Jericho

Why We Fight

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 09, 2007 on CBS

• This was the best episode of the first season

I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy that this is renewed for another 7 episodes. I have absolutely no doubt with the tremendous fan support that this will go for several more years. This episode introduced the Government officials who set off the Nukes as now coming to find the last bomb.

In the process, they will support Jericho, but this opens a whole new avenue of how Jericho will interact with the Government which will be fascinating. It may be a way for surrounding towns to bond back together against the Govt.

There is also the leadership issues with conflicts among many key characters. Superb cliff-hanger episode.

I love this show.
  • Great way to end the season

I liked this one very much. How the two towns went to war, it all started to build up after the second half of the season picked back up. Sad part was when johnston died and I fell Jake will slowly take over and run jericho. Gray Anderson doesnt do much. I fell Jake may become jericho's leader from the peoples voice. no vote, no election, the people want him to become mayor and that will but a huge key between jake, johnston, Erik as well as a few other important characters. what ever happens season 2 will be great. Hope its soon.
  • One of the best episodes of the series.

Of all the episodes of "Jericho" that I have watched, I'd have to rank "Why We Fight" as one of my favorites, mainly because of how the previous episodes lead the way to the conclusion of a good season.

Some of the things that I really enjoyed about the episode were how Jack and some of the other members of his family were remembering a happier time in their lives when they were flashing back to Eric's wedding to April while preparing to fight their war with New Bern. It was during one of their flashbacks that I also enjoyed hearing the peanut story Jake's grandfather told Stanley before the wedding started when they were sitting in the bar.

One scene that I thought was priceless was when Stanley and Bonnie brought Mimi to visit their parents' graves. While it was kind of somber the way he was telling them that it might be a while before they come back to visit their graves, I thought Stanley's description of Mimi when he introduced her to them to be priceless. It was also pretty comical the way Stanley reacted when Mimi told their parents that Stanley and Bonnie have been so kind by letting her live with them after all the bombs went off in the major cities.

After the war started, I thought it was pretty comical the way Johnston reacted to finding out about Hawkins' satellite computer by saying he was about to bomb the town that had the closest Costco. It was also neat the way Hawkins was willing to help Jericho after being found by the bad guys. I was also glad that the citizens of Jericho finally brought out their tank and used it against New Bern.

With that said, there were also a few parts that I didn't like: such as Johnston dying and the way New Bern was bringing in so many reinforcements that Jericho was more outnumbered than before. Another part that I didn't like was when Constantino told Jake that Jericho should give up the next wave of attacks while expressing his condolences about what happened to Johnston. Some of the only highlights of these parts was the way Emily comforted Jake and his response of "Nuts" to Constantino was absolutely priceless.

Despite Johnston's death in this episode and the cliffhanger ending, "Why We Fight" is one of my favorite episodes of the show.
  • I watched the entire season in 1 week. I'm addicted!

The show premiered in Israel last Sunday. I watched the first episode and decided to download all season online. In 10 days I watched 22 BRILLIANT episodes. This episode sums up a great season. It's exciting, it's touching, it's edge-of-your-seat episode. I was shocked when the bold guy (whats his name from holmeland security) showed up and told the army to get the "terrorist" from Jericho. I cried when Johnston died holding his sons hands, and I was freaking screaming when the shooting started at the last minute. I had no idea the show was canceled and then renewed. I just got updated and THANK YOU to the fans who helped the show come back. I can not wait for the last 7 episodes - hopefully maybe they'll decide to finish a full season. One of the best shows in recent years.
  • This is the most frightening show ever...

Some days ago, German television started this new show and even though I had enough to do, I started watching it. I was doing laundry at the same time and never thought this was gonna turn out into another one of my really serious addictions. It hasn't even been a week and I have already finished this brilliant show. I absolutely love it, but for the first time I'm not sure if that's the right thing to say. It's so realistic and frightening, it really makes you wonder what your neighbours might be capable of in such a situation. I watched these last couple of episodes today and I'm not sure that I can sleep tight now. The whole scenario is so scary! I gotta admit though that the whole terrorist attack scenario is way too patriotic for my taste. But in my eyes what's more important about this show is how people cope. It doesn't matter that this is America (sorry, guys), this could be anywhere in the world. Actually, it IS happening everywhere in this world. We're living in the commodity of our homes, eating until we're too big to move, watching television and going out having fun. There are people starving to death, rational people who you might think are smarter than this are fighting each other, killing their very neighbour. I really don't mean to get to philosophical here, but that's what this show is in my eyes: a portray of the best and the worst sides of humanity.
    I really can't wait for those seven (or more) episodes of season 2 and I can only hope they'll come back soon, I'm dying not knowing how that story is ending...
  • Awesome!! Awesome!!! I absolutely love this show.

Awesome!! Awesome!!! I absolutely love this show. I hope it stays around for a long long time. This is the reason why I watch. I love this show, this is my all time favorite show this year. I haven't missed an episode yet and I don't plan on it either.
  • This is why I watch this show!

With all the buzz that has been about one charachter getting the ax in this episode I was almost at the point I didn't want to watch it! I love all the charachters, even Mayor Gray for some odd reason, and did not want to see anyone go.
    As it turned out it was former Mayor Green and that was very unexpected. I loved this character and he was both well played and very sympathetic.
    As it came clear that New Bern was ready to wage war on Jericho I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the invasion to come. Meanwhile seeing Heather alive and in the military camp was disturbing since there seem to be something very odd about this camp.
    When the final scene came and the screen whent black as Jake cried out "NOW" my heart stopped!
    If this is not the best cliffhange ever, then there is none!

To then hear that CBS has cancelled the show made me not so much angry but FURIOUS! I am with the Jericho army fighting for this show to be brought back from cancellation and I will not rest til I see what happends with this wonderful show that definetly deserves another season...or five....

NUTS to you CBS!!
  • About a town called Jericho and its challenges of survival after it survives a nuclear attack on the USA.

I think the show is awsome because of the suspence and mistery that it packs all the way through the show and leaving you feeling you want to watch more at the end. Its too bad that CBS is NUTS enough to take such a well written and well acted and well performed show off the air. I pray that CBS will reconsider their mistake and reenstate it or give it to another network because otherwise, Jericho will have left many unanswered questions and cliffhangers. It will be like buying a book and then finding out that the last couple of chapters have been ripped out and missing after you get through it. I really would love to see it back as a second season and not a movie or as extras in dvd.
  • Sad to hear this is the last episode. I thought it was the best.

I can't believe they are not picking this show up again. I thought it had started slow at the beginning of the season but they did a good job of character building and drama in a post-apocalyptic USA. This episode was the most exciting by far. I just wish they had been able to keep more rounds for that tank. That was pretty cool to watch. :)

If this show stayed on, the mystery surrounding the head of Homeland Security (I think he was the head of it - the bald guy?) would be revealed as the biggest scandal in the history of the modern world. I dont think this show is too off from what could potentially happen if a government fell in a country such as the USA. Towns could turn on each other for supplies. Close nit towns like Jericho would do their best to help their neighbors. I hope another station picks this up before fall, because it has some good potential. Maybe not a real long series, unless the writers can come up with some good ideas for the future. Like the government being reinstated but the army is spread thin and has a hard time keeping gang lords in check. Who knows.

I will miss this show.
  • great episode

Jericho prepares for an invasion by New Bern. Everyone who is able to carry a gun is requested to join in the fight. Jake and his men position themselves at Stanley's farm, it's where they are making the last stand. Constantino's men are amassing their troops. The first wave fights the Jericho defenders, they are pushed back by a tank that's been hidden in Stanley's barn. This episode is the highest point of the show, it's the climax for season 1. It's a really exciting episode, it ends in a cliffhanger, we don't know what happens next, because the stupid CBS decided to cancel one of their best shows. I hate CBS, shame on CBS.
  • Wow!

Not only did I have a blanket in front of my face for the majority of this episode, but I had tears running down my face during the last half. Wow!

This episode really proved just how much Jericho is improving, both as a TV show and as a town!

Johnston's death was heartbreaking, especially when he said that he wished Gail had been there. The tears came a bit faster then.

And when Jake let Emily just hold him while he cried, you could see the true connection there!

And the kiss! Let me just say *Happy Sigh*

This was probably the best, if not in the top two episode ever!!

WE NEED MORE!
  • Fantastic!

(spoiler alert)Please ignore the comments on how poor this episode is!! I was sad when Johnston Green was killed, I think people missed the point! it was a senseless death thats the whole idea!! duh. Sad to see Johnston Green go - he was a very likable character, but the shows main character is Jake and that was the whole point of Johnston's death, Jake is ready to be a man and take his fathers place and lead Jericho. Cant wait for season 2
  • Excellent Episode

This was a great episode with alot of emotions in the mix. Love, defeat, loss the list could go on. I almost cried when Johnstone was speaking to Jake and Eric. And It Was So Sad When His Wife Walked In And He Was Just Lying There On Stanleys Table! Jericho Stood Up Well And I Knew Someone Was Bound To Get Hit, Especially Johnstone Because He Was Running Beside The Tank! Anyway Hawkins Is Gettin Even More Interesting Now :D! Great Episode!
  • I watched the latest episode last night and I will say unashamed that I bawled my eyes out. I can't wait until the next episode...

This is THE BEST show to come on to television.EVER!Its hard to believe a good show can come out of all this crap that's airing today cough reality television cough but this show has done it.I sure hope the writers plan on keeping this show on. Compare to many shows on tv...this is one of the only ones worth watching. (My opinion of course) I think the show is exciting...and yes a cliff hanger...but arn't most great show like that?? I think it is great to keep you in suspense. If they were to spill all the info in the first season...then there would be no reason to have anymore seasons. This world we live in is way to pushy and instant...everyone wants everything now. Come on..relax...ENJOY the show....It is a great show....I am sure the writers know what they are doing.
  • Between and Rock and a Hard place, still, life continues for the town of Jericho..

This is one great show. Now that season 1 is ended, on a very nice cliffhanger, with the military about to stop a skirmish, and who knows who else is gonna get either hurt or killed off the show!

Johnston death was a surprise to me, but then again, it wasn't. He's gonna be missed as a character, but in a way, his death will force others to kinda "grow-up" so to speak.

Things will be different for sure.

Like I keep saying, I don't rate episodes, rather, I rate the show as a whole.

This show is certainly a keeper. A fictional account of this town and how the U.S. survived nukes. I like how the last nuke is now, perhaps the smoking gun which can be used to prove that the nuking was an inside job.

I love the threads that keep spanning from the show. So we now wait for Season 2 with anticipation and glee! "tee hee!" :P
  • An exciting and thrilling end to bring this brilliant series to it’s season 1 finale.... ( Contains Spoilers )

It’s on a sad note we say farewell to Jake, Eric, Stanley, Hawkins, Emily, Mimi, Dale, Grey, Gail and all for this season, it’s also on an even sadder note to say farewell to Johnston Green, I knew one of the major characters would be killed off and wished it hadn’t been Johnston, his presence and commitment to the town of Jericho was so intense and now it’s up to Jake to pick up the torch that his father gave him and lead the town to victory over New Bern and rid the dictator and killer of his father Constantino.

This episode went really as predicted with a few skirmishes between the two towns ( glad they used the tank ), a flash back to happier times, a death, another edge of seat suspense moment between Hawkins and his nemesis Valente and the new home guard on there way to help the fighting and track down Hawkins.

I cannot wait for season 2 and let’s hope CBS see sense on returning Jericho for a second season.
  • NUTS !! I cant believe Season 1 is over! CBS is NUTS if it doesnt give Jericho a Season 2....

This was one of the best episodes of the season, if not the best. It had everything: Action, Emotion, Revelations about the larger world, suspense, a farewell to a beloved character and the return of another missing since Episode 13.

There may be particular segments Im not big on, I realize the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. And thats what makes Jericho a superb show. We find out the country is still divided and the Western areas are headed by a new President under a new flag. And part of this administration is the malevolent Thomas Valente - probable head of the bomb plot. It was great seeing Hawkins and his wife working together instead of butting heads as well as Hawkins risking everything to use the spy satellite to help the people of his new home town. With the loss of the towns most beloved ex Mayor, father and leader we saw how people deal with the pain of loss of war. Even the stony hearted Constantino, for a moment, seemed to feel bad about what he had done. Then, as the battle with New Bern came to a head, Heather comes to the rescue with forces loyal to one of the new Presidents. But these forces have ulterior motives on orders of Jerichos Dr. Evil - Thomas Valente: Get Hawkins!

Military helicopters fly overhead just as Hawkins gets ready to use the tank to stop the New Bern troop train. While the forces of Jericho, rallied by the stirring words of the grieving Jake Green, open fire against the forces of New Bern. Great way to end Season 1 and begin Season 2 as the outcome of the battle is revealed and the larger world comes crashing in. Hopefully a way will be found to use Johnston Green in the future (flashbacks or symbolic of Jakes conscience when he asks himself "What would Dad do?").

Jericho is one of the best thought provoking series in years - it really makes you think about what you would do if such a scenario unfolded. What would you do? How prepared are you - both physically and mentally? How would you survive? Would you even want to? Alot of people thought hijacked passenger planes being used as missiles to destroy 100 story buildings and thousands of lives was the stuff of Hollywood fantasy before September 11, 2001. Hopefully life will never imitate art, but you never know....
  • CBS better not cancel this show!

If CBS cancels this show, it will be bad on their part as this is really edge of your seat as well as mixing in reality with "entertainment!" Really a good show with good acting and good writing. Hopefully CBS doesn't cancel it. Sure the residents survived the attack. But that is just the least of their problems. The very least of it!!
  • I loved the show, love the flashbacks and i stayed on the edge of my seat when the fighting started.

Jericho has been a great show to watch this past season. I have jumped to many conclusions only to have my theories proved wrong. Im shocked that they ended season 1 with the gun fire. I still have questions about hawkins and his "real" objectives. I was shocked when I seen the soldiers wearing the "new" flag of the united states on their uniforms. I also have some theories about the man from the Department of Homeland Security. I have some questions if anyone could answer them, it would help.
    1) Who is the president of the united states? 2) Was that a grenade that was shot in front of the car that the citizens of Jericho were protecting?
    3) Who will the army shoot, the citizens of Jericho or the citizens of New Bern?
    4) Where did Constantino get those trucks and soldiers from?
    if anyone has those answer, please tell me....
  • Eager for season 2! There aren't many shows I care about but this one is a refreshing change... just enough fiction mixed with reality.

Very nice! The only real suggestion is that this could have been a 2 hour finale! Twice as tasty! This would have allowed for a bit more expansion... for example - not enough on the final scenes with Johnston, his wife, and sons... maybe more tribute from the whole town? Perhaps that will come in the first show of season 2? The flag thing was a bit confusing and indicated that the government has written off several states. Unless that means that foriegn powers are ruling parts of North America it makes NO sense... but what a teaser.
  • OMG. Excellent first season. Definetly needs a second season!!

OMG this episode was the saddest eppy of Jericho. I would have never thought that Johnston would die! OMG I was balling my eyes out! Johnston was an amazing person and I miss him soo much! haha im soo emotional. I really hope there is a second season to that show! The way it ended made it seem like it wasn't the season finale. It just seemed like a regular eppy. I really hope it comes back on in September!! I felt sooo bad for Gail when she was with Johnston. She is my favourite character on Jericho! I loved this show.At first I wasn't sure about how it would be but it was awesome! I really really hope there is a season 3!!!!!
  • Engaging, Shocking, Sad, human emotion at its highist realism

Here's to you Constantino.
    NUTS.

Hopefully the 2nd season is worth the wait. And hopefully it isn't one of those 6 month later things either. This episode felt more of a lead in to a finale than the finale itself. Sadly, this is all we're going to see of Jericho this year. There's something weird about "That Army Camp"...notice the quotations. It seemed like Hawkins was the terrorist again after watching the army general talk to those guys on the 4 TV monitors, but in reality it looks like Hawkins is still the good guy, and the real terrorists are now in control of the U.S. government and coming after him. Oh boy...hopefully next season Jake gets revenge, and America returns to normal. For now, it's worse than I had thought. And I wasn't expecting Johnston to bite it. I was hoping Gray would get it. Really sad emotional tension, which is going to make for an even better second season come this fall.

This surely will go down as Jericho's best episode ever, and if not, certainly one of them. All I can say is I'm glad they didn't go with a plotline involving dentonating a nuke on newburn, which had been rumored.

On another note, CBS doesn't even give us a preview of what might happen next season. Come on, FOX does it with 24. Why not Jericho?
  • If ever there was a series deserving of a second season it's Jericho.

This episode, the conclusion of the first season, is a true cliffhanger in every respect. Johnston dies and Jake has to step up to lead in his fathers place. Hawkins aids by providing valuable intelligence in the first real engagement between New Bern and Jericho, but at the price of being located by the nefarious forces tracking him. Now the new federal government is sending the army to capture him. Heather is alive and now headed back to Jericho. The final battle is commencing with the citizens of Jericho greatly outnumbered and out gunned and Hawkins about to use the tank to derail the train coming in on their flank from New Bern. In the final scenes the military helicopters arrive, but who knows how they will choose to "put down the problem" between the opposing sides. All of this leave me on the end of my couch waiting for season two. On a sad note, it will be a great loss for the show not to have the superb acting skills of Gerald McRaney and the strength of his character Johnston Green, for season two. This is one show which proves a proper balance of character and storyline produces a great piece of entertainment.
  • Review

I say this is the series finale as there is no word on the fate of Jericho & after tonights episode it would really suck for it to end like that.

Other than that. This episode rocked. There wasn't an episode this entire series that I didn't like. They were all good in its own way & hope that the show will continue on for many years. The death of Johnston Greene. I figured of all the main characters he would have been the one to go. But as the episode went on, I actually thought of his wife, but I was right the first time. It was heartbreaking to say the least. Men can cry to. I cry all the time & did at their father's death.

Gerald McRaney is a good actor & will be missed on the show.
  • Heather's alive! Yeah! Unfortunately she becomes an unwilling pawn in a deadly game. There's much more to this episode than just a city/state skirmish. I could have said Season Finally but it was more than that!

I call it city/state because it reminds me of ancient Greece. They're city/states didn't get along but could still combine for a bigger threat. Theorectically, if cooler heads prevailed, they'd team up and go find stuff outside, but that's neither here nor there.

Johnston fell, just as I predicted. It really didn't surprise me, he has to die so the series can live. It has to be on Jake, and his brother, and the mayor, and Hawkins to fix this. Nice use of the tank!

Hawkins, with his wife have another great revelation. Why would they track him? Unless they wanted something. The "rebel" a person to put up in the blame for all that happened. And the real perp is pulling the strings.

Heather's alive! But in her attempt to try to help, along with the trace, they've been lead to the last nuke in the country. Speaking of which, how many stars were on that flag? Less than 50!

Finally, the last scene. The call of "nuts" by Jake - as they had juxtaposed the wedding with the war - the helos as Hawkins contemplates taking out the train, the smoke followed by Jakes order to "fire!" all leaves you wanting to see the season openner!

Overall, excellent first season, I hope they keep it up!
  • The town of Jerico is getting ready for the biggest fight thus so far against their neighboring town New Bern.Jake and Emily are getting closer,as the show goes to a scene where Heather is found "alive".Johnston is killed during the 1st round of fighting.

This was a great episode I was happy with the flashbacks it helped to know this family before the bombs went off.The death of Jake and Eric's father was done very well thier emotions looked extremely real.(great actors pulled off a difficult scene)The flashbacks also brought into the show the boys grandfather and how much like him Jake really is and how much like his father Eric is. Was so happy to see that Heather is still alive that will put a damper into Jake and Emily's rekindling of a old relationship.The writers of this show should give thierselves a pat on the back great show. Can't wait till next season,also looking forward to reruns to catch any details I might have missed the 1st time around.
  • Perfect in some points but could have been better!

Hey, I will still give it a perfect score for alot of the action but they could have chanegd about 25 minutes of crap into action. The flashbacks were stupid and din't reveal anything so were pointless, especially in the season final! Then there was about 10 minutes all up of soft talk before the big event... I thought that this episode was the big even but obviously we have to wait for 6 months or possible it will never be made (please be a Season 2!) Its a real shame Johnston died, why couldn't the woosy major die?!? The new storyline of the army coming in is brilliant and I can't wait to see what happens next year. Possible one of the best cliff hangers I have ever seen. I really expected that we would see the big fight and the winner in this episode but O well. Instead we saw death, some action and flashbacks.
  • A great cliff-hanger of an ending to an excellent show.

I don't know what to say about this episode, really, that could describe exactly how much this show has impressed me and gotten better and better each week. The flashbacks I could almost say were unnecessary but I've come to love the characters so much that I enjoyed them. My only fear is they, for some reason, CBS will cancel the show. I have come to have little faith in network TV when it comes to keeping something based solely on it being great. Ratings, ratings, ratings. In any case, I will be waiting, hopefully and expectantly for season 2.
  • Save Jericho! Great show! We need more quality TV!

Great season ender! I think the low scores show why Idol and Dancing with the stars are top rated. The thinking mans shows are dying off. Viewers could not follow Jericho, they want all the answers on Lost right away, and now they want Heroes to spell everything out. We don't get all the answers in life right away if ever. If you want a show that you never have to use your brain to watch try one of the many sitcoms or Survivor. Jericho is the kind of show that must be watched closely.Thous of you who stopped watching lost because of the season 2 low points are missing great episodes now!I know this finale was not 100 percent perfect but we need to keep in mind the awful shows that are taking over TV and embrace the few good shows and not abandon them to be replaces by mindless junk! http://www.jericholives.com/
  • Why we fight was the best episode aswell as the season finale. The big shoot out at the end and the tank was just awsome!!!!!

The final fight at the end of the episode was just amazing I loved the gun battle and when they brought out the tank that just made me even more happier. The sad part of this episode is that there father gets shot and dies leaving jake in charge and to be there leader to fight there enemy for survival and for there town/land. I liked hte entire season but I think this was the best episode, and how they ended the season was just pure genius. And I just can't wait for season 2 come in january, i can see this show going smoewhere and it will just get better that for sure.
< 1 2