Jericho

Casus Belli

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2007 on CBS

• Jake and Hawkins save the episode and New Bern vs Jericho. Its on

Another decent installment of Jericho, a different episode to what has previously been on. Showing the neighbouring town of New Bern and how badly they have it. I say it was a decent installment and nothing more because once again Hawkins and Jake saved this episode from becoming very average and dull. I take marks down from the score because of the subplots, they just didnt seem interesting to me. However because of jake and hawkins in New Bern and the ending i give it more points. Looks like we're in for quite the season finale in jericho
  • More trouble for Jericho...

Jake is worried when Eric doesn't return with the rest who went to New Bern. It seems that something is amiss at New Bern so Jake enlists Hawkins to go with him to find out. What they find is a factory that now is a mortar making factory with the intent on raiding Jericho. The reason for the attack on Jericho? Anderson has been spilling lies about Jericho hoarding food and supplies amongst other lies to incite an angry mob into a frenzy attack. Jake finds Eric alright. In jail, where he lands when he gets himself in trouble which is his second favorite thing to do. Now Hawkins must defend Jericho.
  • Review

I mean...the episode was good but I dont think its as great as everyone makes it out to be. Just because the episode excels in a couple of scenes doesnt make it the best of the season. You have to look at all of the aspects of an episode before you give it a rating, not disregard the filler scenes and only grade the good ones. Jake/Hawkins scenes were a 10, but the rest of the episode was a little under par.

I thought Dale/Sklars part of the episode was the most boring I have ever seen there storyline. I have been one of the ones that has liked their storyline since the start and I was dissapointed by the lame storyline that they came up with them with Grey in this episode.

I also didnt like any of the scenes with Johnston and Mary, I thought they were all pretty boring and filler. Couple of things that might have gotten then attention of a viewer who likes Mary/Eric, but other then that nothing really there.

Ending? Obviosuly pretty cool as it looks like we have the story arch for the remaining episodes. But not the top 5 episodes of the season as the rating makes it out to be.
  • Casus belli is a modern Latin language expression meaning the justification for acts of war.

I had been live blogging this review when the power went out (and the batteries weren't in my laptop D'OH). So I'll try to write from memory what I had first written down. I was determined only to look for positive things in this show, and for the first time I did not go away disappointed. In short order;

1) Some of the turbines come back, apparently operational (could they be sabotaged or boobytrapped), minus a few citizens of Jericho. Naturally this leads to a fact finding mission (jake and Hawkins, who else?). 2) Nice to see that Johnston Green is at least willing to cross the fence and make amnds and help out at the bar while his wife is still holding a pointless grudge.

3) Upon arrival in New Bern, Jake and Hawkins encounter a perimeter defense. Smart move, and makes me wonder why Jericho isn't much more proactive at defense.

4) Jimmy is smarter than might appera and that's a good idea at pumping a kid for information.

5) Oh yeah, Jake and Hawkins find maps of Jericho, replete with resource dispositions on a map (unguarded naturally). Looks like planning stages for a war.

6) And then money shot....the turbine factory is a munitions factory (which would explain why none of the Jericho hostages were allowed to go around unescorted)

7)The use of torture to gain information is a valid tool of war (not nice, but hey), but it only becomes believeable if you believe someone capable of it. Hawkins seems credible.

8) And the whole show comes together in the closing minutes as the citizens of New Bern are goaded into war (highly reminiscent of what Marcus Antonius was purported to have done after Julius Caesar's assasination with the Roman crowds). This is the esential definition of this particular episode; the how and why that societies go to war. Ignoring honor and history, you are left with the fight over scarce resources. Starting off slowly, this particular show seems a tad stale, but quickly picks up steam. Leaving behind Jericho, Hawkins an Jake leave behind the soap opera limitations that have hurt this show, Simply put, this episode got better and better as it progressed.

Not much to complain about. Even Skylar and Dake weren't too annoying in this one.

Now, a little bit more consistency in the writing please. more like this, Black Jack or Heart of Winter, and less like A.K.A. please.

Tom
  • The only thing that really bothers me is if Heather is really dead. I liked her and find her death unnecessary. I was almost tempted to give a 1 based on that but then that would not be giving the rest of the episode a fair shake.

Jake and Hawkins. I have a feeling we're going to see this team up a lot more. Why, because it works! These two get together, things happen.

Now, if there is one person I'd like to see die, that's Gray. Sorry, he is useless. It's obvious he became mayor to grab power, not for the best interest of Jericho. Everything is falling apart around him and he's screaming "My way or the highway!" His lack of compassion is going to get the town in serious trouble.

When Jake and Hawkins do find out what's going on, I have to give it to the writers for their smarts in this one. Hawkins tries to make Jake stay, Jake bolts and is soon captured. Then he finds his brother and the news that Heather is dead. That part hurt me because I liked her and thought her character could go pretty far. I figured they were going for the classic love triangle with complications, but in every step, they've removed them, dead wife, fiance leaves, rival dead. Hope this means they're sticking more to the action.

I really liked Hawkins "torture" technique. "The fear is more important. Torture is stuff you see in the movies." Got a great laugh out of that! So now the brothers are captured and held up as an example of why Jericho should be attacked. Even though the reference is Roman, couldn't help but think of Hitler here. Convincing the uninformed masses to blame someone else for their problems and to go to war for your own gain. But there is still an Ace in the Hole, Hawkins. Can't wait to see what happens next week! This is becoming one of the top shows of the season.
  • When Eric doesn't return from New Bern, Jake and Hawkins go exploring.

Superb episode.

When the men helping to build wind turbines in New Bern are returned early, but Eric isn't with them, Jake and Hawkins go exploring and discover that the mayor of New Bern is planning a war against Jericho and he's telling lies to the population in order to gain support.
    He using a factory to make ammunition and when Eric and Heather found out, Eric was imprisoned and Heather was killed.

This was a real thriller of an episode with the main storyline as detailed above increasing the tension again and again.

A minor storyline showed that Gail and Johnston have difference ways to dealing with April's death, Eric's absence and with Mary.

Skylar tries to be emancipated so she is free to do with the salt mine as she pleases. Mayor Gray doesn't agree with that.
  • It's about time wars started. The town seemed too isolated from the consequences of the bombs.

I just loved this episode. Can't wait to see how the conflict evolves. War is one of my favourite themes and I must say they did it right. All the reasons for it are there. Mainly the resource strain and greed. It seems that mayor Anderson thinks too much about himself and too little about others, not to say that he starts bending the law and that's why people will take justice into their own hands. On the other hand people in New Bern are hungry and have a factory which was transformed so it can produce mortars. All they need is a pretext to raid Jericho as the plan is already made. There are all the ingredients needed for a bloodbath and it will be hard to avoid it as things have already been set in motion. It's time to see how good is Hawkins was trained because this kind of situations should not be strange to CIA.

Offcourse this episode is not all about war. In fact there isn't any shot fired, but this is what interested me as I really wanted to see how the winter crysis will be solved.
  • Question about Episode 19 - i hope someone can help

Is it me, or have I completley missed an episode in which they meet the people of New Burn. The episode where April dies.

Can someone help on that. I just do not understand when did Eric & the men went to work there How did April die...I don't get it.
    I follow this show week by week. Please help if you can.

Thanks!
  • Jericho vs. New Bern.

I must say that this episode was really exciting to watch. It had no romance storyline going on, just the actual story going more further to answer some more questions. I do hope that Heather isn't dead though, I know there is a rumour someone does die soon, but we never saw a body or the footage of her death. It shows that Jericho better be more worried about their town then before. The mayor should make that salt deal, because I think he needs all the help he can get. It's just too bad the two towns can't get along better. Each to their own I guess. I really enjoy that Jake and Hawkins have teamed up. Out of everyone on this show, those two are the smartest, physically and intelligently.
  • This show is getting better and better!

I was really impressed with this episode. The chemistry between Jake and Hawkins is great, and they make a good team. There were a couple of predictable moments, like Jake getting caught and finding his brother in jail, but the manufacturing of weapons in New Bern totally caught me off guard, as did their propaganda to push for war with Jericho!

I hope Heather isn't really dead, because she was a good character. I'm excited for the last few episodes of the season! Let's see how Hawkins gets Jake and Eric out of trouble and what the people of Jericho will be able to do to protect themselves. Something tells me a certain secret weapon may come into play...
  • Marvelous episode!

Bonnie (signing): Thank you.
    Stanley: For what?
    Bonnie: Letting Sean stay.
    Stanley: You're welcome.
    Bonnie: And for not calling him an idiot, even when he is one.
    Stanley: Okay, if you know that...
    Mimi (clears throat): Sorry, just a little frog in my throat. Don't let me interrupt your nice sibling bonding moment. That's what it is, right?
    Bonnie (continues signing): Sean can be an idiot, but he can also be really great. All guys are like that, you have to put up with the "idiot" stuff...to get to the "great" stuff.
    Stanley (chuckles): Yeah? And where did you come by that little pearl of wisdom?
    (Bonnie points at Mimi)
    Mimi: What'd she say about me?

Oh what would i do without these awesome "family" moments!
  • The Truth about what happens in New Bern... Territory fight for the salt mine... some Mary-Johnston and Stanley back home moments.

OK.
    Definitely what you expect from Jericho. 2 major action storylines and 2 relationships ones.
    Jake and Hawkins sneaking back in New Bern after Ted explained something was off. That's the least you could say when discovering a weapon factory :? Somehow Jake ends up in trouble again (but hey it's Jake we're talking about here so what else could have happened right? I swear Mama Green is gonna have a heart attack someday) and good thing coming out of bad, he ends up in jail... with Eric. Unfortunately Heather seems to be dead.
    All this part of the story is really good. It just sets the plot for the upcoming episodes and the season finale (and yes I am saying season and not series !! no way it could not be renewed). Action is building up and things are not gonna be pretty. Constantino doesn't appear to be willing to let things run smoothly although Russel is struggling back in Jericho to get a deal keep the 'peace'. That's exactly why I am watching and loving Jericho. Tight plot, some disturbing news, a reckless Jake...

So what back in Jericho ?? Dale and Skylar are trying to make a deal with Russel and let him use the salt mine. Of course Mayor Gray is not quite a reluctant about it and things heat up a little. Russel hints that it may still be better than the other option... oh oh not good !! I really think Russel would make a great Jericho citizen next season. Maybe they can make an exchange with Dale ?? I swear this boy is nothing but trouble. Quite the annoying type, playing around with everyone in order to get what's best for him : the perfect punching-ball - sorry personal opinion here.
    That story as well should be developing in quite an interesting manner next week, with both camps meeting at the salt mine to gain control over it... blood bath en vue.

As for a softer tone... we have some interesting scenes between Mary and Johnston, leaving Gail quite jealous at home waiting. Back at Stanley's Farm finally comes the humour strand when Stanley finds out Sean settled in and he turns out to be quite the annoying type !!

All in all. A very good episode, marking a new development in the main story. Definitely a must watch !! So just sit back and ENJOY !! And I'm going back to watching it, because I probably missed a couple things the first time :D
  • Jericho is at its best!

This is what season 1 of Jericho is coming to. We went throught quite alot of soap opera episodes in the first half and survival and this is what the big plot it. New Bern vs Jericho New Bern has pretty much unilimited weapons and explosives and many men and Jericho has the men but not enough supplies. The people in charge of New Bern are bastards, liars, kidnappers and soon theves and murderers. Sure, they need to survive but what did Jericho ever do to them. I am falling in love with Jericho and the rest of the season will build up on the big war which starts in 2 episodes time!
  • Saving the best till last.

The writers have put in place a new threat to Jericho, a neighbouring town called New Bern who seem hell bent on attacking Jericho after supposedly sending Ravenwood to there town to attack them, so now they want payback. This all came to light after Eric doe’s not return with the other men from New Bern after making the wind turbines so Jake along with his new accomplice Hawkins go and find out where he is, after being turned away by the New Bern’s mayor and sheriff, knowing Eric’s in trouble they decide to do a bit of snooping and find a munitions factory, Jake is captured and placed in prison where he finds his brother, he also learns that Jericho is in trouble and Heather is dead.

As we reach towards the end of this fascinating and exciting series Jericho is building up for a thrilling and cliffhanging seasonal finale.
  • When it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. Jericho is in deep trouble from the town of New Hope. What Jake and Hawkins find there could have grave impact on the lives and livelihood of the residents of Jericho.

Jake and Hawkins go in search for Eric and Heather and find nothing but bad news. Not only are things looking bad in New Hope, bad is gearing up to come to Jericho. The more deals that are made, the more they go bad. It's a double-triple-quadruple-cross of re-renegotiated bad deals and mayhem: and everyone is vying for a stake in the outcome. Authority means nothing and everything, depending on which side of the cant-take-the-truth fence you find solace on. It seems the only way anyone can survive is to pull together for a greater cause, yet so many are fending for so few. You can't stop watching now!
  • ka-boom!

Damn it, how can he do that?! to destroy Jericho? It's good that Jack and Robert are working together, cause for sure they will stop this madness! I mean, Robert was prepared for this kind of situations.

Not Jericho is the one who should prepare, constantino and New Bern should do that, because Jack will revenge Heather's deth! And not only ... but they will see after!

And poor Mary, it's hard for Gail to accept her, but i think she will .. one day, they will become best friends. But for the moment, I understand her cold for Mary, but at less it's good that Green is trying to accept her and make his wife do that to, even is a little bit difficult.
  • Spectacular episode - good follow up to A.K.A with Hawkins and Jake teaming up. And.... Season 2 is a GO! "OohRah!"

This episode is the set up for the story arc that will conclude Season 1 with a building conflict between Jericho and New Bern; and, according to Producers, the death of one of the town’s leaders. Who will it be?

The Jericho men taken to New Bern are unexpectedly brought back early with 4 of the windmills they helped build --- but Eric is not among them. Russell, Heathers friend, says trouble is brewing because they think Jericho wont pay for the windmills with food and salt as agreed. The Crockett and Tubbs ("Miami Vice") of Jericho team up and head to New Bern to find out what happened to Eric and uncover the New Bern mystery. After a short visit to town they see the town hall all shot up and children who are very hungry. They are told they dont know where Eric is, so Hawkins and Jake get a tip to meet in a trailer park - they grab a deputy and Hawkins proceeds to do his Jack Bauer ("24") imitation to get answers; and explains to Jake it not actual torture that gets results, its the threat of torture. They are shocked to find that Constantino and his cronies are planning to conquer Jericho and divide up Jericho themselves like feudal lords. Jake manages to get himself caught by the guards while Hawkins escapes and makes plans to rescue Jake. Jake is put in a cell across from Eric and finds out that Heather discovered the factory was primarily being used to make bombs and mortars; and also reveals Heather is DEAD - or is she? Sheriff Constantino drags Jake and Eric before his people and tells them lies such as Jericho sending Ravenwood to attack them, hoarding food while the people of New Bern starve and sending Jake and Eric as spies. Hawkins lurks in the darkness waiting for the moment attempt a rescue. The visit to New Bern shows how desperate things have become in urban areas that cant grow their own food. You can survive without power, but not without food. One can only imagine what larger cities are going through with the food production and distribution networks in chaos.

This episode sets up an action packed ending to Season 1 - The big news this week came from Jerichos producers with the news we have all been waiting for: Ask the Producers response to a Jericho Wiki viewers question about the final episode of Season 1 - "Episode 22...is most definitely not a series finale! In fact, by the time it’s over,you’ll have some great clues about where our story is headed in its second season." YES !!!!!
  • great episode

Stanley and the other guys come home to Jericho earlier than expected. When Eric doesn't come back with them, Jake starts to worry and asks Hawkins for help in finding him. Jake and Hawkins head off to New Bern in search of Eric. When they get there, they are greeted by gun wielding citizens. The leader of the town Constantino tells them that Ravenwood passed through New Bern and terrorized everyone. One of New Bern's citizens tell Jake and Hawkins something that they're not aware of. This episode shows a mystery that gives the show another dimension, we're now in a totally different territory. This episode was well made.
  • Civil War?

After the men return for New Bern early without Eric and the news that they we suddenly sent home early makes Jake suspicions so he takes Hawkins with him too see what is going on there. After being told that Eric left on his own Jake and Hawkins who did not believe that went back in and found that they were preparing to attack Jericho because their mayor was lying to the people that Jericho was hording food and they stuck ravenwood on them. At the end of the episode Jake gets caught and put in Jail where he see Eric. This episode makes me wonder what would I do if I found myself in a similar situation and I am told that a neighboring town is hording food and made life here worse by sending people over that will take everything that we have. would I want to attack them to get food or not? O This was a very good episode I really hope that it gets renewed for a second season
  • I could have chosen a dozen classifications for what to call this episode. I chose a series classic because of what stood out the most. What we all have been waiting for since the day we learned Hawkins wasnt your typical man.

Since the day Hawkins was let on to us that he was not your average Jericho civilian, we have noticed he is one of the two strongest all around characters in the show. With the other character obviously being Jake, tonight we got what we all have been waiting for. Jake and Hawkins working together, alone, with trust, and most importantly with no secrets. In the beginning we werent sure if they would go head to head or team up. In tonight's series classic we finally got to see a greatly written episode where the two team up to what leads to them having to stop the end of there town. I thought last week was great. This week blew it away. The show keeps getting better and the writers keep giving us every piece of storyline we need without shoving dribble down are throats just to fit something in. I cant wait for next week but Ill miss the time off. Hopefully we will get it back next season. By far, tonight.... series classic!
  • Review

OMG!

This was quite an episode. I kinda had an inkling as to what New Burn had planned, but not quite to this extent. With only 3 episodes left, things are about to get much worse. I know I keep saying that, but this is the type of show where things get much worse before they get better. If this gets picked up for another season, it would be interesting to find out how they will continue the story. I guess once we watch the finale, that would give some idea as to where the show is going. At this point, I don't have a clue, but I'm along for the ride.

I would almost give this episode a 12.