Jericho

Why We Fight

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 09, 2007 on CBS

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• OMG and amazing episode that gives you both answers and ofcourse more questions. but undoubtably one of the best episodes of the season.

This is an amazing episode that shows how truly brilliant Jericho can be, a well written and coherent episode that shows us the true nature of the human condition that can go either way. And what a scary thought that is and how bad a town like red burn can get with a disaster like the nuclear bomb, and it puts into perspective the good fortune that Jericho as a town has been given. This episode shows us the true Jake and the brilliance and true genius of his character, Jake steps up as a true and just leader that we know him to be capable of. But in these series times the show does not lose the humour and innocence that made this show so great to watch, with the scene and Stanley’s parent’s graves, and his honesty at wanting to not die and marry Mimi. And even while all the seriousness is still going on the shoe still has time to show us an insight into the characters and why they do things. But as we gain back Heather who we thought was dead, we lose another in her stead which was a hard lose for the show and the audience. And in this episode the conspiracy goes deeper as we learn that the American Flag now has only 21 stars on it rather than the 51 representing all the states, and a key player in the terrorist action is now in a high position of power- we can only wait until the next season for more answers and what is now common place on this show more questions.
  • I was almost sure since the first 10 minutes that something like this would have happened. They should have not killed the most beloved character in this show. This episode was on the verge of destroying it for me.

4.5

It was poorly executed -- they could have at least let him die with a little more dignity than a random lousy shot hitting him as he was walking with the tank.... We didn't even get to see it happen.

I foresaw something like this happening early in the episode and was forced to dreaded it for the entire show because I knew he was going to die, but in no way shape or form had I expected such a lame death as this. It was crap. I expected him to take lead of Jericho once again and bring his strength and wisdom with him. Now its all gone and what a massive waste it is..... I don't know if I'll be able to watch another episode the same way without his strength and wisdom present in each and every episode.

This just downgraded this show for me... It's ridiculous..
  • What happened?

Sadly, this was supposed to be the season finale yet half of it was flashback sequences used for character reflections. It's as if the writers had run out of ideas for where they planned on going with the series at this point. All too often, shows that do flashbacks use literal inserted sequences from past episodes, and that being done as a money-saving trick, so they gain a point for not doing that. However the installment left the audience with a somewhat minor and predictable cliff-hanger. Yet because of the serial nature of the show, such a cliff-hanger has occurred after every episode prior, so there wasn't anything to really distinguish this from the previous episodes. Perhaps had the Secretary of DHS himself stepped out of a truck or something, that might have been interesting to leave one hanging, but going to a blank screen when the shooting began, was well... yawn.

I think that many viewers like myself stuck with this because given its subject and previous treatments that either stopped at TV movie or miniseries lengths, it was curiosity that made me hang in there to see where it would go. However the creators and writers didn't really seem to have a game plan for it. There were some good ideas and concepts, but IMHO, in order to do serials nowadays, it seems that one needs to literally write a full blown epic novel, with beginning, middle, and end, and then execute that on the screen, suitably dividing the novel chapters into episodes. Otherwise it ain't gonna work. Basically, the writers were thinking in "episodic" mode rather than "serial" mode, and thus the increasingly disjointed flow of the episodes, with a myriad of subplots supposedly for character development that didn't quite make sense.

I feel greatly for Lennie James, who essentially carried the entire show, and by "carry", I mean he not only acted without the need for much dialog to get the character's point across, but the dialog that he did have was done without his natural British accent (yes he is very much a Brit and I have seen him in other things, and it boggles the mind to see him consistently perform in this show without the accent).

In any case, should CBS bother (which is becoming more and more doubtful), the writing room seriously needs to be revamped. The concept and challenge (and "challenge" is the key) requires a much higher level of thought process to carry this off.
  • *Spoilers* Sorry, but the death for dramatic effect was incredibly poorly executed and seriously deterred the enjoyment of the rest of the episode for me. Completely dissapointed in this episode.

Again... *SPOILERS!*

I have to say Jericho has had it's ups and downs for me this season. And truthfully, this episode wasn't bad. Even the "corny" flashbacks were fine. But the idiotic death of Johnston Green had no place but just to attempt to create a dramatic moment that falls flat on it's face. The man was an Army Ranger! He would've known never to go to battle without using the tank for cover, and he was the only person killed on Jericho's side!!! COME ON!!! They have other members of the town, throughout the season, survive incredible odds, wounds, tortures and situations just to have the man go out like that! His death was just downright embarrasing. I can just imagine the meeting... what can we do to throw the town more into chaos... I know, let's kill of the only grounded believable character in the show!!! That will add drama!!! High-fives all around!!

Sorry... This extremely beyond baffling move has had me lose a bit of interest in the show... Thank God for Hawkins!!! The man deserves a pre-quel or something. It seems to me he's the only reason left I have for watching the show.

Definetely Jumped the Shark!
  • I watched the latest episode last night and I will say unashamed that I bawled my eyes out. I can't wait until the next episode...

This is THE BEST show to come on to television.EVER!Its hard to believe a good show can come out of all this crap that's airing today cough reality television cough but this show has done it.I sure hope the writers plan on keeping this show on. Compare to many shows on tv...this is one of the only ones worth watching. (My opinion of course) I think the show is exciting...and yes a cliff hanger...but arn't most great show like that?? I think it is great to keep you in suspense. If they were to spill all the info in the first season...then there would be no reason to have anymore seasons. This world we live in is way to pushy and instant...everyone wants everything now. Come on..relax...ENJOY the show....It is a great show....I am sure the writers know what they are doing.
  • Between and Rock and a Hard place, still, life continues for the town of Jericho..

This is one great show. Now that season 1 is ended, on a very nice cliffhanger, with the military about to stop a skirmish, and who knows who else is gonna get either hurt or killed off the show!

Johnston death was a surprise to me, but then again, it wasn't. He's gonna be missed as a character, but in a way, his death will force others to kinda "grow-up" so to speak.

Things will be different for sure.

Like I keep saying, I don't rate episodes, rather, I rate the show as a whole.

This show is certainly a keeper. A fictional account of this town and how the U.S. survived nukes. I like how the last nuke is now, perhaps the smoking gun which can be used to prove that the nuking was an inside job.

I love the threads that keep spanning from the show. So we now wait for Season 2 with anticipation and glee! "tee hee!" :P
  • Killing off the most believable character was a mistake.

I am really loathe to write this, but equally and more so compelled -- I just dislike the fact that so many will disagree with this, my first submission.

Killing the character Johnston Greene was unconscionable. I am still rattled with disbelief and disappointment. If I and those others who consider themselves a fan of this show can take a step back and just consider the following:

This show has perhaps THE most abysmal acting of any I follow. The earliest episodes were especially clumsy with predictable dialogue delivered poorly and leaving it hard believe.

Perhaps this quote from screenwriter/producer Ronald D. Moore would "moore" articulately illustrates what I am trying to say (even though he is speaking about a different show):

"I think the audience intuitively knows when something is true and something is not true. Voyager is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spic-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bull****ing the audience I think takes its toll. At some point the audience stops taking it seriously, because they know that this is not really the way this would happen. These people wouldn’t act like this."

I admit, Jericho is grittier and more believable than Voyager or any other Star Trek franchise, by a long shot. There are, however, similarities, most of which come from the Robert Hawkins character in the form of satellites, an entire truck bed of fully automatic weapons, etc. Too much dues ex machina. The very thing that drew me originally to the show was that it was gritty, I was hoping to never have that feeling of the writers bull****ing me. Unfortunately, it feels contrived and unbelievable.

I won't even mention the ridiculous battle where EVERYONE has guns but no one can seem to shoot them with any sort of accuracy, a personal pet peeve. Wait a sec . . . I think I just did mention it, oh well. Skeet Ulrich running from tree to tree? I'm not military, my family isn't military, I don't collect guns but even I can see clearly that a tree provides very little cover vs even one gunman, much less an army SPREAD OUT over a field all of whom are taking aim at him from DIFFERENT places. The bullets following his feet as he ran in full sight from one magic tree to the next was an especially nice touch.

All of that said, the only two characters on this show who I've never had to suspend belief at their actions or overlook their dialogue are Reed's Gail Green and McRaney's Johnston Greene. Maybe I am just angry because they just killed off my favorite character, but it really is more than that. McRaney's acting was so believable at every instant that it inspired me to look the other way when the show otherwise sputtered. In fact, I can't really think of another character I actually like. Eric is particularly annoying, Skeet Ulrich's character is completely unbelievable, equally is Lennie James' Hawkins, although his acting is fantastic--I completely fault the script regarding his character. Gray Anderson is portrayed as such a bumbling jack ass that the acting talent of Michael Gaston is similarly wasted completely by poor writing. How about the kids at Gracie Leighs? As laughable as the IRS witch and her farmhand boyfriend. Johnston Greene was written to be a man, and Gerald McRaney pulls . . . err, pulled it off perfectly, just as he did as the duplicitous George Hurst on HBO's Deadwood (now regrettably canceled). Now THAT was damn good show. I am so very disappointed that with such great potential and premise, Jericho just doesn't really get it done. I truly wanted to love it, all they had to do was halfway deliver . . . and in all truth and fairness, I suppose they have--I don't deny that Jericho does have it's merits, but it's still only half of what an excellent show should be.

Should CBS renew it and will I continue to watch? Of course I will, but more and more I feel Jericho is a guilty pleasure rather than a show I'd eagerly follow with friends.
  • Good but not the best

It was a great ending to the first season of Jericho. It resumed at where it left off last week and had some decent action .Though the set pieces seemed borrowed from so many war thrillers Hollywood has produced.Anyway there were some extremely well shot emotional scenes. The writers have set it up pretty well for the second season and i am really looking forward to it .

Some time back I had read that CBS had ordered the second season of Jericho but turns out that isn't the case.Jericho is among the better shows out there and though it may not be in the top league yet it has the potential to be a great hit.I would only hope that the producers at CBS realize Jericho's potential and order it for at least couple more seasons.
  • An exciting and thrilling end to bring this brilliant series to it’s season 1 finale.... ( Contains Spoilers )

It’s on a sad note we say farewell to Jake, Eric, Stanley, Hawkins, Emily, Mimi, Dale, Grey, Gail and all for this season, it’s also on an even sadder note to say farewell to Johnston Green, I knew one of the major characters would be killed off and wished it hadn’t been Johnston, his presence and commitment to the town of Jericho was so intense and now it’s up to Jake to pick up the torch that his father gave him and lead the town to victory over New Bern and rid the dictator and killer of his father Constantino.

This episode went really as predicted with a few skirmishes between the two towns ( glad they used the tank ), a flash back to happier times, a death, another edge of seat suspense moment between Hawkins and his nemesis Valente and the new home guard on there way to help the fighting and track down Hawkins.

I cannot wait for season 2 and let’s hope CBS see sense on returning Jericho for a second season.
  • NUTS !! I cant believe Season 1 is over! CBS is NUTS if it doesnt give Jericho a Season 2....

This was one of the best episodes of the season, if not the best. It had everything: Action, Emotion, Revelations about the larger world, suspense, a farewell to a beloved character and the return of another missing since Episode 13.

There may be particular segments Im not big on, I realize the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. And thats what makes Jericho a superb show. We find out the country is still divided and the Western areas are headed by a new President under a new flag. And part of this administration is the malevolent Thomas Valente - probable head of the bomb plot. It was great seeing Hawkins and his wife working together instead of butting heads as well as Hawkins risking everything to use the spy satellite to help the people of his new home town. With the loss of the towns most beloved ex Mayor, father and leader we saw how people deal with the pain of loss of war. Even the stony hearted Constantino, for a moment, seemed to feel bad about what he had done. Then, as the battle with New Bern came to a head, Heather comes to the rescue with forces loyal to one of the new Presidents. But these forces have ulterior motives on orders of Jerichos Dr. Evil - Thomas Valente: Get Hawkins!

Military helicopters fly overhead just as Hawkins gets ready to use the tank to stop the New Bern troop train. While the forces of Jericho, rallied by the stirring words of the grieving Jake Green, open fire against the forces of New Bern. Great way to end Season 1 and begin Season 2 as the outcome of the battle is revealed and the larger world comes crashing in. Hopefully a way will be found to use Johnston Green in the future (flashbacks or symbolic of Jakes conscience when he asks himself "What would Dad do?").

Jericho is one of the best thought provoking series in years - it really makes you think about what you would do if such a scenario unfolded. What would you do? How prepared are you - both physically and mentally? How would you survive? Would you even want to? Alot of people thought hijacked passenger planes being used as missiles to destroy 100 story buildings and thousands of lives was the stuff of Hollywood fantasy before September 11, 2001. Hopefully life will never imitate art, but you never know....
  • CBS better not cancel this show!

If CBS cancels this show, it will be bad on their part as this is really edge of your seat as well as mixing in reality with "entertainment!" Really a good show with good acting and good writing. Hopefully CBS doesn't cancel it. Sure the residents survived the attack. But that is just the least of their problems. The very least of it!!
  • I loved the show, love the flashbacks and i stayed on the edge of my seat when the fighting started.

Jericho has been a great show to watch this past season. I have jumped to many conclusions only to have my theories proved wrong. Im shocked that they ended season 1 with the gun fire. I still have questions about hawkins and his "real" objectives. I was shocked when I seen the soldiers wearing the "new" flag of the united states on their uniforms. I also have some theories about the man from the Department of Homeland Security. I have some questions if anyone could answer them, it would help.
    1) Who is the president of the united states? 2) Was that a grenade that was shot in front of the car that the citizens of Jericho were protecting?
    3) Who will the army shoot, the citizens of Jericho or the citizens of New Bern?
    4) Where did Constantino get those trucks and soldiers from?
    if anyone has those answer, please tell me....
  • Eager for season 2! There aren't many shows I care about but this one is a refreshing change... just enough fiction mixed with reality.

Very nice! The only real suggestion is that this could have been a 2 hour finale! Twice as tasty! This would have allowed for a bit more expansion... for example - not enough on the final scenes with Johnston, his wife, and sons... maybe more tribute from the whole town? Perhaps that will come in the first show of season 2? The flag thing was a bit confusing and indicated that the government has written off several states. Unless that means that foriegn powers are ruling parts of North America it makes NO sense... but what a teaser.
  • OMG. Excellent first season. Definetly needs a second season!!

OMG this episode was the saddest eppy of Jericho. I would have never thought that Johnston would die! OMG I was balling my eyes out! Johnston was an amazing person and I miss him soo much! haha im soo emotional. I really hope there is a second season to that show! The way it ended made it seem like it wasn't the season finale. It just seemed like a regular eppy. I really hope it comes back on in September!! I felt sooo bad for Gail when she was with Johnston. She is my favourite character on Jericho! I loved this show.At first I wasn't sure about how it would be but it was awesome! I really really hope there is a season 3!!!!!
  • Essentially a continuation of the previous episode. Words have stopped talking and weapons have started. People are dying, and for what? Salt, a few farms and angry words. This is reality.

Overall, this show has been a very fine performer for CBS. The writing early on was quite spotty though, and hopefully we won't see repeats of shows like AKA, The Day Before or Vox Populii. It needs to be constantly gritty, grimy and realistic (but would people tune in to watch something that is this depressing?), and has to ditch soap opera sensibilities. They appear to have done this in the second half of the season. The producers and writers displayed a large amount of courage in killing off major characters, but this is only half the battle. They have to show the health problems that would occur, and yes they have to deal with the incredible disappearing radiation. Flashbacks should be written out of the show (nothing other than an excuse for sloppy writing), and some plot holes should be closed up (the missiles that were launched early in the season....just where were they targetted, and how does Hawkins still have access to a fully functional live video feed satellite?). Finally, we need to be shown what happened to the outside world; has it too descended into war?

Jericho has been an amazing show, very entertaining and thought provoking, but it is not without it's problems. Tom
  • Engaging, Shocking, Sad, human emotion at its highist realism

Here's to you Constantino.
    NUTS.

Hopefully the 2nd season is worth the wait. And hopefully it isn't one of those 6 month later things either. This episode felt more of a lead in to a finale than the finale itself. Sadly, this is all we're going to see of Jericho this year. There's something weird about "That Army Camp"...notice the quotations. It seemed like Hawkins was the terrorist again after watching the army general talk to those guys on the 4 TV monitors, but in reality it looks like Hawkins is still the good guy, and the real terrorists are now in control of the U.S. government and coming after him. Oh boy...hopefully next season Jake gets revenge, and America returns to normal. For now, it's worse than I had thought. And I wasn't expecting Johnston to bite it. I was hoping Gray would get it. Really sad emotional tension, which is going to make for an even better second season come this fall.

This surely will go down as Jericho's best episode ever, and if not, certainly one of them. All I can say is I'm glad they didn't go with a plotline involving dentonating a nuke on newburn, which had been rumored.

On another note, CBS doesn't even give us a preview of what might happen next season. Come on, FOX does it with 24. Why not Jericho?
  • If ever there was a series deserving of a second season it's Jericho.

This episode, the conclusion of the first season, is a true cliffhanger in every respect. Johnston dies and Jake has to step up to lead in his fathers place. Hawkins aids by providing valuable intelligence in the first real engagement between New Bern and Jericho, but at the price of being located by the nefarious forces tracking him. Now the new federal government is sending the army to capture him. Heather is alive and now headed back to Jericho. The final battle is commencing with the citizens of Jericho greatly outnumbered and out gunned and Hawkins about to use the tank to derail the train coming in on their flank from New Bern. In the final scenes the military helicopters arrive, but who knows how they will choose to "put down the problem" between the opposing sides. All of this leave me on the end of my couch waiting for season two. On a sad note, it will be a great loss for the show not to have the superb acting skills of Gerald McRaney and the strength of his character Johnston Green, for season two. This is one show which proves a proper balance of character and storyline produces a great piece of entertainment.
  • One ends up alive....another dies.

I really enjoyed this episode, except, of course the fact of Johnston dying. I really was enjoying his characters toughness lately, and the town did need a leader, but I guess that is Jake's job now. But do they now have to fight the military? If they are the military. I certainly hope Hawkins hides for a while, I wouldn't want anything to happen to him, I didn't like him at first, but now he's one of my favourites. I'm glad Heather is alive, I do like her character too. I was suspicious because there was no death scene or body being found. It's too bad the towns have come down to shooting each other and sacaficing everything they have ever loved. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the wedding scenes, I don't think they were needed in this episode.
  • Review

I say this is the series finale as there is no word on the fate of Jericho & after tonights episode it would really suck for it to end like that.

Other than that. This episode rocked. There wasn't an episode this entire series that I didn't like. They were all good in its own way & hope that the show will continue on for many years. The death of Johnston Greene. I figured of all the main characters he would have been the one to go. But as the episode went on, I actually thought of his wife, but I was right the first time. It was heartbreaking to say the least. Men can cry to. I cry all the time & did at their father's death.

Gerald McRaney is a good actor & will be missed on the show.
  • It's New Bern vs. Jericho. It's the return of the United States? It's the return of heroine. It's the loss of a hero. It's a real tear jerker.

Spoilers!!!

I've been waiting to be impressed and today's episode did it. Jericho and New Bern come to blows. A hero is lost when Johnston is killed (gasp!). A heroine returns when we find Heather alive and recuperating in a camp of the NEW United States army. Alot happened and the season premiere should prove just as entertaining as we should see the skirmish end with U.S. military assistance, the family grieve, and the "terrorist" hide from the enemies at the top. Onto my musings...
    The fight between Jericho and New Bern is a fight of need and desperation. Constantino said it well when he told Jake his men would not give up. They can't. They are desperate to survive. But so is Jericho. Once again, when Johnston said it was time to make a stand, I found myself reminded of Stephen King's The Stand.
    I also got a little weepy when Johnston died. This is why I always look at spoilers. I don't like to be sandbagged with the death of a main character. But, with this show, I'm never desperate to find out what is going to happen. Well, because of that, I didn't see it coming at all. I love Gerald McRaney (remember Major Dad). At least they resolved his father/son issues. Too bad he didn't get one last scene with his wife. In his death scene, I was reminded of what his wife said before he went to get his sons. She said she couldn't bear to lose him. Mitchell and Ulrich also did a pretty good job conveying their grief. Ok...that's it. Good episode. Heart-wrenching but full of courage and fight!
    I end with this..."Nuts!"
    I honestly didn't see the point of that whole wedding interlude until the "Nuts" story connection and the last exchange between him and his father at the wedding. Beautifully interwoven. Okay...now I'm really done!
  • Heather's alive! Yeah! Unfortunately she becomes an unwilling pawn in a deadly game. There's much more to this episode than just a city/state skirmish. I could have said Season Finally but it was more than that!

I call it city/state because it reminds me of ancient Greece. They're city/states didn't get along but could still combine for a bigger threat. Theorectically, if cooler heads prevailed, they'd team up and go find stuff outside, but that's neither here nor there.

Johnston fell, just as I predicted. It really didn't surprise me, he has to die so the series can live. It has to be on Jake, and his brother, and the mayor, and Hawkins to fix this. Nice use of the tank!

Hawkins, with his wife have another great revelation. Why would they track him? Unless they wanted something. The "rebel" a person to put up in the blame for all that happened. And the real perp is pulling the strings.

Heather's alive! But in her attempt to try to help, along with the trace, they've been lead to the last nuke in the country. Speaking of which, how many stars were on that flag? Less than 50!

Finally, the last scene. The call of "nuts" by Jake - as they had juxtaposed the wedding with the war - the helos as Hawkins contemplates taking out the train, the smoke followed by Jakes order to "fire!" all leaves you wanting to see the season openner!

Overall, excellent first season, I hope they keep it up!
  • This finale had a little bit of everything, but left us wanting much more.

So many questions, so much emotion, and a cliffhanger with a capital C. The flashbacks to Eric and April's wedding were a nice touch, but I would have preferred them in an earlier episode and not the season finale. Johnston's death was extremely emotional, but I was glad he had a chance to tell his boys how proud he was of them and how much he loved them. I just wish his wife had gotten there in time. I really like the way Jake and Hawkins have teamed up--Hawkins is the kind of guy you want on your side. I really wanted to see Hawkins derail the train using the tank. The scene with Stanley, Mimi, and Bonnie at his parent's grave was great comic relief. While the show had its dark moments, the finale actually offered blue skies and sunshine. For the future of Jericho, I look forward to Jake's punishment of Constantino for his father's death. I agree that there is something a little off about the "Army", and the new flag makes no sense to me. The Fall promises some much-anticipated answers such as what will happen to New Bern and Constantino when the Army enters the fray? How will Hawkins expose the director of Homeland Security as the real terrorist? On another topic, will CBS be showing reruns this summer?
  • Jericho is thrust into war, and not everyone will survive.

I thought this was a fantastic episode, and I really hope the show gets renewed for next year. I disagree with those who thought that the flashbacks were useless and unnecessary. Now, it was predictable that the "nuts" story would come into play by the end of the episode, but I liked seeing more of how the family was before Jake left Jericho, and we also finally got to meet Jake's grandfather, who we already knew was very well-loved by Jake. He was seen as a slacker, and trouble-maker, but it was also clear that everyone knew he had the potential to be great. So the juxtaposition of the flashbacks to the current troubles were very effective in showing Jake's development as a person.

Glad to see that Heather is still alive. I noticed she was billed as a "special guest star", so I'm hoping she'll still be around next season. One thing I thought was very good about this season in general was that they revealed a lot about the mystery of the bombs, but have still left a lot of questions unresolved for next season. I don't think this show jumped the shark at all yet, and look forward to what happens next. Some reviewers have mentioned that we don't see enough of the people in the town dealing with illness, or other troubles related to the nuclear bombs, but I think the producers did a good job of balancing out the domestic issues (for example, Dale and the store), illness (April, Johnston), famine (the refugees), and growing mistrust and dissent in desperate times.
  • The town of Jerico is getting ready for the biggest fight thus so far against their neighboring town New Bern.Jake and Emily are getting closer,as the show goes to a scene where Heather is found "alive".Johnston is killed during the 1st round of fighting.

This was a great episode I was happy with the flashbacks it helped to know this family before the bombs went off.The death of Jake and Eric's father was done very well thier emotions looked extremely real.(great actors pulled off a difficult scene)The flashbacks also brought into the show the boys grandfather and how much like him Jake really is and how much like his father Eric is. Was so happy to see that Heather is still alive that will put a damper into Jake and Emily's rekindling of a old relationship.The writers of this show should give thierselves a pat on the back great show. Can't wait till next season,also looking forward to reruns to catch any details I might have missed the 1st time around.
  • Perfect in some points but could have been better!

Hey, I will still give it a perfect score for alot of the action but they could have chanegd about 25 minutes of crap into action. The flashbacks were stupid and din't reveal anything so were pointless, especially in the season final! Then there was about 10 minutes all up of soft talk before the big event... I thought that this episode was the big even but obviously we have to wait for 6 months or possible it will never be made (please be a Season 2!) Its a real shame Johnston died, why couldn't the woosy major die?!? The new storyline of the army coming in is brilliant and I can't wait to see what happens next year. Possible one of the best cliff hangers I have ever seen. I really expected that we would see the big fight and the winner in this episode but O well. Instead we saw death, some action and flashbacks.
  • A great cliff-hanger of an ending to an excellent show.

I don't know what to say about this episode, really, that could describe exactly how much this show has impressed me and gotten better and better each week. The flashbacks I could almost say were unnecessary but I've come to love the characters so much that I enjoyed them. My only fear is they, for some reason, CBS will cancel the show. I have come to have little faith in network TV when it comes to keeping something based solely on it being great. Ratings, ratings, ratings. In any case, I will be waiting, hopefully and expectantly for season 2.
  • Could have been better

I had high expectations for the season finale and I wasn't satisfied with that episode. Too much retrospection and it wasn't really connected with the things happening in the moment.
    A favorite main character dies. I understand that without his appearance, the second season will be a little bit interesting because Jericho will suffer because of his absence. Jericho loses a resident but another is coming back.
    More explanation about the flag and the US situation could have been great, hope that it'll be explained better in the second season.
    I expected to see Roger to the end of the season but that did not happen. Jake sent him in New Bern but he didn't come back with the other Jericho men. Maybe we will see him in the second season - who knows?!
    Too much drama - not enough action. However, that will not stop me from watching the second season of Jericho.
    I hope that CBS will make the right choice and will air it.
  • Great episode, but could have done without the flashbacks!

You know we deal with enough flashbacks from Lost to count for every show on tv! And why start with the flashbacks on a season finale? But whatever, as far as the episode in general it was great. Was not really expecting a finale cliffhanger like that! I mean come on...."Fire!" than credits, so irritating. But man when that M1A1 tank rolled over the hill and the opposing side took off that was classic man. The new American flag was a good touch to give you a sense on how much the country changed. Crazy. I heard its official about a Season 2. YAY!
  • Well done close out to the first season, with two minor quibbles.

Overall, I thought the Jericho season finale was an excellent episode. I love the framing story of April and Eric's wedding and the family dynamics it introduced, and the parallels to the grim present. I loved the reference to General McAuliffe and the Battle of the Bulge and his famous reply of "Nuts" to the surrender request. My only two quibbles with this episode were, first, the handling of Johnston Gray's death. True he was a very important character and his death was an emotional moment, but in dwellling on that situation the pacing of the episode lagged just a bit. Those people needed to get on with the fighting. Also, I didn't really like the "A-Team" level of violence. I realize this probably had to do with the 8Pm time slot, but still, all those bullets fired and only two really confirmed kills, Johnston and the 2.5 gunner, especially with those New Bern folks basically out in the open. Personally I really, really wanted to see more of those New Bern bastards die, after they turn on their neighbors like that! Other than that, a superb ending to a great first season. Go Jericho. "Nuts" to the nay-sayers.
  • NUTS!

I can not believe that was the seasons finale. Now i can not wait till Jericho comes back on. I want to know why they left us hanging like that. The way they ended it I was hoping to see a little of the fighting before they ending it but just first shots. I am still in shock that they killed off mayor Green. I was a little confused on what the army is going to do when they get to Jericho. I know that I was really happy to see Heather alive an also to see Jake and Emily kiss. I really liked the flashbacks to Eric wedding night.
1 2 >