Jericho

Heart of Winter

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 07, 2007 on CBS

• Nice to see a second good episode in a row. Are the producers/writers/creators finally starting to show the realities of a post nuclear world?

The adverse effects of weather upon survival on a post nuclear world can not be understated. If power is out, natural gas is not flowing (I assume), then you're going to be in trouble unless uyou are prepared when the temperatures start to drop. Although the monthly average temperatures for Wichita for Dec/Jan/Feb are 33.0/29.5/34.8F respectively, and hardly what I would call severe, I do take into consideration that the housing construction in that part of the continent is different from say, North Dakota or parts of Canada. And we did see a number of people out in fields who apparently died of exposure. Nebraska was mentioned (down to 21.1F in Jan for Omaha) and North Dakota (Fargo 5.9F in Jan), so weather is a serious and ongoing concern, as it should be.

The fact that a non fatal car accident could be turned into a life threatening event was realistic and effective. As was Mimi's disorientation as she set out back to Jericho for help. It's also nice to realize that searching for food (or supplies)outside of Jericho is an inherent danger in itself, considering that you now have to assume the existence of highwaymen.

There was still some extraneous material that I felt contributed little or nothing to the show (Hawkins segue adventure), but Emily's somewhat awkward reacquaintance with her fiancee balanaced that out.

Overall, an enjoyable episode. Give me another this good and I'll forgive 'Vox Populi' and 'The day before'.

Tom

Now let's see how they deal with planting and various other agricultural problems in the spring....