John Doe

FOX (ended 2003)

Gislef

John Doe Fan Reviews (85)

• Like MacGyver in Seattle.

It came as no surprise when I learned that this show was cancelled after only one season. It's entirerly predictable and boring, even if the actors are mostly ok the main character played by Dominic Purcell leaves much to want. It's either him or his character that is so flawed it makes it painful to watch.

There is a very basic chain of events that keep repeating itself in this show. Extremely intelligent and well prepared bad guy totally runs laps around the Seattle PD, that seem to be in the same league as the cadets of Police Academy. Enter John Doe, he makes some incredible deductions and narrows down the suspect within minutes while the police lab merely gasps. Considering how long we've been fed with the geniuses of CSI and its offspring shows, it's not so credible to accept the police departments complete lack of wit in this show. And it seems that no matter what happens to the characters, they just can't stop themselves from bumbling into obvious trouble. Thankfully always being saved by macGyver, sorry, John Doe and his all knowing mind.

Also, somehow it manages to convey the image that this show is shot during the 80's or something and I am always surprised to see an iMac or to hear them refer to the internet as something they use. It's got this air about it that is hard to ignore.

It is one show that really deserved to be cancelled.
  • I watched every episode

6.4
    People thought I was crazy for liking this show but I actually understood what was going on in this show. It was birlliant. Except for I dont know what happened in the end. Again Damn the TV!!! It is true I watched every episode and I am proud of it!
  • Good job following in the footsteps of others in this genre

Even with spotty writting and some huge logic gaps, this is a fun, entertaining show to watch.

I think this show worked because of the use of Black and white when seeing from Joe's vantage, and the off beat characters that populated the universe.

It is obvious that this show follows in the in the same path as The Pretender and the Sentinel, both good shows that did the prodigy/hightend senses thing very well. This show had enough unique elements to make it stand alone.
  • Very nice plot, but also has very bad filming.

I don't know if it's because it's already a 3 year old show now, the filming is just so unprofessional. I just hate it when John Doe starts mubbling about the things he know. He always frowns and pause within sentences as if he doesn't really KNOW what he's saying. If the actor didn't star in Prison Break and make a fabulous job out of it, I would've been a Dominic Purcell hater.

The video editing a cheap. The theme song is cool, but the special effects of the video weren't that good. I don't know how to explain, the whole show just wasn't good enough. I just couldn't get sucked into it even though I was dying to know what the mystery was.

The story of the show was fabulous, though. "Waking up in an island without memories" - Isn't that awesome? It feels like it could've been from a 100 year old novel or something. I think they should've done more on his memories and don't really actually use his power to solve crimes, that's so plain and typical.

Basically, this show isn't bad. Though it really could've done WAY better and, who knows? It could've even had a second season. Whether you would like it or not, depends.
  • John Doe is a mysterious man who rises from the primordial waters of an isolated island, possessing knowledge of literally everything in the world, yet having no memory of who he is. He finds his way to Seattle and uses his gift to help solve crimes.

When I first started watching this series it was good and I enjoyed most of the episodes. Then it started to get a little boring so I stop watching the series. But I guess that other people lost interested too because I heard it stopped airing new episodes. The Sci-Fi network still air the old episodes from time to time. So, if anyone interested in seeing the episodes check your local listings. This is a good series it just lost interest for me, but I am glad I was able to see it when I could. Enjoy to those who go looking for the series.
  • Although the acting was typical "television mediocre" the story of a guy that was color blind, with amnesia, and had more knowledge than a Dell hard drive was refreshing. Unfortunately networks have dropped the ball before such as NBC's "The Pretender"

My girlfriend and I got hooked on it and now she is pretty upset that it ended in such a cliffhanger. So am I! I think they could at least make a movie to put some closure on the show.
    I saw the same thing happen with NBC's "The Pretender", but at least they did make a movie or a 2 hour special (not sure which) that at least put some closure on the cliffhanger ending. Maybe we will be lucky, these cable networks somtimes can do things that a network is to scared to try. Get that NETWORKS!!! Y'all are scared to do things that cable networks seem to thrive on.
  • The first half of the first and only season is amazing. However it feels like the show looses a great deal off its charm towards the end.

A show about a man, that gives himself the name John Doe, who wakes up on an island not knowing his name or anything about himself.
    Although he knows every (!) "fact", ever.
    Its like a library has been downloaded into his head.
    When one knows everything criminal investigation makes sence, I guess.
    So John helps the lokal police of Seattle in investigations.
    His quest to find anyone or anything to messure his powers and cunning leads to one risky and dangerous adventure after another.
    His first night in town he makes himself rather wealthy by wakling in to a stock brokers office and makes desicions and with his cunning acumulates a whole lot of money. He buys an awsome car, that he learns to drive in about three minutes.
    Walks into a bar and plays the piano like a consert painist and makes friends with the owner of the bar. Gets hired as a piano player and gets a few friends.
    But life as a walking encyclopedia, dictionary and pool of cunning is not simple.
    One can't imagine what it must be like walking trough life not knowing anything about one self.
    John Doe is player by talented Dominic Purcell.
    This is the first production I saw Dominic Purcell in, and I was quite impressed.
    He is better here then in Prison Break.
    A good show.
    The first half of the first and only season is flat out great.
    Tough it feels like the writers and producers knows that the show won't come back for a seacond season and it kind of falls apart in the last few episodes.
  • A man who knows everything, is a man destined for greatness.

Story in this great show starts when John doe (not his real name) awakenes himself alone and nude on an island unaware of his memories and any past recollections.

John wanders through the city with the glimmer of hope that he will remember who he is and his purpose in life. He also carries a unique ability which normal people do not have, the gift of knowledge.

John stumbles into a bar where he meets penny a very hyped young girl who is able to assist john in his search for his dientity.

Sadly this series was canceled after the leader of the phoenix group was revealed. I was pretty heartbrokened at the time since they decided to end the show.

I hope they bring it back !!!
  • really good show, sorry it only lasted one season

i watched this show when it first aired about 4 years ago, and really enjoyed it. it was such an odd mystery... a person who knows everything, except who he is. it was a nice change of pace from a few shows were no one questions how the main detective person knows about russian ballet and poker and how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootise roll pop (okay, make the last one is a bit of a strech). but whatever.
    i have started rewatching it on scifi, and i slightly remember the episodes, but, as i rewatch them, it is nearly like eeing them again for the first time. and i am reminded just how good this show was.
  • Not so bad

I do not like conventional detective dramas. I've seen so many of them that new ones just seem like the same old seen-it-a-mllion-times. John Doe seems to be developing as a detective drama with the added twist that Doe can draw on such a huge amount of knowledge even more so than Jarod in The Pretender. But whereas Jarod is supposedly a genetically engineered (or bred? its not clear) savant Doe's source of knowledge is much more mysterious and is so great that one can't imagine how even the most brilliant super genius would even want to know a lot of the knowledge he draws up. The knowledge extends way into the realm of uninteresting trivia (like the model numbers of old biolers for heating buildings).
  • Sooo cool but is fox never going to continue the series?

I liked the episodes but why does it have to end in the middle of the story? is there a budget problem cause we can all save up some money cant we guys and how bout those actors is it them who dont want to play anymore then just replace them with some clones :p
  • One of TV's Best...

Few shows rank high and "John Doe" was one of the most non-stop exciting minutes one could spend and discovered after its cancellation due to possible marketing. Fine cast, direction and a REAL WINNER though cancelled.
  • more!

Not a 10 because it left me with many questions!
  • This shows is about a man who wakes up on an island naked, colorblind, with no memories but knowing everything about everything. He named himself John Doe. While trying to find out his real identity he works with police to solve enigmas.

"I woke up in an island off the coast of Seattle. I didn't know how I got there ... or who I was. But I did seem to know everything else. There were things about me I didn't understand ... the brand, being colorblind, extreme claustrophobia. And while my gifts provided answers for others, I still search for my own. My name is John Doe."

In the opening scene of the series' pilot episode, a mysterious man wakes up on an island off the coast of Seattle, Washington, naked, with absolutely no memory of who he is or how he got there. However, apart from the details of his own past, "John Doe", as he comes to call himself, seems to have access to the sum total of all human knowledge: he knows how many dimples are on a golf ball, the population of Uruguay, and other such obscure (and not-so-obscure) facts. He also has expert knowledge on everything from the stock market to computers. Over the course of the series John attempts to find clues about his past by using his unusual ability while also helping people in need. In the process it becomes clear that an international conspiracy known as the Phoenix Organization is watching John's every move.
  • A great Show that should be brought back. And Fast!!!

A great Show that should be brought back. And Fast!!!! It still can make a lot of viewers stick themselfs in front of a television set, besides in era of superheroes, it's more than apropriate to make people see what it could be make in the future with the right tecnology. In my honest opinion, this is the kind of series that can rival with "The 4400" and "Heroes". But hey... I don´t even live in the USA, I'm only a portuguese on the other side of the world that gives his honest opinion.... take it if you want forget it if you wish...
  • Why don't I recall ever seeing this? I like it!

I have been watching this show on Sci-Fi Fridays, and was utterly shocked to discover here that it was a show that Fox gave the heave-ho. This has been an interesting show, and was under the impression it was a current show put together by Sci-Fi, mainly due to the fact of the awesome acting by Dominic Purcell, which also led me to figure that is one of the reasons Prison Break went into hiatus, so he could work on this project.

The acting has been superb, the plotlines are on-the-edge of your seat great. Makes me wonder why exactly Fox cancelled it. Pending on the outcome of Prison Break, they need to bring Dominic back for this show.
  • john doe

Not bringing this show back is a mistake as far as my whole family is concerned! We do not watch a lot of TV but this is one show that we could not wait to come back. The main actor which is also on prison break did a great job on this show. I had wished they had not killed the girl in the show, that was a shock. The bar keep was just starting to get more time on the show which I think was a good move. Sci-fi does not have a lot of great shows, but this one was. I think they should have marketed the show more to let people know they had a good show on instead of running tremors and tremors sequels so much.
  • Such a great concept.

It was a real pleasure watching this show. I really liked the story of a guy who appears and has no memory at all. Plus he only sees black and white except he sees color o f something when it is real important. Plus then to give him this knowledge of pretty much everything. It was something different on to watch. All of the actors were great in the show. It was so much fun trying to figure things out with him. And the ending was like out of left field. Never would have guessed that. I really wish they have given this show a chance. It seemed like every one i knew liked and watched it.
  • Left us on a horrbile cliff hanger.

The show was a great idea, and it was implemented great as well. The characters were fun, and the show was going along great. We need the answers even if there just handed to us, don’t leave us like that, explain, and of course let us know that Karen is not actually dead, if anything maybe she’s back like John with talents of her own or whatever. EXPLAIN, sure you were canceled, and sure it shouldn’t have been because it was a great show, but don’t just leave us without answers. Finish the story for us, be reasonable.
  • Was my favorite show. I miss it terribly. BRING IT BACK

This was truly a great concept. They should have given it more time to catch on. I loved every episode. Haven't watched a "new" fox show since, because they cancel everything that I watch(dark angel also) and leave the crap shows on for years. If they cancel "24", I'll never watch fox again. Oh, and did I mention, Bring back John Doe!!!
  • The best ever! Though it is not finished.

"John Doe" rocks! And as I say that, I don't mean only Domminic Purcell\'s acting, but the whole story. To know everything in the world is great, considering how big the world is. It's too bad the story doesn't go on. At least 3 or 4 more seasons would be enough to satisfy all the fans.
    Still "John Doe" remains the best for me. As to Purcell - Pure Genius! :)
  • awsome show

I loved this show and I think it left too soon. It had a good crime elements and drama... and Dominic did awsome job acting just like others actors.
  • A show that deserved better than what the network gave it.

John Doe is one of those kinds of shows that are very intriguing. John Doe woke up and had no memory of his past, but in time realized he knew just everything about everything. But what he really wanted to know was who he was and about his past. The show was so excellent and superb that the whole idea that a network would cancel it after one season truly astonished me. But I am getting tired of complaining about unintelligent networks. I really like Dominic Purcell who plays John Doe in this show so much more than the role he has in Prison Break. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor in both shows, but in John Doe his role had so much more substance. I wish that they would at least do a movie to at least finish off the series.
  • One of the best and most compelling TV series in recent years.

I have watched the entire series of this and the only derogatory comment I have is that it finished too soon. I'm sure they could have created a few more episodes, maybe even another series or two. That aside though, I found it completely enthralling to watch. Dominic was a good choice for the character John Doe, he played the part admirably. And it seems it has helped him to progress onto other projects quite easily also.

The cases he involves himself with for the police department are normally quite bizarre and it is ingenious in the way he solves them. I especially enjoyed the little titbit's of trivia he comes out with and that it seems he will never have an incorrect answer for anyone.

I would recommend this series to anyone, except maybe the very young as it does hold some dark undertones sometimes.
  • Bring It Back! If you agree go here and remove the spaces http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml

http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml

Remove the spaces and paste this link if you agree.

John Doe was a great show From the beginning.
    It's only downfall was it left you hanging at the end of each episode. Even the season final... That was also what made it such a great show.

If you would like to see any chance of fox bringing back this show please support those of us and go to the petition link. http://www.petitiononline .com/returnjd/petition.ht ml
    The other reviewers Tell you what the first season is about But i'm just here to beg to get it back on the air.

I hope you support the cause.
    Wolfie
  • Fantastic

Bottom Line- this is a unique show and John Doe does enjoy his character. Worth Catching. THis is a show that starts out slow but in every episode thee are minutes where John Doe is just at his prime. The Underlying story line is very impressive. But each episode steps and dances in uncharted land. You never know what John will pull out of his head next but the show does push the neddle on must see
  • Bring It Back John Doe Will Leave On Forever Cause... Because He Is The Phoenix But Just Bought The Dvd On Ebay So I Can Watch It Forever But I Miss It Badly If It Was On Around This Time It Will Be Doing Real Well But You Know ??

John begins to experience an onslaught of bizarre visions and images then blacks out – the visions lead him to a faceless murder victim and a cannery where the Phoenix Organization and the remote viewers were situated. John meets Sam of the NSA (the murdered man is one of Sam's undercover agents) and they manage to capture the Trenchcoat Man and discovers he's not deaf and speaks fluently in Sanskrit and Latin. Trenchcoat hints at John's destiny, how he's one of them, and that Michael (from "Remote Control") may still be alive and a key to the mystery – then he escapes using strange mental abilities of his own. Sam introduces John as a "Class 1" to Lucas Doya, the founder of the U.S.'s own remote viewer program through the DoD – Doya puts John through a series of tests to heighten his own remote abilities and John locks on to Teresa in a copper mine. The NSA, Avery, and Frank close in with John as the remote viewers get a vision of the location of the Staff (from "Ashes to Ashes") in the Vatican. Trenchcoat arrives, kills Michael, and he and Stocking Cap fleet with Theresa. John follows and manages to pull her away as Stocking Cap escapes but catches a glimpse of his face - it is . . . Digger
  • I think John Doe is the most intelligent scifi/drama series I've ever seen, with a great storyline and great acting.

It's a travesty, that that John Doe has has ended so abruptly. I was really looking forward to the second season, when I heard the news, that the show has been cancelled. I couldn't believe it, I still can't. They could have at least made a final episode for all the fans. How could they leave us hanging like that???
  • One of the best shows on TV.

This show is better than some of the crap going on 3,4,5,6 seasons, it just didnt get advertised correctly. The characters are awesome and the story is deep and believable. I think with a second season and the correct advertising for it, it could be a huge success! I look forward to seeing this again.
  • why?!?!?!?! :(

This show john doe is the best i cant belive fox. The cliffhanger and everything was so good. This show is the recipe fore a great show and I really hope that fox will bring it back soon or some day. Dominic Purcell is a great actor hove is in prison break right now. I hope after that he go back to john doe.
< 1 2 3