Jericho

Why We Fight

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 09, 2007 on CBS

• One of the best episodes of the series.

Of all the episodes of "Jericho" that I have watched, I'd have to rank "Why We Fight" as one of my favorites, mainly because of how the previous episodes lead the way to the conclusion of a good season.

Some of the things that I really enjoyed about the episode were how Jack and some of the other members of his family were remembering a happier time in their lives when they were flashing back to Eric's wedding to April while preparing to fight their war with New Bern. It was during one of their flashbacks that I also enjoyed hearing the peanut story Jake's grandfather told Stanley before the wedding started when they were sitting in the bar.

One scene that I thought was priceless was when Stanley and Bonnie brought Mimi to visit their parents' graves. While it was kind of somber the way he was telling them that it might be a while before they come back to visit their graves, I thought Stanley's description of Mimi when he introduced her to them to be priceless. It was also pretty comical the way Stanley reacted when Mimi told their parents that Stanley and Bonnie have been so kind by letting her live with them after all the bombs went off in the major cities.

After the war started, I thought it was pretty comical the way Johnston reacted to finding out about Hawkins' satellite computer by saying he was about to bomb the town that had the closest Costco. It was also neat the way Hawkins was willing to help Jericho after being found by the bad guys. I was also glad that the citizens of Jericho finally brought out their tank and used it against New Bern.

With that said, there were also a few parts that I didn't like: such as Johnston dying and the way New Bern was bringing in so many reinforcements that Jericho was more outnumbered than before. Another part that I didn't like was when Constantino told Jake that Jericho should give up the next wave of attacks while expressing his condolences about what happened to Johnston. Some of the only highlights of these parts was the way Emily comforted Jake and his response of "Nuts" to Constantino was absolutely priceless.

Despite Johnston's death in this episode and the cliffhanger ending, "Why We Fight" is one of my favorite episodes of the show.