Jericho

CBS (ended 2008)

gabfan31

Jericho Fan Reviews page 16 of 16

• I just watched the pilot episode of Jericho - It was great.

I fear that terrorists are planning dirty bombs or worse.
    I doubt they will use planes again - as they have done it.
    Terrorists look for creative ways to inflict the most harm - radiation is high on their list.
    Too many Americans have forgotten about 9-11 - remain vigilant.
    I pray this will just be a good TV show and not foreshadow things to come in our great country.
    It’s already been widely proven that former USSR nuclear materials are missing and likely available to the highest bidder.
    Also - terrorists latest goal is to attract blue eyed - blonde disillusioned whites.
    I hope that this show will encourage Americans to report suspicious activity.
    Some will say the show gives ideas to terrorists - and that’s wrong - terrorists have long planned this type attack.
    I am also frustrated that moderate, peace-loving Muslims don’t do more to confront their radical brothers.
    I have heard that some moderates are afraid of the homicidal jerks who have hijacked their great religion.
  • Denver gets nuked, but instead we are more concerned about cheesy music more fitting for a WB show!

Too feel goody for my tastes. I\\\'ll give it a couple of more episodes but I am quiet disappointed so far and have a feeling I will stay that way. In addition some of the acting and scenes came off as way too cheesy. This show looked like it had promise and that it was really something to look into that would maybe pick up where The Day After came up short. Instead I think it will go the way of Invasion, a show that also looked like it had promise only to come up short when it really counted.
  • I'll watch future episodes but if it doesn't improve, sayonara.

Yahoo provided a streaming version of the first episode free without commercials. Being a fan of post-nuke stories, I would have watched it with the ads, and will again when it debuts tomorrow night. I like Skeet Ulrich and Pam Reed as the prodigal son and his mom, but the rest of the cast barely registered, including Dabney Coleman -- eh, I mean what's-his-name, Delta Burke's husband, Gerald McRaney -- as Pam's hub and the town mayor. Coleman certainly would have added much-needed wry humor to this bound-to-be preachy drama. It's CBS, after all, a network that hasn't had decently-written dramas since the heyday of "Picket Fences". About the only touch of reality in this show is the smalltown borderline racism against the sole black guy, a know-it-all ex-cop from St Louis. The scene with Skeet reviving a dead child on a broken-down schoolbus was ridiculous, setting him up as a messianic figure for the rest of the kids; a better show -- like "Lost" -- would have let her die and that would have been one of the crosses he would have had to bear.
  • To early to tell, but it's an entertaining show so far.

I think it's way too early to tell if this is a great show. I've seen the pilot, and I got interested. I really want to see more. In Jericho we follow the people who lives in Jericho, which most likely is the only city left after an nuclear bomb in USA. Jake Green comes to the city to vicit his family to get the money that his grandfather left for him. But when he is going back again, something gets in his way, and suddenly the whole city is in darkness. I don't know if this was a good review but I can say, that this show can be very interesting to watch. Give it a chance, and see if you like it.
  • I'd rather be watching Battlestar Galactica

5.9
    This "Jericho" has gotten a lot of comparisons to "Lost," that wonderful program on ABC that taught us all that the only way to survive a plane crash is to be attractive. Personally, I feel that even the comparison is doing "Jericho" too great of a service. While "Lost" is captivating, challenging, mystifying, and a work of stunning originality, "Jericho" is exactly what everyone expects it to be, only a little sappier. The good townspeople fight over gasoline, a bus full of schoolchildren is missing, a bus load of hardened convicts has escaped, and there's a crazy old conspiracy theorist with a HAM radio living in shack somewhere. Then there's an orphaned kid, a deaf woman, and the prodigal son. Calling these ideas 'off-the-shelf' doesn't even come close; this stuff passed its sell-by date many moons ago.

A more apt comparison for "Jericho" would be "Battlestar Galactica," a fine program that is also about a small community of survivors trying to make their way after a devastating attack destroys their civilization. There the similarities end. The SciFi channel managed to create a dark world filled with damaged people who relentlessly push themselves forward to keep from thinking about the traumas they have suffered; Jericho seems like it would get along fine as long as they could keep the ice cream from melting. It almost seems as if when "Jericho" was being made they created a list of all of the cliches they didn't want to use in the show, but then some suit saw that list and said 'it is good,' and so the show came to be. Of course, all of that was right after they watched "The Day After."
  • A blatant ripoff of the movie The Day After

5.4
    Unoriginial in that the plot and setting are blantant copy of the movie The Day After. Its too bad they couldn't have at least used a different state (The Day After features the state of Kansas also after a nuclear attack). Interestingly enough, the movie came out when fears of nuclear war were quite high...and now the TV series comes out with the same fearful feelings of widespread terrorism.
  • Apocalypse misses a small US town but not by much. Reasonable character development but nothing we haven't seen before. Watchable but not earthshattering or anything new.

7.1
    OK, first the absurd. In a world much safer than at any time since about 1950, to come up with a story that has nuclear weapons rain down on the US with no build up to the event, no massively heightened alerts or otherwise outright war, is just absurd. (Oh and if you think the war on terror makes the world less safe today than say 15 years ago, you really do not understand what actually goes on around the whole world - even 911 killed only a tiny percentage of people in comparison to any war in Africa pretty much in any year for the last couple of decades and that’s without taking into account other conflicts such as Chechnya, Afghanistan – both US and before that Russia - Vietnam, communist insurgents in Asia and South America, Pol Pot, the war on the Mafia, Russian organised crime skirmishes and just to return to Africa at the end, Idi Amin). Sure, terrorists could use a nuclear weapon but it is not as easy as most movies suggest. Pinch a Russian warhead is the supposed to be the easiest but actually doing it and moving it around without being caught makes this type of thing incredibly difficult. After all it costs hundreds of millions just to attempt to blow up a few 747s with easily made chemical bombs. How much to create a nuclear war that has multiple US targets?

So if it was not terrorists then who? Iran? North Korea? Yeah right. They would be wiped off the face of the earth. Even they are not that stupid. And of course neither has the technology to deliver nuclear weapons to Denver or Atlanta.

I'm not sure this show is really a good thing. People are already worried because of the threats to aircraft.

Aside from the premise that the town is isolated because of a nuclear explosion (which has been done before in different ways, starting I guess with On the Beach with Gregory Peck), the show itself is rather predictable. You have a young man not getting on with his father and striking out on his own, frightened townsfolk who start to riot but are shamed into calm by the older wiser town elder - in this case the opponent on the incumbent mayor. Then you have a rather far fetched storyline where a school bus crashes because of startled animals but the sheriff looking for it finds instead another bus, a prison transport bus and, naturally, the prisoners have escaped and seized the guard's weapons. If you have not seen that in a storyline before then you really must not watch any seventies movies or very much TV. The coincidence of having the two buses really stretches disbelief past breaking point.

It is my guess that the escaped convicts are going to cause all sorts of problems for the good townsfolk and that really wasn't necessary. Just dealing with everyone else around them being dead from nuclear explosions should have been enough. There are enough people in the world with bad intentions even in a small town for the makers of this series to have not needed this rather pathetic addition to the plot.

So the premise is absurd and maybe not even appropriate for the current world events. The addition of the convict bus was imho, just plain stupid, managing to kill off the sheriff before the end of the first episode. Otherwise? The human interactions seem to be nothing new but then again some of the best shows have been about human interactions without much else - The Waltons popped into my head just then but I guess some would say it was cheesy but it did tell human stories very well and was watched by a lot of people. Actually the human interactions in Jericho weren't that bad and what seems to be the development of story lines about some of the characters is probably worth watching.

So, imho, the show is actually watchable but I very much disagree with the reviews that have said this is something different.
  • Maybe the classification 'Trendsetter' is a bit much... I'm hopeful the series will turn out to be(come) this good. The pilot was very promising. Lots of different storylines that could become interesting. The pilot really caught my attention. Try it!

Contains spoilers!

Jake a prodigal son of a smalltown mayor returns home for a day during his fathers preparations for a local election to claim inheritance left him by his grandfather. This inheritance is in the care of his father who will not give him his share because the son seems to be 'good for nothing' even in his own eyes. Son takes off again after visiting his grandfathers grave together with his mother. He shows some pride by refusing to accept money offered to him by his mother. When he has just left town a nuclear disaster seems to strike a nearby city and a mushroom cloud in the distance becomes visible. While watching the clouds a car from the other lane drives into Jake's car. Jake is hurt but can walk. Other car's occupants are dead.

The town is struck by a powercut, after all outside communications failed already, tv, radio and a ham radio offer no contact with the 'outside' world. A geiger counter proves there's no radiation in town... so far. A schoolbus full of children is missing and the townpeople start problems at a gas station. A tape from an answering machine proves another city, Atlanta, was also struck by a bomb. A prison bus is found by a policeman who is promptly gunned down, presumably by an escaped inmate. A man claiming to be an ex-policeman from St. Louis proves helpful while the mayor's campaign opponent seems to try to achieve political gain from the circumstances... and fails because Jake's father turns up and says all the right things.

While walking/limping along the road Jake accidentally finds the missing bus, manages to save a little girl's life and drives the bus back into town.

All this sets the stage for a drama series with much potential...
  • Jericho is a show about a the small Kansas town of \'Jericho\' that witnesses a nuclear mushroom cloud at the horizon.

Though the pilot wasn\'t extraordinary, the concept of this series promises to be very interesting.

As written above, an atomic bomb goes off near the sleepy town of Jericho, Kansas. Communications black out and the town is for themselves, not knowing what has actually happend in the outside world. Was it an accident or an attack?

The characters seem interesting. There\'s your typical family drama with the \'looser\' son just returning, a lot of ordinary town folks and some people who just happen to be there by accident at the time of the explosion.
    As a pilot it communicated the future concept of the series very well but if you expect much action, this show is probably not for you. It is a drama and about character development. As that, we need to see how the story develops in the series. Can\'t wait to see more of it.
  • it is a story of how a small humdrum town of Jericho,Kansas is going to survive a violent siege of terrorist attack amidst the turmoils of their personal lives.

i just finished watching the pilot of Jericho, and i must admit that this is an amazing show. It is one of the most original shows of fall season. I know that it is not being shown yet on mainstream tv,but i was intrigued and i dl\\\'d it online, i must admit that my doing so is not a waste of time..i am truly happy about the storyline, and the cast and characters depicted the scenes very well, and in doing so, they were able to take me to the exact same place where they were...

I wish that they would go ahead and fast track the showing of this series, instead of waiting till the end of September as planned. I know that there are already a large group of people waiting for this series to start just so they could find out what happened the day after....
  • I just finish to watch the pilot and at first sight its a mix of "Red Dawn" and "The quiet Earth" but whit an entire village

A decent tv show....whit an American way of television : couple of strong Alpha male and couple of cute girls/women ....classic but good/fair tv .....i cannot tell yet if i'm gonna watch it week after week or just downloaded it and watch it at the end of the season ....but I'm sur to watch episode 02 ....just to see the day after the "incident" .....
    it is my first post and English is not my first language (i'm from Quebec City , so i speak french ) so please forgive me for all the mistakes of language .....lolll !!! the bad thing whit this show : i'm gonna wait until September to watch an other episode !!!!
  • Jericho is a small Kansas town about to experience something big!

As a nuclear cloud looms in the distance, the residents of a quiet, unassuming Kansas town are left isolated and alone. Communication and contact with the rest of humanity has been severed and we will witness the best and the worst that the remaining survivors have to offer. This case study in human survival has no million dollar prize, immunity challenges or tribal council.

Though the show has yet to air on CBS, the promotional video found at www.cbs.com looks intriguing and ominous. The cinematic quality is reminiscent of the highly-acclaimed, Miracles drama,which also starred Skeet Ulrich (Jericho's reluctant hero).

With an ensemble cast which includes, Gerald McRaney as the mayor and the brilliant Pamela Reed as his wife, this show is bound to develop a strong following. With the success of serial dramas, such as Lost and 24, Jericho can attract a core audience that appreciates a more cerebral form of entertainment -- shows that explore the intricacies of human relationships.