Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Jericho cancelled.

PJY38

[61]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 3
    That very well may be true, but trying never hurt anyone. Who really expected 40,000 pounds of peanuts to save it last time? Lets all just keep emailing CBS telling them how foolish they are. If that doesnt work, we'll try to get other networks to pick this show up. Dont give up, just keep trying.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fauxfink

[62]Mar 24, 2008

Agreb91 wrote:
    Tell the SCI-FI channel to pick this show up at: feedback@scifi.com

I think eveyone on here should petition the show be moved to Sci-Fi

Drkr_Zen

[63]Mar 24, 2008
    Fauxfink wrote:

Agreb91 wrote:
    Tell the SCI-FI channel to pick this show up at: feedback@scifi.com

I think eveyone on here should petition the show be moved to Sci-Fi

Already have, and intend to quite a lot. Right along with telling CBS how foolish they are.

But then again, it's pretty obvious how much CBS cared about Jericho to begin with.. what with the time slot they gave it, only a 7 episode run (full season woulda drawn more of a crowd, right?) and the interruptions by Katie Couric were just a kick in the balls. Not to mention the hiatus that doomed the show during the first season. Who does that!? "Let's go on a hiatus, throw viewership off and replace the show with Kid Nation, yet another reality show!"

I mean, if a show that's about breaking out of prison can run for its fourth season.. why can't CBS give Jericho another chance? At any rate, I hope someone picks up the show.. and I'll definitely be buying the season two DVD, even if double the price of season one.

Annnd, I'm done with my mini-rant. To summarize, nuts to you CBS. Yet again, nuts to you.

texanact

[64]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 7
    really sad it got cancelled, I was loving this season very much..Hope it gets picked up by some other channel atleast.

ElmoKajaky

[65]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 8
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

CBS, you suck!

djariya

[66]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 19
    CBS still has some of the highest rated programs on network TV including all the CSI's, Criminal Minds, Cold Case, The Amazing Race, Survivor and their Monday night comedies.

This is hardly going to put a dent in the network at all.

Serial dramas like Jericho are a tough sell for mainstream America and Jericho fell victim.

Bashing CBS and calling them childish names is pointless. They have a business to run and have other shows that are doing way better than Jericho.

lawgotham

[67]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 13

tonyftony716 wrote:
    DZA187 wrote:
    cant believe they done this again. How can they cancel the best acted & written tv show on air right now ?? come on cbs, sort out your flipping heads.
    Hey good news they didn't cancel the best acted and written tv show....LOST is still on the air for two more seasons after this one. Look I like Jericho a lot but lets be real here. It got 7 extra episodes to wrap up a story that other shows who get cancelled don't have a chance to do. I'm happy we got what we got. The ratings system is flawed but it is what it is and other shows with the same ratings system survive year to year . The bottom line is not enough people watch for CBS to make money. Someone mentioned ABC picking it up. it's never going to happen. Why would another broadcast network pick up a show that failed on another one?? Eli stone? It gets better ratings than Jericho!! Who don't they count DVR usage? because advertisers don't like those figures because people are skipping commercials. Yeah only now does online usage and 7 day DVR usage figures even get looked at but it's not something networks use usually to determine success or failure of a show. In this case DVR usage is good but it's not through the roof anyway. someone complained about the time slot. Where would you have liked them to put it? They tried to not set it up against American Idol (if you think ratings now aren't good imagine what they would be then) . why would they give it one of CSI's timeslots when their repeats get higher numbers?? They put it up against repeats from other channels and the ratings were below what Cane pulled in at the same time slot against non repeats from other networks. CBS gave it a fair chance to survive and it didn't. I like the show a lot and I still hold out hope it gets picked up by someone like the Sci Fi network but I'm also happy with what I got and i'm thrilled that I enjoyed 29 episodes of a very good show.

Laughing, the best show has not been cancelled or is still on...it just finished it's run: The Wire.

JTSR6877

[68]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 6

what went wrong?????????

everyone on this forum seemed to love the program and the fans brought it back from the dead last time and they cancelled it again.

What went wrong?

paoros16

[69]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 16
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

djariya

[70]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 19

The ratings for this season were even lower than season 1. I assume the show was a tough sell to mainstream TV viewers who didn't want to think while watching TV. I read alot of complaints from people who quit watching Lost and now Jericho that when they watch TV, they want to relax and be entertained and not have to think really hard. Plus, the network spent alot of money on these 7 episodes and probably didn't profit from them.

Trying to recruit new people to watch season 2 was probably difficult as well because a serial drama like this requires you to watch every episode from start to finish. You cannot casually watch it and do your laundry or chat on the phone.

Also, serial dramas don't repeat well. CBS makes more money repeating an episode of Criminal Minds, Cold Case or the CSI's, who's episodes are all self contained.

Edited on 03/24/2008 7:14pm

Musicals101

[71]Mar 24, 2008
    djariya wrote:

The ratings for this season were even lower than season 1. I assume the show was a tough sell to mainstream TV viewers who didn't want to think while watching TV. I read alot of complaints from people who quit watching Lost and now Jericho that when they watch TV, they want to relax and be entertained and not have to think really hard. Plus, the network spent alot of money on these 7 episodes and probably didn't profit from them.

Also, serial dramas don't repeat well. CBS makes more money repeating an episode of Criminal Minds, Cold Case or the CSI's, who's episodes are all self contained.

Exactly right. The phrase "serial dramas" sum up the problem and the reason we like the show. Like LOST, it's a show you need to be invested in to understand or care about any one single episode. The further out the shows like this get without good ratings, the worse chance that they'll make it. If LOST didn't start with a strong first season ratings, it would not get its full run. I personally find LOST to be superbly made, and felt JERICHO slipped a bit with the second season. It is too bad because the serialized part is what makes people so passionate, but it also discourages new viewers. So there's no way any network is going to touch this now. The cast and writers are all released from their contracts and most will have new ones signed with other shows/movies before summer. It was a good thing for CBS to give it another try. Tuesday is NOT a bad night. You could complain is they stuck it on a Saturday or Friday night because those are network death slots. Tuesday is a very good night.

So I guess we'll get the closure we want today and the producers will probably give a treat to the fans and post the alternate ending on CBS.com before the end of the week.

mar1818

[72]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    matt729 wrote:
    doeyetman wrote:

That website does sound like a good idea I'm sure that someone at the networks would check a site like that regular. Maybe it could be categorized by network to make it easy for them to check their own stuff. Or maybe its just wishful thinking.

Also im keeping my fingers crossed for a season 2 dvd release with both final episode versions

I don't think it is wishful thinking as long as we have a plan! It would have be categorized for each major network and then we would have to get the name and concept of the website out their! It would help if we could be directly linked to the major networks websites!

My thought was its one voice to the networks for those who don't have Nielson boxes as well.

mar1818

[73]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 2

Sorry for another post. I tried to pm a few you that seemed interested but I don't know how, so please pm me!

SmokingJen1

[74]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 4

Another tv show I loved bites the dust. This is a sad day. But yes at least we got 7 extra episodes, it is much more than many other cancelled shows get. Still praying for Sci-Fi to pick it up.

Placebo_obecalP

[75]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    US TV Networks are run by cvnts who wouldn't know good television if they were forced to watch shows on HBO/Showtime 24/7. It also doesn't help that the vast majority of American viewers are complete and utter idiots who should drag themselves out of their trailer parks once in a while so they actually appreciate that reality TV shows are not good television.

PJY38

[76]Mar 25, 2008
    It can be a huge dent if we all stop watching the other shows CBS puts out. Ive already emailed CBS to inform them that I am no longer watching their channel after Jericho is gone, and I will no longer download any other shows off their website either. Its real simple folks, if everyone who wants Jericho back boycotts CBS we may still have a chance. So get to emailing CBS and stop watching anything on that network that isnt Jericho.

count-chocula

[77]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 47
    Unless you own a Neilsen box it won't make any difference: it'll be you that is missing out.

yousifaltaha

[78]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    they should have put it behind the time slot of CSI..it would have attarcted alot of viewers

CommanderShiro

[79]Mar 25, 2008
    I will miss this show. Good times watching it.

lust4jack

[80]Mar 25, 2008
    CommanderShiro wrote:
    I will miss this show. Good times watching it.

I couldn't have said it better.