Joey

Joey and the Valentine's Date

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 2005 on NBC

• Joey and the Below Average Episode

It's not so much that this episode was "bad", but it was more predictable than the show usually is. And it's not that predictability in a sitcom is necessarily a bad thing. Joey is about as safe as it gets when it comes to half-hour comedies, but there's safe and then there's "the monkeys at the typewriters actually work!"

We know that everytime Joey tries to get out of his relationship with Judy, it's going to backfire and only get him in deeper. And the puppy-love actions of Judy are border-line painful to watch, as it should be because obviously we're supposed to side with Joey and not think that maybe these two should be together.

That being said, I do think that the supporting storylines pick up a good amount of slack, although they both fail to reach a satisfying comical conclusion. With Gina and Alex, I thought hearing Alex's confession was pretty hilarious but I wasn't too impressed with Gina's tap-dancing.

As for Michael and his gal-pals, that petered out even faster with no moves to further see Michael's complete ineptitude with women.

Following the excellent "Joey and the Tonight Show", the shortcomings of this episode come through crystal clear.