Joan of Arcadia

CBS (ended 2005)

Gislef

Joan of Arcadia Fan Reviews (116)

• Horrible!

0.0
    I saw an episode of this show while on a plane to Hawaii. Why does it exist? It was just horrible and I feel stupid just for seeing one episode. I'm tired of having religion shoved down my throat. I'm an athiest and proud of it. I like Amber Tamblyn but she needs to focus on movies or get a better TV role. She was great as Tibby in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." I give that she doing her best work on this role but even the best actress ever couldn't make her likeable. Besides in real life, if you're having conversations with god it means you have some sort of mental illness.
  • How can someone mouth off to God and not get a lightning bolt on her ass?

1.3
    I tried watching this show a couple of times and one thing consistent I notice was how rude, sarcastic and downright hostile Joan gets towards God. Yet to the other human beings around her, she seemed quite nice.

Is this show trying to instill faith, hope or just tell people it's ok to question and shout at the Almighty? I just watched one where she was riled up at God saying her (Joan's mother) time was up and Joan scolded God saying how great it must be for Him to not have to worry about His end before stomping off into the car like a huffy spoilt brat who forgets how is she able to breathe without God's help.

Did Joan (if she was freaking real) remember who created her in the first place?

It feels like the writers or producers have a vendetta against faith. And the small little lessons included in each episode are just to show that hey we have a point here. Also with the world to take care of and bigger matters to think about, why would God take this little girl's abuse?

This show is low in entertainment value and sinking into the reality that we have become thankless human beings. If it means to portray how awful we can be as a person, then this show succeeded big time.
  • not a horrible show

to be honest when it first heard about this show, i thought why would anyone think this would work? but the first season was suprisingly good. the show got decent ratings and a small cult following. when i found out it was going to be cancelled i was a little bummed out. but amber tamblyn is a good actress and hopefully she will move on to bigger and better things.
  • A bit outrageous, but fine.

I must admit I do like the concept for this show.
    Have a different person (claiming to be God) appraoch a teenage girl and tell her to do several things.
    However, the coolness of this series is quickly shot down when a guy dressed in a hot dog costume gives her another assignment.
    Am I supposed to believe that God would pose as a guy wearing a hot dog costume? YIKES!
    But as I have said, the theory and concept is great and there is a heap of morality thrown in for you to comprehend.
    I'm not one to question the Big Guy, but I don't think a teenager is quite prepared to handle this type of duty. Perhaps God should have approached somebody a bit older and wiser...like the Pope!
  • PUH-LEASE! It's Cancelled For A Reason.

Think about it this way; Sure the show had a good message, a kind heart and who doesn't want to see God as some struggling Actor every week. But the reality is, if a warm show like this couldn't survive on CBS (the channel of Survivor and senior citizens) then it can't survive anywhere. This show also had a strong promotion on 'Eye on American' which is the programming they show on all American Airline flights of over two hours, not every show gets that. I am also a big fan of the Star of the show, she was great in 'The Ring' and 'The Sisterhood...' but she alone couldn't save the sow. The reality is the show was flawed and slightly boring. CBS gave it a chance, it sagged in the ratings and in this business you don't always have 2 seasons to make up for it. Dry your tears and be glad there's room for something better.
  • Joan gives Cry Me a River all new connotations…

I remember the first episode I watched, it started off pretty decent and I began to think this wasn’t so bad. I took my eyes off the screen for one minute to get a potato chip outta the bag and the next thing I know the chick had burst into tears.

I think Joan’s parents should put her on medication. She is ALWAYS crying – every episode! I swear her tear ducts must be as dry as the Sahara desert! I got so fed up with her “emotional” outbursts that I had to stop watching this series. She cries about everything.

Although the concept of the show is great and I do love all the other characters, Joan is just plain annoying. I swear if Joan spilt ketchup on a French Fry she’d burst into tears.
  • This show had to go. The storyline got so weak, it cannot possibly have been sustained any longer.

If this show had come a few years earlier it might have been appreciated more. As of now, I can kinda see why it was pulled off air. The show didnt have anything new to offer. Infact even the second season was pretty much a repeat of the first one. The basic storyline about God itself had a lot of weaknesses. The writers did not seem to be sure of exactly how they wanted to potray God. Also the continual change of appearance of the Almighty was interesting in the beginning but it got irritating towards the end of season 1 itself. The actors were good. Amber was very convincing in her role of the confused Joan. The actors playing her brothers and friends were suitable in their roles.

One of the characters most liked would probably be Will Gerrardi. He was the most consistent character. He stayed on the same route and you can expect him to be rational.
    I liked the character of Helen in the beginning. But in season 2 I couldnt wait for the camera to move from her! she was highly irritating. I feel the writer's attempts to make her the suporting and extremely likeable mother failed miserably. Being someone who generally connects really well with the 'mother' characters this was one mother I completely HATED! She had absolutely nothing to offer! She was the one who first decided to start an affair with her Ex, she cant stand the idea of her kids becoming independant, she's highly controlling and she never ever tries to sit and reason with her kids. Had she been a better mother then Joan would definitely have come and confided in her about her visions of God. She lives a totally unrealistic life. She is highly impractical, selfish and judgemental. To me she came across as one of those stupid women who convince themselves that they are so moral and right that they refuse to see things from others' point of view and are completely irrartional!
    Its tough to imagine how her husband can even stand her!

The show could have been better if there had been better if they had either stuck to making it a little lighter or more dark. As it was, it seemed to swing between the two never taking the plunge either way. It had potential, only the creators did not properly think what they wanted from the show before they started penning it down. The concept needed refining. They made God a little too hard. One could not exactly connect with it. God seemed unhelpful and uncaring. Also the devotion shown by Joan towards him was unrealistic. She never questions him at all! even in the beginning! it was like she was ready to believe it was God from the first time she saw him! Also when Adam cheated on her, God convinces her to supress her emotions which she does so readily! It seemed very weird. Her character became very spineless in season 2. She does not use her thinking process at all and seems to blindl follow orders.

The choice of actors was definately good. They did their roles great justice. Towards the end, it was the only nice thing about the series.
  • this is a show about a girl who sees god.

7.4
    two parent's teenage daughter has a relationship with god. she not only sees god in many different human forms, but she speaks to him and tries to do his will when he needs her help. alot of the time this show can be touching, and some of the time depressing, but in my little expirience watching it it made for a pretty decent hour of television. the only thing I did find odd was that alot of the time joan was really sarcastic and ignorant towards god in his human form. she always did his will, i guess and that was what really mattered in the show.
  • A pretty good show.

A drama that has a really nice premise. This is a very unique show that almost have the same tone as touch of an angel, but this is far more superior than that. It's not a dumb show, there's a little supernatural twist in the plot, but the show centers around joan and her family. There are some episodes that are way too sappy to watch. But many episodes are really good, they are filled with adventures that Joan experiences in her world. This show is good, it's not boring like touch by an angel. i enjoy watching this show, it's pretty good.
  • Joan of Arcadia is a good show and networks need more patience.

I thought Joan of Arcadia was a great show. I am not a religious person, but you don’t need to be to appreciate this show. I loved God appearing as different people, especially when it was an unconventional person. This show was a drama, comedy, and educational about religion with out be judgmental; that’s a first!

The actor’s are incredible. Amber Tamblyn was perfect for this part. She may very well be the first normal looking teenager on television.

I am very disappointed not to be able to see the conclusion to the story line. That was one of the best parts of the show. There was a seasonal story line, each episode had a story line, plus very complex characters. It doesn’t get much better than that.

CBS should know better than to cancel a show like this. I thought NBC was the only cancel crazy network. Give good shows more time, the ratings will come.
  • I love learning about the opinions of and from a variety of religions and cultures their ideas about the way the universe functions...

7.9
    I love learning about the opinions of others and from a variety of religions and cultures including their ideas about the way the universe functions... In many countries of the world I have interacted with common folk who are almost always very nice and hospitable, especially if politics is left at the door, and even religion.

The ripple-effects all actions have on who knows how many or when, is a great concept to ponder, or not. The interpretations of life and purposes of/for, or lack thereof, that we have as groups and individuals and nations are all interesting philosophies of life. This show gave us an inkling of what might be involved, not. The interpersonal tolerance and other-centered behavior concepts are curious, and attractive, to factor in to all we do, or not. The interactions of believers and non-believers and where boundaries are set concerning when to argue a point and when to quit are set in an array of examples that is well thought out.
    I just watched the DVD boxed set from start to finish. I liked its simplicity and occasional irreverence. Learning about the basic goodness of most people gives one great confidence to travel anywhere and enjoy any culture. The police aspect of the dad, as a cautionary contrast, keeps one from being careless but also shows that 99% of the average homes anywhere in the world would welcome you into their homes with open arms. I have myself done it with great satisfaction.
  • Joan of Arcadia is about a high school girl who encounters God (literally) daily.

7.9
    I loved Joan of Arcadia. It was touchy but not in a cheesey way. It was a great combination of drama, comdedy, and spirituality. It honestly touched on some really deep issues like: \"If god is all loving why is there pain?\" and does good and evil literally exist? The drama could really suck you in; I would look forward to the next episode to see how events would unfold. The comedy was clever - not slapstick or silly. Most importantly the characters were excellently developed. I really don\'t understand why this show was canceled. Really a Shame. Hopefully more shows like this will come out.
  • Joan of Arcadia is about Joan a girl who talks to God and sees him in different forms of people. And he asks her to do things for him like help out a friend.

Joan of Arcadia is about a girl who sees God in different forms of people, like a junitor, a goth kid, a punk rock kid, park ranger. He asks her todo things like help a friend out, try out for the musical, baby-sit a kid, and work at a bookstore. They all have ripples, and Joan helping out changes things for better, even if she can't see what happends because of it. I think this is a pretty good show to watch. I like the characters they have, her brothers Luke and Kevin, Grace, Adam, Frediman, Judith, Glynis, the teachers, and all the different Gods the come around. I would have liked to seen the next season to find out about the big test was going to happen, but the show got canceled.
  • ... and for something a little different, we have this show where God talks to a high-school girl ...

If you've read anything about Joan of Arcadia you've probably read that it's not Touched by an Angel. That's because Touched by an Angel is probably the first show that people think of when they hear Joan of Arcadia's premise. In case you're not familiar with the premise, Joan is the middle daughter of the Girardi family who've just moved into the town of Arcadia California. Dad is the chief of police, older brother Kevin was disabled in a car accident a year ago and Joan talks to God. Literally. God appears to Joan in human form and gives her errands to run. Really. Yes, Joan also thinks she's going crazy at first.

So the spiritual basis of the show is why audiences would immediately think Touched by an Angel but the shows really are not much alike. Joan of Arcadia does feature God as a major player but He's a sort of generic God that will be easily accepted by people who are of various religious faiths and by those who don't adhere to any particular religious beliefs. When Joan asks if He's the God of the Old Testament he explains that he came across better in the New Testament and the Koran. He looks quite human, He explains, because that's a form that Joan can understand and accept. Asked to perform a miracle He merely points to a tree and says "I'd like to see you make one." And He's really not into answering questions. He prefers to ask them and to set Joan about various tasks without really explaining Himself.

The show's not really about God, or at least any particular version of God, but rather a show about a girl growing up. It's an interesting premise and with just the slightest willingness on the viewer's part you'll be able to jump right in and go with it. Amber Tamblyn in her first starring role does an excellent job as the teen who just wants to fit in only to be confronted with a situation that'll just make her stick out. The pilot, in addition to dealing with Joan's new conversations with God, has dad Will dealing with a possible serial killer on the loose, mom Helen wondering why God could allow people to suffer and how to encourage Kevin to get on with his life and geeky Luke performing scientific experiments in his bedroom. Is it all related some how to God's task of the week for Joan? Joan of Arcadia is crafted well enough that it'll be up to the viewer to decide.

Is there room on TV for a show in which God – in various human forms – is a featured player? I'm not sure. But Joan of Arcadia is a well-written, well performed coming of age drama that probably deserves a look.

• Joan of Arcadia is a nice, but overdramatic show about an oridinary girl who gets guided through her high-schooldrama's by God.

I would describe Joan of Arcadia as 'way too dramatic'. I always figure it's just written by people who actually want to be writers at shows such as As the World Turns.
    Still, Joan of Arcadia does qualify for me as a good show, because it posesses all the stuff a cool show needs; humor, action and drama.
    Every week, God, in the form of just a normal man or woman, gives Joan a small tip of how to do things. She always follows his tips and most of the times, that gets her into trouble, but it always turns out to be right, and Joan learned something new and important about life.
  • This is a great show that I watched all the way from the first episode.

Joan of Arcadia is a great drama and family show. It talks about a great family doing everyday things in their bizzare life. We have Will Geradi, the Chief of Police, who is a kind-hearted guy who at first is loaded by his new position in Arcadia. The police had had a bad reputation before Will came, and now he is coming to fix it.

16-year old Luke is a science wiz and general geek at school. He often fights with Joan and is a genius at school.

Then there is Joan's oldest brother, Kevin, who was going to college on a sports scholarship when he got into a tragic car accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. During the first season he is struggling with his wheelchair, but eventually gets a job with the newspaper.

Then there is Joan, the middle child, who one day meets a cute guy who just also happens to be God. Joan, who can't believe what is happening, is often visited by God and told to do certain tasks and talk to certain people. She doesn't understand it, and her family finds her a little odd.

This family drama is great and fun to watch, it never gets old.
  • Once again the nerdy outcasts are better looking than most schools’ popular kids.

Joan Girardi is a friendly, reasonably polite, funny, attractive girl who no one likes. God talks to her sometimes and tells her to help people. Unfortunately God appears as different people, so Joan doesn’t always know the stranger giving her instructions is the Big Guy.

JofA is another example of a brilliant, well written show with a great group of actors that was cancelled to make room for a show that will surely disappoint in comparison.

In spite of a very good cast (her family Joe Montegna, Michael Welch, Jason Ritter and Mary Steenburgen) Amber Tamblyn carries this show. If she doesn’t get another starring role soon, someone is not doing heir job in the casting business. It would be nice if this show was picked up on a cable network or direct to syndication, but it doesn’t look like that will happen.

Get it on DVD, it’s great.
  • Joan of Arcadia was really a great show that ended way to soon. The script was amazing; I could not believe some of the things that happened on the show.

Joan of Arcadia was really a great show that ended way to soon. The script was amazing; I could not believe some of the things that happened on the show. For instance, the event at the end of the second season was a major terrific cliffhanger. It is sad to know there will not be a third season and everyone will be left up in the air as to what happened. Hopefully, somehow this show will be picked up and will be able to finish off it fantastic new story plot. All of the fans are dying to know what is going to happen to Joan and definably need some kind of resolution for the series.

The acting from every character was spectacular and astonishing too. Amber Tamblyn is brilliant as Joan and I do not see anyone else could bring that character to life. This is defiantly a smarter and more well rounded show than any other drama. Everything was becoming better and better as the series was beginning to age. Maybe a real miracle will occur for the fans of this show and we will be able to see another season.
  • Joan of Arcadia was a family show that depicted a typical teenager (Joan) and her family dealing with normal problems, and some more challenging ones. Joan discovers that she is being contacted by God Himself, but in the forms of different people she enco

Joan of Arcadia was not an overtly religious show. But it did deal with religion and more especially, Faith. The show either was closely watched and enjoyed, or was found to be blasphemous by some and criticised. I felt that the shows were often true to the nature of God in my opinion, and certainly had a lesson for all of us. But as a Christian, I also felt that a few shows may have crossed the line. I understood how Evangelicals may have been offended. Since the show was basically written by Hollywood, there were instances where Christian concepts were not accurately portayed. I felt at times that the things that God was asking of Joan were unfair and that God had not equipped Joan sufficiently to do what was asked of her. That bothered me, but I continued to watch. I felt that, all faith aside, the characters were great and the acting superb. I was sad that the show ended and heaved a sigh that Hollywood feels that we need yet another "ghost" or "sixth-sense" show. Joan of Arcadia was definitely controversial, but it had so much potential. The last few episodes had been dealing with Joan being faced with false prophets and Satanic forces. I am not sure if the show would have gone below it's depth here and floundered, but it was very brave for the show to even touch on those concepts. So, I feel that this show was definitely underappreciated.
  • A slowpaced teen age melodrama, yet, a surprisingly well thought out story.

Joan, Joan, Joan, it's all about Joan.

Joan of Arcadia? What a strange name. Obviously a reference to Joan of Arc for those crazy catholics out there, I being one. That's one strike against the show, surely it has a Catholic bias. Oh, and it's another teen/family drama; that's gotta ge at least two. Three strikes, you're outta here!

I recently picked up the first season bc let's be honest, I found it for $20 and was in a definate need of a pick-up. I've since watched the entire collection, and I've been a little skeptical.

First off, don't expect fast pacing, until what was possibly going to be season 3. Season one is especially slow pacing, but I think that's what it was designed to be. It's like writing the prelude to a deep genre, it's going to be slow if you take the time to explain instead of jumping right in like Lost.

Unlike Touched by an Angel I didn't feel overwhelmed by the Christian myths and smothering morality. Things are reactive, only happening when they're expected to.

Don't go in expecting explosions and great miracles of God, but instead look for the ripples, and you might find a fairly decent show.
  • A perfect gem of a show that didn't get a chance!

This was one of those wonderful shows that the entire family could watch. The characters were likable, true-to-life and showed what a "real" family should be like. The extra "God" equation was thought provoking and heartwarming. I think this one will be truly missed. Let's get rid of some of the other misses that are being aired and bring back the hits!
  • A show about joan a girl who get mission from god. God comes to her in the from of different people. Her dad is cop her is a art teacher her younger brother is a science geek and her older brother is paralyzed. her friends are adam and grace.

A show about joan a girl who get mission from god. God comes to her in the from of different people. Her dad is cop her is a art teacher her younger brother is a science geek and her older brother is paralyzed. her friends are adam and grace. this show is a little bit confusing but it keeps you interested. It makes you see how everything happends for a reason. You never know how god is going ask Joan to do next. I love this show and I wish they did take it off the air after just the season two.
  • The beauty of this show lies in its ability to make compelling drama that teaches life lessons without the heavy-handedness that can often be brought in to shows using religious themes.

Television entertainment has begun scraping the bottom of the barrel in recent times. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching tv now more than ever. However, I often use television in the same way I use video games: as a method of escape. Rare is the show that makes me reflect on my inner self in any serious capacity. Joan of Arcadia is one of the few shows currently on tv that manages to consistently get me thinking about my self, my life, and my actions.

The main protagonist is a young high school girl named Joan. She comes from an average suburban, middle class family. Her father is a police officer while her mother is an art teacher at her high school. Her older brother is a handicapped young reporter writing for the local newspaper while her younger brother is the scientific genius of the family. Joan is a normal high school girl with all the high school problems you would expect for one: God speaks to her on a regular basis.

The name and premise of the show is derived from the famous Catholic historic tale of Joan of Ark. Just as the fabled Maid of Orleans, modern-day Joan converses with God who gives her missions to complete. As she is in high school, these missions often take on a form which involve some unwanted interaction with her school, her friends, or her family. While in school she is often seen as a geek or a freak for her frequent unexplained acts. And at home her family ends up taking the extreme step of sending Joan to "crazy camp" to deal with her "heavenly" conversations. Conflict within her family further arises when her mother decides to re-dedicate herself to the Lord; a subject which deeply disturbs her father who is a very cynical disbeliever.

The script is thorough and well-written. While some of the conflicts Joan has to deal with are typical of high school students, the show's writers do an excellent job of innovatively expressing their message. Often God will deliberately place Joan in tough situations so she can learn one more truth about herself. The show places an emphasis not on the solution to conflicts that arise, but rather on the conceptual issues surrounding the problem itself. For today's television this is a refreshing way of analyzing dramatic issues. Often today's shows focus on the resolution instead of the ideas and concepts surrounding the problem. Indeed, as viewers, we are often more focused on the resolution ourselves.

The cast performs admirably in positions than in other shows would be seen as cliched and banal. While the characters themselves are all composites of character-types we have already seen in television, the actors perform their parts fairly convincingly without going overboard.

Indeed, this show has little downfalls except for something which has only recently appeared. In the show, God has traditionally been a transient character who appears in every episode (always as a different individual) as Joan's guide through life. However, more recently it has been revealed that he has a master plan for her to fight evil directly. While this does bring some cohesion to the show as it brings on a more permanent "bad guy" to the show, it could also serve to do the show a major disservice. Once the show begins to go deeper in to Joan's battles against evil the audience may become more disconnected from the show. The potential for the show to move further and further away from reality is something that is now looming on the horizon.

Joan of Arcadia's strength lies in its close ties to reality despite the added element of fancy which God may (or may not) bring in to the picture. I would be loathed to see the show begin losing touch with one of the very things which make it stand out from most other shows on television.
  • Another Great Show before its time

Time for a remake - this was a great show and would fit in with today's favourited genre.
  • An excellent show exploring concepts of God and the connectivity we share with others without eluding specifically to any religious doctrine. Started off as a somewhat strange premise to me but grew on me rather quickly.

I think that this show really endeared itself to me rather quickly despite my initial impressions of crossing a police drama with a spiritual teen drama. After a few episodes, it seemed that the production settled well into its premise and repeatedly foreshadowed ideas not expressed until later in the show. Though presenting at least 2 (?) religious approaches, the show did not connect itself to them at least from the prospective of a teen girl carrying on a relationship with God. Casting was great and each character really began to take on 3 dimensional aspects of their own. I sometimes disapproved of ultimate plots designed for at least two characters from the show but as a whole am glad to have watched it.

A strange deviation in concept planned for a 3rd season, it is truly a shame as I even still would have enjoyed seeing it. Personally, I cannot imagine how the new concepts would be approached...
  • Joan of Arcadia is just not the typical teenage drama,it's a masterpiece.

One of the deepest shows television has ever had.It showed us the true emotions of life,showed us how hard the life is and that it is so hard to fit into it.The show has totally a hreatwarming note and tells us that the life is tough but there is always someone who can be good and who can help you.
    Joan is young and confused teenager who can talk to God.It is controversial if the voice of God is just in her head.The show shows us how confused are the nowadays teenager and that the voice of God can be just some precaution for Joan.
    Her life is tougher because of her family.Her older brother is paralysed and depressed.His story is one of the deepest of a paralyzed man I have watched on television.Every story of this series has something to say to everyone.The paralyzed boy storyline shows everyone that noone should loose their hope and to believe that wonders can happen.
    Joan's younger brother is a jerk and tries to fit into the high school teen life.
    Joan's father is, I don't remember clearly,something connected with the police and his job is hard enough to handle a family.
    It's a great series that have been praised both by the viewers and the critics.It's surprising how a somehow teen oriented show is nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series but it truly shows the series's potenitial.And the performance of Amber Tamblyn is one of the greatest I have seen in my life so far.She is also nominated for Emmy and Golden Globe.
    A perfect series with great actors,characters and storylines.
  • A young girl that talks to God and thinks she is crazy for doing so. Why do bad things happen in life?

I identify with Joan, as I was one of few school age children in my junior high and high school that attended church and wasn’t afraid to talk about it. Why do bad things happen? This is a question that stands out in most people lives and I think that the station that played and cancelled ‘Joan of Arcadia’ didn’t let the show play out this question to the best of it’s ability or to the end.
  • Joan talks to God.

I LOVE this show. What a great concept of an ordinary girl who carries out God's commands to teach her a lesson. She communicates with God who takes the form of different people to guide Joan to become a better person and to change the people and circumstances around her.

Even though Joan questions God, everything that he asks of her to do always have a reason, a reason that Joan sees at the end product of her quest - a value of something to be gained. Something that most of us in the real world forget to do.
  • The story of a girl who talks to God and her family. Through "suggestions" from God, she finds out what one person can do with their life and makes some wonderful friends.

Well written, wonderfully acted. Five months after cancellation, I still miss it. I think I\\\'ll always wonder what would have happened to the Girardi family and friends. Totally worth the cost of the dvds. This cast brought every character to life and the writers really made you think about your life and what you could do with it.
  • One of the best shows and CBS gives it the axe. Shame on you!

This was one of the more original and thought-provoking shows on television. I enjoyed the show and the expected converstations that would rise from it. Whether it was in church or at the office the following Monday, the themes in the show were usually devoid of the trials and tribulations of network agendas and full of life and death questions we ask ourselves everyday.

They had just started with the 'devil' character when they pulled the plug and it makes me sick to think that I'll never know how it ends.

Think of all that's happening in the world right now and how a show that provides such strong and useful means for escape might have been used.

Sad, sad and more sad.