Jericho

Heart of Winter

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 07, 2007 on CBS

• Jake and Stanley and Mimi go on a hunting excursion which goes very bad. Meanwhile, Roger takes care of the refugees he led to Jericho. Hawkins and Sarah go to find "the old man" and instead find only deeper mysteries.

This was an excellent episode.

When I first saw the Roger/Emily story line emerging, I wasn't all that enthusiastic. It seemed to be a relationship story with two seemingly perfect people. The only real friction in the relationship was and still seems to be that Roger does not do everything Emily wants. Frankly, Emily is a pretty high maintenance girl. Roger tried to get her to consider moving to Chicago, and she blew up at him and said he was "selfish". Of course, it only took Emily 8 weeks to get right at the edge of cheating on Roger with Jake, so she's not really very faithful, either. I like Roger's character, even if he is a little too goody goody. The plot with Hawkins is still tangled. Just when I feel like I'm getting to know what is going on, they switch it up on me and leave me scratching my head. I do like the idea that things are heating up with him, and that he is part of what is really going on in the world, but they are teasing too much.

The crowning achievement in this episode is the hunting expedition with Stanley and Mimi and Jake. The whole situation was paced well and made me really feel what they were going through. I thought the acting was good, and the makeup really did a good job conveying the cold and the injuries. I have a feeling that we'll see that lighter again, and it will mean something when we do. How everyone reacted to the situation really did reinforce who they are as people, and I think that the writers do have a good grasp on the personalities they are writing about. Jake's relationship with his dad also takes center stage, and I bought it. The acting was quite good between Johnston and Jake, and both actors gave a very good performance.

This episode is done well, and has very few flaws.