Jericho

Fallout

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 2006 on CBS

• After such a suspensful pilot, it carries over well into the 2nd episode. However, with a chessy gunfight set to odd action-sequence rock music, and a silly teenage romance, some of the plot devices should be re-thought...and re-written.

5.9
    This week's episode deals with the fallout of the nuclear explosion in Denver, as the town and its patriarchs scatter about to save everyone from nuclear rain and winds. Now, I'm no meteorologist, but there's more to radioactive rain than what "Jericho" told us. But...I'll leave it to the imagination.

One of the silliest plot lines is the use of the convicts who somehow perfectly impersonate two officers. What I'm confused about, is how, if one of the deputies told Emily to "run", did she not recognize that one of the convicts was wearing his name badge? If the deputy recognized her, why didn't she recognize his uniform. The action-sequence gunfight was nauseating, and Skeet's perfect timing is becoming too movie-esque. Plus, whomever thought that cheeseball rock music was appropriate for that scene should be fired soon. Emily's weird reaction to Skeet saving her life was pretty out of place and unusual. Plus, her and Skeet making it into the storm cellar RIGHT when the rain comes down was downright insulting to anyone who follows the rules of logic and common sense.

Secondly, the cliched "stuck-up girl becomes not so stuck up when her parents get cooked in a nuclear holocaust and she cozies up to the town freak loser who also happens to have a cooked parent" relationship seems really unnecessary. Why have a romance between two kids now? Aren't there more important things to worry about? I get trying to appeal to a fanbase, but sheesh!

Still, the acting was good, the cryptic ending keeps you wanting more, and there is still the mystery of what actually happened that makes me want to watch more. As long as the cliches and cheese factor gets tuned down, this show will continue to succeed. Otherwise...It'll be joining Threshhold on the CBS shelf.

Final Score: 6 out of 10.