Joey

NBC (ended 2006)

WWSista

Joey Fan Reviews page 9 of 10

• After a great show named "Friends", "Joey" may come as a rebound but it is still funny for god sake it's Joey Tribianni.

After a great show named "Friends", "Joey" may come as a rebound but it is still funny for god sake it's Joey Tribianni. I know people still have doubts about the show but if you are a sitcom freak like me, you can see it is a decent half hour average sitcom that makes you laugh and hangs a couple of catch scenes in your head. As a matter of fact, I don't wait for an annually emmy-winning show. Sitcoms cannot be original because they are called sitcoms. Joey is a great show that with all the supporting characters it becomes a decent time-filler.
  • Joey....Friends glory still keeping him alive.

As much as i loved Friends, this spin-off from my point of view is useless. I mean sometimes its a bit funny and brings you back to the good ol days with friends, but then most of the time its just unoriginal and not as entertaining. Joey needs, some sort of guest appearences from the original friends or some new type of theme. Who knows, maybe it'll start kicking and show some signs of life, but for now, Joey is not as big of a show as the network wanted it to be, although it can be givin time to improve.
  • Its better than decent but its not Friends but a great Show regardless

One of my Favorite New shows last years was Joey. It is a spin off pf NBC’s Mega-hit Friends. Matt LeBlanc retains his role that made him a household name and is joined by Soprano’s star and Emmy winner Drea DeMateo. While it doesn’t have the same charm as its predecessor the new writers do a great job of giving Joey new stories. Only this time the premise is that Joey has moved on in his acting career to Los Angeles to live and his sister lives near by and Joeys nephew moves in and hilarity ensues. It really is a funny show for everyone but friends fans who fell in love with the Joey character can still get thier fill Thursday’s on NBC
  • Joey is pretty funny. But it's not quite the same thing as Friends. It is a great subsitute though!

Joey is about the hilarious character Joey from Friends, and what he does after he leaves the gang in New York and goes to live with his sister and nephew in Hollywood. It's not quite as funny as Friends, but it does make you laugh! If you loved Friends, you will probably like Joey.
  • In conclusion I hope Joey keeps improving because we\\\'re running out of good comedys out there since the Big Wigs at the studio\\\'s want to save money and put on Crap like those reality shows. Thats the biggest joke on the planet.

Yes, I would say this show definately needs some fine tuning. May be they should bring in Marta Koffman and David Crane. This season had some good episodes and scenes especially with Joey and Alex. I\\\'m not too crazy about his agent she\\\'s just too wierd and whats the deal with her lips when she talks. I like Estell better she was nutty but tasteful. So far (as with most of the viewers) Joey definately needs that certain spark that will keep me coming back for more. Don\\\'t get me wrong this is a very funny show but there are a lot of funny shows out there that don\\\'t make it past the first or second season and in my opinion it\\\'s because of the relationships between the characters. \\\"Friends\\\" took a gamble when they broke up Ross and Rachel and every time I watch the reruns (DVD\\\'s) I hesitate then go through with it and while it\\\'s sad they made it funny and that\\\'s hard to do.
  • Good show, lots of potential

Let's face it, people: this show was never going to be Friends; it was never going to be as good s Friends. Instead, this show should be looked at as an entirely new show: forget comparisons with Friends, this is Joey in a completely new setting with completely new characters, and for a relatively new show it's not as bad as many think.

The character of Joey will always be great, and the new supporting cast built around him are all very funny, particularly nephew Michael. The plots of the episodes are what you'd expect; not unique but still very well-crafted. The show is funny and well-written, and has been fairly consistent throughout the first season. It's flawed, but so was The Simpsons in season 1. This show has a lot of potential, let's hope it gets a chance to use it.

Recommended. Hopefully the second season will improve on the first.
  • Joey is not the same without his friends, but you must look at this as a whole new world. People change...

7.8
    When I first saw this show I was really worried what it may become. Joey is no longer with his friends and it's time for him to move on. Everybody knows that they can't stay together forever.

Now, Joey moves to Los Angeles in order to pursue his Hollywood career. Being the same Joey as always, it probably won't happen that soon. While trying to become a star, Joey moves into a new apartment (which is absolutely great), in a peaceful neighbourhood with his cousin Michael (Paulo Constanzo). Michael is a very smart person, more like a geek, who is everything that Joey isn't - smart and has trouble with girls, or better to say - he has no experice with Friends although he is already 20. That makes him just perfect to be in Joey's company.

Also, there is Gina (Drea DeMatteo), Michael's mother and Joey's sister, who is always wacky and stupid like Joey, but I believe she has the worse character on the show. I ain't saying that she is bad - it's just that other characters are better than her. She is a mother with breast implants, funny, but also a little stupid like Joey.

Then, there is Alex (Andrea Anders), Joey's good-looking neighbour, that is married, but she if perfect for Joey. Alex is a woman in her 30s, a little insecure, but a good character that fits well in Joey's company.

And, in the end, there is Bobbie (Jennifer Coolidge), Joey's new agent that is really wacky. Joey never had a normal agent and Bobbie is just continuing what Estelle was doing in "Friends". Her character always makes me laugh. She appears in only half episodes of the season and her appereances are mostly short. Maybe that is what makes her so special.

This show is just going into season 2. The freshman years is over and mostly people did not accept it very good, but just like it was said before - you can't continue comparing it with "Friends". Joey changes a bit, but always stays stupid and funny.

Maybe next season it will all be toned down a bit.

Rating: 7.8/10
  • Joey needs New York.

7.8
    Without Rachel, Pheobe, Monica, Ross and Chandler Joey is just a 30 year old actor. He is no longer funny, the food jokes are getting old, and I hate to say it but his face expressions no longer amuses me. After finding out NBC renewed the show I'm hoping the put new spins on it. As well I think that Joey needs David Crane and Marta Kauffman, without them joey is not amusing to watch. I think NBC should pull the show but every deserves a secod chance. Maybe a couple of guest apperances but Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer, Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow would make it whole.
  • The bomb hits on NBC.

"Joey was a great character on Friends. Maybe we could put thim in a spin-off called "Joey!" He'll move to L.A with his sister and her sister's son and Joey meets girls! It'll be great!" That's as much thought put into Joey. Why do people enjoy this? The name of the show is basic and to the point and yet boring. It's obvious it's about Joey. But what's next? "Ross", "Rachel", "Monica". Everything in the show is innapropiate. And it's another TV14 NBC letdown. I don't know about you but I don't really like this show. I give this a 6.5 because the episodes are great. But I left out the other 3.5 was because the concept is weak and because the material is too TV14. I'm on the road to being ahsamed of this show. Another season fo this. And BEEW!!!!!!!......BOOM! The bomb strikes on NBC. Not only is Joey going downhill fast but so is NBC along with it.
  • Why We Need This Friend

In its first season, the Friends' spinoff Joey took a lot of flack for not being as successful as its origin-program. So before we go any further, let's just put this out there right now: Joey lasted an entire season, which is more than I can say for the TV careers of that other hugely-successful 90s show, Seinfeld. Granted, none of those shows had the benefit of being an actual spinoff, but you would think that three talented people like Michael Richards, Julia-Louis Dreyfuss, or Jason Alexander might be able to pull at least one full season.

But back to Joey, the show deserves kudos for not retreating into the Friends cast for ratings. Low ratings are shameful; going back for your parents help is embarassing. What's more, Joey is a good show. It's at the exact same level as Friends in terms of hilarity: it's predictable, but punchy. It's the base-level of what a sitcom needs to be. Not every half-hour comedy needs to reinvent the genre. Shows like Arrested Development and Entourage are brilliant, but sometimes you just need a safe, comfortable half-hour of laughs and there are few choices better than Joey.

Now a lot of Friends fans probably ranked Joey Tribbiani near the back-end in terms of their favorite characters, but that doesn't make him unfunny or unwatchable. Joey's a very lovable character because he's a 35-year-old with the priorities of a teenager and the heart of a child.

However, Joey alone could not carry a show and I think that this spinoff works because it has such a strong supporting cast. Of course, the biggest name attached is Drea De Matteo as Joey's sister Gina. Despite her fantastic work on The Sopranos, I think De Matteo is working with a poor character in this show. It's not that she's unfunny, but Gina seems to be someone who takes pride in being verbally abused. The writers probably want to make her come off as someone who's comfortable with who they are despite the lack of social graces, but it seems like if any of the criticisms leveled at her were spoken by anyone other than Joey, it would be hurtful and ugly. In season two, can we give Gina some real pride?

The two successes of the supporting cast are Andrea Anders as Joey's neighbor Alex and Paulo Costanzo as Joey's nephew/Gina's son Michael. Alex could have been insanely irritating and pathetic and Michael could have just been a Chandler-clone, but instead both actors really have a good sense of their characters and how to take the comedic flaws of each and use them to their full potential. Some of my favorite moments of the first season were seeing Michael choose Brent Spiner over losing his virginity or Alex screaming at Joey to put on a helmet for his motorcycle ride to NBC.

Jennifer Coolidge is a tough call as Joey's agent, Bobbie. On the one hand, Coolidge is even creepier and more inept than Joey's past (and now dead) agent Estelle, but because she's more present than Estelle, she constantly begs the question of why Joey just doesn't fire her and get a better agent. Also, Coolidge's frighteningly large face just creeps me into tiny pieces. Still, she does manage to deliver some great lines although I do think she could have better comedic interaction with her co-stars.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Ben Falcone as Joey's cartoonish neighbor Howard. He's so incredibly awkward and Falcone has amazing comic timing with Howard's lines and facial expressions.

I honestly believe that Joey is a worthy successor to Friends. It's comfortable, it's safe, it's funny, and it's clear to see where it gets it from.

Here's hoping that season two gets the love that the first season deserved.
  • Joey's is back, and ready for action!

Joey decided to leave his FRIENDS in New York, to start a new life in Los Angeles. He meets up with his sister, Gina, and her son, Michael. Now in Hollywood, Joey is looking to get his big break since leaving. "Days of Our Lives".

I like this show. It's funny. I hope it last several more years.
  • I don't know why the show has fallen short to many people's expectation.

I don't know why the show has fallen short of many people's expectation. At first, I was sceptical about the new series, because "Friends" was so close to me I could not imagine how this could be continued without the rest of the characters. But as I was watching it, I think they did a great job, I really had the unexpectedly pleasant surprise about "joey".
    I hope they will continue!

• Joey is a faboulous well ploted show with intriguing characters.

In my opinion Joey is an underappreciated show as recent ratings show,why would such a brilliant show be lacking viewers.Come on people you should be watching Joey instead of overrated shows like American Dad and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.Joey has some quality characters like Gina and her son Micheal not to say Joey isnt the best character.Plot lines have been great like when his sister comes to visit and ends up staying for a short peroid of time,how Joey actually sticks to one woman,wow that was a shocker and how every time Joey gets an interview for a job which always gets screwed up by Joeys agent.That brings me on to my final comment how can you resist not laughing at Jennifer Coolidge(joeys agent) with her comical mistakes and her undying love for Joeys nephew, Micheal.So Joeys famous saying 'How you doing' should be changed to 'What are you doing',you people who dont watch Joey.
  • Joey has much potential bur needs a little tweeking.

If you loved the sitcom Friends then you should enjoy the spin off Joey. After Monica and Chandlar have their babies, Ross and Rachel get back together, and Phebee marries Mike - Joey is left all alone. When Friends finally takes it's last bow Joey moves to L.A. to jump start his career. Joey moves into a nice apartment with his nephew and lives across the hall from his hot, "sheltered", land-lord. The first season has a rough time getting started but if you stick it out I think you will like Joey. A peice of advice that I offer to you is do not expect to see Friends. This show is its own and if watched with an open mind you might fall in love. Hopefully the second season will be stronger than the first.
  • After leaving New York, for LA to live with his sister, nephew and friends, Joey experiences LA at its finest. But how does this compare to the New York antics of Joey Tribbiani?

I personally love Joey, although its not as good as Friends, but in my opinion nothing can be, it still has the feel of it. Also the characters are so colourful yet real that it makes the show very enjoyable. Joey\'s agent, Bobby, is a fantastic character, which brings some Phoebe-esque aspects to the show. Drea de Matteo plays Gina excellently, and Matt le Blanc plays off her very well. Throughout season one a real relationship is brought together between these characters. I enjoy this show immensely and I am thrilled we will have at least one more year of Joey, Gina, Michael, Alex and Bobby.
  • Joey is nothing without his other freinds.

Oh Boy! Joey, what can i say about this...other than the fact that the producers were probably drunk when they decided to make a Friends spin-off about Joey without his friends.

Let's face it, this show should have never existed in the first place. Joey Tribiani was probably your favorite character on Friends. I mean he was funny, good looking, and stupid, but that's why we all loved him. But we lovED him, which means we don't anymore.

When Freinds ended I was very dissapointed. But then I found out that there was going to be a Freinds spin-off entitled Joey. And I was excited as you might have been as well, until we actually saw it. The show was oh so very bad. It had no point to it. I didn't even laugh to the parts that were supposedly supposed to be funny. Joey has been a major blow to NBC and it will hurt any toher network that decides to play the re-runs.
  • Sadly, Joey is not Joey without Friends

Don't get me wrong, I love Joey (the character), but it just gets painful and boring to watch Joey mess up for half an hour. The problem with this show is that Joey is fun, but for the first 5 minutes. After that it just gets lame.

What made Joey so special in friends was the mix between all of the rich characters, in Joey its gets boring watching him doing the same old jokes over and over again.

If you ask me I would say the show just got lucky that its going to have a second season. Only hardcore Friends fans watch this.

A decent show.
  • A funny show with relationships that are too forced.

Now I enjoyed Friends like most people and when Joey hit the TV I was watching it religiously.

I enjoyed it very much.

But with most things that are good you always notice downsides and I would say its the forced relationships put into the series. What I mean is you had Ross being Monica's sister, Rachel being Monica's high school friend and so on. Although in Joey there is the brother and sister, nephew and uncle its really forced to just make up casting numbers. With more exploration into individual pasts and relationships possibly between Joey and Gina from Childhood it may become a top notch show.

Still looking forward to Seires 2 anyway
  • Just not the same without his friends.

7.6
    "Joey" is a spin off of the show "Friends". While one of my favorite characters from Friends is back, it just doesn't feel the same. The very talented actors of Friends left and were replaced by mediocre actors. The writing seemed to have slipped also both in jokes and plot lines. If a few changes were made however, this show could be a great hit. Hopefully things will improve and it will last a long while. I recommend this show to people who were huge fans of Friends and Matt Leblanc. I hope one day Joey will get to see his old friends once in a while.
  • great transfer.

The Character did a great transfer to L.A. A lot of us know spin-offs don't do well, beside from a few. I think this show has a different aim at comedy and I like it. I really think Alex is a great character as well as Gina and Michael. Alex is an airhead which is great when scenes with Joey come. I'll always watch this show. I think it has more great things a head. When the other Character's from Friends eventually make their apperences picture how funny the chemistry between the 5 from new york with fit with Gina, Michael and expecially Alex. It'll be great.
  • not a great idea form NBC

2.5
    Only´s Drea de Matteo (and the twins) are the only reason to watch this show, the character Joey was pretty lame even on Friends, It was a very bad idea from NBC to make a spin-off a show that went over 3 seasons at least (Friends), it´s a shame that good show like Arrested Development, Veronica Mars are struggling to continue and Joey gets a nes season
  • I'm Impressed !!!!

I really wasn't shure how Joey would do given other spin off shows that crashed & burned misserabaly , But i have ot say i've liked waht i;ve seen from the 1st season & am looking forward to seasomn 2 . All the chatacters are enjoyable & funny !! I hope if & when they decide ot bring the other Friends on as guest stars they don't rush it !!!
  • New cast please...

I love the character of Joey.
    That said I can't stand his sister(Drea De Matteo) or her son(Paulo Constanzo) . Everytime they come on the screen I get hives. I really enjoy when Joey is working or interacting with his agent. The blond neighbour played by Andrea Anders is boring x 10.
    Isn't it time Joey went home to Milwaukee with Lenny
    and Squiggy!
    Sorry wrong show.
    Transplanting Joey to Hollywood from New York just
    doesn't work for me. The show seems empty and without a heart. Cold and plastic. Not a worthy
    successor to "Friends".
    So more Jennifer Coolidge and less sister and nephew. Or get rid of them altogether.
    Send Joey to Toronto to film a movie. Anything, please give the show some fun.
  • Brilliant transistion of the character from friend to family man slash good neighbor

Not much to say, just that this show is incredibly funny and deserves to last as long as Friends did, if not longer. It may receive bad reviews, but that is only because people compare it to friends. It is still great. It would be good to have some of the Friends visit Joey, but not yet. The characters must develop, Joey even, has already become a different person and the change was funny, brilliant and unnoticable. the Friends characters would just remind people of what they're missing and it would do the show no favours. This review may have been as much about Friends as it was Joey, but both shows are worthy of mention in the same breath.
  • Come on Joey is but nothing with out his "Friends"

The last two seasons of Friends really sucked at least I think it did. And then along came Joey you thought it looked good kinda funny. But its really not. Its just trying to be Friends with out the friends. Its really a bad show that is taking up valuble air time.
  • UNFUNNY!

0.1
    This show is utterly terrible! It's nothing like "Friends" which was absolutely hilarious! Joey apparently needs Chandler to add some humor to the show! come on, this can't be for real!I find it very dry and pointless each time i see it. go away joey. leave us all alone and spare me!
  • Joey is an okay show that is mainly watched because of FRIENDS and the story line gets annoying after a while.

After the finale of FRIENDS, Monica and Chandler were married. Ross and Rachel got back together and Phoebe married Mike. Joey was the only one left out and show he moved to Los Angeles with his sister so he could get a better job. Joey gets old and annoying after a while. Back in friends his type of comedy was good as it was moderated by the other types of comedies from the other characters. In Joey, theres only Joeys type of comedy that comes from him and his sister who is as dumb as him. That gets annoying after a while and i think it is over-appreciated by people.
  • Lots of potential, but--

There is much to like in this show.First and foremost,Joey himself as the sweet,lovable; somewhat befuddled title character.The rest of the cast is appealing as well, but the writers need to allow the characters to become more than stereotypes.Let Joey's sister develop beyond the brassy, but good - hearted girl we've been seeing since Laverne and Shirley.Don't treat her like a punchline.Let the nephew grow up and mature in his role.A good start has been made, but will the writers continue? I hope they continue to let the characters grow and someday we may all be suprised at how far Joey has come.
  • This follow-up to Friends is a hilarious show that no one can appreciate because it's not exactly like Friends.

This follow-up to Friends is a hilarious show that no one can appreciate because it's not exactly like Friends. I think that's crazy. Joey should be appreciated for what it is...a comedy show. And it is funny. Towards the end of the season the plot lines started to deepen and emotions started to play a part. For all the Friends lovers (myself included) watching Joey's character development has been amazing. And he still references his old friends. Keep it running and keep it popular...his old Friends will come back to visit for sure. David Schwimmer has already come back to direct.
  • I thought this show was going to be just like friends but it wasn't. Joey need to put up or something.

I thought this show was going to be just like friends but it wasn't. Joey need to put up or something. He need to bring one of his friends on the show to make it better, like Matthew Perry, I dont think he's doing anything big! But everybody loves Joey!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10