Jesse Stone

Night Passage

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 2006 on CBS

• Abby Taylor Back From The Dead?

The first episode Stone Cold has Abby being killed. Now comes the 2nd episode and she is well and alive as Jesse gets his job for the first time.

Seems as though the first and second episodes need to be switched to second as first and first as second.

• Now this is awesome...

I know this is the second movie but it is a prequel and it only seems right to review this one first. Plus this was the first Jesse Stone movie that I ever saw so it fits. TV shows or movies that are based off of books are sometimes the best kind of TV show or movie. I really like a good crime or mystery drama every once in a while. I myself haven't read any of the books written by robert b. parker but I am planning on getting some in the near future. You can see from day one that Jesse makes an impact at his new job. You can also see that he is a litte strange but who isn't? This has everything humor, suspense,and drama the perfect fit for Tom Selleck.
  • Watch this one and you'll want to see more.

I am soooo glad I didn't tape over this movie from its original broadcast. I had forgotten what a finely-crafted film it was. In addition to the good points made by jamoon2006, I want to add that the cinematography matches anything found in the best theatrical flicks. Even a small screen gives a realistic sense of crossing the US or being in and around Paradise, MA. I particularly liked the rising vertical overhead shot of the seaside cliff. I had hoped there might be more installments in this franchise, but that's not soon likely with Tom Selleck now in a prime-time series. If you missed this, I highly recommend it as a rental.
  • A cop with a drinking problem loses his job in LA and accepts a new one, as Chief of Police" in a small east coast town. Hired because he would be "easy to manage" by the city council, he turns out to be smarter than they expected, or wanted.

Fantastic! I just happened on this by accident because I had run out of rental ideas. I put in the player thinking "ho hum. Let's see what we've got here." I was hooked right from the start! I loved it! After watching I immediately ordered the other available DVDs in the series. I love all the characters, the town, the plot development, the writing, the whole 9 yards. I just received "Stone Cold" and am looking forward to more excellence. I Highly recommend Jesse Stone to anyone! If you haven't seen Jesse Stone yet, go out and find it. You will not be sorry!
  • See how Jesse Stone left L.A. and got a new start in Paradise, Massachusetts...

"Night Passage" is a prequel to "Stone Cold," and explains how Jesse Stone became chief of police in Paradise. While the mystery element is a little lighter than the previous film, the cast is better and it's another strong entry in the Jesse Stone film series.

Saul Rubinek (Frasier), Stephanie March (Law & Order: SVU), Stephen Balwdin and Mike Starr guest star in a story that is more about Jesse and his journey than the money laundering. It's a departure from the book, where Hasty and his ilk are more malevolent and run a white supremacist paramilitary group. But Tom Selleck's performance is fantastic as he settles in to his new role and begins to see this as a chance for redemption. Watch his first appearance in the film, where he has had to pull over to the side of the road to sober up and his last shot, where he is surveying his new town. The arc of his character is great, and it sets up the films to come.

The dialogue, a lot of it lifted right from the novel, is golden...Robert B. Parker's unique style evokes film noir classics. And Jeff Beal's score (particularly Jesse's theme) is poignant and perfect as always.