Jeopardy winner, but maybe I have and didn't know it? lol I'd like to meet Ken Jennings. His book was very intelligent and entertaining. I'd LOVE to be on Jeopardy some day!

blueeyedgirlie6

[5]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 1
    My former college professor was on there last night (Greg, 1/14/09). He ended up winning, so I'm tuning in tonight to see if he can keep it up. No idea if he's home yet, our opposite schedules keep us from seeing each other on campus, but I'd guess more than likely he probably is home.

Considering the college we both go to is pretty small, this is a pretty big thing for my area

rocket16

[6]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    One of my teachers one once but I have no idea when it was or how much money he won.

bernkopf

[7]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 3
    no but I've emailed some of the big winners on facebook

BCzar

[8]Sep 21, 2014
    • level: 4

I read Jennings book. Throughout it, he asks trivia questions, but there was one mistake: he asks "In 'Chinatown', why is Evelyn Mulwray all sweaty the first time she meets Jake Gittes? (or something like that). Answer: she had been horseback riding. However, that's incorrect. She had been riding before their SECOND meeting. The first time they meet, Evelyn comes to Jake's office threatening to sue him for saying that she hired him to spy on her husband.