Jericho

Walls of Jericho

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 11, 2006 on CBS

• It's the end of the world, but we can still party...

I made the mistake of watching Jericho after Lost. Bad idea. Jericho is a nice warm-up for Lost but viewed right after it, it pales by comparison.

It probably doesn't help that this week's episode of Jericho was the weakest we've seen so far.

And it had the potential to be so good. It's four days after the bombs fell and the town is starting to deal with some harsh realities--such as when some supplies of things run out, that's it. For example, gasoline. The gas is needed to power the generator for the hospital and Eric promises some to keep the bar running as well. Our heroes scramble around town trying to find gas and get it where it needs to go. I do have to wonder why the mayor and the town government hasn't stepped up with some rationing of some type. I mean, does it make sense that people are out driving around town like nothing has happened? Yes, it's only been four days but it seems to me that the town leadership might step up and do some rationing. Because as we saw with the teens and the party, not everyone has the best interests of the whole at heart.

The one good thing I can say about that plot this week--at least Skeet didn't come up with the plan. Oh sure, he was there running the plan but at least it wasn't his.

Meanwhile, a stranger comes into town who is apparently part of the conspiracy of....well, whatever it is. I'm not quite sure what Hawkins and his group did or what role they play but we're getting little tiny clues each week. It almost feels like they're some kind of cell sent in to infilitrate the towns. For what purpose, we're not quite sure. And how much you want to bet that little flash drive Hawkins had comes into play as something huge and big by season's end? Call me crazy but I was having images of Jack Bauer chasing across L.A. to get a flashdrive as I saw that.

Meanwhile, Eric and his wife are having problems because he's more interested in being down at the bar, having a drink and checking out his mistress than being at home with her. Or being a leader in the town. At some point, someone in this town is going to have step up and establish some authority or else it could really ugly, really fast. Last week we saw the Mayor slug his opponent for trying to use the situation for his own political gain, but honestly we don't see the Mayor acting like the leader he was in the first episode. Maybe that's part of the plan of the show...or maybe it's just lazy writing. I am hoping for the fomer, but with this show it's really hard to be sure.