Jericho

Coalition of the Willing

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 02, 2007 on CBS

• Don't they have a tank?

I can't stop wondering why the Jericho guys did not bother to use the tank that they acquired a few episodes ago. Even if they did not have ammo for the main gun, or the machine gun, the armor alone would be a huge advantage. As long as they had diesel, they might only get 200km out of it. The New Bern guys would have done no damage with AK's and .308's

They could have used it to get close to the mortars or just drive right into New Bern. The largest weapon they (New Bern) has (that has been shown) are the mortars; and to hit a moving tank with a homemade mortar would be somewhat improbable.

So again I wonder ... why would they not use their tank?
  • Before you disagree, hear me out.

6.7
    So it's the direct lead up to the season 1 finale. Some scenes in the episode deserved a 10/10 where other "silly" scenes and things deserved a 4/10. I was expecting a lot more. I will use the pros and cons method of reviewing:

Cons:
    -They had 4 hours to prepare an army and deffense and take out their morters. Jake and the gang who came back form New Bern new how cruel they are and they didn't really want to negotiate yet for 4 hours they sat in that bloddy office doing nothing.
    -Why couldn't they use the TANK?!?
    -They were later given another hour, sure some of them tried to do stuff, (this is before they got help) but why didn't they gather the citizens and give them weapons before. How stupid can they get!
    -The first half was really average for the reasons above and also, when Stanley and the look outs went to savage the morters, who come we couldn't see what was going on. Instead we just were watching a radio. Why didn't the producers make that a scene?!?

Pros:
    -Sure the scene where Jonah and Jake took out one of the Morter sites was brilliant and the rest of that episode deserved a clear 10 out of 10.
  • Before you disagree, hear me out.

6.7

Cons:
    -Why couldn't they use the TANK?!?

Pros:
  • Stephen King, in "The Stand," wrote, "Show me a man or woman alone and I'll show you a saint...Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare." This is the premise of this episode. Despiration, fear, hunger, anger=war.

This review will include spoilers.

While the acting continues to annoy me, I continue to watch because I'm curious as to where the story will go next. In "The Stand," a favorite read of mine, societies rebuild after a superflu takes out the majority of the world population. The question: Will society repeat its mistakes? Will technology be used to help or hinder? Will desperation, fear, hunger, and anger lead to war? History has shown that society does indeed continue the cycle. This episode features this such cycle. It deals with the ramifications of the rivalry between New Bern and Jericho as New Bern bombs Jericho for land and goods. It features some really good scenes. My thoughts:
    *I was happy to see the Hawkins family reunited and the secrets revealed. *The clear divide between Gray and Jake's family is a bit too heavy-handed. Both are just trying to help and trying to paint one as always right and the other as always wrong is...well...wrong. Still, the buildup to the standoff and almost overthrow was pretty good. I felt the tension. The later joining of the two groups served as lead in for the season finale and as a conclusion to this rivalry between the two leaders. *Enough with the male machismo. Nice to see Emily featured as a scout and both women and men as soldiers. It was sad to see children getting their own guns…such is life in wartime. *Desperation isn't the only thing that can lead to an unhealthy society. Greed does also. While I respect the character growth in Dale, I’m glad to see him rejoining society, caring about the town and not about the profit. *The return of Jonah would have been great had the writers not continued to perpetuate him as a stock character, as the thief that is only “bad.” Jonah made the difficult decision of killing that man. The scene in the truck bed with Johnston showed that, whether from Jericho or New Bern, all survivors are in the same boat. It’s not bad vs. good. It’s need vs. need. It’s civilization stripped. As such, though inhumane, Jonah’s murder of the man was realistic. If you don’t kill him now, he’ll come after you because he has to. When he first said, "If New Bern doesn't take Jericho, somebody else will," truer words were never spoken. There will always be an invading army.
    *Johnston’s last lines… “pray for us and the people of New Bern.” Nicely done. The last scene as they hand out the guns: good song choice. Sad but necessary to survive.
  • Coalition of the the many!

Although Hawkins managed to blow up the mortar weapon factory in New Bern, New Bern has stockpiled several hundreds. Those mortars find their way to Jericho's streets. A demand by that S.O.B. mayor from New Bern for farms or Jericho gets it falls on deaf ears and Jericho is hit again. Gray freaks when he realizes his town is under attack and realizes he has to do something...as if! Heather is no where to be seen but Jonah reappears. Hawkins comes through again with an armory full of guns and ammunition. It's no longer the United States, it's no longer brotherly American love, it's down to survive or die.
  • Great piece of Jericho, homo homini lupus at his best

This is one of the most exciting Jericho episode. Homo homini lupus: when new bern people need to eat they try to conquer jericho. But what happened to Jericho's tank, the one they took from the fake marine division ? Well that is going to be very useful in the following war with New Bern. The thing most appreciated by me is that everything is very realistic on the narration side. With no more federal governement every town is trying to get the resource from the closer neighbour, this is exactly what had happened from the very start of human history to nowadays. One of the best episode of the whole serie.
  • Definitely one of the best episodes of this serie.

First I had some really second thought if to watch this serie but for episodes like this, it shows that this serie has so much to offer. They have great characters and the story, motion... It really catches the eye and you just cannot notice when those 42 minutes pass. And when it is over, you cannot wait for another episode.

What this episode has special? I think this episode is somehow turn point - when season started with big boom, then got some slow tunes and then started to build the heat, then now everything explodes. And not only literally.

So, this is most episode - and get ready as after this, you just have to see the season finale!
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bgggggg hh lksjdf mskjhse mhzef mhuzerfs moshgdfg iuers kshfks jsfbhs iugser ugser ygsf sufser ms f ierfgsgsdgdt fgsd dgr dg g g g g g g g g g g g g g gs s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s ss s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s ss s s s
  • The best episode since the first.

The experience provided by seeing the mushroom cloud made the first episode a must see after setting up what looked to be a 90210/OC/et al copy cat series.

Fast forward to now and have two towns fighting for their very survival. New Bern where unprepared when the mercenaries attacked and that setup this coming war needs what Jericho has to survive and the sheriff there has built up the notion that Jericho directed the attack they faced.

Gray shows his lack of true leadership skills when he first sends Jericho men straight into an ambush rather than take the advice of the military men and later when he's willing to capitulate to the New Bern demands.

Thanks to the work of Jake, his family, Hawkins and the town's criminal element they overcome the first attack.

But all out war is coming... The season finale is going to be one hell of an episode if this is just the precursor too it.
  • No more nice small towns anymore.

It is too bad these two towns couldn't have pulled their resources together and work with each other, instead of killing each other. With all the rest of the country fighting, these towns need each other. But too much bloodshed has happened. It's funny that Grey Anderson and Johnston have seemed to reverse rolls. Grey was always the attack guy with no holds barred, now he's chicken and will give up easy (he HAS made some very bad decisions, and if my loved one died because of him, I would want his head on a stick), and Johnston has become the 'military' leader in a way. I'm glad they are working together now, maybe Jericho will survive. No more fishing derbies for a while.
  • New Bern starts to bomb Jericho with mortar shells.

Fabulous episode full of tension and drama, major drama and human drama.

The human drama was shown by Mary welcoming back Eric and by Emily, witnessing her father shooting someone from New Bern in cold blood. Johnston's appeal to Dale for help was very poignant.

Gray finally has to admit that he needs Johnston's help in dealing with what amounts to civil war and a hostile invasion.

I loved Hawkins' comment about how he never expected Jericho to become his home and I loved that he and his wife seem to have resolved at least some of their differences.

The scene were Jake is offering a weapon to everyone willing to accept one is scary.

Outstanding episode!!
  • Great episode, I was bored by some of the earlier episodes, but this one has stood out!

This series hasnt been the most appealing for me. Firstly, the acting seems awful and the characters are very uncomplicated and dull at the best of times. Although, this episode was incredibly exciting and the plot makes up for the lack of character development. This series seems to be a cross between Little House on the Prairie and Band of Brothers. This episode kept me entertained for the full 42 minutes.
  • Great show in an amazing series.

This episode has the best use of a popular song in it. When the acoustic of Times like These by the Foo Fighters is played and Stanley (with no Armed Forces experience) scouts the activities in New Bern. It almost seemed like the song was written for that moment. "I'm . . I'm a little divided, do I stay or run away, and leave it all behind" while Stanley is running for cover to get into a better position, made the hairs on my arms stand up. It is already a powerful song but used in this episode made for one of the greatest TV moments I have ever witnessed.
  • There’s a saying which sum’s this episode up “Cometh the hour, Cometh the man”.

With new Bern attacking Jericho with mortars after their deadline passed to give up Farms and other resources one man kept his head whilst others lost there’s, that man was Johnston Green.

Yes I know there was other stand-out hero’s such as Jake, Eric, Hawkins and Stanley but even at points in the episode they lost control of the situation, Johnston confronted everyone’s fears took control and got the job done, the man even turned Dales greediness down when he asked him for help. In my opinion this episode has been the best so far with only A.K.A to come close.
  • isn't that nice!?

what a jerk, ... this Constantino, how he shoot with those amorses, he made a lot of damages! Luckly for Jericho cause Hawkins lives there ;) cause without him ... a lot of negative things would happened to Jericho and to green family! It was a touching moment when Hawking and his wife were kissing :D i'm glad theat they are bad together! And Grey Anderson ... damn, he is so stupid, Stanley almost died because of him! He's lucky with Johnston, cause otherwise ... he doesn't manage to lead this city alone, because of his foolish!

And to don't forget about Emily and hes father, cause if her father wouldn't get there on time to help the good guys, probably they were dead by now! well ... he did show some selfish by tacking everything .. guns and things like that, he could let something like his daughter to be safely!

It was a good episode! Hope we will see some action on the next episodes!
  • The best episode yet! What's in store for Jericho next??

This has been my favorite show since it 1st came on. This episode just had me on the edge of my seat. The writing and acting was awesome! Gerald Mcraney is tops in my book. The others are great too but there is just something so special about Mcraney's acting. He's a one of a kind and shows it in this episode.
  • Fantastic!!! The plotlines are all coming together. The story is riveting! I can't wait for the season finale. Next season is seeming years away.

Wonderful program. I can't wait to see it every week. This episode is a stand alone great one. I love how they are inclusive to each episode but still lead you to the next full force. Classic serial, wonderful plot driven television. The characters seem as you could know them yourself. And it's interesting to see how "normal" people react under incredible duress. Amazing show!!!
  • Review

Well deserved of the highest rating among season 1 episodes, certianly my favorite episode of the season up until this point. This episode had everything you could ever want - no filler scenes and a main plot throughout the entire episode. The only scene you could say was filler was Mary and Erics reuniion, but nobody can say that wasnt a needed part of the episode to begin with.

Everything is coming to a head this season, with Jericho fighting for its survival with the rival town of New Burn. Jericho and Jonah won the first round of battles that consisted of gaining weapons that New Burn was using to hit them, but the fight has only just begun.

I thought the scene with everyone taking over the New Burn people with the mortors was a great scene. Everyone was in it that we have grown to love this season. Also like the unspoken decline in power that was Gray and Johnsons scene. Gray realized that there is no way he can make the big decisions under pressure like Johnson can and I thought that was a very well written part in terms of the show for character devolopment. All sets up for an exciting finale, lets hope it doesnt dissapoint.
  • great episode

Jericho wakes up one day to be shelled by a couple of mortar rounds. The mortars land right next to the town hall injuring some residents. They receive a message from constantino demanding that jericho gives up a number of their farms in exchange for a peaceful coexistence. When Jericho refuses to comply with the demands of constantino they get shelled again. Mayor Anderson talks of surrendering and accepting the terms of New Bern, but a few of the residents of Jericho are hardened souls, they wouldn't give in easily. This episode is pivotal to the storyline of the series, it's starting to get exciting.
  • great episode

• Jericho is attacked by New Bern.

This episode had me on the edge of my seat while I watched it. I can tell you that this episode made me hate Grey evan more than I have done in past episodes. I can not believe that he did not think that New Bern would not have had more men around the cannons and that alot of Jericho men died. I was happy to see Johan in a episode again and that he was also helping out Jericoh after they told him to never come back but I can say i was not surprised that he took everything. I was really surprised that Hawkins had all of those guns and that he let his daughter have one to fight. I was shocked that no one asked where he got all of those guns?
  • ooooo yeah!

In this corner Jake and the Good guys, In this corner the whole freakin town of New Bern, freshly brain washed to think Jericho is the devils spawn. Classic small group of "nobody's" vs jacked up, hardcore militia. Now that we have seen that Gray can't do what needs to be done (not to mention sending Stanley and the Rangers out to die vs the New Bern Mortar Squad) we have one of the best scenes in TV this year (well for me I guess.) Jake has just gotten back with Hawkins (who just happens to be acting the role of a good dad and husband) from the storage shed/armory when he stands up in the back of the truck and surmises that the only way they can hope to save their town is for every well bodied person 16 or older to bear arms for the sake of their community. Cut the scene to where we see Dale and his guys come on down and the part when we see hawkins give his daughter a rifle, I'd be lying if I said I didn't stand up for that scene. Next week will either be a huge slam fest with lot's of Blood and gore and a huge body count or a huge twist if something else were to happen. The only thing that has me wondering is the part at the end when we see Stanley on Recon and he approaches a huge armed camp. Now correct me if you think I am wrong but it seemed way to organized to be New Bern. I'm thinking plot twist involving US troops or Ravenwood is a good possibilty. Well guess I'll have to wait till next week....
  • Theyre not in Kansas any more... Or at least the one they knew before the bombs.

People will look back and see this is the episode where everything changed. Things go from bad to worse: First New Bern tries to force Jerichos surrender along with taking most of its farmland. The the mortars begin landing in Jericho... and everything changes.

Gray Anderson proves once and for all he is not fit to lead Jericho in times like these. In fact, hes downright dangerous - Gray shifts from decisions that are recklessly impulsive to freezing up like a deer in the headlights; after his actions result in the deaths of several Jericho men whom Gray ordered stop the mortar attacks against the sound advice of Johnston Green. During an attempt to capture a New Bern supply truck for use as a Trojan Horse to stop the mortars, a face from the past, Jonah Prowse, joins up with Jake, Emily, Hawkins and Johnston to stop the mortar attacks in one heck of a fire fight. Ending with Jonah brutally dealing brutally with a wounded man and taking nearly all of the captured materials. At heart, Jonah admits to Emily hes just a thief.

Constantino reacts predictably with the ominous words "This is War" and says they will show no mercy toward Jericho. Gray Anderson finally admits he is in way over his head and says "Johnston, I need your help." Johnston Green then takes effective control of Jericho with a stirring speech that inspires the people to take up arms to defend their own existence. One by one they step forward to take an M-16 from the Hawkins arsenal. Even Dale steps forward after Johnston looks him square in the eye. Allison Hawkins steps up and take an M-16 from her father to fight beside him as he kisses her on the forehead - she is clearly a chip off the old block. Finally, in the darkness, Stanley peers though binoculars into the New Bern camp that is preparing to attack Jericho. Episode was tense from start to finish; the hour just flew by. What would we do in a similar circumstance? Would we fight our former neighbors? Could we pull the trigger? Or would we flee? Next weeks finale is looking like the best episode of the series with the return of popular character (you know who!) and one heck of battle where they finally deploy the TANK... New Bern doesnt realize what theyve gotten themselves into. Its the calm before the storm: Looks like rain.
  • Great episode.

Jericho started of as a very promising series, but then it kinda.. sucked for a long time. It got boring, unintereseting, predictable and the list goes on. I just watched to get to the bottom of what actually happend. But then, a few episodes ago, it got really exciting and it was all leading up to this episode that put the series way over the top, where it belongs.
    The all out war, Gray admitting he needs Johnston's help, Joshua back in the picture, the way Dale as a character has progressed, it's great. I can hardly wait for the next episode.
  • This gets better and better....

Another great episode, you can see the pains of this conflict and the whole evolution of the end of western civilization is starting to take its toll on the citizens of Jericho. Gray is near his breaking point, finally admitting he is in over his head. The citizens look tired and frazzled, the battle for their survial should be intense. I think all the people of Jericho have finally realized that this a battle for their lives and that life will never be the same in the new world carved out by the lunatics who started the bombing. This show keeps getting better each week and this episode was just another example. We got reintroduced to old characters (Jonah), learn new things about old characters (Dale)and see Johnston return to power in an unoffical way. Can't wait for the finale...!!!
  • What was that popping soun? Oh, Gray finally got his head out of his butt! And Hawkins is officially the man! And when you make a deal with the Devil, you will get burned!

Jericho is attacked by mortars from New Bern. Gray sends a bunch of farmers out to supress them, without Johnston. No military guy, they get repelled, with extreem predjudice! This weighs heavy on Gray as he is FINALLY beginning to figure out there's more to being a mayor (in this New World Order) than just talking tough and sending in the troups. When he asks for Johnston's help, it's about time!

We also see the return of Jonah and he remains a snake. Makes a deal, helps them, then renigs. I can't say I disagree with his murder of the truck driver, it's war and war is not pretty. There's a whole philisophical discussion on negotiation, civil disobedience (on New Bern's part) and peace vs. war but that's not what this show is about. However, this part did lead to THE best revelation in the show. When Jake ponders what they're going to do without guns, Hawkins simply replies, "Guns are easy." and shows him an amory full of weapons. More than enough to equip Jericho. That really blew me away. And speaking of Hawkins, I'm glad to see his wife finally gets it! He hasn't been away playing with toy soldier or reinacting Civil War battles, he been trying to save the country! When the mortars hit, I think that's when reality finally sank in, that what he does is real and failure has had major consequences. The barbarians are at the gate, Rome is falling. Now isn't the time to complain to your soldier husband why he's never been home. Now is the time to stand behind him because he's the only thing between you and certain death.

A second popping sound was heard, that was Dale snapping back to reality. Nice to know you can own so much land, won't mean much if you're DEAD! The finall scene where he and his men join the fight, Hawkins gives a gun to his daughter, Jake gives one to his dad, if that wasn't wrenching your gut don't know what will. One last note, that tease with Heather in the previews better not be some flashback or something. She better be alive! and stay that way! However, I do fear that Johnston is going to fall in the seaons finally. Gray may fall too. This would leave Jake "in charge", with Hawkins at his side. I really can't see these two going anywhere.

Also, why do I get the feeling Jonah's going to pull a Han Solo?
  • All I can say is WOW

This episode blew me away. Gray Anderson is quickly proving to everyone in the town that he's not capable of leading them. It looks like even the deputies are going to start turning against him, as Johnston shows his worth every time. The past few episodes have been building up to this, and with the season finale looming next week, I can't wait to see how this all ends. Will we have a cliffhanger, or a resolution? I hope the show gets renewed for next season, because I want to see more of the people of Jericho. The fighting sequences were pretty intense, but it is pretty clear that Jericho is the underdog here when it comes to manpower, and firepower, especially since Jonah took the weapons they recovered from the New Bern attackers. How will they respond to the attacks?

So all in all, a fantastic episode. My only complaint is that the "previously on Jericho" scenes spoiled the surprise that Jonah would be back.
  • Masterful! "Jericho" at its very finest.

This feels like a lead-in to the big finale, but a very good lead in. Obviously this episode isn't a filler, it's more of an episode that will set things into motion that will either end the story of Jericho, or continue it. If you ask me why this episode is nerve-wracking, then do me a favor and watch it for yourself, the final scene is enough to just make you burst into tears, because that may be the final night everyone in Jericho will be at peace, and maybe it will be the last night Jericho's most loved characters will walk the streets. This series has managed to weave itself into a masterful complexion, because truthfully, no one knows what's really going to happen next.
  • In an episode which essentially depicts two societies at war with each other, I would accept nothing less than the defining moment of the series. If it's going to be realistic, it will be now. If this isn't the best, I've written Jericho off.

1) Nice to see Constantino delivering his ultimatum via walkie talkie, Somehow very chilling that he would use his son to give Anderson this message. When Henry is walking up the road lantern bbing, iys sets a very evocative and creepy mood.

2) Finially Jericho has patrols and a border defense set up.

3) Minor quibble in that I don't think these semi industrially made mortars would have a range of 2 miles.

4) Dale is turning out to be quite the prick If he defends the farm. it's his. Who would have thought the kid had a pair of stones that large!

5)Again, Dale is turning out to be quite the venture capitalist. Assuming that he 'holds' the farm, I wonder if the legal system would let him keep it

6) And the shells start falling. I wonder of anything is pre targeted, or if the wind turbines will get destroyed?

7) Assuming Constantino holds up on his promise, Jericho could be in troublw (but I'm betting the town will be okay). With a mortar being manned by 2-3 people, New Bern could easily have 20-30 (or more) mortars out there.

8) Nice to see a bit of Hawkin's mystique stripped away. About time.

9) Nice to see a bit of a power struggle between Anderson and Green. It should end up with Green back in charge if the ambush fails.

10) And the mortar rounds still fall. Other mortars, or was Stanley ambusged? Does this mean Green will end up back in charge as mayor?

11) So just how many people died?

12) I wonder just what the citizens of Jericho are going to fight with *other* than a tank? (which may or may not have ammunition).

13) Things look like they're starting to spin out of control when everyone pulls guns in Anderson's office.

14) Another minor qquiblle; even with Jonas on their side, I doubt they know *all* of New Bern's positios given the largely mobile or fluid nature of their 'army'.

15) Trojam Horse?

16) Another minor quibble; just where did Jericho get fully automatic AK's from?

17)Looking at Jonas's men arriving into the New Bern camp, it seems apparent that no one has erv heard of a skrmish line.

18) Shooting the wounded; not nice, but a realistic touch.

19) Green has taken out *some* OF THE MORTARS.

20) Jericho Delenda Est?

Quite simply, this was the best episode I have seen of Jericho. Nothing better as of yet, and I'm only a bit peeved that it's taken us 21 episodes to arrive at this point. Societal collapse and social disorder/decay are finally being dealt with. I would still like to see more of the inevitable health issues presented, but I can put them aside for the moment.

Nicely done, and I expect to see the finale even better.

Tom