Jericho

Oversight

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2008 on CBS

• This season keeps getting better and better.

(SOME SPOILERS)

There is a lot to be said for last night's episode of Jericho, and in a nutshell (pun intended), I was very impressed. This episode brought back a couple of last season's characters, who until now, have largely been ignored - Skylar Stevens is one such example. (Up until now, I thought Skylar had been written out of the show completely). Mary Bailey is another example. Even though we have seen the main characters interacting at her bar in prior episodes this season (e.g., Jake talking to the reporter for the Modesto Bee), Mary hasn't been more than a peripherary character if at all. Here, we see our heroes (Jake, et al.) sitting at Bailey's and expressing their dissatisfaction with modern day tyrant, Jennings & Rall, and planning a modern day Boston Tea Party.

Understandably, Stanley did not want to get involved since his debt has been forgotten, and he can move on with his farm and his life. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

Also, I thought it was fun when Stanley referred to the 1980's movie, Red Dawn. Goetz arrests Dale for smuggling contraband and says that there is no room in Jericho for thieves. Dale is arrested and is being transported to prison without a trial when he is saved at the last minute by Jake and a quick call to Beck.

Later, we learn that Goetz himself is a thief. He has embezzled currency from the government and attempts to steal the ledger from Mimi, who caught the discrepancy in Jennings and Rawl's books. Nice little twist.

Hawkins learns that an aerial photo may reveal the location of the bomb, so he and Jake enlist Heather's help to steal a page from a classified report. Hawkins leads Beck away from town where he has planted info that will lead Beck to realize that the Cheyenne government is up to no good.

Back to Mimi and the ledger. When Goetz and his men storm the Richmond farm to get the book, disaster ensues and somebody dies. If you read the other reviews, you'll know who it is.

Good episode.