Joey

NBC (ended 2006)

WWSista

Joey Fan Reviews (277)

• Well, I like it!

I know this show isn't always well rated, I know some people didn't liked it, but I did! It's a funny show, not the greatest, but you spend good times watching it!
  • Wish the show was still on!

I've never really been into blogs or writing reviews but when I finished watching all the episodes of Joey recently, I so sad and disappointed that the show was canceled that I started searching for answers on why anyone would be crazy enough to do that. The show was amazing!!! There were so many moments I couldn't stop laughing out loud! The characters grew on you quickly and I loved how Joey's character developed so subtly and went from somewhat of a silly character on Friends to one that was pretty irresistible. He was still silly but witty and a little romantic and just plain old lovable. Even the writers on Friends couldn't develop Joey's character that way. Towards the end when the whole thing with Rachel happened, I don't know if it was just me, but it was odd and difficult to believe. And this is coming from a HUGEEE Friends fan. I, too, miss the show dearly and was hoping to get a little more from the rest of the group when I started watching the first few episodes of Joey but it didn't take long for me to appreciate the show for what it was. And that slight continued hope of seeing Rachel and Ross or Monica and Chandler, etc. appear just added to the charm of the show. Compared to what's on tv now, I would say it would easily rank on the same level as Big Bang, Two and a Half Men (with Ashton and before), and How I Met Your Mother (aside from this last almost below mediocre season) and definitely miles ahead of shows like Rules of Engagement and Mike & Molly. Anyway, what a bummer! Oh and Matthew Perry's Go On is pretty awesome if any of you are still looking for those familiar faces! [Cougar Town just didn't cut it for me, maybe a part of it is because Courteney Cox looks so different now (not being mean just thought she was beautiful without the changes) that I don't feel like she's as familiar of a face but, regardless, the writing is just blaaa].
  • If Only We Had Known

Friends fan from episode 1. I have to say that when Joey Premiered, I was fired up. I just kept thinking about how they could work special guest stars into the shows through the years and keep us abreast of everything that was going on in the other friends lives. I liked Joey but was having a hard time adjusting to the other characters. By the time season 1 ended, they had jelled and it was an excellent show. The writing was smart, LeBlanc was fantastic and his supporting actors really came into their own. Too bad too many people dissed it thinking it was going to be the same rehash of Friends. Probably people like me that thought they would sprinkle a few guest appearances in there. And then it was gone. If it had made it through season 2 with the 8 million average viewers from season 1 then it would have been fine and we likely would have gotten the surprise visit from Ross and Rachel episode and the Joey and Michael go to visit Monica and Chandler episode and the Phoebe Stays for a week episode and then the ratings would have soared and the storylines would have opened up a little because they would have no fear of cancellation. It is just too bad. I have spent the last couple weeks watching the season 1 and season 2 episodes and it is fantastic. Many hard laughs and I for one am sad that it didn't get a fair shake.
  • A completely under appreciated show. If you liked Friends, and Joey in particular, then this show is for you.

This show was COMPLETELY underappreciated in its time. The show started strong, but too many people were looking for it to be exactly like Friends. By its very nature, it could not be. When the show finally found its middle ground, it had a solid 8 million viewers, give or take from week to week. But the Powers That Be weren't satisfied with this, expecting it to have been higher. When they pulled the show from the line up for retooling, it was off the air for a long time. It lost momentum, and when it came back it was too late. The show had been fatally wounded. It then averaged 4 million, was pulled from the line up again, and then sank to 2 million. The show was cancelled, and that was that. Out of sight, out of mind was never more true.

Joey was filled with solid laughs, and anyone who liked Joey would find that Matt LeBlanc continued to breathe the EXACT likeness into the character. As the show progressed into the first season, the characters grew more and more and really started to soar. After that, even despite the removal from airing, it just got better each episode. Some of the best episodes, during the last half of the second season, were involving the character Jimmy played by Adam Goldberg. These episodes never aired in America.

Bottom line, there are a lot of naysayers out there. But there are also plenty who liked the show, and plenty more who liked Joey and would like it but didn't watch because people said it sucked. If you were a Friends fan, and particularly a Joey fan, give this show a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  • This show was not given a chance to develop.

I'm disappointed in the viewers who did not allow this spin-off to continue and become developed. Granted the first season was not that good with an exception of a few episodes. But the second season far exceeded season 1 in quality and humor.

Joey is my favorite Friends character and i was excited to see him live on in his own show. I watched every episode when they aired and stuck it out even when it was just meh.

But in season 2 I noticed from the premiere episode that it was going to be a funnier and just better show, and it was. But by then the bulk of viewers had abandoned it.

I really wish this show could have gone on for at least 5 years.

• Not a bad show at all!

I've recenetly started watching it, and in the begining I thought it was pretty pathetic (the sets were totally fake, Micheal and Gina looked like complete weirdos, and Alex seemed...well, idiotic.) But I'm glad I actually went on watching it because its totally worth it. You'll be sorely disappointed if you keep on drawing comparisons with Friends (lets just face it, no spin off could've been as good as the original), but if you want to watch this show just because you love Joey and think he deserved a proper closure like other characters, this is the show for you. The characters may seem out of place in the begining, but if you give them a shot, they totally grow on you. Joey is as adorable as ever (now that he has more screen space, its awesome coz he is just the same ol Joey), the guy playing Micheal has awesome body language and facial expressions, Gina is a great character, and Alex is pretty good (altough I'm not crazy about her character, she's not bad either). In the nutshell, the show is definately worth a watch if you're a friends fan. Plus this show has a Bobbie (read-Estelle like agent), who is a treat to watch. Just don't draw any comparisons and you might actually enjoy the show...........
  • I was one of those FRIENDS-fans who under appreciated Joey so much. After having watched all FRIENDS episodes and loved each and everyone i started to watch Joey in the television.

I really didn't like it, i thought they should have picked another cast member or made another season of friends, but I think the reason I thought this, was cause i was still hung up on the other show. This last week i've used on watching all Joey episodes and I must admit this show is somewhat alot better than FRIENDS, if it had had a chance to become as long I'm sure It could be called WAY better. Problem is just that you sort a grew up with friends for those 10 years where it aired watching an episode of it almost everyweek for 10 years solid that means alot. Joey came right after and I, for one, was unhappy with the fact that it was now Joey and not Friends that ran. But now this past week where I watched all of Joey I can nothing but admit that Joey is better. A problem with Friends in my opinion is that there are many moments with pretty lame funnyness, or moments where you just feel the audience shouldn't be laughing as you are nowhere near that point, to be fair though there are many very funny moments in friends too where you can nothing but laugh the first time. But in Joey, there are soo many MUSTLAUGH sequences, it's just so great, I didnt really notice any lame laughs from audience as i did so many times in friends which i found anoying at times, plus, in Joey it doesn't just take a rewatch to stop laughing at something, it takes several. The only bad thing I can think of of Joey at this time is the fact that it was cancelled, and how they made alex and Joey as a couple in the 2 very last episodes of season 2, - This comes from me who was otherwise a very HUGE Friends fan. But anyways in my opinion it's: Joey > Friends. And you guys who think otherwise you should give Joey a chance with no prejudice.
  • Good show, but could have been way better...

Joey Tribianni moves from New York to L.A to be a better actor.

"Joey" focuses on the title character, Joey Tribianni, from other TV sitcom "Friends". Is a good show, funny and cool, but it could have been done much better. Being a spin-off from "Friends", a great show which I really like, I really expected it to be a really great show. But the show became less appreciated and people cmplained about whatever, that the show got cancelled. I think it should have continued, for at least another season, bt it didnt so people may think is bad. But is not, is good. But it really needed to improove.
  • it could be better just needed some fixing

Everybody loved Joey. He was the retarded dependent one. This spin off was supposed to show that Matt LeBlanc was the one who was going to have the best start with Friends ending.
    it was funny, i can tell you that. but since it was Joey, it was supposed to be beyond funny. i had a lot of chuckles, but never a big huge laugh like i had on Friends.
    there were only some mistakes from the show
    Joey from Joey wasn't really Joey from Friends, he was a little bit too smart for him. I don't blame Matt LeBlanc for that, he is a wonderful actor and im sure that if the lines were better the show was going to be awesome
    He was also was too grown up. And the weird thing is that he is not supposed to be a good actor and i think that was the reason why he was still in New York not in Hollywood
  • An ok show off show off of FRIENDS!

Joey is a spin off show; off of the highly successful TV show FRIENDS. I began to watch Joey, as I liked the character when he was on Friends, and thought that this show would be similar. Unfortunately I was wrong. This show is not half as good as Friends was. The only thing even similar to it is that Joey in this show.
    Apart from that there is nothing similar. Granted this show only lasted 2 seasons, and it is easy to see why. Lots of Friends fans tuned in to this show, hoping to replace Friends with this show, but sadly that did not happen. Overall an ok show to watch, but if you loved Friends, just keep watching their re-runs instead.
  • Terrible spin-off. Enough said.

3.5
    The show is based on the character Joey (Matt LeBlanc from Friends), his sister and her son. Joey leaves New York, moves to Hollywood and becomes a full time actor. The show is basically a sequel to Friends without the best characters.

Joey was bearable at best in Friends, making him the lead of a show is a recipie for disaster. The humour is dim and it was rare that it even raised a slight chuckle from me. The funniest part of this show was probably the fact that NBC actually let it run for 46 episodes. Complete waste of time.
  • I've only seen the first season but "Wa-ha-how!"

It may not be as good as Friends, but it is one of the best shows to come around in a long time. It is original with fantastic characters whose mannerisms make this show a hit.
    Joey is as always Joey, although it seems that he has made a few changes. It seems as if he is loooking more for a serious relationship than he was in Friends.
    Gina is the mother of Michael and sister of Joey, she is just too funny for words.
    Michael is the geek that everyone knows or has in their family. Slightly spazzy around women but completely loveable.
    Alex is average and possibly a low point in the show. Her best moments are when she sees Celine Dion, is working as a spanish maid for Mary-Therese and dating a lesbian.
    Bobbi is the best character by far. She keeps me laughing on and on and on. I love her to pieces. I wish this show wasn't cancelled it is just so good!

XxkissessxX
  • IT'S NO FRIENDS. BUT IT'S HILARIOUS!

I understand why this show failed. It's not even close to how good Friends was. But it is still a wonderful show!

Every episode I laughed from start to finish. Joey, Gina, Alex, Bobbie, and even Michael were so funny.

This show was good, but when everyone watched it, they all compared it to Friends. If you just look at this show by itself, it is a really good comedy show.

I was so mad when this was cancelled in the middle of Season 2. NBC should have never have moved it to Tuesdays.

I have the first season DVD and I am just waiting for the second season to come out. RELEASE IT.
  • This was a very funny show, and I liked it.

Joey could never be s good a Friends was, as most spin offs are not as good as the original show, but still it was good. I was enjoyable and interesting to see more of Joey's side. It was also nice to see Joey kind of grow up in a sense. I wish it had lasted a little longer so we could see how Joey and Alex worked out, the were a great couple. Over all it was a funny show, but NBC canceled it like they end up canceling all the great shows and we end up with reality TV shows.
  • Well the show only lasted for two seasons, there were truly some memorable episodes nonetheless. I was surprised that it was not renewed since there are quite a few shows out there, in my opinion, that are absolutely GARBAGE!! Joey is not one of them!

Well, clearly not as good as Friends, I admit to really liking this show! Maybe because Joey was one of my favorite characters on Friends and the woman who was on The Sopranos, is also a fave of mine. I could do without his agent...she is totally annoying! Alex, however, is just adorable! Like to see her and Joey together.....

I had purchaed Season 1 when it was originally released so when Season 2 was announced for release in Canada, I had to order it! I just received it and I am looking forward to spending a weekend watching it.

Yes, it truly is a guilty pleasure for me!!
  • A good spin off

I heard many people say "Friends is so much better than Joey" and I think I agree with it but we're wrong because we can't compare them. Friends is Friends and Joey is Joey. Joey can be fun itself if it is not compared with Friends so if you watch it, forget about Friends!

Yes, like many people said the story changed a little. For example, in Friends Joey is said that he's never been to college, in Joey he apparently did. So I'm a little confused here. And in Season Two of Friends Eddie, Chandler's short period roommate is Joey's best friend in Joey!

All together Joey is a decent show and I think it got too much bad reviews for such a fun show. The show could have been better if Joey's previous friends (Chandler) were guest starred. The reason it wasn't as fun as Friends (now I have to compare them) is that the story changed so quickly. Joey is suddenly without all his beloved friends and new characters are introduced to be the new main characters which was probably the hardest thing for the audience to let go of.

That was my review for "Joey"
  • Well, it could be better

6.6
    As much as it tries to be funny and interesting, it just can't replace Friends, because the fun in the Friends was within them all, and if the "circle" is broken than it's not good. That's the way with the Joey. But, it's not all bad. It has nice plot, Joey off in the "big movie world", but like i said, i liked Joey the most, and only actually in the Friends.
    It can be watchable off course. Nice relationships and twists shows in it, and it can keep viewer on. I wish them better luck with every season. It's good for everybody ;)
  • So many things that goes wrong in this series

5.8
    So many things that goes wrong in this series I was so excited when they announce there's gonna be Friends' spin-off. I was hoping they give it to Chandler… but Joey is fine too…it felt like Friends when I watched the first season especially in the beginning. I like Lucy Liu character but not so much of his agent, Bobby. What make Joey very funny was because he is so stupid. Somehow in this series Joey become a little bit smarter. And I kind hope that one of Friends character show up, Chandler especially. I like Gina. She so feisty, I really like it…
  • 'Joey' was sadly underappreciated. While nothing original, it still managed to be funny, have some heart, and allow us to still be connected to one of our "Friends".

While 'Friends' was/is one of my favorite shows, and even though 'Joey' was completely different from it, I still enjoyed watching it. At his core, Joey was still the same womanizing idiot we all loved from New York but he was also a different person. He had to be the anchor for the show. And this created a different atmosphere and feel for the show.

'Joey' was nothing original, and it wasn't 'Friends' but it was still entertaining. Would it have even been considered if the plot hadn't involved the character of Joey Tribbiani? Maybe not. But the fact that it was a 'Friends'-spinoff, it got a bit of a push and when it didn't deliver the same ratings it was considered a flop. After that, NBC pretty much decided to end it.

One thing that bothers me about their decision is that they based it on the ratings from the first new episode after the Olympics and, while the ratings were terrible, that can be blamed on the fact that it was barely promoted as being NEW and few people even knew that it was returning. After that, it was "Bye bye Joey." No closure, no airing of the few remaining episodes. Just gone.

When will networks learn that leaving fans of shows with no resolution makes us more hesitant to get into something new??
  • Pretty ordinary

I have to say, when I watch it for the first time, I expected something else... I don't know why, maybe because in my mind I was already comparing it with Friends. It's funny, I can't say that it isn't, but not that funny. It's a decent show, for me, it's like a show to watch when I'm bored or something. It could have more interesting characters, or stories that could bring some real comedy action. Anyway, like I already said, it's a little bit ordinary. But hey, that's just my opinion! If you find it at a higher level than me, it's perfect! Maybe my sense of humour is kinda in a critical position right now.
  • Here we have our old friend joey back in his own serie. Funny, stupid and a bit goofy. Exactly as we remember him.

This is a heart-warm funny sitcom, about the main caracter Joey, and his family, in everyday life. It is that kind of series where you do not have to watch every episode to keep up, where you can just sit down to enjoy yourself for a half an hour, and have a great laugh.

When I first sat down to watch the first episode, I thought that it was doomed for disaster, compared to our beloved show "friends". But I must say, that it postively surprised me. So I can only reccomand it - Big time!

Now there's only one thing left to say: "How YOU doin'?"
  • Still good but not s good as Friends

Joey follows the life of failing actor Joey Tribbiani who has just left his friends in New York to pursuit his acting career in Los Angeles.
    Joey is a spinoff show from the classic US sitcom Friends wich has become one of the biggest comedy shows of all time.
    Some of the supporting cast are great like Joeys sister Gina and her son Michael but I really find Joeeys agent Bobbie annoying.
    I sometimes enjoy watching Joey because of the connections to friends but I must say they where right to cancel the show but they should gave it another season to finish Joeys story.
  • A good show but nothing compared to friends

• A good show but nothing compared to friends.

• Thank God they show this no more!

5.2
    I'm more like a cult follower of the Friends series and I actually had a lot of expectations from the spin-off Joey, but after watching the show, I realized how big a mistake it was for the makers to go ahead and create this totally crappy spin-off, almost ruining all the fun Friends had come up with. I was way too happy when I heard this show was axed.

'Joey' revolves around Joey from the Friends series (Matt LeBlanc), his sister Gina, and her son. Joey leaves for Hollywood after Friends ended, and that's where the story goes on. He becomes a full time actor, and makes new friends. I found the characters in the show trying to be funny, which turned out to be a total facade. I was really saddened the way this show went on, specially after what great quality the original Friends series had.

'Joey' was kind of unrealistic, and not in a good way. Matt LeBlanc, although, still amongst my list of favorite television actors. I wouldn't really recommend this show. It's bad, really bad.
  • A funny show which suffers under the shadow of Friends

If you had never seen Friends before and suddenly found yourself watching an episode of Joey, you would without a shadow of a doubt find it hilarious. Unfortunately, Joey will always be compared to the untouchable series which spawned it, meaning that even if the writers churn out quality episode after quality episode, it will forever be burdened with the label of being 'not as good as Friends.' Yes, I admit, it isn't, now let's get over it shall we? Just forget about Friends and enjoy Joey for what it is- a fast paced, funny and entertaining comedy series with great characters and great jokes.
  • friend was good but is this?

6.8
    i am a friends fan like most poeple was at the time but this is not friends this is joey the ok spin off with guess who joey well now you might think joey was a good char in friends and he was funny and he is in joey dont get me wrong this show is ok but the fact is joey was not the best char in friends and was only good when with other char from friends so it got caned afted two seasons but this is ok and goodish if your a friends fan and its worth a look

i have joey a 6.8
  • Joey was a funny show, with my favorite "Friends"-characters. But people expected too much, too early, and that killed it.

Joey is one of the shows that was cancelled because of the hype. Friends was indeed a great show. One of the reasons for this was, that the show became better doing the years, until it found its right formular. But Joey didn't get the time to findt its formular. I think that the first season og Joey was fun and intertaining, but nothing more. The show had a problem with a lot of new characters, and suddenly we had to Joeys, the other one being Joeys sister. But the characters evolved, and became really great characters. I love the chemistry between Joey and Michael. The shows plot also became funnier, and the Joey character became more mature, which is great. Personally I think that the last 10 episodes of Joey is the best ones. The show really find a good formular, that could have evolved to something fantastic.
    I really miss it.
  • It's a shame it was canned but a brilliant funny family show! Amazing that they bagged the show after 2 seasons.

What can we say about Joey Tribeani? The best and most retarded guy ever. The show WAS jam packed with fun and laughter both seasons through. Very cleverly planned comedy to it's best and a shame that it got canned so quickly. Hilarious scenes added oomph to this program and it was a shame to see it sag. Every episode the comedy just got better and we loved the way he charmed the ladies and got through life. Not just Joey but the rest of the characters really rocked in their own unique kind of way. Amazing and brilliant!
  • Joey couldn't quite make it on his own

Friends being on of the most popular shows in the past ten years, Joey had quite some expectations on it. Expectations that the show couldn't live up to.
    Joey Tribbiani, a character from Friends, now was one his own. Joey moved from New York to Los Angeles, then he moves in with his nephew Michael, with daily visits from his sister Gina. The thing that distinguished Joey from Friends was a lower standard of the characters. None of Michael, Gina, Alex, Zach, Jimmy or Bobbie I could relate to. They were semi funny but you never really got a feel on them. Without Joey this show wouldn't have lasted long. Too bad that none of the other "Friends" made guest appearances.