Jericho Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

What Facts are known about Jericho's possible renewal or cancellation?

MysticNitekatt

[1]May 7, 2007
    • level: 3

So, What facts are known about Jericho's possible renewal or it's cancellation?

We have rumors of renewal,but just as many saying it's gone as CBS has 3-4 dramas they want to pick up for next fall.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FshyHawk

[2]May 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    All we know for sure is that the decision will be made by or on May 16, 2007. Till then, cheerio!

Rianna1234

[3]May 7, 2007
    • level: 7

All we know is that the show is "on the bubble" meaning it could go one way or the other. As far as I'm concerned CBS knows exactly what it's going to do but hasn't announced it yet. Like everyone else, I'm really hoping for a renewal. The only other show I watched this season was Studio 60 and that doesn't stand a chance for renewal. I think from now on I won't watch a new show until the second season, when it's a bona fide hit. I'll then buy the first season on DVD.

SoylentYellow

[4]May 7, 2007
    • level: 21
    MysticNitekatt wrote:

So, What facts are known about Jericho's possible renewal or it's cancellation?

We have rumors of renewal,but just as many saying it's gone as CBS has 3-4 dramas they want to pick up for next fall.

Considering the Producers of Jericho have clearly said there will be a Season 2 on the Jericho CBS Wiki site,  I would say the odds are close to 100% -  lots of people have sent CBS feedback asking about this and the entry is still there (April 18th) - so obviously CBS doesnt have a problem with the Producers indicating there will DEFINITELY be a 2nd season.   Draw your own conclusions.

http://jerichowiki.cbs.com/page/Ask+the+Producers

"(April 18, 2007)

Question:
    One Mans Terrorist episode
    Anonymous Monday, 2:37 AM EDT the warehouse the same man who interviewed Jake for the Pilot's job with a security firm in earlier episodes?

Producer's Response:
    Sorry, different guys.

Question:
    Future of Show
    Is episode 23 the season finale, or the series finale?

Producer's Response:
    Episode 22, entitled "Why We Fight," is most definitely not a series finale! In fact, by the time it's over, you'll have some great clues about where our story is headed in its second season."

Swordstress

[5]May 7, 2007
    • level: 4

The producers have said the first season finale would give enough closure if there isn't a second season, but most theorists agree that Jericho has a good chance of coming back for a second season, especially since it was the only serial-type show that was introduced last season that had a good turnout. 

There are 2 major rumors:

* CBS will bring it back but move it into a spot where it won't have to compete against the American Idol crowd.

*CBS will air it ala "24," where all episodes are aired in a row without the 3 MONTH HIATUS! 

TheRedPushpin

[6]May 7, 2007

If that Jericho Wiki message that Soylent points out stays up and Jericho is cancelled anyway, someone's neck is sticking waaaayyy out and that would look very bad for CBS. I know that it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth and very wary of CBS in the future. I do wish the producers would have made a similar statement when I asked my question last week, the one about renewal that got answered, on the main CBS Jericho site. But they were pretty cagey, saying that CBS would announce whether Jericho would return or not on May 16th, and they posted links to petitions saying good feedback never hurts. (See "Producers Answer Your Questions" on May 2, 2007 for the text of their answer to me.). I'll listen to Shaunvegas' radio show tomorrow and see what Carol Barbee's saying.

andsods

[7]May 8, 2007
    OK:
    Producer's Response:

Episode 22, entitled "Why We Fight," is most definitely not a series finale! In fact, by the time it's over, you'll have some great clues about where our story is headed in its second season."

(Other sources from The Company have also insisted there will be a Season 2)

On the 11th:

"CBS announces 'Jericho' will not appear on its Fall schedule."

Yes, both statement can be true.
    'Jericho' has made comittment to a Second season.
    It may not be with CBS, or not on the Fall CBS schedule (now).
    CBS doesn't make an official declaration or confirm or deny the status of a program on their network on a per program basis. They have an 'announcement date' and honor it.
    A lack of confirmation from CBS means nothing.

It is possible that the producers have Plan B and with or without CBS, they can declare they will have a second season & it serves them to satisfy any fan with that 'fact'.
    Yes, if there is not a current agreement ('Jericho' is not included in the official CBS announcement) one may wonder why CBS is allowing 'their' site to provide a platform for the producers before CBS and the producers are on the same page.
    It is less a case that CBS would suffer any backlash ('Jericho' will return...maybe not on CBS) from fans.
    Rather, CBS (knowing 'Jericho has a deal they may not wish to match) would not wish to promote a season 2 unless it is on their network.

It may bring into question the oversight CBS has concerning what appears on the 'Jericho' section. Seeing it on the site doesn't mean CBS 'approved' it. But if it slipped out, the network can only look bad (they don't deny or confrim anyway) and unless they are certain they don't have a deal with the Jericho folks.
    Thus, a nework site can allow producers of a show leverage unless the network keeps a lid on it.
    We don't know CBS did not approve of the leak...if they did not you can expect greater control on what producers write.

JerichoDave

[8]May 8, 2007
    • level: 1

The same thing happened with "Invasion".  The season finale was most definitely not a series finale on that show according to the producers, either, but ABC did not renew it, so it ended up being a series finale.  Let's hope for better luck with Jericho, but don't read too much into the producers comments.   All we can say for sure that they meant there is that the episode was not WRITTEN as a series finale.

Keep E-mailing CBS and telling them what a great show Jericho is.  Tell them they messed up with the long hiatus too...

After next week, it'll be too late, if it is cancelled.

realitychex

[9]May 8, 2007
    From a season-long forums lurker, until I stopped recently, when I barely had time to watch the show:

For the last week, I'm back and I feel a need to chime in once. Ratings either last week or the prior had Jericho fifth (number 5) in its time slot. I can't even name all 5 networks. UPN?

The most thought-provoking, creative and intense parts of the show may be it's undoing. The hiatus WAS kind of stupid. But after the hiatus, this show has Americans fighting Americans - "all-American" Kansans invading each other, shooting mortars and that tank has to come back right in the finale right?

Just for argument sake, that may be too much for the average American viewer to cope with. We like to think we're above such things, even though Jericho is portraying one or two Hank Williams Junior songs about being self reliant.

But Americans like it conceptually in a song, not portrayed in a such a way that we might begin to think we can relate.

So, perhaps the show's too intense.

There's a reason people like American Idol or whatever - mindless entertainment. So they watch that instead and CBS sees dollars or potential dollars fly out the window on Wednesday nights.

My own Googling found most TV critics thinking the show is gone. I hope they're wrong; they've been wrong before. But it's not like they just make it up. They know how the TV industry works.

The show makes me uncomfortable sometimes, too, but I've kept coming back for more.

So, here's hoping for a second season.

And if not, here's to the producers, writers, cast and crew for giving us a show that can be both entertaining and make us think - even if that type of a look in the mirror is too much for most people to take.

KidJohnston

[10]May 8, 2007
    • level: 2

realitychex wrote:
    From a season-long forums lurker, until I stopped recently, when I barely had time to watch the show:

For the last week, I'm back and I feel a need to chime in once. Ratings either last week or the prior had Jericho fifth (number 5) in its time slot. I can't even name all 5 networks. UPN?

The most thought-provoking, creative and intense parts of the show may be it's undoing. The hiatus WAS kind of stupid. But after the hiatus, this show has Americans fighting Americans - "all-American" Kansans invading each other, shooting mortars and that tank has to come back right in the finale right?

Just for argument sake, that may be too much for the average American viewer to cope with. We like to think we're above such things, even though Jericho is portraying one or two Hank Williams Junior songs about being self reliant.

But Americans like it conceptually in a song, not portrayed in a such a way that we might begin to think we can relate.

So, perhaps the show's too intense.

There's a reason people like American Idol or whatever - mindless entertainment. So they watch that instead and CBS sees dollars or potential dollars fly out the window on Wednesday nights.

My own Googling found most TV critics thinking the show is gone. I hope they're wrong; they've been wrong before. But it's not like they just make it up. They know how the TV industry works.

The show makes me uncomfortable sometimes, too, but I've kept coming back for more.

So, here's hoping for a second season.

And if not, here's to the producers, writers, cast and crew for giving us a show that can be both entertaining and make us think - even if that type of a look in the mirror is too much for most people to take.
    I think you might be right. Watching Jericho from outside of the US i always thought that it was a bit risque. Americans are known for being very patriotic, and i couldnt imagine a large proportion of the general public would like the thought of the show: from what we understand the man who orchestrated the bombs was American, plus the "civil wars" between neighbouring towns...

That said i am a big Jericho fan and would like to see a second season. The writers and actors etc have done a great job portraying characters in the aftermath of such a disaster. The show is also very gripping...it has me itching to watch it all week. Lets hope the finale is indeed a series finale and caps off a wonderful series in s t y l e.

Edited on 05/08/2007 3:04pm

andsods

[11]May 8, 2007

I think there are plenty of reasons why Jericho failed to meet expectations and you addressed a few.
    Since it began with more hope and 11 million viewers, I'm haunted by an early review. This, from TIME was while the show still had over 10 million tuning in.
    "In Jericho's yet-unseen outside world, millions of people in cities like mine could be incinerated, starving or in anarchy. But in at least one small town, life goes on, to a pop sound track, without us-without, in fact, much time or verbiage spent mourning us. Sitting in sight of the Manhattan skyline, I would say that's the scariest story of all."

Yes, things became grimmer in Jericho, in the final episodes and life is going with less soft focus on love triangles. 
    Plus, the producers have said they will expand the awareness in a season 2 & they will recognize the world outside of J-Town.

But I have been pulled back by the above thoughts.
    I wonder how many of the 11 million in the early audience decided they cared less about the people in Jericho because the people in Jericho didn't care about anything but the people of Jericho.
    History is rife with top ranked shows which were hit hard if not threatened and beaten by a better program. It isn't the nature of the biz to accept that any hour is immune from counter programming. A program which wishes to compete and intends to succeed does not blame and seek excuses.
    And Jericho could return to the same or different slot and triple its audience.
    But I doubt this or any forum is the best gauge how to proceed. I've been an off and on part of a group which receives a couple hundred posts a day. They're still loyal to a band which retired in 1969. This and other forums don't encourage objectivity. A core audience can be good or it may mean too few people care and the approve and support the wrong ideas. The interests here are not proof that the narrow concerns of Jericho are a sound course to attracting a larger audience.
    I'd prefer to see Jericho have a second chance. I also hope they get a clue, regardless of the good excuses beyond their control.
    But they won't be hurt by considering another, early review:
    "There is unknown danger on the horizon, tragedy everywhere and a social order on the brink of collapse. That's a lot of story potential, but most of it is squandered in trite and predictable ways."
    Yes, a second chance will mean little if it continues to be a story about people who live in a bubble and show no interest beyond their city limits.
    (Or, until they're attacked)
    No, that isn't attractive and it won't attract more viewers.

andsods

[13]May 8, 2007

dust2 wrote:
    Get a life.

Wrong forum.

'Get a Life'?
    The misadventures of a 30-year-old paper-boy (played by Late Night alum Chris Elliot) and his wacky parents.
    But Get a Life was also one of the first television shows that featured the killing of the star of the show.

'90-'92 

Powaygrl

[14]May 9, 2007
    • level: 10
    Jericho is one of my favorite shows this season, i hope it gets a 2nd season

Dvd2112

[15]May 9, 2007
    • level: 4
    I guess we will wait and see until next week.  The networks only care about one thing...the ratings.  Haven't really paid attention to Jericho's rating numbers but that is what it will probally boil down too.  The networks have often killed off great shows because the rating weren't what they wanted.  I really enjoyed the show Now and Again a few years back and it had weak ratings and the networks cancelled it anyways.  Maybe if CBS is dumb enough to cancel it, it will pop up somewhere else.  But you are right CBS has probally already made up its mind.  Of course hopefully its not on the fall schedule is because there are going to do it ala 24 style, start it mid season run it without interupation.  I could live with that.  Just have to cross our fingers, maybe they are waiting to see what kind of numbers it gets tonight for its finale.

teddy2288

[16]May 9, 2007
    TV Guide Canada says there will be a second season.  I don't know how they confirmed it but here's the link (with spoilers)...

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Jericho+season+finale/TV_Guide/May+Sweeps/Articles/070509_may9_GD.htm?isfa=1

LeBronJamesCavs

[17]May 9, 2007

I think Jericho has been second most weeks behind Bones. And It was beat Bones before long break.

max_grandeur

[18]May 9, 2007

I have said this before, and I will say it again! CBS had better renew Jericho for a second season, or else I am done with them!!!

Anybody who works for CBS or knows somebody who does, Please, forward this post to the CBS!!

trainingwheelz

[19]May 10, 2007
    • level: 6

Thanks for mentioning 'Now and again'...I thought I was the only other person in the world who was disappointed when that show was canned!  It had a nice cliffhanger final episode which made it harder to accept not being able to get answers.  Jericho is even better.  I always watch Jericho before I watch Lost because it's actually given us a satisfying amount of answers to many of the questions, all in the first season!  Lost is still screwing us around in that area.  Jericho has managed to portray, to my satisfaction, life in a small town after a nuclear holocaust.  It has a nice balance of asking and answering questions whilst asking more questions to keep me interested - all with a nice blend of action and character development at a pace that is not too slow.

acceler8te

[20]May 10, 2007

It is very likley we could see Jericho move to another Viacom(parent company of CBS) outlet....what is the possibility they move the show to Spike TV!?

I think if the producers used another Viacom media outlet they could improve the series by a factor of 100....It would be nice to see a different location setting...KS has does not have mountains or hills....if they move mdeia outlets they could make it less A-Team and more dramatic....

Suffice to say if CBS does not renew the producers have different outlets through Viacom and possibly even other non viacom outlets like Sci-Fi Channel , etc....my bet is that its back