Jericho

Patriots and Tyrants

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 25, 2008 on CBS

• An exciting series comes to an end - This review is a retrospective of the series finale the past year and a half. Some spoilers.

7.9
    First of all, I want to thank the whole creative team behind Jericho for their hard work. This was a good show, and it had a lot of heart. I was hooked on the premise when I first tuned in, and I stuck with the show until the end. Last season, each episode was filled with excitement, culminating in a smashing cliffhanger with New Bern. The new seven-episode season started out strong... new characters were introduced(Beck)... old ones died (Bonnie's death was a shock/I never thought that CBS would allow Stanley to shoot Goetz in the head on TV) and the stories were solid.

Last night's finale was good, but it seemed like it was rushed, which left some holes that had to be left to the imagination. In one scene, Jake and Hawkins are talking in Hawkins' cabin about getting to Cheyenne. Hawkins is a wanted man, and he and Jake are in hostile territory. Five minutes later, they're in the heart of the ASA in Cheyenne in the mayor's hotel room with no real explanation of how they got there. We know that they must have encountered military patrols, checkpoints, possibly road gangs, but somehow, they've made it. Same thing with the mayor. One second, he is in Cheyenne, but then he sees Jake and Hawkins, and bam, he is back in Jericho with no problem. In one of the other reviews, I noticed that one fan commented that too much of the finale took place in Jericho (Bonnie's grave, Stanley/Mimi, etc). I disagree with that viewer's assessment. This show is called "Jericho," not "Jake and Hawkins." The writers had to find a way to tie up loose ends, and it was only natural to try and bring closure to each character, which is difficult to do in a normal finale, let alone forty-five minutes. I wish that there might have been an additional episode (perhaps a two-hour event) to really resolve wrap things up. As I said, this episode was rushed. I suppose that it was necessary for the bomb to be transported by plane to Texas. Again, given the time constraints, that was the only way to do it. If there had been more time, there could have been a story about smuggling the bomb out by truck or train. There might have been many things... and I guess that's what I am left with: A good show that might have been more if it hadn't ended prematurely.

Oh, and by the way, CBS, if you are reading this, it was poor taste to air a commercial for Sprint during the finale, which asks customers to "follow the bomb so that they can learn more about next episode." Clearly, there will not be any more new episodes.