Jericho

Federal Response

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 18, 2006 on CBS

• The power's back, but an unexpected spike causes more trouble than good.

Jericho continues the treatment of a nuclear catastrophe in the same way that Lost showed us about being on an abandoned island: no power and no running water sucks. In this episode, the power comes back on, but a spike causes several fires to start around the town as transformers explode. It results in a series of "turn-the-power-off-oh-no-now-there's-no-water-pressure-turn-it-back-on-oh-no-now-the-fire-is-back" moments which would be comical if it weren't for the fact that the residents, despite their intricate knowledge of post-nuclear emergency situations, are completely useless when it comes to dealing with normal run of the mill emergencies, like, for example, house fires.

Jake seems to know everything about everything along with Hawkins, which leads me to believe that their secrets are one and the same – they are Joe 90. That, or they're in the Matrix and they loaded up every program into their heads before jacking in. This week, Jake turns the water back on without the grid, which makes me wonder why they didn't do that in the first place. Hawkins also has a nifty umbrella which doubles as a satellite dish to receive covert communications. Considering he was implanted in the town before the strike, we are to believe that he either knew about it or is just in the middle of another conspiracy when America went and got itself into a fight. Silly boy.

All in all, it was a good episode, and at least it's slowly revealing plot unlike the aforementioned similar show Lost, which didn't tell you anything and instead just asked more questions. Thank you, Skeet Ulrich.