Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Jericho = Alas, Babylon?

Jericho34

[1]May 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    Jericho first intregued me with the name, but looking at the plot, it sounds a lot like the book Alas, Babylon (except with the more relevant "terrorist attack" angle than "broken cold war attack" like it was in the book).

It doesn't seem bad- I can see it gonna be all about struggle for food, building a wall (Hence "Jericho", it can't be named after the wrestler), with the first season finale being a rouge road warrior gang or, worse, a group of mutated humans, making a siege on the town.  But it fills the spot before Lost, so I'll probably watch it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Squizz44

[2]May 17, 2006
    • level: 13
    I thought about the "wall around the city" idea too, but I don't know if that's going to be the case. The show's name could just come from the city's name - Jericho, Kansas. Of course, it could end up being both...

brtsgrl

[3]May 21, 2006
    • level: 4

Definitely a biblical reference, I'm just kinda rusty on details.

For more Jericho chat and info, there is another message board at  imdb.com

evielvspaul

[4]May 21, 2006
    • level: 3

I like the fact that there are many avenues the show can take.  And that I can envision this really happening.  Lost is cool, but I doubt highly that a plane would crash on a mysterious island.....etc.   The reality of a nuclear attact is frightening yet intriguing.  My fear for the success of the show, is that when a country like the States is involved in war and people are living in fear on a daily basis, do they want to turn on the tv and watch another hour of terror.  Lost you can't really relate to on a personal level, so it is entertainment.  But this..........unforturnately is all too real.

i hope it does well..........I love good drama when it's done right!!!

Go Jericho.

jensmithers11

[5]May 24, 2006
    • level: 1

From Wikipedia:

Jericho is a general designation given to the Israeli medium-range ballistic missiles (MRBM). The name is taken from the first development contract signed between Israel and Dassault in 1963. Like much connected to the nuclear weapons program of Israel exact details are difficult to find in the public domain.

Jericho I was first publicly identified as an operational system in late 1971. It was 13.4 m long, 0.8 m in diameter, weighing 6.5 tons. It had a range of 500 km and a CEP of 1,000 m, and it could carry a payload estimated at 400 kg. It was intended to carry a nuclear warhead.

More Info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_missile

brtsgrl

[6]May 25, 2006
    • level: 4
    Cool info -- I wonder if the creators of the show had this knowledge prior or if it just a fantastic coincidence that the name of their show (about a nuclear holocaust) is the name of a nuclear warhead? 

angrodpallanen

[7]May 27, 2006
    • level: 22
    I think they do, actually I think the serie will have more clues to other (holy?) stories. I don't know why, but I think it will be more mysterieus, only, Jericho sounds like an movie, I don't know how long the concept will last.

FlightlessBird

[8]May 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well after watching some of the clips the show is called Jericho because the town is called Jericho. It's not a real town of course...so the reason they named the made up town Jericho could be any of those reasons mentioned above.

Salimonyous

[9]May 30, 2006
    As long as this isn't anything like The Postman then it could show promise. Mr. Costner has ruined me on finding hope with the postal service. Skeet could renew my faith in the perseverence of man in a post apocolyptic world.

MDB316

[10]May 31, 2006
    • level: 13

I have high hopes for this show and hope it is allowed to grow in the shadow of "Lost" and not killed like "Invasion". i don't mind some religion in tv shows but i hope its just not shoved down our throats

angrodpallanen

[11]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 22
    Yeah, but somehow do just do not believe is will be that religious.

antoinepq

[12]Jul 11, 2006

I just finish to watch the pilot and at first its a mix of "Red Dawn" and "The quiet Earth" but whit an entire village....whit an American way of television : couple of strong Alpha male and couple of cute girls/women ....classic but good/fair tv .....
    it is my first post and English is not my first language (i'm from Quebec City , so i speak french ) so please forgive me for all the mistakes of language .....lolll !!! the bad thing whit this show : i'm gonna wait until September to watch an other episode !!!!

goey312

[13]Aug 9, 2006
    • level: 8
    Jericho34 wrote:
    Jericho first intregued me with the name, but looking at the plot, it sounds a lot like the book Alas, Babylon (except with the more relevant "terrorist attack" angle than "broken cold war attack" like it was in the book).

Your totally right the book was excellent and thats what drove me to the series. I've also seen the pilot and i can't wait for more. hopefully they writers have "alas, babylon" as a referance guide for some great ideas. I always thought it would be fun to make that book into a movie. I'll have to pull the book out and read it again.

Coffeegod

[14]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 5

I had wondered if there was a connection when first I saw the preview for 'Jericho'. 'Alas, Babylon' is one of my favorite books that still holds up despite being written in 1959.

I just hope the show keeps up. I do doubt the rank and file will sign up.

archangelcory16

[15]Aug 12, 2006
    • level: 32
    This is not a religious show at all and Jericho is simply the name of the town...and I can't see them building a wall around the town or anything...I mean, they're just trapped there, and will run out of food and water, they'll be wanting to LEAVE.

qbanpete79

[16]Sep 12, 2006
    • level: 7
    the show may not be religious in nature. However with two episodes haveing religious symbols it looks to lean that way. You have the walls of jericho and Four Horsemen. And you really do not understand human condition. Humanity fears the unknown. So i seriously doubt they will be wanting to leave. They will most likely have groups go out and find supplies and bring back to the town.

LeafsFan2005NC

[17]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 7

I've seen the pilot and eagerly await the official premiere on Wednesday and then the next new episode next week.

I too thought of Alas, Babylon even though I've never read the book. I've read a synopsis of the book, though, and this does seem much like the plot, just with a few names and locales changed.

This show has great promise. My biggest fear is that they'll end up doing an episode where someone shows up (the potential escaped prisoner from the pilot springs to mind) and proclaims that, because of the attack, all of the freedoms we've created for ourselves and fought for over the past 200+ years are void and then this person tries to set themselves up as a dictator. Hopefully this will not be the case since I really don't think anyone, no matter the cause, would ever just give up because of the possibility that their national capital has been destroyed.

Everyone assumes that if Washington goes up in smoke, then the US is no more. But there are always plans to set things to rights in any situation and hopefully a future episode explores this (such as a random cabinet secretary not being present during the President's address, as is always the case when the entire government comes together for such an event).

Hyprdrv

[18]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    I think we only have to look at the micro devastation AFTER Catrina to see what may happen in a major loss of communication and infrastructure. What if we lost government down to a low level and the mayor of New Orleans was our next president? Remember what the majority of police did there? Look at what happened there and see what would happen if it was on a major scale.

garvalo

[19]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 1
    I read "Alas, Babylon" in high school and it helped fuel my paranoia about global thermonuclear war.  It was fascinating, and I find the premise of  "Jericho" fascinting, too.

There is lots to eat in western Kansas, if you like soybeans, wheat and beef.  There is lots of water, albeit several hundred feet underground.  There is crude oil, but also natural gas.  You could live there, although few people do and this is one of the areas of the USA in which the population is dropping.  In fact, the "buffalo commons" idea was put forward about northwestern Kansas, where there are counties nearly depopulated.

So, we can eat, between 19th and 20th century technology we can live in western Kansas - it won't be lush, but it's livable.  I'd rather be there than here (in a city of 300,000) when the food supply is cut off.

JerichoFan

[20]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hey, take it easy on The Postman. The movie SUCKED (except for Tom Petty) but the book was AWESOME!! The book was TOTALY difgferent from the movie, and the Postman Character wasn't NEARLY as wimpy as Costner portrayed him.

I'm starting a new post: Books and Movies on the same topic.