Joey and the Christmas Party

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Dec 15, 2005 on NBC

• Alex kissing someone else at the end as Joey watches through the window. Too much like Friends!! Eugh!

Ok where do I start? First of all I found it extremely difficult to pick a classification for this episode because it was hillarious and on top form as usual, but let down by one crucial point - Joey and Alex did not get together! Now I am not just saying this because I am disappointed that they didn't get together in this episode, period, it was the way that they didn't get together. Instead of Joey going out and Alex (in character!) sitting alone in her apartment she was with that sleaze. As the snow falls down we see Joey, shocked, surprised, saddened, watching her through the window - very Friends! How many Ross and Rachel moments have we seen that ended like this, Rachel at the airport early on in the show, Ross walking into the hospital room and Joey with the ring etc etc etc....

The strength of Joey is that it is not like Friends. Now I will admit the first few episodes of the first season were hard going, but once Joey became successful and broke out of the down and out New York actor guise it really took off. We had seen struggling actor Joey, it had been done, in just the same way that these type of closing scenes have been done to death, now it is time for something else. I think a lot of people don't like Joey because it is not Friends, but in truth it is far better and it will only stay that way if it avoids repeating Friends cliches.

All that said though, with the exception of the closing scene this was an excellent episode as usual. Zach is just so hilalrious, perfect to bounce off Joey, Gina - fantastic, Michael chatting a girl up talking about his mom's body - classic! A top class episode of a top class comedy and I hope there are many more to come!