Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Flaws in Jericho Attack! (Spoilers)

JoeMacbeth

[1]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 14

I like Jericho, I really do but after seeing the first 4 episodes, several flaws in the attack that has seemingly crippled america and within the town of Jericho have started to bother me.

1. Why the hell was denver, san diego and kansas city attacked when from what we've been shown so far it looks like washington and new york survived. Surely they would be the first cities to go!

2. Secondly, in such a castastrophe i find it a little difficult to believe that no information is being sent out by morse code or some other form to calm the nerves of the population.

3. In jericho, why the hell is everyone acting like nothing happened, you have people unwilling to part with possesions, gas and food etc in order to keep it so they may sell it, my god, what would be the point of currency? They have people drinking in the bar, having a good time, hasn't it been 4 days since the country was nuked! Surely in such an extreme situation there would be martial law, people would have to do their parts, daily luxeries sacrificed and the law dismissed in order to do what is neccesary to survive!

Anyone else have an opinion?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Cryme

[2]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 3
    lol I thought of the same thing!  (with respect to point #3)  The townsfolk are all acting like nothing has happened!  It's hilarious...  At the very least they should be all depressed or worried or panicked or something...  but then again maybe this is really what would happen.  Maybe they've just accepted that they're screwed and are drinking away their sorrow....   I'm not a psychologist...  but it does seem weird....  get off your asses people and help out!

JalynCallow

[3]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 1
    1. This is one of the mysteries of the show. Who attacked and why is not something that has been revelaed yet. The choice of targets is also not known.

2. So far, we're only at attacks +4, so it's possible the government is dealing with areas that are harder hit. Jericho is relatively intact, so no need to spend finite resources on it.

3. It's only been 4 days since the attacks, and most people probably assume things will return to normal fairly soon. Why panic when you figure the government will be coming in the next few days.

abi_123_00

[4]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    There are too many flaws.Especially in episode two when they say that just taping shut winows and doors is enough to prevent their houses and the basements from getting contaminated.Its rubbish.Any small gap is enough for radiation to seep through.Ifact even if there was no gap gamma Radiation would seep through as it can only be stopped by a thick sheet of lead.DUhhhh

Kamakazi_down

[5]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 10
    If you want to go into detail of problems with the realism of a nuclear weapon going off, you're going to have an awfully long list. First off, every house facing the bomb should be singed and anyone who saw the blast (as it exploded) should have their eyes melted and serious burns on their body. Next, if the number of attacks are true, there should be a large nuclear winter.

These are only a couple of things in an endless list, but it hasn't been made clear if they are nuclear blasts, all we see is a large mushroom cloud. For all we know it could just be a huge friggin bomb without radiation. After all, has anyone actually died of radiation poisoning? The geiger counters haven't read a thing either.

You assume far too much!

mdr227

[6]Oct 13, 2006
    In terms of damage in Jericho to the houses from a nuclear blast and also people being blinded don't forget that any part of Kansas is at least 150 miles from Denver so don't think those things would be an issue that far away.

There are many things that are disappointing about the setup of the show thus far such as:

- how people are going about their business as if nothing happened; driving their cars around wasting gas, shopping for food when all that can be accepted is cash (checks and credit cards no longer good), spending all day in the bar, young girl who was recently orphaned in the attack hosting a big party and being able to run a generator on her own, etc..

- how there only seems to be one doctor/medical person in the town to help sick people, what happened to the paramedics the drive the ambulance, nurses, etc..

- where are the firefigthers after the first show?

- how can anyone carry on an affair in a town that small and not have anyone know about it?

- why aren't they making plans as a community what to do about lack of gas, lack of food and eventually lack of drinking water? 

option61c

[7]Oct 13, 2006
    Actually, the worst ionizing radiation is quite easy to block. There's something called the "Rule of Ones" All you need is 1 inch of lead, 1 foot of concrete, or one yard of soil.  As for flash blindness and blistering walls facing the blast, I'm guessing Jericho is far enough from Denver that the flash was below the horizon.
    Edited on 10/13/2006 11:11am
    Edited 2 total times.

Signal2Noise

[8]Oct 13, 2006
    I thought about all of this too.

I don't think the show's producers and writers wanted to directly include Washington and/or NYC because of the whole sensitivity thing around 9/11.

Zald

[9]Oct 13, 2006

If I recall correctly you can not even see the Rockies from Kansas and seeing a mushroom cloud over Denver from any place in Kansas, no matter what size would be unlikely.  However little things like that I can over look, poetic license and all.

What does bug me is things like one doctor in a town with a population of 5,000.  According to the last figure I read from the U.S. government there are 2.3 doctors per 1,000 people, that means Jericho should have at least 10 doctors, not to mention Dentist and Vets as well as trained fire and rescue people that could help in a pinch.

I would think one of the first things the Mayor wold of done would of called a town meeting to organize the citizens, take control of fuel, food and water supplies.  Organize the local farm and livestock community, make every effort to contact other small towns in the area not to mention National Guard and state officials. Oh the phone does not work, oh well I guess we just all sit around the bar and wait for some one to come help us. It is how little the local government is doing and how the rest of the citizens are reacting that is bugging me.

I could see this happening had just the phones, radios and TV just stopped working but they know there are at least 10 Nuk strikes around the U.S. They would be taking their long range problems a lot more seriously then they are.

With all that said I am still enjoyong the story, you just have to over look a lot of tech. flaws and take it for what it is.

ummhaniya

[10]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 2

Martial law, ceasing supplies, etc: Yes, that would be prudent but the fact that it is a wise response doesn't mean that every town or every town's leadership would implement it. Jericho's mayor could do those things, but as he's been written he hasn't chosen to.

Accuracy: The person who wrote about nuclear winter following multiple nuclear detonations is correct. They wouldn't just emerge into an unscathed landscape. The rest of the world would be impacted as well.

Strange that no one in the show is talking about nearby small towns. There are few places in the US so isolated that there are no other small towns between it and metropolises. Why aren't they trying to get to some smaller burghs instead of heading off for info from Denver, Kansas City, etc?

The rain - it's my understanding that the radioactivity in the rain would not just disappear - after Hiroshima drinking and bathing in water (not to mention inhaling contaminated water droplets) from the 'black rain' sickened many people - though the type of radioation present would not be able to penetrate intact skin (unlike gamma radiation - which you'd get from direct exposure). In other words, they should be scrubbing down their town and the Geiger counter should have some kind of reading if in fact the rain had been radioactive.

But then of course, we don't know that the rain was radioactive (after all Stanley wasn't affected) - it's just a likely guess.

To those more knowledgeable than I, is it only radioactive bombs that produce a mushroom cloud?

Attitudes - Acting as if things are normal (DENIAL) is one response to disaster and one that most of the show's characters are doing. Another is to kick into high gear, as some of the show's characters are doing.

I agree that it's pretty unlikely that a town that size would have only one doctor. And yes, where is the vet - they are often more skilled than human doctors because they work on patients with varied anatomies who cannot tell them what is wrong.

If I were the town's only doctor, I would be furiously training someone just in case something happened to me.

One last point, it's unlikely that in a town of 5000 that only a handful of people would have connections to the outside world - colleagues, relatives, etc.

kchebo1

[11]Oct 13, 2006
    Zald wrote:

If I recall correctly you can not even see the Rockies from Kansas and seeing a mushroom cloud over Denver from any place in Kansas, no matter what size would be unlikely. However little things like that I can over look, poetic license and all.

I made the drive from Topeka, KS to Denver, CO more than 10 times, and I can say with confidence that you dont see much of the mountains near Denver till just before you can start seeing the city. If youre on I-70 you can see Pikes Peak to the south WELL before you start seeing anything around Denver.

From what ive read, and the clues provided..someone made a guess that the location of Jericho would be around (or is) Oakley, KS..which is 250 miles from Denver.

JoeMacbeth

[12]Oct 13, 2006
    another thing is in episode 3 or 4 when they decide to drive off in all four directions they talk about driving towards Denver. WTF! who drives towards a nuked city, thats basically suicide, don't they know that radiation doesn't just simply dissapate. However a friend of mine pointed out that the people of mid-west america just aren't that bright. A bit of a generalization but funny none the less! I'm going to continue watching the show,regardless of its flaws but I've got to say when writing a show about nuclear war surely you would spend a serious amount of time researching the topic instead of just scrambling ideas together which is what it looks like with Jericho.

Cryme

[13]Oct 13, 2006

Yes I agree about the small towns discrepency...  Normally there are dozens of small towns and villages between each city... I don't see why Jericho is so special to be so isolated...  whatever...

To answer your question, no, you do not need a nuclear weapon to create a mushroom cloud.  A mushroom cloud is a natural formation with any extremely large explosion.  It's just that nuclear explosions are so BIG, they always have a mushroom cloud.  It's just a product of hot gas/smoke rising quickly, then eventually cooling and dispersing around.

As I'm sure people know, nuclear weapons can be created with a large variation of destructive yield AND radiation.  Some bombs are deliberately made to produce a lot of radiation and not much damage to structures.  Other bombs maximize damage and minimize radiation.  Atomic (fission) bombs also have much smaller yield than hydrogen (fusion) bombs.  It is as yet unclear what type of weapon detonated in each city.  Also most weapons are detonated above the city to maximize casualties, but maybe these weapons were detonated on the ground, which means they would destroy less but leave a big hole in the ground.  We'll have to see if we get any more details about this stuff.

kchebo1

[14]Oct 13, 2006
    JoeMacbeth wrote:
    another thing is in episode 3 or 4 when they decide to drive off in all four directions they talk about driving towards Denver. WTF! who drives towards a nuked city, thats basically suicide, don't they know that radiation doesn't just simply dissapate..

Search for information? Natural Curiosity? They wanted to see how badly the city was hit and find some supplies in the outskirts? Then again, the world may be coming to an end for all they know..not everyone wants to be the last man standing in such a case.

If FEMA or DHS were organizing any sort of relief efforts, it would be near the places hardest hit first. Maybe they were going to Denver to try finding some authorities along the way. Or aid..or whatever. Maybe the DHS convoy next week is just on the way to Denver and only went through Jericho after someone flags them down.

Oh and...

:
    However a friend of mine pointed out that the people of mid-west america just aren't that bright.

Id say that if he said that, your friend isnt very bright either.
    Edited on 10/13/2006 1:43pm

JoeMacbeth

[15]Oct 13, 2006
    i'm sorry but you can't offer aid to a nuclear strike because that area would be death to anyone who steps foot there in the near to somewhat distant future. If someone decides to drive to denver after a nuclear attack, it's a one way trip!

lawdogtony

[17]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 4

I just found this forum and  while I have read most of the posts I apologize if Igo over something already discussed. First I am really enjoying the show but I have found a few things that puzzle me. As for the attacks and radiation stuff like that I am ok with them taking artistic licence with it. I do have some problems though with some smaller things. I did some work and with the information from the road sign in the first episode and what they said in the Four Horseman I would have to say Jericho has to be about where the real Hays Kansas is.

First there are about 25 other small towns  within 30 miles around Hays Kansas and that seems to be the norm in the state. A good C.B. and the police and fire radio equipment should be able to communicate with the other towns. I live in rural Northern Minnesota and even up here there is 5 or six small towns within 30 miles.

The second thing is if Jericho is in central Kansas like the road sign said. The sign side it was about 160 miles from Wichita. This would place it closer to Kansas City than Denver and on the black box ,the pilot thought Kansas City was hit. if they could see Denver they could also see K.C. 

I am a Ham radio operator and am going to school for Criminal Justice and Law enforcement. So my last to little grips are this how in the world did two convicts kill three cops the guards on the prison bus and take the other to deputies hostage even though at least one of those deputies was not even at the prison bus when the sherriff got shot. I mean come on Barney Fife could have done better than that.

The last thing is what in the world happened to the ham radio Robert gets one shady message and tells people he can't get it working and thats the last we hear of it. Historically ham radio is the first viable method of communication after any emergency. It would be there most reliable and effective way of getting information. I realize they don't want to give to much away each week but they really didn't do much with it.

The last thing is I read on one of the posts that they thought Jericho was about 5,000 people I think thats to many 3,000 or 4,000 tops. There's not enough resources for a town that big. I am from a town of 6,500 and we have over 25 police and Sherriff's deputies one major industry a couple large chain stores and two grocery stores. If Jericho is really an isolated mid-western town of 5,000 with no  larger towns within 50 miles like it seems they would probably have a larger economic base. And like the other poster said the town only has three or four doctors that would fit better with a town of 3,000.

kchebo1

[18]Oct 13, 2006
    JoeMacbeth wrote:
    i'm sorry but you can't offer aid to a nuclear strike because that area would be death to anyone who steps foot there in the near to somewhat distant future. If someone decides to drive to denver after a nuclear attack, it's a one way trip!

What about the tens/hundreds of thousands of people in the suburbs that inevitably survived the inital blast since they were too far away? They are going to go somewhere..some of them will undoubtedly go east along the main highways. DHS would be there to intercept them as they come east or whatever. Denver is a pretty big city counting the outlying areas (I lived in Aurora for a while). A "normal" size bomb would only flatten downtown Denver (if thats where it hit) with the fallout and radiation paths largely influenced by weather.

This isnt even considering the others leaving OTHER nearby areas (e.g. Ft. Collins, Colo. Springs, etc) to find help and supplies - even though they werent hit they will still be feeling the aftereffects of it (shortages of everything, sick people arriving). THESE places are where FEMA/DHS would be the most help.

But I agree, no, they wouldnt drive into a smoking crater to give first aid to someone.

lol

Edited on 10/13/2006 3:27pm

deathdog2000

[19]Oct 15, 2006
    wow, there are so many in-accurisies going aoru nd its stupid. Its FALLOUT they are worrying aboout, fallout is iradiated particles falling down (with rain in episode 2) THERE IS NO GAMMA RADAITON IN THIS TYPE OF FALLOUT.

SuperBilly1

[20]Oct 15, 2006
    yeah the whole, "party", "no, its my gas", omfg people, america is freakin gone and u care about ur 8 gallons of gas??? the people are so freakin stupid. i like the plot though