Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Jericho cancelled.

maaarin

[21]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    np1237 wrote:
    I wouldn't say Jericho got a fair second chance. 10pm on Tuesday is not the best time slot. Even LOST lost viewers when they went to 10pm last season.

It's because they wanted the show to fail - it's been obvious ever since they announced the time slot... CBS is very happy now, because from now on every time they cancel a show with a big fan base, and they start a campaign to save the show, CBS will say: No way are we bringing it back, look what happened to Jericho!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Agreb91

[22]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 9
    Tell the SCI-FI channel to pick this show up at: feedback@scifi.com

neokid0298

[23]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    Don't be sad that it is cancelled.

Be happy that we get a second season to enjoy it one of the best shows on television

clockworx23

[24]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    Its obviously very dissapointing to hear that it got cancelled but at least it didnt come out of nowhere like last years cancellation did. I mean there have been like five threads in the last week saying it was getting canned so unfortunately i was expecting it to be. Like someone else in this thread said, it would be great for Sci-Fi to pick it up but it would take major budget cuts in order for that to happen and who knows how that would negatively impact the show if it was done. If this Tuesday is in fact the last episode ever of this fantastic series then i gotta look at it as the glass half full in that at least we got some closure after Season 1's terrible cliffhanger ending with the rollercoaster/peanuts campaign/7 episode test run that eventually followed. Im just heated because you know the show that CBS is going to replace Jericho with most likely is going to be not even in the same league as Jericho is. I guess i gotta still hold out hope that some other network will pick it up but in reality that happens very rarely (Angel for example).

matt729

[25]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    For the second time in two years, "Jericho" has reached the end of its CBS run.

CBS announced on Friday (March 21) that next Tuesday's new "Jericho," already set to be the show's second season finale, will also be its series finale.

"The March 25th episode of Jericho will be the series finale," says CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. "Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program; we simply wish there were more. We thank an engaged and spirited fan base for keeping the show alive this long, and an outstanding team of producers, cast and crew that went through creative hoops to deliver a compelling, high quality second season. We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try. We listened to our viewers, gave the series an opportunity to grow, and the producers put a great story on the screen. We're proud of everyone's efforts."

Talk About the 'Jericho's Cancellation Interestingly, Tassler didn't end her statement with a plea to fans to resist the temptation to bombard her offices with nuts for the second year in a row.

After an extremely promising start last season, "Jericho" went on an extended winter hiatus and returned against " American Idol" to vastly lower ratings. As a result, CBS left the drama off of its schedule for the 2007-08 season.

Within days of the show's cancellation -- a decision Tassler acknowledged at the time was a difficult one -- fans began to organize and send letters and nuts to CBS. The nuts were in response to the closing line of the first season cliffhanger and they filled CBS offices by the ton.

CBS relented and brought "Jericho" back for a truncated seven-episode second season.

While CBS promoed the show extensively, many fans felt its Tuesday 10 p.m. slot wasn't ideal for what started out as a family show. In addition, the limited production run also included a dramatically reduced budget and with it the a notably smaller cast and a restricted scope.

The show's early 2008 ratings were its lowest yet and recent episodes have averaged a 1.9 rating in the key 18-49 demo. On their own, the show's ratings were among CBS' lowest, not even close to enough to justify a renewal, but matters were complicated by the strong online performance for "Jericho," both in terms of iTunes downloads and streaming views.

Producers reportedly produced two different endings for the second season, one with a cliffhanger and the other offering resolution for the devoted fans.

On March 25, fans will get that second ending.
    Source: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-cbscancelsjerichoagain,0,6182598.story

So, the question is what makes a good T.V. show??? Is it constellation of factors that make a TV program last: great like writers, producers and actors; a good concept; room to grow with a strong ensemble cast offering multiple story lines; a desirable time slot; audience comfort; loyal network support; and the public's fickle taste -- the wild card?

"When 'Friends' began 10 years ago ... the actors and actresses on that show were relatively unknown." It became a house hold name!

"'M*A*S*H' has its roots in 'F-Troop' ... and 'Hogan's Heroes' and 'Sergeant Bilko'," " it took the generic conventions of cutups in the service" and added black humor and a bleak view of war.

So, why is Jericho getting canned again? Jericho is a drama that has great writing, great characters with meaningful internal conflicts and external conflicts that drive them. They ask questions about the United States Constitution, Amendments to the Constitution, and make you ask yourself these three big questions:

---What would I do if I was in those situations?
    ---Would I fight for what is right?
    ---Would I be able to endure right from wrong?

I am so sick of being a customer to satellite television and never having a say! This is truly a sad for television!

gonzc900

[26]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 10
    I agrere withthe show being picked up by another network, but not everyone has cable. I say ABC. If ABC can do it with lost,. they can do it with Jericho. Get rid of eli stone (he needs to see a shrink REAL BAD) once lost comes back and mves to 10:00 put jericho on at 9. what ever day, i dont care but I really hope some other major network can pick it up. just as long as its like ABC or FOX networks everyone has even if they dont have cable. make it fair for them

hal9000_basic

[27]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 8

Its a great Show but just doesn't have the ratings. After all the hulaballoo last year CBS brought it back. You would think the fans, with all the publicity, would watch. The viewership fell further. It would probably do well on a lower network that is happy with a 1-2 million viership.

mar1818

[28]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 2

Ok this is a crazy idea but there are some smart people posting here.

My thought....there are thousands of different websites with message boards that I doubt the networks if they read them can truely keep track of them. How about a website something along the lines of voicetothenetworks.com. Just some place if you want to be heard that its all isolated in one. Not to take over any of the other message boards but one that could be referred directly to the networks.

Thoughts? Anyone with hosting capabilites? I'm a little loopy since its way past my bedtime!

clockworx23

[29]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 17

hal9000_basic wrote:

Its a great Show but just doesn't have the ratings. After all the hulaballoo last year CBS brought it back. You would think the fans, with all the publicity, would watch. The viewership fell further. It would probably do well on a lower network that is happy with a 1-2 million viership.

Like its been pointed out in other threads though, the ratings system they use to judge this show and most others is so flawed that its sickening. I mean i had my ex-girlfriend, my dad, and obviously me all making sure we watched it and as it turns out it didnt mean anything towards the ratings. I dont get the point of these half ass ratings if theyre just going to count people that have Nielson boxes (which ive never EVER met someone with). The sad part is that CBS and all other channels put so much weight on those Nielson numbers when its obviously flawed. Maybe if they looked at DVR, online, or how about a ratings system that measures every single household with a cable box in the United States then Jericho wouldnt even have been a possibility for cancellation.

kawadge

[30]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 32
    This is really sad news. Jericho was definitely one of the best drama series around, and to have it cancelled really sucks. There are loads of rubbish series around, and they decide to cancel one of the best, just cos the ratings system they use is flawed.

blackhawk618

[31]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 2

jericho is canceled , from cbs.com

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/462/huhjknjnkgg4.jpg

i am sad that they ended the show, but i am also greatfull for season 2 for closer.

count-chocula

[32]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 47
    I think this sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62JPMJaHHaw

lawgotham

[33]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 13
    I know i'm in the minority when I say that i'm not the least bit surprised. Partially CBS' fault for putting it in dooming time slots, but also, this season has been a little disappointing. It's not as dynamic as last year and I just felt the production of it was bare bones. I'll go back to reading my doom and gloom books, "The Road" by COrmac McCarthy, "The Pesthouse" by Jim Cace and "Twilight" by Brendan Dubois. The last one is most like Jericho. It's a good read.

DZA187

[34]Mar 22, 2008
    cant believe they done this again. How can they cancel the best acted & written tv show on air right now ?? come on cbs, sort out your flipping heads.

tonyftony716

[35]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 6
    DZA187 wrote:
    cant believe they done this again. How can they cancel the best acted & written tv show on air right now ?? come on cbs, sort out your flipping heads.

Hey good news they didn't cancel the best acted and written tv show....LOST is still on the air for two more seasons after this one. Look I like Jericho a lot but lets be real here. It got 7 extra episodes to wrap up a story that other shows who get cancelled don't have a chance to do. I'm happy we got what we got. The ratings system is flawed but it is what it is and other shows with the same ratings system survive year to year . The bottom line is not enough people watch for CBS to make money. Someone mentioned ABC picking it up. it's never going to happen. Why would another broadcast network pick up a show that failed on another one?? Eli stone? It gets better ratings than Jericho!!

Who don't they count DVR usage? because advertisers don't like those figures because people are skipping commercials. Yeah only now does online usage and 7 day DVR usage figures even get looked at but it's not something networks use usually to determine success or failure of a show. In this case DVR usage is good but it's not through the roof anyway.

someone complained about the time slot. Where would you have liked them to put it? They tried to not set it up against American Idol (if you think ratings now aren't good imagine what they would be then) . why would they give it one of CSI's timeslots when their repeats get higher numbers?? They put it up against repeats from other channels and the ratings were below what Cane pulled in at the same time slot against non repeats from other networks. CBS gave it a fair chance to survive and it didn't.

I like the show a lot and I still hold out hope it gets picked up by someone like the Sci Fi network but I'm also happy with what I got and i'm thrilled that I enjoyed 29 episodes of a very good show.

kopeckee

[36]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 20

As last week show ended .. I said to myself... this is one good show . It always keeps me guessing ... I thought it was one the better shows I watch and I watch many a TV show... ,, Good shows get cancelled all the time ... I will miss it...

Edited on 03/22/2008 1:46pm

furiousfunk

[37]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 13
    I believe this is a conspiracy, a conspiracy thought up by NutsOnline.com to trick us into sending CBS another 40 tons of nuts. I hate all networks and will giggle at their demise as internet TV shows will be more user friendly to the newer digital TVs and people stop watching the crap the networks expel upon us.

emma5000

[38]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 33
    of course i'm glad they didn't leave it at last season's cliffhanger but there's one episode left now and i just can't see how they'll manage to wrap things up with that little time left.
    Edited on 03/22/2008 3:29pm

matt729

[39]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 4
    mar1818 wrote:

Ok this is a crazy idea but there are some smart people posting here.

My thought....there are thousands of different websites with message boards that I doubt the networks if they read them can truely keep track of them. How about a website something along the lines of voicetothenetworks.com. Just some place if you want to be heard that its all isolated in one. Not to take over any of the other message boards but one that could be referred directly to the networks.

Thoughts? Anyone with hosting capabilites? I'm a little loopy since its way past my bedtime!

That is a Great idea! I would be willing to help create one! I think ALL T>V> watchers need to have a voice in what shows are on and what shows are not! I am not only talking about Jericho but a site like you mentioned could be the THE VOICE for us viewers for every show! If anyone would like to do this please pm me, so we can be HEARD!

_Sam_

[40]Mar 22, 2008
    how could they