Jericho

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 20, 2006 on CBS

• An excellent beginning to what just might be the end.

A believable and in-the-moment ensemble cast make this a gripping and tense story right from the start. Knowing what\'s coming for these characters does nothing to help allay the feelings of dread that each moment seems to bring.

This is a departure from most of the fictional drama of the past few years, simply because of the reality of how possible this scenario is today. JERICHO is very realistic in it\'s depiction of the many kinds of reactions people experience in such times of severe stress and hopelessness.

Although the typical Hollywood flavor is there, trying to make things seem like good people can always prevail over bad circumstance, I gotta tell ya, this is not a happy show. But then again, how much fun can you expect from a series that blows up most of the United States in the first episode?
  • Not what I expected, but definitely worth watching.

7.6
    Let me start out by saying that all the buzz surrounding this show isn't entirely deserved, not from what I have seen.

Nevertheless, I am curious to see what happens next, or rather, what actually happened. We all saw the mushroom cloud, and we all know what that means. Or rather, we all think we know what that means.

For a pilot episode this did not really manage to impress me, you'd think a hyped up television show would start promising, but it really seems the only thing that will keep people watching is what really happened that caused the mushroom cloud. You won't be watching this show for the brilliant character development, the wonderful dialogues, or the fabulous screenplay. Because really, all are hovering around the middle of the quality spectrum.

But hey, who knows, maybe the show just needs some time to pick up the pace. And we can always hope the main characters we don't like die from radiation poisoning, no?

What happened to the days where pilot episode were one hour, or one and a half?
  • A great intro to what I believe (and hope) will be a great new show.

Jericho has a lot of creepy elements and great characters from what we have seen from the pilot. What it was Jake was doing while he was in the army will be an intriguing topic, and I liked the bus storyline. The phone recording was a great way to introduce the Atlanta bombing, as the scene where the kid was sitting there listening to it was pretty creepy. The score was also very good, and the imagery is, of course, truly awesome, the mushroom cloud sending shivers down my spine every time you see it. I like the music through radio thing, and the end was a nice lead-in too. This looks to be the next Lost to me. We can only hope, right?
  • Solid beginning to the series!!!

The beginning episode to Jericho unfolded in a rather predictable manner but it\'s the characters that are shown that will make or break this show.

The show will revolve, it seems, around the character of Jake and he is shown to be a heroic, though with flaws, character. The other characters in Jericho are given less air time but a few seem interesting to say the least.

The one danger with a show like this is how to keep it believable and entertaining at the same time. Judging from this first episode, this reviewer believes they have the right mix as long as they avoid too many cliche driven scenarios.

Good start!!!
  • I liked every minute of it. It was a perfect introduction there wasn't to much but it also wasn't to short. I thought it was a little graffic with the girl on the school bus.

I thought the first episode was the best introduction I have seen in along time. I can't wait to see the second episode. It had a good begining showing all the people that watched the bombing. Then the one guys got in a car accident and he found the school bus. I couldn't watch that school bus scene where he cut the little girls throat open. I just couldn't watch that part. But the rest of the show was really good. I think this is the perfect kind of show to show at this time because of the war in Iraq and the big scare these days of other countrys bombing us. I am just really curious who bombed them. I also thought it was smart to show that Atlanta got bombed. That showed it wasn't a test or a drill. I hope this show stays as good as the first episode. If it does it will get some emmys.
  • Examines the 'what if' of the opening stages of the end of the world.

Has the potential to be a good series (I saw this back in July), but must address a number of issues for it to succeed;

1) The problem of a constantly diminishing food and/or medical supply.

2) The issues of whether or not a military/authoritarian takeover will occur. In other words, will there be a developing tension between private citizens and the 'government'.

3) Does the Consitution of the United States of America still stand *IF* the federal government has ceased.

4) The long term saftey of food and/or water supplies (ultimately the in town supplies will run out and they will have to grow their own and/or scavenge).

5) Exploration; how far are they will to risk sending out search parties.

6) Are they willing to defend their town against outside influences?

7) Will resources be 'nationalized' in the name of public safety?

8) What will they do if it is *the end*?

In other words, there is a lot of ground that they can cover. Wheter or not they tackle any of these issues will make or break the show. At all costs, they have to avoid the encroachment of soap opera sensibilities. It has promise, I'll keep watching, but I want it to improve.

Tom
  • This show is gonna be good it looks like.

From watching the Pilot episode, it looks like this show have great potential. The music on this show is good. The actors do a good job. The effects are cool too, like when the explosion goes off. It also has good drama, like when the girl on the bus stopped breathing. This show looks like it is gonna be mostly fast paced, with a few slow parts here and there by just watching the Pilot episode. We will just have to wait and see for the entire season. It also shows what would happen if there was a nuclear explosion did happen. What the small town people might do. But this show is gonna be good I think.
  • What a start.

The pilot of Jericho is just an outstanding start. They start the show out starting to know Skeet Ulrichs character out giving diffrent storys. I thought with the popular picture on the top of the screen with Woody played by Joseph Castanan would have a bigger role but the combination lasted less then a minute. But as it all turned out this show has things to come.
  • A nuke with a silencer

One big problem I have with this story—where’s a noise? It was a nuke explosion that could easily be seen in the distance. You mean to tell me nobody heard it? The earth didn’t rock? No unexplainable ashes whizzing by? No seemingly change in the weather? Or sudden darkness? Or wind? Or all those other neat effects that put the viewer in the surrealness of a nuclear explosion? I mean the filmmakers could have had a field day with CGI. Instead we get this really tame nuclear explosion and the cheap effects used were a measly taperecorder, a not-too-scary cloud in the distance, and a dead animal lying in the road. Well, if the animals died of radiation, why didn’t the kids in the school bus perish as well?

Only the last scene registered a blip on the radar with the dead birds lying around. Which begs the question, why do you have a major character walking around in a radioactive area?

The acting and directing was good, the dialog not too witty, but natural, storytelling elements, such as the emergency tracheotomy, poor, over-the-top.

So far the pilot rings hollow. People seem artificially panicked because the filmmakers went through no trouble to set up a realistic nuke scenerio.
  • If they had the power to print tomorrow's edition it would read: "Prodigal Son Saves Children In Bus Crash" not "World Under Attack?" and that is the beauty of this show.

So, typical first episode of any show, you got to meet the important characters and set up the premise. I’m not sure how this show is going to go. It got a little over the top dramatic at times, but most of it was the honest reactions small town folk would have to big global events. They personalize it and are most impacted by the things that happened at home, not far away. They lost connections to the outside world (television, phones, cell phones etc) and then they lost power too. People panicked and they started to turn on each other. The speeches were a little corny. The animals are all acting weird. It is never good when birds fall out of the sky. The field trip bus crashed into a deer, a little girl almost lost her life, but thank goodness Jake knew how to do a thoracotomy. This was a little far fetched. Couldn’t he have just performed CPR or helped with a broken bone? Oh well, I guess this was more exciting. I wonder who was on the prison bus, and what their plans are? As usual fathers and sons have strained relationships. I going to watch the next episode, but I won’t be surprised if this doesn’t get picked up. It’s needs a little more creepiness, a little more realistic action. Otherwise a good show.
  • Just as I expected! Absouloutely brilliant!

Wow! My first impressions of Jericho are unexplainable. I am sure to say just after watching this first episode that I will watch this show to the end and it will probably become one of my favourite shows along side Lost and Prison Break! I loved this episode! It got a little spooky with the prisoners on the loose but I loved everything else. I can see a lot happening with this show and the cast. I can definitely see some town heroes and many storylines opening up. I hope that the prisoners that escape are not one of the storylines because that would just be creepy. I want this show to focus on survival and dealing with each other and facing what has happened.
  • A small Kansas town must come together to survive while parts of America are blown off the map.

My wife and I watched Jericho last night and we both had different reactions. After reading some other reviews, I've noticed 2 things other people have said. 1) It reminds them of Lost and 2) the science is flawed.

Well... this show ain't Lost. I hope it doesn't turn out to be that. Lost sucks and if it becomes a CBS Lost for the middle aged, Midwestern viewer, then I will stop watching. This show actually keeps me thinking about the scenarios it presented. While, I don't know if a small Kansas town could see Denver being nuked, the story works within its own boundaries. Many people don't see this. For the show to be good, it must be true to itself first. I think they captured that well.

The characters are believable. For once, we have the presentation of a level headed Midwestern American in a disaster (Gerald McRaney). Sure, the whole dad-son strained relationship is typical and that's why I gave this episode the rating it got. But, he played very level headed considering what's gone on around him. And I don't care what disaster may befall people, humanity will act like the town did at the gas station. The story left many questions unanswered. BUT, that's for future episodes!

Which brings me to the science issue. Sure, we haven't seen the fallout or the wind effects or anything like that. But if people watched the previews for next week, look what's coming!

However, 2 images in this episode still stick with me. 1) The child seeing the cloud from his roof and 2) the son constantly repeating his mother's last words before she was blown away in Atlanta.

This show, as imperfect as it can be, it trying to be real. Give it a chance. I think it has potential and I want to stay tuned. Its better than Lost!
  • Not what I had hoped for -- but what is when you are dealing with nuclear holoucaust.

Okay -- I admit I had high hopes for this show. The premise looked so good, the characters looked compelling that that kid seeing the blast is a lasting visual that is hard to shake, but the show's pilot let me down because of one major thing -- the science.

I won't deal with characters -- it usually takes me one or two shows to really be able to say what I feel about them -- so I'm going to deal with some thing that is always a big issue with me -- plot holes. And I found many.

1. The nuclear blast looked to be at ground level. Okay -- we assume Colorado and Atlanta. We know Jericho is in Kansas. 2. If you can see the blast, you can feel the effects. Enough said on that one.

3. Where's the wind that supposedly follows a blast and the fire?

4. A geiger counter to read the air -- okay -- I don't know enough about that to comment so I won't. It just looked a little ridiculous.

5. One group of students on a field trip while the rest are at home? You would think they would be in school wouldn't you.

Well, I could give you a few more but won't.

I miss BONES for this last night. Will I next week -- NO!! Will I watch Jericho again -- probably but only if BONES is in repeats or the ball game is on.
  • This episode did its job!

This episode did its job and did a very good job at that.

Since this episode was the series premiere, it was suppose to hook its audience...therefore i'm pleased to comment that the writers did a very good job at that.

I was actually a little apprehensive, because from the previews it appeared that the show would be based on a small town's reaction to a nuclear bombing.......that i believed was a storyline that would crash and burn.
    However, i can say that so far, i was proven wrong.
    From what i saw last night, it looks like the show will be a huge success. There was also a hint of mystery.......so now i'm curious as what is Jake's secret life.

All in all, there is a great chance that the show will become a number one hit, due to the fact that it relates to our society today.
  • Here, the most hyped series of the upcoming Fall season, actually delivered. It was entertaining, the premise is highly interesting, and the characters aren\'t too much of hokey, small town carbon copies. Let\'s just hope it doesn\'t become \"Lost

This was my most highly anticipated Fall premiere, and it actually performed well as CBS\'s flagship fall show. The characters are well written, (although a twinge of overacting is in the nuclear air) the plot is very compelling, and most importantly, it has heart. A lot of shows tend to abandon that concept (Lost), so let\'s hope \"Jericho\" doesn\'t fall into the same pitfalls that our favorite ABC castaways did last season.

Starting with Skeet Ulrich. Sorry folks, but he\'s just not the best character here. He still has that lack of emotion he puts into characters that AREN\'T sociopaths (\"Scream\"). He\'s still trying his damndest to be Depp, and it\'s failing miserably. I\'ll put him on the clock to develop himself after 4-5 episodes, but after that, he\'s out of the box. Develop you moody son of a b****!!

My main gripe with the show is its whole concept of \"the people of Jericho are going to change forever in the wake of extreme duress and tragedy.\" You can see some of the storylines already develop:

*The budding romance between Jake and Heather
    *The mysterious lone black guy who is obviously a former convict will probably reform himself after spending time and helping the town through the trauma.
    *The shrewd, D.C. power-IRS woman who comes to Jericho to audit the poor farmers regrets and looks at her whole life in retrospect
    *The loser Dale who sweeps up the shop and is looked down by the prissy local girls will all of a sudden become a town hero and a man. (as seen by his helping of the shopwoman.)
    *The power-hungry candidate using the politics of the situation to try and undermine the mayor and possibly split the town.

I\'m hoping I\'m wrong in some of these, or at least the writing staff can wield them into something intersting rather than seeing what we\'ve already seen on ABC\'s dull Island of survivors.

All in all, it was a fun show to watch. Very gripping, inticing, and full of heart. Tone down the hokey speeches every 5 minutes, give Skeet Ulrich some smelling salts, don\'t push this convict thing too far, and we\'ve got ourselves the first bonafide hit of the Fall season. Let\'s just hope the viewing audience agrees.

Final score: 7 out of 10.
  • This episode turned out pretty much how I expected it to...

With all the advertising I'd seen for the premire of Jericho, the first episode pretty much turned out how I'd expected it to; and it was relatively good on top of that. It'll be interesting to find out exactly what kept Jake Green away from the family & town for five years, and what'd happened between him and his father to cause such a rift between the two. I also think it'll be interesting to see how things turn out between Jake & Emily Sullivan -Jake's former fiancee-, and between Jake & Heather -the teacher on the schoolbus. There seemed to be some chemistry between the two, in my opinion...

If I had to guess about what'd kept Jake away from the family, I'd have to say he spent some time in jail... but I could be wrong. Jake made it known to the kids that he'd been in military school for a time, but he didn't say when ... so it's certainly possible that he was in jail...

I do hope that the show stays on long enough to get a better feel for the main cast, though; it sometimes feels like a series I like gets cancelled just as I was getting a feel for the characters... and I hope that it doesn't happen here...
  • Disapointing in one word. No blast like I hoped. But I won't give up yet.

Disapointing in one word. Thought this was going to be a blast, but even the nuclear explosion didn,t make any noise. The fact that most people in this small community knew what happened is still a mysterie to me. There was no news on the tv or radio, because they were cut of immediatly from the outside world. The fact that the local police couldn,t find the missing schoolbus? What do they have, like two roads!! I wasn,t glued to my seat this episode. Hopefully the next one will give me something more than just yawn....is it already over. The one good thing about this show maybe is Pamela Reed, a fine actress. And Skeet could keep this thing going on.
  • The pilot really didn't come up to my expectations.

7.9
    When I first saw this show advertised, I really didn't feel any interest in it. But on the day it premiered, I decided to watch it with nothing else on. I'm kind glad I did, because I know this show will get better than this slightly above average Pilot.

It really didn't excite me like some other shows I'm into, but it's the best show in it's time slot. It follows a small town in Kansas and how they react when America is getting bombed. It's not the most original idea, but they execute it fairly well.

My only problem is that the show really isn't that realistic in some senses. Like on the bus, for example. Those kids would be screaming and not the calm kids shown. Also, when are there mountains in Kansas? It didn't really affect the show that much, but it still annoyed me. The characters and plot are good, and I can't wait to see how they drag this out into a whole season!
  • Not Original But Promicing

Not a bad introduction to what i hope will turn into a compelling drama for CBS. This episode really held my attention and exceeded my expectations but i thought the writing wasn't anything original, it's been done before and like someone else said 'i hope it doesn't turn into another LOST' in the way like last season was dragged out and could be told in 8 episodes instead of twenty odd.

Character development needs to come to the forefront in the next couple of episodes so we can feel more comfortable with the characters and the situations they are put in.

Over all a very promicing pilot with only the originality of the story letting it down.

8.5 out of 10
  • Pilot episode was interesting but highly predictable. I'm gonna stick for the second episode. The pilot doesn't really define the series.

I really like the season premiere. I thought the storyline was pretty good. The characters were pretty interesting. But I thought it was a little predictable. I really loved the shots of people seeing the mushroom cloud. It was sad when the little boy saw it. This episode kinda have you thinking what would happen if this happened to you. I really would tune in for the second episode. The pilot got me all hyped up and the storyline is solid. But I was just wondering, what happened to that guy Jake hit? He just left him in the side of the road. The pilot seems like an opening to a great season.
  • To soon to tell about the show but I liked the pilot.

While the pilot was slow to get going, I found myself drawn into the sense of fear and isolation the towns people were experiencing in this episode. It will be interesting to watch how this plot develops over several more episodes. I like the scifi, end of the world theme of the show and I hope that the show will get better as the plot and the characters are developed more completely. The best moment of this first episode was when the phone tape was played, leaving no doubt that a bomb had gone off, and the boy said that it was a call from Atlanta. It is to early to tell if this show will be worth watching long term, but I will definitely tune in next week.
  • I can't see why anyone can dislike this show.

If you are a fan of drama I can't see any doubts in this show it really caught early on in the sneek peaks. I wanted to see this show more than anything until i heard about The nine but it's still holds high after this good pilot. I look forward to the story progressing through.
  • Lots of potenital!

Enjoyed the pilot episode a lot and am looking forward to seeing where they go with the series. For some reason I didn\'t enjoy Jake\'s look but I\'m curious about the history between him and his father, brother and grandfather. I thought the prison bus crash was a bit over the top and I can\'t quite understand why everyone would rush to stock up on gas but not mob the grocery store. Enjoyed the insights of the citizen cop...I\'m anxious to see his character develop. Overall, a very enjoyable pilot episode and I\'m looking forward to next week\'s show. Good job.
  • Is this The Day After as a series or something more? Based on the Pilot, only time will tell.

I was expecting as little more from this pilot. It was interesting to meet the major players, but everything rolled out so slowly and predicably that there was no real drama.

We knew that the black sheep (Jake), would win his fathers approval. We knew that the kids would be saved, the mayor would make a heat warming speech to unify the town, the sherriff would end up dead, criminals would be on the loose, and chaos would rule the land. Did I leave out any post apocalypse cliche.

Whether this show can be a winner or not, will in my opinion depend on how well they handle these cliches, and how well they build some real drama.

I mean this is end of the world stuff, let\'s not just go down the all ready well beaten paths.
  • What a steaming pile! All emotion and no substance.

I realize this was only the pilot but wow - what a terrible show. The plot itself was interesting but the actual writing was awful. The music also sucked. It was that same type of emo mess played in shows like Smallville when they want to pull at your heartstrings - but it comes across as whiny and just plain annoying. The music was also way overused and really damaged the suspense and dramitic quality of several scenes. The writing was very amaturish - you could tell the writer wanted the ep to be deep and powerful, but it wasn't. At times it seemed almost like a Fox News Channel story - all emotion and no substance. Jericho plays like a cheap, poorly written soap opera with an apocolypic twist. Unless way better writers have been hired for the other eps, I have little hope for Jericho. All in all Jericho is an insult to viewers who know what good shows (like Buffy, Farscape, Deadwood, Firefly, The Wire) really are. If you want to see what a real quality show with an apocolyptic twist looks like, check out HBO's excellent series Carnivale instead.
  • Follows the same theme as Lost and 4400.

First of all I like to say that this episode shows a lot of promise and could possibly be a start of a good show. This show seems in my opinion, follow the recent trend of shows where everything is not what it seems. Where a lot of secrets and mystery becomes the dominant factor and questions that the viewer might ask will not be answered until much later on or not at all and if it will be answered it will only create more questions. Many would recognize hit shows like Lost and 4400 and even Desperate Housewives and many more. I like some of these shows but a factor the irks me is this whole secrecy thing sometimes going to far and to many unanswered questions can make a show like this annoying. I also hate it when the show is set up so that you're forced to watch every single episode in order and missing one and one episode in between will make watching it to complex because in almost every episode a vital clue is given that doesn't make sense unless it is compared with the other clues you´ve previously seen. You have to watch them all to know what on earth is going on since such little info is provided. This show will probably have a strong core audience but the rest of the target group is likely to boy cot it. Unless this core group gets big enough, this show might not last long.
  • A small town in Kansas my be the last town in the US.

This show seems to be a lot like Lost while combining the overall feel of the 80s TV movie The Day After. The Day After was what would happen if nuclear war broke out with Russia. In Jericho the main charachter comes back home to a small Kansas town to collect some money from his grandfather\'s will. But his father, the town mayor, refuses. So he packs up and leaves. Soon after he leaves in the distance you see a mushroom cloud explosion. All the TV and radio in the town die instantly.

At first the town thinks it was just an accident. That is till a teen plays a recording from his parents in Atlanta at the moment the bomb hits. Now the town is with out power and lost in confusion.

Meanwhile the main charachter has crashed his car and struggles to get home. He runs into a bus load of school kids who crashed. The mayor sends the sherriff out to look for the kids since they haven\'t returned yet.

Sherrif finds a bus... but it is a prison bus. Now the show has it\'s own \"others\" like lost.

Overall the show seems interesting. It is worth picking up and watching.
  • Great show so far!

Great show so far as I like what I see and that it reminds me of the 1983 disaster tv movie The Day After as that was also set in KS just like this movie. As this would be like no "ordinary day" on earth and that their lives would in the process change. Great show so far!
  • A great opening to a soon to be a great show!!!!!

When a small town called Jericho, Kansas wittnesses a nuclear bomb somewhere near Dallas, Texas. The whole town goes into chaos!!! Will something be done to correct this problem?

In my opionion, this pilot episode was excellent!!!! Great series premire!!!!

The acting was excellent and it made it seem like you were there too!!!! The lighting was great and very real like.

This whole enitre episode kept me on my toes!!!! I really hope this show keeps going for a long time!!!!

Overall: 8.5/10
  • All the clichés of disaster movies, nicely compiled into one TV show

4.8
    It\'s strange how so many TV shows do something that contradicts their own structure: they have the time and opportunity to develop stories slowly, to introduce characters one at a time and lay out a convincing narrative, which is not that easy in a movie. 45 Minutes a week should give the writers a lot more creative space than 90-120 minutes at all. But no, instead they do the opposite and cram everything they can think of in one episode at a time, so that there are hundreds of shows with the same contrived plot lines, stereotypical characters and annoying clichés.

Just look at the pilot of \"Jericho\" that manages to include everything we have seen before in any disaster/apocalypse movie, delivers it with tons of false sentimentalities, presented by fake characters that don\'t follow their heart and soul, but the script. The episode picks up every known idea it can find. The lonely returner who has been away from his hometown, for mysterious reasons (to be explained in future episodes, useful for surprise revelations and character development), who of course is a \"screw-up\", because then he can prove he is indeed not (which we already knew, because, hey, he\'s the hero). The blatant exposition of the townsfolk: - the rigorous mayor and his opponent (what a stretch!), full of dramatic speeches

- the various forms of assistant sheriffs (the scared one)

- the brother of the returnee (full of anger, to be released in future episodes, useful for scenes with tears)

- the lonely kid who is called \"loser\" by an annoying couple (because he\'s one of the heroes)

- the fragile store owner (who seems just as crazy as she was in \"Speed\")

- the deaf girl (she\'s deaf)

- the ex-girlfriend who now is engaged (with Roger who naturally dies before we meet him, possible surprise revelation in episode 12 where comes back after travelling on foot across the whole country just to find his fiancee kissing her ex-highschool-boyfriend)

- the black wise guy who is wise because he is black in a city of white people and is therefore able to say lines that nobody really understands but determines everyone to look at him with the greatest respect - he\'s so intelligent that it is scary, and he knows it!

- the teacher who, like all teachers, is young and attractive (love triangle for the hero is possible)

- the IRS woman who is much to exquisite to be in such a loser town (social conflicts arise, but will be solved because We Are The People)

- the crazy guy who believes in aliens (possible revelation scene as he tells everyone something important, proving that he is in fact not that crazy)

As if that bunch of people wouldn\'t be enough, there\'s a high amount of situations we\'ve know from the inside out and which don\'t become more exciting because they all happen in a row: a car crash, a bus crash, dead animals (the birds are not scary but simply ridiculous), the nuking of a country, the riots (caused by dozens of people who have no mind of their own and need a strong character to tell them things so that they can nod, turn around and go home satisfied), scared mothers, angry fathers, blackouts, last-minute-rescues (it is so fortunate that all near-deaths can be saved by a knife and a pen, we\'re so lucky that no one ever gets their heads smashed or a metal bar through their stomachs, even more fortunate that no one ever kills someone when cutting their throat) and, of course, because there isn\'t happening enough and we haven\'t got a villain yet, there is a bus of prisoners who have escaped, killers of course.

Standard songs that are used in every second TV show, cheap effects and the usual group of \"Hey, I know him/her from somewhere\"-actors including Skeet Ulrich who once was considered a soon-to-be-star, even though no one remembers what his breakthrough movie was (it wasn\'t \"Chill Factor\").

But I laughed a lot and enjoyed myself, there were some very small, very minor moments that worked and I can\'t wait to see that husband return, long-bearded, maybe missing a leg. So yes, sure I\'ll watch it again.
< 1 2 3