Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

JERICHO cancelled

shaunvegas

[1]May 15, 2007
    • level: 5

Just got the call, we're gone--Carol Barbee of Jericho

The one show that brought me back to network TV and its gone..CBS so am I gone from your network!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MysticNitekatt

[2]May 15, 2007
    • level: 3
    shaunvegas wrote:

The one show that brought me back to network TV and its gone..CBS so am I gone from your network!!

Now what do we do? Try to get another network interested - heck, are they even interested in shoping the show around?

shaunvegas

[3]May 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    Contacting the CW might help

extechy

[4]May 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    shaunvegas wrote:

Is this person legit? 

Fabien51313

[8]May 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    wow calm down, I loved the show, but it's just a show!
    Anyway maybe you'll find an another interesting show next season!

Dvd2112

[10]May 15, 2007
    Saw on the CBS Jericho website that it was leaked that the show is cancelled.  That sucks...........Good ol"CBS strikes again.  Wasn't Now and Again on CBS (show with John Goodman), I liked that show too and it only survived one season.  Well maybe someone will pick it up and give it a shot.  Not going to hold my breath, NBC has already released their fall schedule...totally bummed.

furiousfunk

[12]May 15, 2007
    • level: 13
    CBS screwed this show up by spliting it's season like Lost did and both shows suffered ratings losses. Jericho was a great show but as always, quality does not matter. CBS is closing in on Fox for the worst network for cancelling great shows. They should step back and think about their own judgement, I mean wow, these fools paid crazy money for Katie Couric to do the Evening News while no one thought it would work.

litttlejohn

[13]May 15, 2007

http://tv.ign.com/articles/788/788401p1.html

i still cant beleive that i dont see jericho mentioned as a renewal (though it could happen still in a surprise) but whats worse is the replacements are a hack angel, dumb sounding comedies, and who doesnt love the family values employed by a show of swingers in the 70s! well i hope cbs gets the numbers they want from the MUSICAL they picked up.....

andsods

[14]May 15, 2007

furiousfunk wrote:
    CBS screwed this show up by spliting it's season like Lost did and both shows suffered ratings losses. Jericho was a great show but as always, quality does not matter. CBS is closing in on Fox for the worst network for cancelling great shows. They should step back and think about their own judgement, I mean wow, these fools paid crazy money for Katie Couric to do the Evening News while no one thought it would work.

Plus...

By Kevin Downey
    May 14, 2007

...there's little guessing about the fate of one particular genre, the serialized drama. It will be in short supply.The reason: the flush of them that bombed this season. Most are gone or heading for cancellation, from ABC's "The Nine" to NBC's "Kidnapped," Fox's "Vanished" the CW's "Runaway" and CBS's "Jericho."
    Just one new serialized drama, NBC's "Heroes," is a hit.

Further, even long-running hits like Fox's "24" and ABC's "Lost" are slipping.
    The problem, say media buyers, is that dramas with ongoing storylines demand of viewers a much higher level of commitment, and it's turned out to be a level very few are willing to make. The thinking was that viewers, once hooked, would record shows they missed and visit the internet to learn what they missed. But the hooking never took place.
    In place of serialized dramas, the networks will be rolling out an array of more traditional dramas, comedies and reality shows that neatly wrap up storylines in an hour or less.

"Dramas will be more episodic and less forensics-focused, and all the networks will further embrace reality, and all will continue to search for the seminal sitcom that will define this decade," says John Rash, senior vice president and director of media negotiations at Campbell Mithun. Like other buyers, he got a glimpse of the networks' fall development at pre-upfront meetings in March.

Of the serialized dramas, Rash says, "These shows need to catch on quickly or it's nearly impossible to gain traction."
    Shari Anne Brill, vice president and director of programming at Carat, agrees. She believes "Heroes" is a hit because it did that.
    "You can't connect unless these shows get you to relate to characters, which is why 'Lost' had people hooked," she says. 'Heroes' did that instantly. It's also escapism, there's mythology and there are characters you care about."

r666l

[15]May 15, 2007
    wow, how big as*hole one need to be to cancel a show like "Jericho"
    I think that the problem of serialized dramas is so big because nowadays there are so many channels and shows to watch that every member of family wants to watch something else and usually if you don't have 4 tv's in family with 2 kids and 2 parents then there's majority that wants to watch other show (Amrican Idol f.ex.) and not such shows like Jericho because (I personally don't get it) for many people reality tv seems really important and interesting to watch.

I mean even in my tiny country 4 biggest national broadcasters have their own show to compete with Jericho. On the same time slot there are Jericho, Ghost Whisperer, 1 reality show like "Dancing with Stars" adapted to our audience and 1 show like "Who wants to be a millionaire"- and most families would choose Jericho as the last option (including all my family members, except me) because majority wants to see reality tv and something lighter than Jericho's fallouts and dead bodies.

I think the future for shows like Jericho is only on cable tv's or if they can come up with solution like torrents but the one that actually would make some profit for them to keep the show going because I see many people who download it using torrents and if one could stop that torrent thing and make sth else that would have as many downlaoders but would bring some money to the network then it'll be ok for the show.

Now I only hope that they'll make atleast 2 hour episode to give this show a proper ending.

zxcvy

[16]May 15, 2007
    • level: 1

shaunvegas wrote:
    Contacting the CW might help

I went ahead and already emailed the CW because I figured what harm can it do?  Might as well start campaigning early and often to other networks and see if we can get one to pick Jericho up since it appears that CBS let us down.

Rianna1234

[17]May 15, 2007
    • level: 7

Yes, it's official, Jericho is cancelled. I can honestly say I will never send a feedback to any network about any show ever again, what a waste of time. Hope to see Skeet in something else really soon.

lillysantiago

[18]May 15, 2007

Hi guys

I'm new to posting although I enjoy reading everyone's comments.  I am so upset about Jericho's cancellation. It was the only show I looked forward to.  I am never watching CBS again and have told them so via the feedback section and a voicemail. I have already e-mailed TNT, USA, CW, FX and the Sci-Fi channel asking them to consider picking it up.  Do you think we have a chance?

djariya

[19]May 15, 2007
    • level: 19
    I'm disappointed about the cancellation, but it's CBS' fault for spliting a new and unproven show into 2 seasons. When it left the air back in November, it was actually up to a little over 10 million viewers. The 2 1/2 month hiatus killed the show.

One of the pluses of the cancellation is that maybe casting directors have now noticed what a terrific actor Lennie James is and maybe he will get a new pilot as well.

80sfreak

[20]May 15, 2007
    • level: 10

djariya wrote:
    I'm disappointed about the cancellation, but it's CBS' fault for spliting a new and unproven show into 2 seasons. When it left the air back in November, it was actually up to a little over 10 million viewers. The 2 1/2 month hiatus killed the show. One of the pluses of the cancellation is that maybe casting directors have now noticed what a terrific actor Lennie James is and maybe he will get a new pilot as well.

I agree about the too-long hiatus. What are the networks thinking doing this crap to the viewers? I could maybe understand what ABC did with Lost, since it was already a well-established show. But Jericho was in its first season - what a effing stupid move CBS! Unfortunately, these long hiatuses are now a growing trend, and it's only going to get worse.

I doubt I'll ever watch any new shows on CBS again. The last time I got this excited over a new show on their network was in 1995-1996 with American Gothic.....and of course that one got cancelled after one season as well! (and also had a long hiatus if my memory serves me correct)

The character of Robert Hawkins and Lennie James' portrayal of him was probably the top reason I kept on watching this show. I would really love to get the chance to see him play a major villain somewhere, especially on tv.