Jericho

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 20, 2006 on CBS

• Wow… what a start to the series.

I have decided to rent the dvd out. And wow… did I love this episode a lot. Interesting character they bought in. Jake has a secret… and I want to find out what it is. And who is Hawkins. Very interesting. Great use of sign language… hope they show more of Bonnie. Caring brother too.

The bus scene with Jake and Heather was great, in an emergency Heather was still able to keep calm, which I can be like her (I'm a preschool teacher here in New Zealand). How Jake didn't panic under another situation with the Stacy in the bus, that was really well done.

I love Jake relationship with his mother, love how they get along, and Jake seem to still have a love interest in Emily, I do hope he will be Heather instead. But we see.

Great first episode, nice introducing new characters, can't wait to watch more of this season, and I hope I will get to see second season…

I can't believe this show has ended… so far I have watched 6 episode, and I love them… well… another series for me to buy and savour every moment of it.
  • What a good idea for a show.

I've been living without cable for almost 3 years now, so all my television comes from the web. I stumbled upon this show and decided to check it out. From jump street I was hooked. I've watched 5 episodes today alone! This is a great idea for a show and it asks all kinds of questions along the way. Where was Jake? Who is Mr. Hawkins really? What is really going on?? It's so exciting and scary at the same time thinking that this could really be a possibility of happening. I love seeing Skeet Ulrich in something interesting. I only remember him from like 3 movies. I look forward to watching all of these episodes, I'm just sorry I'm only watching it now and it's cancelled. boo.
  • This episode was really a great way to introduce someone to Jericho. I mean the thrill is just awesome.

So like is said all and all this is a great first episode. So the episode started with with Jake going to meet his parents. And after his dad refused to give money to him which his Grandfather gave he left. So he left and while he was on the heading out of Jericho he also sees the mushroom cloud in the sky, then all of a sudden BAM someone on the other side of the road hits him. On the other side the towns school bus is missing and Jake's father is trying to plan it out. And Gray is all over his but trying to make peoples confidence in Johnston go away. Then Jake saves the School bus. Dale's mother calls and her tragic death is recorded on tape. Serif sees a prison bus and he gets killed. At the end Emily finds something while going out of the city.
  • This episode is superb in terms of what would happen if a nuclear attack happened in the US!

Amazing episode i cant stop watching it! I watch it over and over again its that good. Its extremely accurate, showing what would/could happen in the case of a nuclear attack on the US. fights over gas, power going out. Compared to other people who made nuclear attack movies and shows, their work pales in comparison to this show/episode alone. amazing CGI work for the mushroom cloud (five times in appearence. Very catchy theme song, dramatic music that fits the show EXACTLY. The way the music is placed is amazing and it fits whats happening that very minute. The title is incredible with the morse code beeps. cool show and i keep watching this episode almost every day!
  • An excellent intro for a fascinating series. The prodigal son returns home just before a nuclear explosion destroys Denver.

A fascinating and disturbing concept for a tv series and the writers do a fantastic job building this world and populating Jericho with it's townsfolk. Each episode deals with a different crisis facing the town and how the town must learn to stand together… or die.

Skeet Ulrich is perfectly cast as Jake – the black sheep but shares the family traits: strength, courage, leadership and charisma. The Green family effectively run Jericho and though Jake left under a cloud, it's clear that his five years away have changed him into someone his family can be proud of. This show has something I love in a series: a close, loving (but never mushy) family. It's not easy to establish an intense complex family relationship in one episode, but the writers do a great job. I hope they build these relationships, I have a thing for brothers so I'd like to see Jake and Eric become close.

I could easily go on about the fantastic casting of the others but that would take pages, suffice it to say this is an impressive line-up. Next we have the fascinating Robert Hawkins – he and Jake are destined to be allies, they'll make a very effective team. Knowing far too much about the explosions and having gotten his family out just in time, he also possesses a truly remarkable ability to think ahead and improvise, which Jake also does, and it's clear that had Hawkins not been there, things would have gone far worse than they did.

Others worth mentioning: there's funny farmboy Stanley and his delightful deaf sister Bonnie; scary sharp-tongued IRS lady Mimi; Jake's cheating brother Eric; Jake and Eric's formidable mother Gail; the boy's tough father Johnston… there are many to choose from…

The entire sequence with the explosion was excellent, very disturbing. Jake shows impressive ingenuity and calm, saving the little girl's life and returning the bus to town. When things go bad, you see the best and worst in people and Jericho handled the crisis better than most, though for a while there it was close. People looting, fighting for gas – if Jake hadn't returned at that moment, there would have been violence. Just returning the children to their parents is the calmer needed and people are then willing to be more reasonable. The one person who is easy to immediately dislike is Gray – he's running for mayor so he should be thinking of the wellbeing of the town, not his political career. Instead of trying to help calm people down, he's stirring them up against Johnston. He's going to be a problem. Dale's news is released: it wasn't just Denver, Atlanta's gone too. As if there weren't enough immediate problems, there's prison escapees and the sheriff and some of his deputies are dead, which the town doesn't know yet. Johnston does the only thing he can do – sends everyone home and arranges to meet tomorrow.

The pilot quickly and strongly establishes the main characters before the explosion occurs. The casting is top-notch and there are a lot of familiar faces here. Then there's the fast pace and exciting action. The pilot really sets a standard which the rest of the series maintains.
  • An exciting premier!!

I'm going to admit, I originally started watching this show solely to see Skeet Ulrich. (He is absolutely fine) However, I'm hooked already. Although the concept of nuclear war isn't new, the way they've laid out this show is an interesting take on it. I love the way they focus on a small close knit community in a small rural area. It's obvious those are going to be the people that survive a situation of the magnitude of a nuclear strike, therefor we have a loosely real situation. I really enjoyed the pilot, I thought it was well paced, well written, and definately gave us some adventure and excitement. Looking forward to next week. Well Done!!!
  • The Pilot of a new series is always make or break for a series. If the pilot is good then chances are you will continue watching the show.

I just finished the Pilot of Jericho and I found it quite intrigued, that it made me continue watching it. There just was a nuclear bomb in a place near Jericho, and it might not have been the only one.

Is America under attack? Or was this a mistake or something gone wrong? Those are the questions that most people of Jericho are asking.

Character building have been quite good so far. The characters I am finding most intriguing so far are those of Jake Green and Robert Hawkins.
  • What would, and could happen if a nucleur bomb would go off in a small town.

A small town (Jericho) , a guy returns (Skeet Ulrich) after 5 years with different stories for different people. He is asking his father for trust fund money which was bequeathed to him. His dad says no (his father is also the mayor) of Jericho. A bus with children, seemingly a reunion between good friends, a possible old girlfriend connection. Throw in a nucleur mushroom cloud, power down and a town starts to worry. No communication due to no power, bus full of school children not reported back, a town in panic. Throw that all in together with why the "prodigal son" came back and you have episode one of Jericho, the pilot. It is quite good and really makes you think.
  • A very different world awaits the Kansas town of Jericho.

I never realized there was a forum for this excellent show until I got hooked on another CBS show. Then I found out I could review the shows! Wow. In light that Jericho is coming back (thank be) next month I thought I would share my thoughts about this show.

What grabbed my attention about this show was the mere fact that there could be such a catastophre that everything we take for granted could just disappear. The pilot did not over do things, made character introductions and started the weaving of a story that makes you sit with rapt attention awaiting the next episode. One of the best pilot's I've seen.
  • Jake returns to Jericho after 5 years.

Exciting pilot episode with lots happening. Jake tells different people differen stories about where he was during these years so we don't know what he actually did. However, somewhere along the line he learned how to do a tracheostomy and manages to save a young girl's life. WHen he drove into town with a schoolbus full of children, it seemed like, for the first time, his father was proud of him. Hopefully this will improve their relationship a bit.
    The sheriff seems to have found the wrong bus, not a schoolbus but a prison bus with murdered guards, presumably the killer is out there, somewhere, on the loose.

Denver and Atlanta are hit, what about other cities... Next episode must be good.
  • Review

After reading about the cancellation that was overturned I really had no choice but to try this show out and I think the first epsiode was exactly what a pilot needs to be - makes me want to watch the second episode. Once you get into a show, it can have several bad episodes in a row and youll still watch because you have invested so much time in it. The pilot episode always tends to be one of the best because it needs to keep you coming abck in week 2. It needs to be a good episode. The story started off well, I like how they didnt make the explosion the thing that happened at the end, instead deciding to make it happen right in the beginning and then taking the episode over from there. Jake is a good charatcer, I could see him holding up the show on his own. The pilot kind of stands for itself - it sets up stories but for the most part everything in this episode was solved. The myster prisoner that escaped from the bus should prove to be interesting, and the black man seems to know more then he leds on. But that could just be me. SOlid pilot, I will be watching the next episode right now.
  • Absoletly fantastic! The best Pilot episode for a show ever! I have seen it probably more than 15 times and it's still awesome!

When I watched this for the first time, I kinda skimmed over it and didn't really pay much attention to it. But, as the episodes went along and just got better and better, I got more and more addicted to Jericho. Then, after the season was over, I went back to the Pilot. I loved it! It was fantastic! It is fantastic! Every time I watch it I am in awe of the acting, writing, and just everything!

Absolutely fantastic and this episode is definately an attention grabber!
  • One of the best pilots I've ever seen.

I'd heard good things, so I decided to give the series a try when I saw that the entire first season was available on the network's website. After watching the pilot episode, I'm already hooked. The premise sounded like it could make for a compelling and suspenseful series, and that's exactly what we get in episode one. This is speculative fiction at its dramatic best.

Many pilots suffer from clunky introductions of the premise and characters, or they try too hard to hook viewers. In Jericho's case, the writers let the story speak for itself, and the characters are given appropriate and un-self-conscious introductions. In addition, the plot twists and turns to keep the audience guessing, even when we have no idea what to expect from the series yet.

The emotionally gripping plot and the sympathy and interest in the plight of the characters (who I have only known for 44 minutes) will undoubtedly keep me watching this series. If this is one of the lower-rated episodes in the series, I can't wait to see what happens next.
  • I want to see this show so badly!

I really want to see this show really badly, I saw the previews for this episode and it looks so awesome, I have to buy the whole series it just looks so awesome. This show makes me want to know more, like what is up with the nuclear explosion, is everyone dead, what about the people in the bar and stuff why aren't they dead. This show makes me want more and that is always great in any show! I just want to see this show so much! This really could be one of my favorite shows of all time, I have to see it to believe it I guess.
  • This is one of the best pilot episodes i have ever seen. Opening up the storyline without making too many problems.

This has got to be one of the best pilot episodes ever made. They do a really good job of introducing the characters. They make you want to know about the past of many of the characters but they dont do the "lost" thing where they never tell you anything. They also don't do the "brothers and sisters" thing where they make too much drama in the pilot. Its a very balanced episode that sets up the story very well. It makes the next episode a must see. The cast of Jericho is perfect. I am a Kansan from a town not much bigger than Jericho is, and i can tell you that it is very realistic. All in all...if you watch this episode, you will want to watch the rest of the series.
  • good enough

It's just like any other normal day in the Kansas town of Jericho, that's until the residents of the town sees a mushroom cloud rising over Denver, Colorado. TV and radio signals that are taken for granted disappear just before the blast. This is a very interesting take on a genre that was last exploited during the 60s at the very height of the cold war. But this genre is made fresh again after 911, when terrorists threaten the security of the world and this cold war theme feels new again as the threat of a nuclear war haunts the very minds of freedom loving citizens all over the world.
  • Jericho Episode one.

The frist episode is my favorite out of the series because every story has a start and this is Jerichos start the pilot is done very well as you meant all of the differnt caraters that you come to now over the season of Jericho the problem with the episode is that it is a little slow as with most episdoes are a little slow and the story has became better and better but how the town acts after the bombs and is trying to figure out what happend is very good as well that is all i have to say THE END.
  • Not great, but has potential

7.2
    After reading several reviews in different magazines about how Jericho wasnt very good and wasn't going anyway, I didn't expect much from this. But it wasn't terrible. The script does feel quite amateur-ish, and the characters aren't exactly the best, but this show has the potential to be great. It's like the 70s cult drama on the BBC Survivors, and it's certainly a worthy subject to make a show about, it just might not be the most exciting.
  • So......Jericho premiered in the UK last night. This is what I thought.

Overall, a fresh episode. It will help fill in the next few weeks before Lost returns. Once I looked up an Atlas to see where Atlanta was in relation to Denver, I was like \"This is going be good.\" But the age old question is \"for how long?\"

Let\'s just take it bit by bit I say. The first 30mins were quite slow to get going. After that it was quite exciting actually.
  • Ka-boom!

Jake Green returns to his home town Jericho to visit his grandpa. Didn't actually get it why. Well, anyway, it's all fun and games until they spot a mushroom cloud in the atmosphere. The small Kansas town left completely clueless and seemingly separated from the outer world, now have to come to terms of their new environment.

A new fall season show, that sparked my attention only 3 months after its first premiere. Actually with a help from a friend. Now I'm intrigued and want to watch more. It's amazing how can a TV series catch your attention like this. It's magic! And I love it!

This episode; Jericho pilot, reminded me of the pilot of LOST. It was so moving and dramatic. I completely felt for both of these situations. Who in fact are quite similar. Except the fact that now the people are in a not-so-quiet Kansas town, witnessing a nuclear fallout instead of being trapped in an odd island. But for both scenarios, people have to come to terms with their new, seemingly impossible, reality that generates extreme threats of its own. The drama is really touching, no matter what the small details are. Island, fallout, what's the difference.

I was amazed by the acting quality of this show. It was really moving and actually felt really real(what a great choice of words). But of course you cannot make a show without few minor cliches. Like, of course Jake, who managed to find the bus of kids of course KNEW CPR, so he could help them. Or of course the town has at least one person that knows everything, like Mr. Hawkins for that matter. Completely destructing the town's clueless folks image. The show looks promising, let's hope they keep it going as good as it entered the field.
  • Welcome to Jericho.

Jericho opens with a very calm first 20 minutes.
    We witness a small family affair in this small town called Jericho.

However, things soonly turn bad, as a mushroom cloud shows up on the sky...

the adventure of the citizens of Jericho starts right here.

Jericho's mainly about survival and cooperating. At least it seems like that for now.

How people are managed to survive without any incoming supply, television, radio, anything. And how are they capable of cooperating, do things together to help each other.

Unfortunately, this episode couldn't really establish the post apocalyptic feeling; instead, we got a bunch of cliches: the cheesy monologue of the mayor at the end, the overused tracheotomy scene, and the girl who's totally deaf and blind.

However.The show has a very original idea and a gripping storyline; those little cliches won't distract you for long.
  • This opening episode really hits hard, brought several tears and shocked the nerves to the point of being quite scared. This first episode has grabbed my attention big time.

This excellent script has been brought to the screen with such good timing, by the actors that is, the formular for shocking an audience here is well structured. This episode draws you in slowly then catapults you into the unknown. The less you know about this program the better, for you can see from this pilot that the writers behind this want you to know only what you see, and not what is about to come, because that is for you to think about. Each scene leaves you needing to know what is happening, this is set up to be one of the most down to earth and believable mystery sci-fi drama thrillers to date.
  • This show really got my attention in the series pilot of Jericho.

I have to admit, to me this show was a huge surprise. From the first minute of the pilot it had got me hooked. It has a clever plot, good action and cliffhangers at the end of every episode. This episode was a really good beggining to a series which can go lots of places. And since watching this episode, I knew I had to see the next and the next and the next. Jericho to me was a huge hit and one of the best new shows this year. A very good start to an excellent new show. Can't wait till next week, the fall finale!!!
  • Looks to be a very interesting series.

This show definately has my attention. It apparently will be a series that focuses on the survival of a small town by working together to protect themselves. Some of the apparent side plots look corny, but, what do you expect, the writers have to appease a wide range of viewers to make this show attractive enough to keep people waiting from week to week to get 40 minutes of story, (or multiple stories), per episode.

I personally think this show will do well this first season. I am looking forward to a second season, but a third ..... not so sure if the interest will be there.
  • Jake Green comes back to Jericho. After a not so great run in with his father he leaves town again. On his way out of town, he sees a Mushroom cloud rising in the sky over Denver. The people of Jericho must now work together to survive.

I really enjoyed this episode. What an original piece of work.
    I was not expecting Dale’s parents to be in Atlanta. I am not sure how I feel about Grey yet. He seems to be an instigator of many things. And he doesn’t seem to want what’s best for Jericho just what’s best for the mayoral race. I am very interested in this Hawkins character. He seems to know way too much about everything. And he’s right there for everything. Jake is an interesting character, and I am curious as to why he needs his grandfathers money, and where has he been. Plus how did he know how where to cut the little girls neck.
    Well I am very enthusiastic about the premise of this show. Two thumbs up from me!
  • I really enjoyed the pilot to Jericho.

I think they started this series off just right and I hope they can keep it up. They did a good job of introdcing us to the people of Jericho. They also did not give to much away in the first eposide and they are alos not trying to do to much. I really enjoy the show and I hope it is on for a long time because they are going a little out on a limb with the perimise of the show which I think is great its not another cop or doctor show and it is a really refrehing change. Good work
  • Not as good as I expected and definitely could have been better, but this show definitely has potential.

When I first heard news of a new show about a small Kansas town, dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear attack I was pretty intrigued and excited. It sounded very interesting and was at least mildly original amidst all the 'missing person conspiracy dramas' at the moment. When it finally arrived and I watched pilot however, I was a little disappointed.
    The story seemed a bit rushed and the little build up that there was, failed to create any tension. Too many characters were introduced for any of them to really make an impact, and the weight and severity of the situation in which we found them wasnt really driven home. It was hard to feel the sense of impending doom and foreboding that I knew I should be feeling. I feel that with perhaps a 2-hour pilot they could have created the tension and build up a little better and had more time to establish characters and relationships more firmly before throwing them into the action. Many of the scenes just seemed thrown together and at times it was a little hard to follow and didnt seem to flow very smoothly, and rather than wanting to find out what happened next, I was often trying to cement in my mind what had happened previously, as they didnt leave a big enough impression.
    Despite it's downfalls, the pilot did have some good points. The idea of having the prison bus crash and the convicts escape was pretty exciting, and the moment when Dale hears his mother's message and the town's people realise that Denver was not the only city to be hit was pretty chilling. Also, the fact that we witnessed the nuclear attacks from afar rather than in the centre of the action was a fresh change and portrayed a real sense of isolation from the world.
    Overall, this show definitely has potential, I just feel that the pilot could have been so much more. I have faith that it will pick up and some interesting ideas were hinted at in this pilot, but I just think that the oppurtunity for an explosive (pardon the pun) beginning to the series has been passed on.
  • Surprising and entertaining.

We tried this show just for the sake of trying it. We'd heard that it was supposed to be good. And it was! We were extremely, and pleasantly, surprised.
    I especially liked Stacy and the bus. That was very creative and definitely not what I expected based on Jake's father's reaction to him earlier in the episode.
    (PS - I really liked Jake's car, too!)
  • With such a plot the pilot could have meed even better

An interesting plot, very catchy. I would have exploited the nuclear bomb ideea a little bit more but it's okay.
    It hasa great cast, i'm sure it will be an succes so i will continue watching it. Basicly the prodigal son returns exactly the same day when a nuclear war begins. The entire United States is bombarded with nuclear bombs, erasing it off the map. A small town remains untouched, Jericho. The townspeople will have to survive without electricity and avoid radiation. Probably in the next episodes we will understand how much the world as we know it has changed.
  • A great starting episode, but not as good as I expected.

alright, please do excuse the crappy english. i was really looking forward to watching this. i missed the original airing of this ep and then my sister told me too late of course, that it was on, and hwo good it was, so i wanted to watch it. now, i was all mad at myself. but, not to worry, we found otu that there would be an encore airing. awesome. or so i thought. im not usually a fussy tv watcher. if i have a tv i can usally watch whatever is on. but with this, i think the lead up was so fantastic. it was one of the best episodes ive seen for a beginning of a show, but im not sure what it was, it just didnt do it for me. ha, listen to me, im sounding like mark from aus idol =P ah well, it was pretty good, only, im real freaked now coz of the escaped crims and all the shot people!!
< 1 2 3