Joan of Arcadia Forums

CBS (ended 2005)

show cancelled, is it true???

soulspike

[1]May 14, 2008
    • level: 11
    is it true this show got cancelled, i love this show, the recent one ive seen is when joan goes on a date with adam and that her friend dies, whats this episode called and whats the next episode called, i wanna watch it plus if the show got cancelled, what ep did it cancelle on
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

purplepansy

[2]May 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    show got cancelled about 3 years ago? and that episode you watched was called "Friday Night" im a UK viewer as well and that was the first season 2 epsiode i saw as im usually at college and miss them all but had the day off so got to see it! not happy about the time scheldule for this new series

angrodpallanen

[3]May 22, 2008
    • level: 22
    Well you did saw one of the best episodes of the series, but indeed, this show is long gone, but still in our hearts. Just thinking about it wants me watching it again.

marto_dd

[4]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 17
    But does it have a real series finale?

len90

[5]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    Unfortunately NO.

igotbupkis

[6]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 28
    A) The show made it two seasons.

B) I'm still in mourning.

. =======================================================================================

Unfortunately, the show is a particularly intelligent one for people who AREN'T particularly religious (or are filled with doubt, or have problems with the classic view of God).

It has issues with appealing to actually highly religious people. I won't detail them much, but the one PC sop, having God appear as a rather effete male, suggesting that it's ok to be gay is sure to annoy some religious types, with adequate Biblical argument on their side. I think it should have been either left as a topic-to-be-avoided (such as denominational issues, including judaism, Xtianity, and Islam) or confronted head on, with some sort of acknowledgement of what the Bible states but leaving the fact that it's between each person and God rather than something to be enforced by others.

That said, there was a movement by some Xtian groups to write-in to save the show (that is to say, I meant that the issues would certainly turn off a chunk of the religious audience, not all of them), which was on the cusp after the second season. Its initial popularity obviously surprised the hell out of CBS -- there's a reason they put it in the Friday Night Death Zone in the first place (remember, The Passion of the Christ came out in 2004, the first Narnia in 2005. Joan debuted in 2003).

Another issue -- God is not supposed to appear to anyone again, after Jesus, until the Second Coming -- i.e., there are no further prophets (including Mohammed) -- which I have no problem with in the context of the show, as it is certainly never claimed or suggested that Joan is a prophet -- but I know at least one person who cited the Biblical passage as an excuse to reject the show unseen, and yes, I think he's an idiot). So its basis can chase away part of the "obvious" audience, Xtians, while not making its appeal known to the actual target -- people open to belief but who have problems with the classic view of God. This show is very good for people who consider themselves Agnostic or even somewhat Athiestic, or who have Really Serious Doubts -- because I believe it presents a view of God which is more humanistic and rationalistic than many "official" views.

If the basis for your disbelief and doubt is associated with problems with the "classic view" of God, this show may provide you with a view you will find more acceptable to your own sense of Right And Wrong. I think that God, in this show, makes sense in light of the problems in this world. That can be a basis for Faith.

I'm not making any promises -- YMMV -- but I think it's a fantastic show, exceedingly well written, with excellent acting and characters, and it does address issues with God, and The Problems of the World (and why God may choose to not interfere) with a remarkable level of intelligence and wisdom. If you don't believe in God, you may, watching this show, find a view of God which you can respect and believe in.

At the very least, the show can be a good source of good late-night BS sessions in a college dorm about religion and its place in society. And that's not necessarily a bad way to find religion, either.
    Edited on 07/07/2008 11:10pm