Joan of Arcadia

Only Connect

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 24, 2004 on CBS

• Joan strives to ignore God and live what she considers a "normal" life after spending time at Gentle Acres and participating in therapy with Dr. Dan.

I was anxious to watch this episode after seeing how the 1st season finale ended with Joan doubting all the experiences she had with God in the entire season. I found Joan's difficulties very believable as she struggled to make everyone trust that she wasn't crazy. Adam's acceptance of Joan after reading about people who had talked to God was interesting because Joan is trying so hard not to trust herself and Adam finally believes her. The final moments of the episode where Joan talks to God, and he questions her about missing him are emotional. Joan's adjustment is central to the storyline, but I also found her father's problems with being sued powerful, especially as he relived past moments with Kevin. Of course, I was also glad to see Luke and Grace together since I wanted them to be together in the previous season, and Grace's reaction of keeping him a secret seems in keeping with her character. Overall, I feel like this episode was a good premiere, and it set up the stories for the season well.