Jericho

One If by Land

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Apr 25, 2007 on CBS

• Jericho and New Bern on the edge...of war

Things between Jericho and New Bern are getting more dire by the minute. Some men from New Bern are caught trying to steal salt out of Jericho's salt mine. Those 8 men pay the ultimate price for their crime. Hawkins, with all his CIA training manages to blow up the mortar factory shocking the residents of New Bern. Johnston helps bust out Eric and Jake from the jail. In all the mayhem I was hoping they might find Heather but they did not. Now it's up to Hawkins, Eric, Jake, and Johnston to pull the town of Jericho together for the inevitable retaliation of New Bern.
  • Jake is reunited with Maggie.

After Jake was captured in New Bern, Hawkins is on his own. That is until Johnston shows up in New Bern who heard about Jake and Eric back in Jericho. Hawkins drives a truck into the ammunition factory and in the resulting chaos and with the aid of JOhnston manages to free Eric and Jake and Maggie.

Maggie clearly cannot be trusted, but Jake doesn't know that, yet. I'm sure he will find out sooner or later.

I thought Emily speaking to Gail about Mary was very kind and I loved the barfight analogy. Gail telling Mary that she would be kept informed was a step in the right direction, I hope these two, Gail especially, can work out their issues.
  • Review

The only thing really missing from this episode was the powerful, cliffhanger type of ending that would have made it the best episode in the seires. Either way - the episode was fantastic with no filler scenes and a lot of intense conversations between the two towns involved in the episode - Jericho and New Haven.

The scenes with Jake and Eric in jail were really good - I liked the meteor speech and almost expected the writers to put a metoer falling in the final seconds of the episode, but was surprised when I didnt see one coming down. Hawkins stole the show in this episode, drawing out everything he could think of to infiltrate a town by himself and plant multiple bombing devices. Without a doubt on the the better action adventure scenes that this show has ever produced. Some of the scenes back at Jericho were a tad bit filler, but still really good. Skylars parents storyline with the angry town woman was the only real downside to the episode, which is why I canoot give it a perfect rating. Still - top 5 episodes of the season no matter what.
  • one of my favourite episodes

me and my friend dave watched this episode and loved it, but not because it was well written (which the episode is) not because of the fantastic actors and characters (which they are) but because it was the inclusion of three small things that made us chuckle when the action got too tense.

first; harry gets shot in the leg!!! you know harry he pops up every 4 episodes with one line... we laughed because everyone in the episode keeps refering to him as a regular but really he's an extra (but since this episode and we found out about the cancellation we keep joking that he and his bullet ridden leg should get a spin-off series)

and finally the leaping green brothers- we were not expecting both eric and Jake to perform some stunts like this but the, out of character unexpectedness and close up angles of them made us laugh.

seriously though this episode has it all drama, suspense, questioning of characters motivation... bring back jericho... long live the nuts revolution
  • Theres gonna be a jailbreak

I thought that this episode was really good it had me on the edge of my seat for most of the episode. I was really mad when I seen Maggie from the fake Marines in the jail with them but on the other hand i was happy to see her in there. I was happy that Hawkins found a way to blow up the ammo factory I liked seeing the fireball and New Berns reaction to it. I was happy to see Johnston go back into New Bern to help Jake and Eric escape. It was really great to watch the four of them fighting New Bern.
  • Eric:Jake---touching; but cannot be compared to Sam;Dean!

Eric: They want to know about Jericho, what our defenses are like. Do we have any troops? Where are they posted? Do we have a stockpile of weapons? Jake: We have to get back. We have to warn them.

Eric: We will. We're not gonna die in here.

What a touching brother moment...i must give the writers credit for their effort! But let's face it, the brother relationship between Eric and Jake cannot be compared to that of the relationship between Sam and Dean[Supernatural]!!! Good try...though.
  • Series is getting better than I imagined.

I started watching the series because the plot intruigued me. It started out ok, a little slow to build but I enjoyed it. The last few episodes are great, and I still have one on tape to watch. This show really provides us insight into what our lives could be like if a disaster (natural or otherwise) cut us all off from our pampered existence and we were forced to fend for ourselves and provide for ourselves.

Jericho shows us that many people/towns would turn on each other to survive. I don't think that is far from the truth. With all the mercenaries and unsavory sort of people out there to do anything to survive, including wiping out whoever gets in their way.

I look forward to the next few weeks!
  • Brother moment!

In this episode only good things happend.

First we should start with the 2 brothers. Even they were captured (Jack and Eric), is was a nice moment of the movie! Mostly when Jack told his brother about the meteor rain, it was touching! I enjoy it.

Then, Mrs Green made an efort to accept Mary, even if Emily told her to do that. Mary was amazed which was gr8!
    And we should not forget about Hawking, he made everything he could to save the brothers.
    It's good now, that Johnston know what Constantino is trying to do with Jericho but I don't know if he can do something right now, because Hawkins took care of their munition ;)
  • great episode

After a deal is about to take place at the Jericho salt mines. People from Jericho and New Bern trade gunfire resulting in some casualties. This event creates a hostility between the two towns. Jake and Eric are imprisoned at New Bern. They can't do anything here but wait. Hawkins set a trap for a few deputies. Jake finds someone else inside prison who looks familiar. This episode raises the tension for the main characters, now they are at war with other town folks. It's a messy situation brought about by Ravenwood, this episode demonstrates the hardships people might go through when law and order are not enforced. Great episode.
  • Robert Hawkins: An Army of One

Superb follow up to last weeks episode as Hawkins attempts to free Jake and Eric from New Berns prison taking out nearly a dozen of Constantinos henchmen. Eric's torture sessions were mostly unseen and could only be heard from Jake's, and the viewers, perspective adding to the tension. This was very effective as it left the viewer to imagine what was being done to Eric by Constantinos henchmen. It was clear they were beating him repeatedly then later using electric shocks as a metal bed frame was taken into the room. This adds to my theories the Producers are basing Constantino on Saddam Hussein - as Saddam did many of the same things in Iraq.

After "Semper Fi" Maggie snuck into New Bern, finally ending up in a cell next to Jake. From information given to her by Jake, Maggie leads 3 of the New Bern deputies to the cabin of a New Bern factory worker named Ted where Hawkins is - Hawkins at this point unleashes his inner "Jack Bauer" and silently takes out the 3 henchmen, freeing Maggie. The 3 scout out the prison and launch their plan to free Jake and Eric - starting with Hawkins using an improvised truck bomb to create a diversion at the bomb factory and concluding with an exciting gun fight that frees Jake and Eric. We also saw the struggle ordinary people have with killing as Ted just couldnt bring himself to shoot the sniper on the roof (Ted is meant to be the viewer - what would WE do? Would WE pull the trigger?). Johnston Green in town to demand the release of Jake and Eric, arrives just in time to pick up Jake, Eric and the wounded Hawkins and Maggie in a stolen truck and flee back to Jericho. With a one man army like Hawkins and a tank, how can Jericho lose the war with New Bern? ....... ...... ..... Too bad "24" and Jericho are not on the same network, as it would be great to see Kiefer Sutherland, as Jack Bauer, team up with Hawkins and Jake - the 3 Musketeers. The Hawkins character clearly possesses many of the same character traits as Bauer does. Both men are tragic heroes to sacrifice themselves, part of their humanity as well as their family lives to do what they can to protect their fellow citizens and friends.
  • Robert Hawkins: An Army of One

• Hawkins kicks butt.

With Jake and Eric still being held captive at New Bern’s jail it’s up to Hawkins with a little help to set them free and blow up the ammunitions factory at the same time.

This was a great episode with most of the main characters banding together and fighting as one instead of against each other as in previous episodes, I loved how Johnston didn’t take no messing from Constantino in wanting to see his boys and he knows what’s coming next, it all leads into what retaliation will New Bern bring to the table against Jericho.

The town now needs to stand as one and be ready for Constantino and his henchmen.
  • Tension mounts to the maxium copacity and things get really ugly!

I rated the last episode 9.7 until I saw this one which is why I lowered that. I am expecting and know that the action which happens in the next 2 episodes will be at its best and they will ne the only episodes which I give a perfect score as I dont give it out easliy. That on street action wich Robert, Jake, Eric and some others and the New Bern bastards was Jericho at its best and the best we have seen so far in this series. We know whats coming and none of it is Jericho's fault. The only reason that I personally feel hate running through my body is if they still stay something or deni something which is 100% correctly false, thats the why I feel about the army from New Bern and espcially those bastards in charge. When Johnston was having Constentino where having that tension fulled conversation, I just wanted to kill the New Bern leader. So there are 8 down from New Bern and they just lost a lot of their bombs but they still have thousands at least and hundreds of men.
  • im from israel and i have "reserve duty" in jericho next month.

what a coincidence im from israel and i have "reserve duty" for one month in jericho on 27.5.07
    wish me luck....
    i guess it will be boring (compared with the series),they'll give me to guard in barricade and guard towers... maybe ill take with me a mp4 player and watch jericho on it... (:
  • Hawkins, Jericho's very own Jack Bauer

Oh oh ho damn, never thought i'd say it but that was an action packed episode of Jericho. Guns,explosions, interrogation and Hawkins....kicking ass. Looks like the last 2 episodes of Jericho are going to be fantastic. How will Jericho cope with the artillery of New Bern and of course its now very pissed residents. The slight annoyances on the episode for me was with Dale (again) mary bailey however what makes it a great episode is once again Hawkins. For the past few episodes he has been brilliant and finally we get to see him kicking some ass at New Bern, i think Hawkins could give Jack Bauer a run for his money.
  • I'm glad Hawkins is on our side.

Finally some interaction with other towns. I was starting to wonder that everyone seems to be saying its worse on the outside, but we never seem to see any of this. Now we see the desperation other towns have. It is too bad that since they seem to be friends before, that the bombs destroyed that. But I still don't see why they couldn't atleast try to get together atleast once. Anyway, I love seeing Hawkins in action, especially when he is on our side. I'm not sure about the girl (name?) they picked up, she doesn't seem to be the trusting kind. I love Jake, but sometimes he trusts the wrong people. And what about Heather? They still haven't explained anything, and they won't even talk about it.
  • This is only the beginning...

First, I just want to make a mention about the salt issue. I've read in several places people questioning why such a struggle over salt? We take it for granted, but it's such a key preservative for food, in a post-apocalyptic world, I can't even imagine how valuable it would be...and not just for beef jerky!

Anyway, on to my review. Loved this episode. Tensions are escalating ever higher between Jericho and New Bern, and it looks like the citizens of Jericho will soon find out about what they're facing, once the boys make it home. That escape was pretty exciting, if a bit predictable. My only complaint is that they have been portraying the New Bern people as evil, though they should be at least a bit sympathetic, because they've suffered much more than Jericho. War may be imminent, and having not seen any previews for next week, it seems to me that Jericho may now have an edge: Hawkins blew up New Bern's factory, and Jericho still has a tank and the bomb. I still wonder if Heather is really dead...

Obviously, the New Bern plot was the main focus of this episode, but there were some things going on in Jericho as well: Gray is still in power, and has mostly recovered from being shot, Dale and Skylar are still struggling for independence, Gail is getting less hostile toward Mary, and Emily makes a small appearance. No sign of Stanley or Mimi this week. Can't wait for next week to see what happens!
  • What would we do in this situation?

I ask myself every Jericho episode "What would I do..." It's hard for us to imagine life in the situation that this show is written. I love sci-fi - but this is a reality that could only too soon hit home for Americans. We've never had to live under these circumstances.

I loved the exchanges between Hawkins and Ted. Ted, such a reluctant killer - Hawkins the professional killer. Mary & Mother Johnston - will this relationship ever gel? I think it will. Behond all else, Gail loves her boys. I don't think it will be long befoe Jericho citizens realize that they've made a big mistake in their choice of new mayor. Poor Gray. I really don't think he'll make it to next season. He's pretty worried about his salt...

Speaking of salt. Skylar and Dale are really making a go of adult choices. Where are all of Skylar's friends these days? Looking forward to next week!
  • In this episode we see what happens when words start to fail asconfrontation over scarce resource starts. And it doesn't really matter who is right and who wrong; only that people die and reason gets discarded. This should be one of the best episodes yet.

1) Who gets to drive the tank (lets get this out of the way first).

2) I assume that the initial ruckus at the salt mine is a distraction.

2) The initial interrogation of Jake went nowhere; why did they put him back in the cell with his brother?

3) It's extremely nice to see events steam roller out of control at the salt mine. This is what happens in real life; a raised voice, an errant gun shot, and you've got war. And over what, salt? If I was feeling particularly generous, I would say that this is an example of just how far society has sunk since the bombs hit (as an aside, has anyone wondered where those 2 US missiles hit earlier in the season?).

4)6 to 7 people hit from the shooting. One person dead.

5) Mention of a border at New Bern; there should be one at Jericho.

6) What are they doing to Eric? Torturing him for information if they're smart. Trying to break Jake's hard nosed attitude if they're not too obvious.

7) The back and forth banter between Constantino and Green is quite similar to the escalatign out of control tempers/tensions that caused the first Punic War. False accusations, imagine transgressions....

8) Again, Eric gets placed back in the same cell with Jake.

9)It's okay for criticism of Skylar's dad to come out now because a) he isn't here, and b) she's a kid. 10) So now they have a joint interrogation with Jake and Eric; I suppose it makes sense to go sfter the weakest link.

11) So they just leave Johnston Green all alone? And he can borrow a truck?

12) Hmm...a nice little bit of gunplay. No legal ramifications. We're not in Kansas anymore, are we?

13) Dale is being a real dick. Realistic. Nice. Overall, a nice workmanlike episode with no major mistakes, oher than Jake and Eric being kept in thw same cell. People are fighting over resources, hoarding food. gouging prices. In other words, the veneer of civilization is being stripped away. The next epsiode will of course see a disproportionate response, with Jericho coming under attack. Scial breakdown continues

I've been clamoring for an episode like this from the beginning. Too bad it took this long to get it. This only represents half of the story. We've yet to see the unique medical and phyiscal challenges depicted that a post nuclear world would bring about in anything other than a most cursory sense. Please keep the quality of writing at least at this level.

Tom