We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Official Discussion Thread: "Patriots and Tyrants" (Spoilers)

Shuono

[41]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    Great show.

Haven't been following the forum before, and don't know if you guys been discussing it before. Just wondering about the military forces in the USA after the bombs. What took them so long to restore order in the USA? I mean that most of the forces probably were intact after the attac. Because the bombs hit the major cities and the forces are not located there. And also all the troops abroad and the navy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HOTEL86

[42]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 1

I'm so glad that at the end Major Beck and his men decide to go against the AS Governtment in Cheyene. If you have ever been in the military or know anything about the U.S. Military you know that when you enlist or commision and sign those papers you take a personal oath to uphold the Constitution of the U.S. and to protect this country from ALL enemies foreign and domestic. That means your swearing a personal oath to the federal government which means not to sideing with a faction that forms after the attacks to regain control of the country under a new government. So this means that according to the oaths that those men and women took upon their commissioning and enlistments before the attacks, they would be required to uphold the U.S. constitution not form a new military under a new government to create a new constitution. This means that the military should have been aligned with the remnants of the old federal government in Columbus Ohio. Unless of course they were trying to use the attacks as a way to secceed from the Union but if you remeber one of the reasons for getting the Texans to side with Cheyene was so that Cheyene would have enough weight and power to move against Columbus and take over the entire country rather than just the western states. Thats not seccedding from the Union thats an all out attack on and an attempt to over throw the United States Government, this alone, in and of it self is an act of treason, especially for military personel. The hole reason that they have the oath in the first place is after the first Civil War (that is, the real one I mean) the U.S. government didn't want to have another situation(i.e. another civil war) where in it had military personel committing treason by crossing over to the other side.

But even with that I still absolutley love this show and I wish it would come back or at least get picked up by Sci Fi. Jericho RULES.

HOTEL86

[43]Apr 4, 2008
    The troops abroad and in the navy would have been recalled by the remnants of the federal government in Columbus Ohio. And as to the first part about strikes on military installations, many us military installations are near or in major cities in the the U.S. not to mention the fact that the nuclear blast radius and nuclear radiation fall out is going to be between 20 and 100 miles(if not more) from ground zero. In Colorado alone there is Buckley AFB and USMC reserve station for the entire country right in Denver the sub-burbs and in Colorado Springs the USAFA, Peterson AFB(Space command), Shriever AFB, Cheyenne Mountain Complex(NORAD) FT Carson(10th mountain Div, 10 Special Forces, 4th brigade Combat team among others) Carson is the largest U.S. Army post west of the Mississippi if not the entire US. C. Springs probably would not have felt the blast but they definitely would have gotten radiation fall out and not like what was depicted on the show, much worse. In LA is Los Angeles Air Force Base plus several Naval installations with in 100 miles. Andrews AFB is just across the Potomac river from DC would have been wipe out with DC. And these examples are just off the top of my head, quite a few major US military installations are well within the 20-100 mile blast/radiation fallout radius of a nuclear blast. This is because those bases are not only for the military they also create alot of jobs for civilian employees, that dont want to drive alot or move their families to get to work, and also to allow for personnel to live off base and still be close to their jobs while still also being fairley close to the amenities of a big city.

HOTEL86

[44]Apr 4, 2008
    What I am kinda curious about is how are Alaska and Hawaii? Did they get hit at all? Did they fall in line with Cheyenne? Or since theyre so far from the lower 48 maybe they didnt feel as much pressure to go along with Cheyenne. Maybe they are still with the remnants of the old federal government.

rudedude74

[45]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    You make a good point but CBS did not have to cut the season down to seven episodes.

rudedude74

[46]Apr 4, 2008
    • level: 7

Pardon me Hotel, I don't mean to poo poo on your parade but I believe that the largest US intallation is not Fort Carson but Fort Bliss.

wrs

[47]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 3

HOTEL86 wrote:
    The troops abroad and in the navy would have been recalled by the remnants of the federal government in Columbus Ohio. And as to the first part about strikes on military installations, many us military installations are near or in major cities in the the U.S. not to mention the fact that the nuclear blast radius and nuclear radiation fall out is going to be between 20 and 100 miles(if not more) from ground zero. In Colorado alone there is Buckley AFB and USMC reserve station for the entire country right in Denver the sub-burbs and in Colorado Springs the USAFA, Peterson AFB(Space command), Shriever AFB, Cheyenne Mountain Complex(NORAD) FT Carson(10th mountain Div, 10 Special Forces, 4th brigade Combat team among others) Carson is the largest U.S. Army post west of the Mississippi if not the entire US. C. Springs probably would not have felt the blast but they definitely would have gotten radiation fall out and not like what was depicted on the show, much worse. In LA is Los Angeles Air Force Base plus several Naval installations with in 100 miles. Andrews AFB is just across the Potomac river from DC would have been wipe out with DC. And these examples are just off the top of my head, quite a few major US military installations are well within the 20-100 mile blast/radiation fallout radius of a nuclear blast. This is because those bases are not only for the military they also create alot of jobs for civilian employees, that dont want to drive alot or move their families to get to work, and also to allow for personnel to live off base and still be close to their jobs while still also being fairley close to the amenities of a big city.

Well assuming that the rest of the 23 bombs used within the attacks were the same yields as the bomb that was picked up by the NYPD, it being a 20kt device. 20kt is peanuts when compared to the average yield nuclear device these days (250 to 750kt ranges due to selective yield settings).

20 kilotons would definately destroy a vast majority of a city like Denver but it would not be anywhere near as devastating as say a 750kt or 1mt device detonated over the same target area.

And Fort Carson isn't the largest Army post this side of the Mississippi. Fort Lewis Washington is.

TBear30

[48]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    Ft Hood, TX is the only base in the continental US to be the home of 2 armored divisions.

DemocracyDefend

[49]Oct 11, 2008
    • level: 3
    Loved the dogfight scene and yes the nukes were quite small. Remeber the first epsode from Season after they come back from comercial break they show a news report with a nuke going of in LA I think. It seemed the mushromm cloud only hit 1/3 of the skyscrapers the shock wane like 3/4 the real killed is radiation. If you survied the bomb but was above ground in one of the cities you screwd. And rediation can spread far and wide watch Fallout