Jericho

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 20, 2006 on CBS

• One of the best pilots I've ever seen.

I'd heard good things, so I decided to give the series a try when I saw that the entire first season was available on the network's website. After watching the pilot episode, I'm already hooked. The premise sounded like it could make for a compelling and suspenseful series, and that's exactly what we get in episode one. This is speculative fiction at its dramatic best.

Many pilots suffer from clunky introductions of the premise and characters, or they try too hard to hook viewers. In Jericho's case, the writers let the story speak for itself, and the characters are given appropriate and un-self-conscious introductions. In addition, the plot twists and turns to keep the audience guessing, even when we have no idea what to expect from the series yet.

The emotionally gripping plot and the sympathy and interest in the plight of the characters (who I have only known for 44 minutes) will undoubtedly keep me watching this series. If this is one of the lower-rated episodes in the series, I can't wait to see what happens next.