Jericho

Coalition of the Willing

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 02, 2007 on CBS

• Stephen King, in "The Stand," wrote, "Show me a man or woman alone and I'll show you a saint...Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare." This is the premise of this episode. Despiration, fear, hunger, anger=war.

This review will include spoilers.

While the acting continues to annoy me, I continue to watch because I'm curious as to where the story will go next. In "The Stand," a favorite read of mine, societies rebuild after a superflu takes out the majority of the world population. The question: Will society repeat its mistakes? Will technology be used to help or hinder? Will desperation, fear, hunger, and anger lead to war? History has shown that society does indeed continue the cycle. This episode features this such cycle. It deals with the ramifications of the rivalry between New Bern and Jericho as New Bern bombs Jericho for land and goods. It features some really good scenes. My thoughts:
    *I was happy to see the Hawkins family reunited and the secrets revealed. *The clear divide between Gray and Jake's family is a bit too heavy-handed. Both are just trying to help and trying to paint one as always right and the other as always wrong is...well...wrong. Still, the buildup to the standoff and almost overthrow was pretty good. I felt the tension. The later joining of the two groups served as lead in for the season finale and as a conclusion to this rivalry between the two leaders. *Enough with the male machismo. Nice to see Emily featured as a scout and both women and men as soldiers. It was sad to see children getting their own guns…such is life in wartime. *Desperation isn't the only thing that can lead to an unhealthy society. Greed does also. While I respect the character growth in Dale, I’m glad to see him rejoining society, caring about the town and not about the profit. *The return of Jonah would have been great had the writers not continued to perpetuate him as a stock character, as the thief that is only “bad.” Jonah made the difficult decision of killing that man. The scene in the truck bed with Johnston showed that, whether from Jericho or New Bern, all survivors are in the same boat. It’s not bad vs. good. It’s need vs. need. It’s civilization stripped. As such, though inhumane, Jonah’s murder of the man was realistic. If you don’t kill him now, he’ll come after you because he has to. When he first said, "If New Bern doesn't take Jericho, somebody else will," truer words were never spoken. There will always be an invading army.
    *Johnston’s last lines… “pray for us and the people of New Bern.” Nicely done. The last scene as they hand out the guns: good song choice. Sad but necessary to survive.