Jericho

Fallout

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 2006 on CBS

• Good followup ep to the pilot. It was nice to see the writers didn't gloss over the nuts and bolts preparations for the aftermath for the sake of melodrama.

I enjoyed this episode, but would've been happier if there was less made of the 'blondes and the fake cops' biz. I was rather hoping by the end of the pilot that the 'old girlfriend' ploy wouldn't be pursued and she'd just croak on the highway with the rest of the birds.

There are a few cliche cringes I'd like to see the writers drop.....like the busload of prisoners escaping and the old girlfriend - not to mention the dysfunctional family/black sheep returns thing. It's passe and been done to death elsewhere.

But I still think Jericho has the potential to be a good series, just so long as the writers keep it unique and not follow formula plotlines.

Getting everyone into the saltmine was really good. There was lots of tension around moving everyone from the Hospital to the Town Hall and then onto the salt mine.

The scene in the general store was fairly believable too and I sympathised with the store owner. I thought that could've been fleshed out a bit more actually. From the point of view that just because situations seem dire doesn't mean you can do what you want. Everything has consequences. The girls walking out with the cans of soft drink may have seemed innocent enough, but the attitude that, "well, I'm upset and it's only a can of soda anyway" attitude is exactly what's wrong with society today. The girls were forgetting that no matter how crappy their day was, it wasn't up to the store owner to bear the brunt of it. Suck it up and take responsibility for yourself, not expect everyone else to pay; because chances are, everyone else is having a crappy day too.

But I digress. I have no idea if plastic and duct tape are valid barriers for radiation fallout - I would think not, but... - but I'm hoping the writers did their homework and aren't just blowing air in our tyres. It would be a big mistake this early in the show to start making a laughing stock of themselves with erroneous information and lousy research.

Hmmm, the more I write this the more I realize it wasn't as good an ep as I originally thought.

I'm looking forward to episode 3 all the same.