Joan of Arcadia Forums

CBS (ended 2005)

Jesus?

alyssa01

[1]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 15

I have only just started on the second series but I couldn't wait to find the answer to my question. Was Jesus ever mentioned?

Did Joan ever ask about him or did God ever bring him up becouse if not then it seems like a rather large thing to omit not to mention that he could teach a little something to Joan about personal sacrafice.

Edited on 01/08/2009 2:49am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Junest

[2]Jan 8, 2009
    • level: 10
    True, but maybe they were trying to keep the possibility of there being no Jesus (ie, to be able to jive with Judaism). This is just a theory, mind you.

ernienet

[3]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 7

I'm not completely sure, but I believe Barbara Hall was a Buddhist. and Joan of Arcadia was extremely generic about who "God" was. I don't think this was so much political correctness as much as a more universalist mindset.

I don't recall any mention of Jesus specifically, however, I believe there might have been an allusion to a Son in dialog of an episode, but I couldn't tell you which one.

You might find a Bible study based on the two season's of Joan of Arcadia by searching either the Presebyterian or Methodist church (Google it). I think you can buy it online from one of them. It was created by one of there Sunday School directors.

Post any cool information you find!

paryah

[4]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 9
    If JoA's God all of a sudden got really heavy into the lore, I think I would have been turned off the show. Because then it becomes one reilgion's vision, ya know?

agent_0042

[5]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 66
    ernienet wrote:
    I'm not completely sure, but I believe Barbara Hall was a Buddhist. and Joan of Arcadia was extremely generic about who "God" was. I don't think this was so much political correctness as much as a more universalist mindset.

You're right about the show being very generic about "God," but according to this this, Barbara Hall is Catholic, not Buddhist. Or at least, she was.

soapieaddict23

[6]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 18

On imdb.com it says that Hall created ten commandments for the god of their show, and one of them is that God doesn't make any allusions to any religion being correct or anything like that. It was supposed to be left open, thus the non-Jesus. Which I'm glad of. As said previously, I would have been turned off by it being more religious. It leaves open the possibility of any religion.

singme_tosleep

[7]Aug 26, 2011
    • level: 9
    Barbara Hall is defiantly not a Buddhist. at the time of the show she was Roman Catholic. She was raised as a Methodist, but converted to Catholicism later in life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Hall_%28TV_producer%29
    That said, what soaplieaddict23 said is true, as she talks about the commandments on the DVD commentary.

imthemediagirl

[8]Sep 10, 2011
    • level: 12
    In the last episode when the evil guy came up I thought he was Jesus at first, because he didn't show his true nature until later in the episode.