Jericho

Why We Fight

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 09, 2007 on CBS

• This episode is an example of why the series was cancelled - it has almost all of the flaws which beset the series in general. But did CBS cancel it for its weaknesses or its strengths?

4.4
    I didn't care for this episode, or for that matter, the entire series, as much as everyone else seems to have. Why?

At first it was because of what I consider to have been several bad errors of fact... foul-ups the screenwriters made in their depiction of how nuclear weapons and nuclear fallout work (something I know more about than either they or their technical advisors apparently do), going all the way to firing a mortar round out of a 120mm tank main gun (how, exactly, without serious modifications to the gun requiring the presence of an armorer from General Dynamics Land Systems or the Army?) and hitting what they were aiming at first try.

These wouldn't be such bad defects if there was enough substance to the plot to get me, the audience, to cooperate with the writers by suspending my disbelief in the rather distracting errors. The characters were weak and, frankly, not very sympathetic. And the warfare between Jericho and New Bern was too contrived to ring true.

I can understand why many people are upset by the cancellation of this show, but I can also understand why it was cancelled. There were several episodes of "Jericho" which I clicked off because I frankly didn't much care for them. Not only did they not entertain me, they actually annoyed me rather badly - either through weak plotting or factual errors which betrayed a "don't care" attitude on the part of the writers.

CBS has axed much better series than this one ("The Agency" prime among them, even though that series also had serious flaws).

I wonder, though, if CBS cancelled Jericho for its strengths, and not its weaknesses - every time CBS has a show that extols the martial virtues (again, "The Agency" is a prime example), the show goes away. "JAG" and "NCIS" seem to be the exceptions that prove this rule, but these were both primarily cops n' robbers shows set in the military - not primarily military shows. I don't hold out much hope for "The Unit," either - I'm sure that there are decision-makers at CBS who have grave misgivings about it right now. At bottom, CBS seems to see its role not so much as a news and entertainment channel as a social engineering company. They're everything they accuse Fox of being, just the opposite political polarity.
  • I was almost sure since the first 10 minutes that something like this would have happened. They should have not killed the most beloved character in this show. This episode was on the verge of destroying it for me.

4.5

It was poorly executed -- they could have at least let him die with a little more dignity than a random lousy shot hitting him as he was walking with the tank.... We didn't even get to see it happen.

I foresaw something like this happening early in the episode and was forced to dreaded it for the entire show because I knew he was going to die, but in no way shape or form had I expected such a lame death as this. It was crap. I expected him to take lead of Jericho once again and bring his strength and wisdom with him. Now its all gone and what a massive waste it is..... I don't know if I'll be able to watch another episode the same way without his strength and wisdom present in each and every episode.

This just downgraded this show for me... It's ridiculous..
  • Could have been better

I had high expectations for the season finale and I wasn't satisfied with that episode. Too much retrospection and it wasn't really connected with the things happening in the moment.
    A favorite main character dies. I understand that without his appearance, the second season will be a little bit interesting because Jericho will suffer because of his absence. Jericho loses a resident but another is coming back.
    More explanation about the flag and the US situation could have been great, hope that it'll be explained better in the second season.
    I expected to see Roger to the end of the season but that did not happen. Jake sent him in New Bern but he didn't come back with the other Jericho men. Maybe we will see him in the second season - who knows?!
    Too much drama - not enough action. However, that will not stop me from watching the second season of Jericho.
    I hope that CBS will make the right choice and will air it.
  • Killing off the most believable character was a mistake.

I am really loathe to write this, but equally and more so compelled -- I just dislike the fact that so many will disagree with this, my first submission.

Killing the character Johnston Greene was unconscionable. I am still rattled with disbelief and disappointment. If I and those others who consider themselves a fan of this show can take a step back and just consider the following:

This show has perhaps THE most abysmal acting of any I follow. The earliest episodes were especially clumsy with predictable dialogue delivered poorly and leaving it hard believe.

Perhaps this quote from screenwriter/producer Ronald D. Moore would "moore" articulately illustrates what I am trying to say (even though he is speaking about a different show):

"I think the audience intuitively knows when something is true and something is not true. Voyager is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spic-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bull****ing the audience I think takes its toll. At some point the audience stops taking it seriously, because they know that this is not really the way this would happen. These people wouldn’t act like this."

I admit, Jericho is grittier and more believable than Voyager or any other Star Trek franchise, by a long shot. There are, however, similarities, most of which come from the Robert Hawkins character in the form of satellites, an entire truck bed of fully automatic weapons, etc. Too much dues ex machina. The very thing that drew me originally to the show was that it was gritty, I was hoping to never have that feeling of the writers bull****ing me. Unfortunately, it feels contrived and unbelievable.

I won't even mention the ridiculous battle where EVERYONE has guns but no one can seem to shoot them with any sort of accuracy, a personal pet peeve. Wait a sec . . . I think I just did mention it, oh well. Skeet Ulrich running from tree to tree? I'm not military, my family isn't military, I don't collect guns but even I can see clearly that a tree provides very little cover vs even one gunman, much less an army SPREAD OUT over a field all of whom are taking aim at him from DIFFERENT places. The bullets following his feet as he ran in full sight from one magic tree to the next was an especially nice touch.

All of that said, the only two characters on this show who I've never had to suspend belief at their actions or overlook their dialogue are Reed's Gail Green and McRaney's Johnston Greene. Maybe I am just angry because they just killed off my favorite character, but it really is more than that. McRaney's acting was so believable at every instant that it inspired me to look the other way when the show otherwise sputtered. In fact, I can't really think of another character I actually like. Eric is particularly annoying, Skeet Ulrich's character is completely unbelievable, equally is Lennie James' Hawkins, although his acting is fantastic--I completely fault the script regarding his character. Gray Anderson is portrayed as such a bumbling jack ass that the acting talent of Michael Gaston is similarly wasted completely by poor writing. How about the kids at Gracie Leighs? As laughable as the IRS witch and her farmhand boyfriend. Johnston Greene was written to be a man, and Gerald McRaney pulls . . . err, pulled it off perfectly, just as he did as the duplicitous George Hurst on HBO's Deadwood (now regrettably canceled). Now THAT was damn good show. I am so very disappointed that with such great potential and premise, Jericho just doesn't really get it done. I truly wanted to love it, all they had to do was halfway deliver . . . and in all truth and fairness, I suppose they have--I don't deny that Jericho does have it's merits, but it's still only half of what an excellent show should be.

Should CBS renew it and will I continue to watch? Of course I will, but more and more I feel Jericho is a guilty pleasure rather than a show I'd eagerly follow with friends.
  • Jericho and New Bern fighting for resources.

6.9
    Even if the show is great and i am a real fan i can't say i am totally satisfied of the writing of this finale. The Flashback, in my opinion, was completely useless, kind of trick to take some time. What do i care of Eric wedding some years before the facts and especially what does it tell me i don't know ? In the start i was thinking some new revelations on Jack's past then when i realize it was just to show us how much the family is togheter... well.. don't we already know that very well ? SPOILER

It's a lot better when the episode gets back to the storyline, and johnston dead is a very good point in developing the storyline. Unfortunately the show is not planned for fall...
  • *Spoilers* Sorry, but the death for dramatic effect was incredibly poorly executed and seriously deterred the enjoyment of the rest of the episode for me. Completely dissapointed in this episode.

Again... *SPOILERS!*

I have to say Jericho has had it's ups and downs for me this season. And truthfully, this episode wasn't bad. Even the "corny" flashbacks were fine. But the idiotic death of Johnston Green had no place but just to attempt to create a dramatic moment that falls flat on it's face. The man was an Army Ranger! He would've known never to go to battle without using the tank for cover, and he was the only person killed on Jericho's side!!! COME ON!!! They have other members of the town, throughout the season, survive incredible odds, wounds, tortures and situations just to have the man go out like that! His death was just downright embarrasing. I can just imagine the meeting... what can we do to throw the town more into chaos... I know, let's kill of the only grounded believable character in the show!!! That will add drama!!! High-fives all around!!

Sorry... This extremely beyond baffling move has had me lose a bit of interest in the show... Thank God for Hawkins!!! The man deserves a pre-quel or something. It seems to me he's the only reason left I have for watching the show.

Definetely Jumped the Shark!
  • once again... they leave us hanging with no future episodes :/

//spoilers perhaps//
    Over all it's been a fun show to watch, and I would like to see more of it despite that I have a hard time picturing these events ever happening, even after a nuclear war.
    People fighting for their lives in a brutal kind of way over a few farms and a salt mine?
    I guess people never learn from past experiences.
    Anyways, the barbarians from each town decide not to bury the hatchet even if both sides have lost more than the original deal was worth, but "fortunatly" the cavalry will step in and close the deal somehow... Just sucks we dont get to see how, unless someone makes a movie about it?
  • Hmmmm, Jericho Season 1 ends on an emotional level rather than an explosive one

Ok firstly i will sum up Jericho season 1. I think it has been one of the best shows on tv, it was orginal and very interesting. The show has had its filler episodes, a couple of poor ones and some fantastic ones. I feel that the mystery behind the bombs was answered slightly too quickly, and also the character of Hawkins (the best character on the show for me) i feel most of the mystery surrounding him has slightly faded. I'm confused how they will continue with the story in season 2. I know they will come up with something i just cant think of that much to keep it going for another season.
    Anyway on with "Why We Fight" my expectations of this episode were maybe over hyped. I felt it was going to be an all out war between Jericho and New Bern with possibly some character development thrown in. However the episode was quite the reverse, mostly character driven with very little in the way of action. I was very suprised to seea major character go, and the way he did was disappointing (hit by some stray bullet). However i felt the biggest problem was in the ending. Most shows in their first season end with a crazy/emotional/explosive and sometimes confusing cliffhanger. Jericho's was very Meh, just the sounds of shooting over the credits, considering they were building this fight between New Bern and Jericho for a few weeks i thought it would of been alot better.
    Ah well roll on Season 2
  • Essentially a continuation of the previous episode. Words have stopped talking and weapons have started. People are dying, and for what? Salt, a few farms and angry words. This is reality.

Overall, this show has been a very fine performer for CBS. The writing early on was quite spotty though, and hopefully we won't see repeats of shows like AKA, The Day Before or Vox Populii. It needs to be constantly gritty, grimy and realistic (but would people tune in to watch something that is this depressing?), and has to ditch soap opera sensibilities. They appear to have done this in the second half of the season. The producers and writers displayed a large amount of courage in killing off major characters, but this is only half the battle. They have to show the health problems that would occur, and yes they have to deal with the incredible disappearing radiation. Flashbacks should be written out of the show (nothing other than an excuse for sloppy writing), and some plot holes should be closed up (the missiles that were launched early in the season....just where were they targetted, and how does Hawkins still have access to a fully functional live video feed satellite?). Finally, we need to be shown what happened to the outside world; has it too descended into war?

Jericho has been an amazing show, very entertaining and thought provoking, but it is not without it's problems. Tom
  • Perfect in some points but could have been better!

Hey, I will still give it a perfect score for alot of the action but they could have chanegd about 25 minutes of crap into action. The flashbacks were stupid and din't reveal anything so were pointless, especially in the season final! Then there was about 10 minutes all up of soft talk before the big event... I thought that this episode was the big even but obviously we have to wait for 6 months or possible it will never be made (please be a Season 2!) Its a real shame Johnston died, why couldn't the woosy major die?!? The new storyline of the army coming in is brilliant and I can't wait to see what happens next year. Possible one of the best cliff hangers I have ever seen. I really expected that we would see the big fight and the winner in this episode but O well. Instead we saw death, some action and flashbacks.
  • If this is the last episode of Jericho (hopefully not) what will we make of, not only this episode, but the entire show?

7.8
    Jericho's been a bit of a funny show for me this year. At its best, the first couple of episodes it seemed like something that could challenge the likes of Lost and Heroes! But unfortunatley at its worst it had less dramatic tension than an episode of Pokemon!

That being said I've really enjoyed most of this season and it definately has the potential to be a great show. This is where the season finale seems to perfectly sum up the season. It was not perfect, but did have some incredible moments. I was worried about how they would do a big war between two towns on a TV budget. But they actually did it quite well by showing us the full detail of the first attack and therefore giving us a good idea of what was to come.

Of course the episode started with a flashback. A flashback in a season finale!? Surely there'll be too much going on that a flashback will never work. But that was one of the brilliant things about the episode, that it did work brilliantly. It was nice to see April again, but did she actually have a line? They probably could've got away without using the actress and just not seeing her face. Still it wasn't about her, it was about Jake's relationships with his family. There was nothing revalatory in it as far as Jake's past goes, but it was great to remind us of what Jake's relationship was like with his family at the start of the season and to show how far its come. The two brothers who clearly were not very close, now crying in each others arms over their fathers death.

Which leads me to something that is both a good and bad thing. Johnston's death. Fair enough all shows have to copy Lost now, with large casts that could kill off anyone at any time, but you don't get rid of one of the best characters just for emotional effect. We can only assume that the writers think there's a good chance that the show will get cancelled and so they might as well kill him off for the impact. Of course if the show does get renewed, I don't think it'll be the same without Johnston Greene.

Ending with the real battle just starting could have seemed like a bit of a cop out, but because of what had happened already in the episode it was understandable. I did have issues with how it seemed to sort of, again, copy Lost with a big cliffhanger ending of something that should've been resolved(remember when they opened the hatch and we had to wait three months to find out what was in it). Still if that was the last episode we can kind of guess what happened, and if not they'll probably start after the battle's finished and we'll get told what happened over the course of the next episode.

So, if that was it then what will Jericho be remembered as? I'll remember it as a show that was enjoyable, if not as enthralling as others. A good example that there is still plenty of talent in the world of television and that there can be more to the weeks TV schedule than just Heroes and Lost.
  • Review

To tell you the truth - I thought that the flashbacks kind of made this episode a little less important for me. I think this episode had just as much potential to be the best epsiode of the series, but the flashbacks really took a lot of time out of the 42 minute finale. The 10 minutes we spent realizing the the family really had come full circle wasnt really needed - not in the finale anyway. I mean, dont get me wrong, I know WHY the flashback was put there, I just disagree with the decision to have it in the finale episode when the tensions are the highest and people are looking for a resolution.

On the subject of the show being cancelled - Yea I would have sent some nuts too. The season doesnt close the chapter on the current story that have taken place over the past couple of episodes and the United States government coming to Jericho is a huge plot for what would be season 2. I couldnt tell you what I think Season 2 would be about, season 1 was about the initial reaction after the bombs went off. Thats why I was so hooked. They had about on average 1 problem an episode, which ranged from a lot of things. I dont know where they go from here.

Overall, the finale was actually (according to my rankings) in the bottom ten epsiodes of the season. I just felt the flashback would have been more useful in another episode, and not the finale when everyone is looking forward to seeing the war. It slowed the pace of a fast and intense episode.
  • The war is on

What an ending and what an idiots were the people who originally cancelled this show.

Truly amazing episode with tears and laughs, twists, flashbacks and war.

Perhaps the flashbacks were a bit too long, but they were still very well-timed, aimed at increasing the tension of the episode.

I was sooo afraid Jake was gonna mess up his speech at Eric's wedding, but fortunately, he didn't

I was a firm believer in the Jake-Heather relationship, but I think I'm convinced now about Jake and Emily, nevertheless, I was pleased Heather was still alive in a big plot twist. Her being at a military camp of the US government was suprising too.

Johnston dying was sooo sad, his two sons at this side, being proud of Jake especially made this very, very moving.

The ending, what can I say. I can't find for new episodes!!
  • Holy moly

The real battle begins
    after the motars fail to convience jericho to surrender
    the new bern invasion starts.
    They begin to over run farms outside town
    and our "general" johnston reasons that the best place to make a stand is brads farm.
    Unfortunately they lack the man power even with all the rangers and the deputies.Dale however convinces the refugees to fight in return for a share of the farms when the dust settles.
    Hawkins uses his satelite link to feed info to the rangers about enemy movements.
    the battle begins as several trucks pulls up and dozen of heavily armed New Berners open fire.
    Jake manage to take out a heavy machine gun and calls up the tank for reenforcments.The new berners scatter.
    Unfortunately a train is heading to the farm with hundreds more troops and the enemy is gearing up for another attack.
    Hawkins rides out to help the rangers and take the tank to stop the train??Johnston dies and jake takes over refusing to surrender to constantino.
    The battle starts

A brilliant episode ,the pay off for a year of tension and heartache for the people of jericho.
    I still cant belive johnston died
    I cant wait for constantino to get his.
    win, lose or draw
    next season ,cant wait
    it gonna be a right rave up i tell thee
  • This is what the entertainment world should be. This riveting episode had you on the edge of your seat with suspense at one moment or crying the next.

In this episode Jake has a flash back of his brothers wedding and his best man toast, which at the end of the show is a sentimental reminder of what kind of relationship he and his father had in the before D-day and what they share now.

New Burn is at it still and they mean business they want what Jericho has and are willing to kill to get it. The mayor of New Burn has a twisted sense of fair play and rite and wrong. For some reason known only to him, he blames Jericho for the misfortune that has befallen his town. So now he will be both judge and jury for them all, and take what he feels belongs to New Burn even if it is the town of Jericho's land and farms. The show starts with mortars going off in town and Jake and his mother are caught in the middle of it.
    The two mayors speak on walkie-talkies and Jericho is informed that they have 1 hour in which to surrender all of there land and farms not to mention the salt mine or they will continue to be bombed every hour on the hour until nothing is left or everyone is dead.
    The Mayor of Jericho sends out some scouts to take out the mortar throwers and gives the order to kill the New Burn Men with out checking to see if it is a trap. Which it is, so all but one scout is killed.
    After the scout fiasco the mayor of Jericho is a little gun shy and wants to make a deal, even if the rest of the town is lost he just is trying to save lives.
    In the mean time, Jake and his brother are hi jacking a truck of supplies and find an old adversary. The Thief (Jakes girl friends dad) agrees to help the town that turned him out in the cold and then ends up turning on them in the end anyway. The whole episode comes to a head when New Bern and Jericho meet at the Stanley farm to make there final stand, as Johnston puts it. During the first attack Johnston is shot, Jake and his brother carry their father into the farm and try to save him. Johnston tells them to stop and lets them both know how much he loves them both. He also passes a message to his wife of love and then tells Jake how proud he is of him. The actors were great in the scene I was crying like a baby. Wright after he speaks to Jake he dies and the brothers are left to finish there fathers work of protecting there town and home.
    A little tid bit by the wife of Robert Hawkins the so-called CIA or FBI agent. She figured out why everyone wanted the nuclear bomb. Not to get rid of the terrorist's, but the bomb could identify who actually set off the other bombs. Therefore, in all actuality, the bomb has a type of fingerprint on it. They need to find a scapegoat or get rid of it; we shall see which it is?
    Now back to the fighting Jake tells the mayor of New Burn that he holds him personally responsible for his father's death and Jake would be collecting in person soon. Then you see all of New Burn show up with all there support and the new military flies overhead toward Jericho, but not in time to stop the shooting. Jake gives the order to start shooting and you cannot see it but you hear everyone shooting and dieing.
  • This was the best episode of the first season

I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy that this is renewed for another 7 episodes. I have absolutely no doubt with the tremendous fan support that this will go for several more years. This episode introduced the Government officials who set off the Nukes as now coming to find the last bomb.

In the process, they will support Jericho, but this opens a whole new avenue of how Jericho will interact with the Government which will be fascinating. It may be a way for surrounding towns to bond back together against the Govt.

There is also the leadership issues with conflicts among many key characters. Superb cliff-hanger episode.

I love this show.
  • One of the best episodes of the series.

Of all the episodes of "Jericho" that I have watched, I'd have to rank "Why We Fight" as one of my favorites, mainly because of how the previous episodes lead the way to the conclusion of a good season.

Some of the things that I really enjoyed about the episode were how Jack and some of the other members of his family were remembering a happier time in their lives when they were flashing back to Eric's wedding to April while preparing to fight their war with New Bern. It was during one of their flashbacks that I also enjoyed hearing the peanut story Jake's grandfather told Stanley before the wedding started when they were sitting in the bar.

One scene that I thought was priceless was when Stanley and Bonnie brought Mimi to visit their parents' graves. While it was kind of somber the way he was telling them that it might be a while before they come back to visit their graves, I thought Stanley's description of Mimi when he introduced her to them to be priceless. It was also pretty comical the way Stanley reacted when Mimi told their parents that Stanley and Bonnie have been so kind by letting her live with them after all the bombs went off in the major cities.

After the war started, I thought it was pretty comical the way Johnston reacted to finding out about Hawkins' satellite computer by saying he was about to bomb the town that had the closest Costco. It was also neat the way Hawkins was willing to help Jericho after being found by the bad guys. I was also glad that the citizens of Jericho finally brought out their tank and used it against New Bern.

With that said, there were also a few parts that I didn't like: such as Johnston dying and the way New Bern was bringing in so many reinforcements that Jericho was more outnumbered than before. Another part that I didn't like was when Constantino told Jake that Jericho should give up the next wave of attacks while expressing his condolences about what happened to Johnston. Some of the only highlights of these parts was the way Emily comforted Jake and his response of "Nuts" to Constantino was absolutely priceless.

Despite Johnston's death in this episode and the cliffhanger ending, "Why We Fight" is one of my favorite episodes of the show.
  • Good episode, but falls short compared to the last few.

Ever since Jericho came back from it's midseason hiatus it's been throwing more and more intense episodes at the viewers than the entire first half of the season altogether. The show's soap aspect has been reduced to minimum, and in the last couple of episodes the action became an important element of the show.

It was also great to finally learn about Hawkins. Once his character's motivations were revealed, his character didn't feel all 2 dimensional anymore, like in most early episodes where you knew he's up to something mysterious, but he's been over-mystified: after the 50th mysterious laptop-browsing it just became dull and laughable. But, as I said, it was great to finally learn more about him.

The problem is, this finale feels more like a finale of the first half of the season rather than the second half.

The stage was set for an explosive and adrelain pumping finale, but instead the show goes off on an emotional stage. Which isn't bad... unless there's a gigantic build up like here.

The first mistake the writers did in this episode was keeping Heather alive. It's not that I dislike her, but I thought her death was a really good shocker. A cold and sudden shocker. This show could use more of that. But revealing she's alive... well, okay. But why now? It felt really out of place. In fact most of her scenes were out of place, expect maybe for the last one.

Another mistake was the flashbacks. It's a very common things nowadays to have flashbacks in season or series finales. And oh, I do love flashbacks... when they add depth or help understanding the storyline. But in this case, they were way too long, and way too "deconcecrated". Most of the flashbacks didn't add anything to the story.

So if we remove the useless flashbacks and useless Heather scenes, we get around 25 minutes out of the full 40. Almost half of the episode's a filler, and nothing helps that. Even though the non filler part is alot of fun.

The fight between New Bern and Jericho isn't as spectacular as you might expect. In my opinion there were more explosive stand offs in the last 2 episodes. However, Johnston's death was really well done, even if I could say that it was useless. It didn't add to the story but it definitely set up some future plot threads and motivation for certain characters. And it was, of course, pretty touching. Well done. To make it more emotional, the flashbacks helped, although as I previously said, only a very little.

What really disappointed me was Hawkins' storyline. Almost nothing new happened, and the whole him getting tracked down was lame. It was very unrealistic... it's a shame, because the show tends to try to be as realistic as possible. Now it all seems a bit negative. But it's not bad at all. In fact it's good. It's just not as great as the last few episodes.
  • Why we fight...to survive!

Writers have a way of taking what we think is a certain and promptly tossing our certainties out the window. Who saw April's baby dying? Who saw April dying? Who would have thought Johnston would have died? He did. Jake is livid at his father's death and decides to wage a war against the man whom he thinks is personally responsible, the mayor of New Bern. Jericho now has to fight for it's very survival or lose its salt mine, its land and its farms. With all the weaponry out there among the masses, the guns and ammunition in Jericho's possession and mortars in New Bern's, the order is given and the fight to survive begins. And to think CBS saw no future for this show!
  • It's New Bern vs. Jericho. It's the return of the United States? It's the return of heroine. It's the loss of a hero. It's a real tear jerker.

Spoilers!!!

I've been waiting to be impressed and today's episode did it. Jericho and New Bern come to blows. A hero is lost when Johnston is killed (gasp!). A heroine returns when we find Heather alive and recuperating in a camp of the NEW United States army. Alot happened and the season premiere should prove just as entertaining as we should see the skirmish end with U.S. military assistance, the family grieve, and the "terrorist" hide from the enemies at the top. Onto my musings...
    The fight between Jericho and New Bern is a fight of need and desperation. Constantino said it well when he told Jake his men would not give up. They can't. They are desperate to survive. But so is Jericho. Once again, when Johnston said it was time to make a stand, I found myself reminded of Stephen King's The Stand.
    I also got a little weepy when Johnston died. This is why I always look at spoilers. I don't like to be sandbagged with the death of a main character. But, with this show, I'm never desperate to find out what is going to happen. Well, because of that, I didn't see it coming at all. I love Gerald McRaney (remember Major Dad). At least they resolved his father/son issues. Too bad he didn't get one last scene with his wife. In his death scene, I was reminded of what his wife said before he went to get his sons. She said she couldn't bear to lose him. Mitchell and Ulrich also did a pretty good job conveying their grief. Ok...that's it. Good episode. Heart-wrenching but full of courage and fight!
    I end with this..."Nuts!"
    I honestly didn't see the point of that whole wedding interlude until the "Nuts" story connection and the last exchange between him and his father at the wedding. Beautifully interwoven. Okay...now I'm really done!
  • Great episode, but could have done without the flashbacks!

You know we deal with enough flashbacks from Lost to count for every show on tv! And why start with the flashbacks on a season finale? But whatever, as far as the episode in general it was great. Was not really expecting a finale cliffhanger like that! I mean come on...."Fire!" than credits, so irritating. But man when that M1A1 tank rolled over the hill and the opposing side took off that was classic man. The new American flag was a good touch to give you a sense on how much the country changed. Crazy. I heard its official about a Season 2. YAY!
  • Good but not the best

It was a great ending to the first season of Jericho. It resumed at where it left off last week and had some decent action .Though the set pieces seemed borrowed from so many war thrillers Hollywood has produced.Anyway there were some extremely well shot emotional scenes. The writers have set it up pretty well for the second season and i am really looking forward to it .

Some time back I had read that CBS had ordered the second season of Jericho but turns out that isn't the case.Jericho is among the better shows out there and though it may not be in the top league yet it has the potential to be a great hit.I would only hope that the producers at CBS realize Jericho's potential and order it for at least couple more seasons.
  • My personal favorite...

Of all the episodes of Jericho that I have watched, I'd have to rank Why We Fight as one of my favorites, mainly because of how the previous episodes lead the way to the conclusion of a good season.

With that said, there were also a few parts that I didn't like: such as Johnston dying and the way New Bern was bringing in so many reinforcements that Jericho was more outnumbered than before. Another part that I didn't like was when Constantino told Jake that Jericho should give up the next wave of attacks while expressing his condolences about what happened to Johnston. Jake's response of "Nuts" to him was absolutely priceless.

Despite Johnston's death in this episode, Why We Fight is one of my favorite episodes.
  • This finale had a little bit of everything, but left us wanting much more.

So many questions, so much emotion, and a cliffhanger with a capital C. The flashbacks to Eric and April's wedding were a nice touch, but I would have preferred them in an earlier episode and not the season finale. Johnston's death was extremely emotional, but I was glad he had a chance to tell his boys how proud he was of them and how much he loved them. I just wish his wife had gotten there in time. I really like the way Jake and Hawkins have teamed up--Hawkins is the kind of guy you want on your side. I really wanted to see Hawkins derail the train using the tank. The scene with Stanley, Mimi, and Bonnie at his parent's grave was great comic relief. While the show had its dark moments, the finale actually offered blue skies and sunshine. For the future of Jericho, I look forward to Jake's punishment of Constantino for his father's death. I agree that there is something a little off about the "Army", and the new flag makes no sense to me. The Fall promises some much-anticipated answers such as what will happen to New Bern and Constantino when the Army enters the fray? How will Hawkins expose the director of Homeland Security as the real terrorist? On another topic, will CBS be showing reruns this summer?
  • Jericho is thrust into war, and not everyone will survive.

I thought this was a fantastic episode, and I really hope the show gets renewed for next year. I disagree with those who thought that the flashbacks were useless and unnecessary. Now, it was predictable that the "nuts" story would come into play by the end of the episode, but I liked seeing more of how the family was before Jake left Jericho, and we also finally got to meet Jake's grandfather, who we already knew was very well-loved by Jake. He was seen as a slacker, and trouble-maker, but it was also clear that everyone knew he had the potential to be great. So the juxtaposition of the flashbacks to the current troubles were very effective in showing Jake's development as a person.

Glad to see that Heather is still alive. I noticed she was billed as a "special guest star", so I'm hoping she'll still be around next season. One thing I thought was very good about this season in general was that they revealed a lot about the mystery of the bombs, but have still left a lot of questions unresolved for next season. I don't think this show jumped the shark at all yet, and look forward to what happens next. Some reviewers have mentioned that we don't see enough of the people in the town dealing with illness, or other troubles related to the nuclear bombs, but I think the producers did a good job of balancing out the domestic issues (for example, Dale and the store), illness (April, Johnston), famine (the refugees), and growing mistrust and dissent in desperate times.
  • An exciting and thrilling end to bring this brilliant series to it’s season 1 finale.... ( Contains Spoilers )

It’s on a sad note we say farewell to Jake, Eric, Stanley, Hawkins, Emily, Mimi, Dale, Grey, Gail and all for this season, it’s also on an even sadder note to say farewell to Johnston Green, I knew one of the major characters would be killed off and wished it hadn’t been Johnston, his presence and commitment to the town of Jericho was so intense and now it’s up to Jake to pick up the torch that his father gave him and lead the town to victory over New Bern and rid the dictator and killer of his father Constantino.

This episode went really as predicted with a few skirmishes between the two towns ( glad they used the tank ), a flash back to happier times, a death, another edge of seat suspense moment between Hawkins and his nemesis Valente and the new home guard on there way to help the fighting and track down Hawkins.

I cannot wait for season 2 and let’s hope CBS see sense on returning Jericho for a second season.
  • The town of Jerico is getting ready for the biggest fight thus so far against their neighboring town New Bern.Jake and Emily are getting closer,as the show goes to a scene where Heather is found "alive".Johnston is killed during the 1st round of fighting.

This was a great episode I was happy with the flashbacks it helped to know this family before the bombs went off.The death of Jake and Eric's father was done very well thier emotions looked extremely real.(great actors pulled off a difficult scene)The flashbacks also brought into the show the boys grandfather and how much like him Jake really is and how much like his father Eric is. Was so happy to see that Heather is still alive that will put a damper into Jake and Emily's rekindling of a old relationship.The writers of this show should give thierselves a pat on the back great show. Can't wait till next season,also looking forward to reruns to catch any details I might have missed the 1st time around.
  • A great cliff-hanger of an ending to an excellent show.

I don't know what to say about this episode, really, that could describe exactly how much this show has impressed me and gotten better and better each week. The flashbacks I could almost say were unnecessary but I've come to love the characters so much that I enjoyed them. My only fear is they, for some reason, CBS will cancel the show. I have come to have little faith in network TV when it comes to keeping something based solely on it being great. Ratings, ratings, ratings. In any case, I will be waiting, hopefully and expectantly for season 2.
  • What happened?

Sadly, this was supposed to be the season finale yet half of it was flashback sequences used for character reflections. It's as if the writers had run out of ideas for where they planned on going with the series at this point. All too often, shows that do flashbacks use literal inserted sequences from past episodes, and that being done as a money-saving trick, so they gain a point for not doing that. However the installment left the audience with a somewhat minor and predictable cliff-hanger. Yet because of the serial nature of the show, such a cliff-hanger has occurred after every episode prior, so there wasn't anything to really distinguish this from the previous episodes. Perhaps had the Secretary of DHS himself stepped out of a truck or something, that might have been interesting to leave one hanging, but going to a blank screen when the shooting began, was well... yawn.

I think that many viewers like myself stuck with this because given its subject and previous treatments that either stopped at TV movie or miniseries lengths, it was curiosity that made me hang in there to see where it would go. However the creators and writers didn't really seem to have a game plan for it. There were some good ideas and concepts, but IMHO, in order to do serials nowadays, it seems that one needs to literally write a full blown epic novel, with beginning, middle, and end, and then execute that on the screen, suitably dividing the novel chapters into episodes. Otherwise it ain't gonna work. Basically, the writers were thinking in "episodic" mode rather than "serial" mode, and thus the increasingly disjointed flow of the episodes, with a myriad of subplots supposedly for character development that didn't quite make sense.

I feel greatly for Lennie James, who essentially carried the entire show, and by "carry", I mean he not only acted without the need for much dialog to get the character's point across, but the dialog that he did have was done without his natural British accent (yes he is very much a Brit and I have seen him in other things, and it boggles the mind to see him consistently perform in this show without the accent).

In any case, should CBS bother (which is becoming more and more doubtful), the writing room seriously needs to be revamped. The concept and challenge (and "challenge" is the key) requires a much higher level of thought process to carry this off.
  • One ends up alive....another dies.

I really enjoyed this episode, except, of course the fact of Johnston dying. I really was enjoying his characters toughness lately, and the town did need a leader, but I guess that is Jake's job now. But do they now have to fight the military? If they are the military. I certainly hope Hawkins hides for a while, I wouldn't want anything to happen to him, I didn't like him at first, but now he's one of my favourites. I'm glad Heather is alive, I do like her character too. I was suspicious because there was no death scene or body being found. It's too bad the towns have come down to shooting each other and sacaficing everything they have ever loved. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the wedding scenes, I don't think they were needed in this episode.
< 1 2