Jeremiah

To Sail Beyond the Stars

Aired Friday 10:45 PM Mar 29, 2002 on Showtime

• A complete letdown after two previous episodes.

After Captain Iron and mad Priestley in the last two episodes, this was a complete dud. It seems that someone told the writers that we need an episode in which we will get the soap opera treatment coated in all the love and heroism the protagonists can muster. It begins well; the "burners" idea is good and will probably get revisited in the future. Even better was the map of comings-and-goings of all people - but that was to take a back seat to the love interest. And, as soon as the love interest began - the episode was lost. The love scene between Jeremiah and whatshername is about 20 minutes long and nauseating - and could be completed in two minutes without a problem. However, soccer moms must have been the target here (reinforced by Kurdy's delivering of the baby - and then leaving it along with the mom, by the way). Now, even if we consider that this way somehow a part of the plot - deciding to forego the MUCH more important burners & map storyline is a poor decision (because neither were explored further in the episode) - and I do hope this was something the writers were coerced into doing - because this is how you ruin a perfectly good post-apocalyptic story.