John Doe

FOX (ended 2003)

Gislef

John Doe Fan Reviews (85)

• One of TV's Best...

Few shows rank high and "John Doe" was one of the most non-stop exciting minutes one could spend and discovered after its cancellation due to possible marketing. Fine cast, direction and a REAL WINNER though cancelled.
  • awsome show

I loved this show and I think it left too soon. It had a good crime elements and drama... and Dominic did awsome job acting just like others actors.
  • more!

Not a 10 because it left me with many questions!
  • John Doe: For a guy who had all the answers, I didn't have the ones that mattered the most.

I really liked this show. It had many good elements of detective work - on a whole new level. It was tricky how knowing every fact, written or otherwise, could help to solve cases that seemed so unrelated to the facts themselves, but in the end felt nothing short of realistic.

The plot was a bit too repetitive at places, especially John Doe's dilemma that was more or less force-fed into every episode; he doesn't know who he is, he doesn't know why certain people are after him... Yeah, it fit the scenes a few times, but it got a bit boring by the end.

About the end of the first - and only - season I must say that it was bad. Good episode, terrible ending, because it felt more like the first half of a two-episode combo. Now we are left with too many answers hanging, not to mention one revelation that sure was shocking, but which also felt too surreal to be true.

All in all going into my favorite shows, and it's sad to see it discontinued since it has a lot of potential to move forward and expand after this first season.
  • The show left too soon.

I wish the show would come back. John Doe was a really original show because it had writing and storylines that were not seen anywhere else. I didn't think that I was going to like it at first, but I decided to give it a try and after the first episode, I was hooked. Never did I think this show would have only lasted less than 2 seasons. I thought that it was an interesting show and had drama, action, and suspense. I thought that the John Doe character was interesting as he had the ability of wide knowledge of history. This show was canceled too soon and I wish they would have given it another shot. Thank you.
  • A man washes up on a beach in Seattle, and he knows everything in the world, except who he is.

A man washes up on a beach in Seattle, and knows everything there is to know in the world, except who he is, with the only clue being a mysterious scar. He names himself John Doe and uses his vast knowledge to help police solve crimes, all the while trying to find out about his past.

The very premise of this show sounded interesting to me when I first watched it. However, probably because I was just a kid at the time, I did not pay as much attention to the show as I should have and when I heard that it had been canceled, I was very upset. To this day, I believe that if it had just been given a chance, it could have been one of the best shows ever. I recommend this show just because of the story, and anyone can watch this show and enjoy it. Bring it back!
  • John Doe is a mysterious man who rises from the primordial waters of an isolated island, possessing knowledge of literally everything in the world, yet having no memory of who he is. He finds his way to Seattle and uses his gift to help solve crimes.

When I first started watching this series it was good and I enjoyed most of the episodes. Then it started to get a little boring so I stop watching the series. But I guess that other people lost interested too because I heard it stopped airing new episodes. The Sci-Fi network still air the old episodes from time to time. So, if anyone interested in seeing the episodes check your local listings. This is a good series it just lost interest for me, but I am glad I was able to see it when I could. Enjoy to those who go looking for the series.
  • This shows is about a man who wakes up on an island naked, colorblind, with no memories but knowing everything about everything. He named himself John Doe. While trying to find out his real identity he works with police to solve enigmas.

"I woke up in an island off the coast of Seattle. I didn't know how I got there ... or who I was. But I did seem to know everything else. There were things about me I didn't understand ... the brand, being colorblind, extreme claustrophobia. And while my gifts provided answers for others, I still search for my own. My name is John Doe."

In the opening scene of the series' pilot episode, a mysterious man wakes up on an island off the coast of Seattle, Washington, naked, with absolutely no memory of who he is or how he got there. However, apart from the details of his own past, "John Doe", as he comes to call himself, seems to have access to the sum total of all human knowledge: he knows how many dimples are on a golf ball, the population of Uruguay, and other such obscure (and not-so-obscure) facts. He also has expert knowledge on everything from the stock market to computers. Over the course of the series John attempts to find clues about his past by using his unusual ability while also helping people in need. In the process it becomes clear that an international conspiracy known as the Phoenix Organization is watching John's every move.
  • An interesting idea and played out almost perfectly

THis show was great, the idea was while not entirely unique blended ideas together in a way that was. It was clearly the spring board for shows like Kyle XY, but looked at the show from a different angle, because John never stopped searching for his past, and the entire time never really tried to make connections with people who ere around him. He was able to with a few but his circle of friends never really grew as the show went on, the only people who were added later were Rachel (who only showed in 2 eps) and that NSA guy (can't remember his name) and their relationship never really got developed because the show was cancelled. Which is really the only major flow it never ends, I mean it was suppose to come back b/ fox didn't let it (they're really hard on all sci-fi oriented shows) and so fans never got some of the explainations that were really really needed at that point. It really left us asking questions, still worth the time of anyone who is interested in aspects of sci fi that seem as though they could actually take place, in todays time and would believably be unnoticed (not 100% b/ for the most part).
  • the show is really superb that keeps me going home early just to watch the whole episode. In every episode, you can't guess its ending as well as its next step. Totally amazing & intelligently written.

This is not actually a review but a personal affirmation of the show though i haven't seen the complete episode of the series. I magnificently loved & hooked with the series because of its subtleness and affects to audiences. I love the casts and characters portrayed coz they have acted brilliantly and superb especially Dominic Purcell who seems to be mysterious as he has known nothing of himself and how the writter briliantly slowly uncover the mystery of his life. As an avid fan of the series, i wish to have a complete episodes of that show in DVD so that i'll be able appreciate it more and all the fans here in the PHILIPPINES will be able to see it. tnk u.
  • John Doe is a great show and should have never been canceled. It was interesting and exciting, along with the awesome characters, and story line, it kept me interested and wanting more. Bring it back!!!

Bring It Back!!!! I just found this show, John Doe, now being aired on the Sci-Fi channel in California. I never even got a chance to see it during its prime in 2002-2003 premier. Now that I have been watching it I have been trying to see every episode. (Not viewing them in order!) But I am very interested in the show, and now I come to find out it had been canceled. It was something I was interested in watching, and wish someone would make the choice to Bring It Back....It had an awesome story line and great characters. It was definitely something that could catch my interest and keep me wanting and waiting for the next episode. That is obvious because I just happened to catch it on the Sci-Fi channel and left the TV on that channel till it was over....Whomever chose to end it was foolish...I am sure there are many who feel the same....Now I am left wanting more and there is no more!! :(
  • John Doe is a much underappreciated show starring Dominic Purcell, as John Doe, a man that knows the answer to all the worlds questions...except one..who he is?

I stumbled upon this show around a year or two ago,The main reason that I decided to check it out was the actor (Dominic Purcell) as I was a fan of his latest and more commercially successful show Prison Break. I was suprised at how great this show was!,I thought that the idea was very fresh and ahead of it's time(A man who is all knowing, apart from who he is),the way the writers execute the main idea for the show was excellent.The writers and Purcell himself. I feel gave great depth to the character of John Doe,which in it's self is great but when you realise that they managed to create this depth and emotion into a character that remembers zero percent of his past makes it all the more special. I feel that FOX never really gave this show a chance, because to me it's way better than many of the shows causing a stir on out television screens today.It saddens me to think that they cancelled this show,The idea behind it was, and still IS great.Everyone that I have discussed this show with agrees after watching a few episodes that it was way to good to cancel...and without a proper ending just threw salt in the wound for me...maybe it was too good, that's the only reason I can think of for cancelling this show, and it's not exactly a good reason. In conclusion: John Doe, a great show, ahead of its time, tragically neglected but painfully missed!
    Heres to hoping for a proper ending to this show sometime in the not so distant future!...just don't hold your breathe for it!
  • A man who knows everything, is a man destined for greatness.

Story in this great show starts when John doe (not his real name) awakenes himself alone and nude on an island unaware of his memories and any past recollections.

John wanders through the city with the glimmer of hope that he will remember who he is and his purpose in life. He also carries a unique ability which normal people do not have, the gift of knowledge.

John stumbles into a bar where he meets penny a very hyped young girl who is able to assist john in his search for his dientity.

Sadly this series was canceled after the leader of the phoenix group was revealed. I was pretty heartbrokened at the time since they decided to end the show.

I hope they bring it back !!!
  • they canceled it just when it was getting good - it reminds me of the Pretender - also has a Hot Guy - bring it back, bring it back don't take it away from me, because you don't know what it means to me (QUEEN).

bring it back, i am curious as to how his best friend turns up as his worst enemy or was it a ruse? plus the actor who plays John is a believable character, and reminds me alot of michael t weiss from the pretender, i only wish i could become anyone i needed to be!
  • this show is about a man that wakes up on an island near seattle washington and he has no idea who he is color blind and knows everything about everything.

i watched this about half way threw the series when it was cancled i was so pissed about it because i thought this show was awsome doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe doe
  • A show that deserved better than what the network gave it.

John Doe is one of those kinds of shows that are very intriguing. John Doe woke up and had no memory of his past, but in time realized he knew just everything about everything. But what he really wanted to know was who he was and about his past. The show was so excellent and superb that the whole idea that a network would cancel it after one season truly astonished me. But I am getting tired of complaining about unintelligent networks. I really like Dominic Purcell who plays John Doe in this show so much more than the role he has in Prison Break. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor in both shows, but in John Doe his role had so much more substance. I wish that they would at least do a movie to at least finish off the series.
  • A great Show that should be brought back. And Fast!!!

A great Show that should be brought back. And Fast!!!! It still can make a lot of viewers stick themselfs in front of a television set, besides in era of superheroes, it's more than apropriate to make people see what it could be make in the future with the right tecnology. In my honest opinion, this is the kind of series that can rival with "The 4400" and "Heroes". But hey... I don´t even live in the USA, I'm only a portuguese on the other side of the world that gives his honest opinion.... take it if you want forget it if you wish...
  • I miss John Doe,...

I miss John Doe, the job Dominic Purcell as John Doe is priceless... The show is different to others, a guy who doesn't remember his life, and knows everything. He has to life with his gift. It's the first show that I left guessing in. What happens to John Doe?. Is there somebody who wants to answer my question?
  • It would be great, if it had a decent finale.

This is one great show containing all the mystery and intrigue of the X-Files and Characters who actually have character. I got hooked on it when it came out on Sci-Fi without having heard of it before. When I missed an episode and had to download it, I found the whole first season and went ahead and got it. Fox really screwed up when they decided to cut it without actually bringing it to a real end. It was there one day and gone the next. That's what I hated about it. I didn't mind so much about it ending, but it was never really revealed who this mysterious John Doe character is or who Phoenix was. What was this strange staff they were after and why did it matter so much to them? Because of Fox's decision to send it down the tubes we will never know. I like a good mystery, but I want it to be solved. Because this one was never solved, it will leave you disappointed in the end.
  • I LOVE IT!!!! and it's getting really good now. Digger is the "stocking cap" guy!?!?! KEEP it on, bring it back, keep it going!!!

This shoe is super good - I'm addicted to it! The plot is wonderful, the characters well developed. Taking place in "Seattle", but a lot of the scenery does not look like it. They use a lot of the names in the Seattle area though I'll give them that. I can hardly wait to see where this show goes..... It's one of those "magical" shows, with espionage and a little (or a LOT) of "Big Brother is watching you! Hope they don't just take it off the air, and leave us all hanging in the wind wondering what it's all about!
  • bring this show back if any station had half a brain

its a damn shame that fox canceled this show, they never knew what they had. i mean come on the show numbers more or less stole the same concept. a math equation can solve all these crime that just stupid. way to go FOX u **** up again i guess thats why u will never be a number 1 station. If a station have half a brain they would bring this back!!!!!!!

SAVE JOHN DOE bring it back
  • How can we get this show back in the air?

My wife and I started watching this show on the SciFi channel thinking it was a new show coming out on the SciFi channel. This is has to be up there as one our top shows of all time. I came here just to see what others were saying about the show and then found out I'm watching reruns of a show that only made it one season on FOX! What was this show up against when it came out??? The show has everything.. mystery, suspense, humor, all with a sci-fi - X-Files/4400 - angle going on. Great stuff.

I sure hope when this season ends it's not a cliffhanger for a show that never made it back on the air.
  • Fed up with all these brain dead stoner tv shows? Finally a good pseudo sci-fi with mystery, crime, suspense, and wonder . I cant believe it got cancelled after one season. Bad move by the Networks in my opinion.

I missed the original airing of John Doe and started recording the reruns on my DVR. After seeing a few episodes back to back I was shocked to find out how great this t.v. show is. John Doe has no recolection of his life previous to waking up on some random island off the coast. No matter what it was, he gets a fresh start. Many of us have dwelled on the pass wishing to move forward from it. John do gets a clean slate and while watching it and getting to know the characters, I got a clean slate to
  • John Doe is back on SciFi... right now! :) SciFi runs 4 episodes back to back on on Fridays it seems. Very good show, Numb3rs before it's time.

John Doe is back on SciFi... right now! :)

SciFi runs 4 episodes back to back on on Fridays it seems.

Very good show, Numb3rs before it's time and without the diagrams and the explanations. Less CSI, more X-Files (sans supernatural and geek-boy pin-ups). Very interesting and fun shopw, characters you can really get into and care about. The 'impossible crime of the week' plot meshes well with the over-arching mystery of John's origins and who/what he really is.

And of course, it's set in Seattle where I currently live ;)

I think John Doe would do really well right now, with the current line up on TV.
  • Who is John doe? Well hes a guy who drops outta the sky. The next thing you know he knows everything but who he really is and where he comes from. Early on in the season its like no one seems to really trust him. And of all things hes colorblind.

This show if I could put into so many words was way ahead of its time. Early on John Doe seems to be picking up steam by picking up small clues and helping out those who can not help themselves. I was really suprised when this show wasnt picked up for a second season. We all may never know who he really is or where he came from but on the other hand I wouldnt be suprised if there was a Tv movie down the road to finish what was actually started. I would really like this short series to come to Dvd someday.
  • One of the best and most compelling TV series in recent years.

I have watched the entire series of this and the only derogatory comment I have is that it finished too soon. I'm sure they could have created a few more episodes, maybe even another series or two. That aside though, I found it completely enthralling to watch. Dominic was a good choice for the character John Doe, he played the part admirably. And it seems it has helped him to progress onto other projects quite easily also.

The cases he involves himself with for the police department are normally quite bizarre and it is ingenious in the way he solves them. I especially enjoyed the little titbit's of trivia he comes out with and that it seems he will never have an incorrect answer for anyone.

I would recommend this series to anyone, except maybe the very young as it does hold some dark undertones sometimes.
  • Bring It Back! If you agree go here and remove the spaces http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml

http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml

Remove the spaces and paste this link if you agree.

John Doe was a great show From the beginning.
    It's only downfall was it left you hanging at the end of each episode. Even the season final... That was also what made it such a great show.

If you would like to see any chance of fox bringing back this show please support those of us and go to the petition link. http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml
    The other reviewers Tell you what the first season is about But i'm just here to beg to get it back on the air.

I hope you support the cause.
    Wolfie
  • A great show lost.

Talk about an interesting story. Dominic Purcell was amazing. He was so good and just amazing to watch. Every episode left me wanting to know more. Also, all of the facts that he would spit out were awesome. Talk about learning something new everyday. The whole organization behind John Doe was very interesting.

I can't believe they ended the show before the biggest event of the show. Fox could atleast be nice and give viewers a DVD set because it was a great concept. Who knows where the show would have gone if Fox had given it more of a chance.
  • john doe

Not bringing this show back is a mistake as far as my whole family is concerned! We do not watch a lot of TV but this is one show that we could not wait to come back. The main actor which is also on prison break did a great job on this show. I had wished they had not killed the girl in the show, that was a shock. The bar keep was just starting to get more time on the show which I think was a good move. Sci-fi does not have a lot of great shows, but this one was. I think they should have marketed the show more to let people know they had a good show on instead of running tremors and tremors sequels so much.
  • really good show, sorry it only lasted one season

i watched this show when it first aired about 4 years ago, and really enjoyed it. it was such an odd mystery... a person who knows everything, except who he is. it was a nice change of pace from a few shows were no one questions how the main detective person knows about russian ballet and poker and how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootise roll pop (okay, make the last one is a bit of a strech). but whatever.
    i have started rewatching it on scifi, and i slightly remember the episodes, but, as i rewatch them, it is nearly like eeing them again for the first time. and i am reminded just how good this show was.
< 1 2 3