We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

John from Cincinnati Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

His Visit: Day Nine Discussion Thread *SPOILERS* (Series Finale)

Metal_Meatwad

[1]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 20

Please discuss His Visit: DayNine here. (Season Finale)

Description : In the first-season finale, Butchie and Kai have a joyous revelation; and Imperial Beach plays host toStinkweed's makeshift parade.

Sundays at 9pm ET

Edited on 08/14/2007 8:54am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Metal_Meatwad

[2]Aug 12, 2007
    Not to much was revealed; but I have to say, this was my Favorite Episode !!!

boggs0547

[3]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 5
    I'm not sure I understanding what just happened in this episode, hopefully there will be another season to explain some more.

gbvfan13

[4]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 25

Metal_Meatwad wrote:
    Not to much was revealed; but I have to say, this was my Favorite Episode !!!

Really, Jason, why? What did you like so much about it? Not that I disagree - I just have to see it a few more times before I can try to 'place' it in with the other 9 episodes of this season?

Edited on 08/12/2007 7:50pm

torque4015

[5]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 18
    They didn't reveal anything I still don't get it this show make's no sense.

Placebo_obecalP

[6]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 13
    As much as I've enjoyed the season this finale was rather weak, seemed disjointed and a kind of "rushed" ending......

lross34470

[7]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 2

I believe the reason why people liked this episode but "can't really say why", is because this episode spoke to our heart---not to our mind. This episode was aboutREDEMPTION amd CONNECTION and LOVE. In the opener we see Kai snuggling with Butchie. They have renewed their love from many years ago and Butchie is almost whole again. Meyer's girlfriend is performing oral sex--which surprises Meyer. Remember how cold and stand-offish her character was when it was first introduced?Well now she engages in an act of intimacy which she could never have done before--"a life changing event for Meyer"--aswe later learn.Enter John and Sean. Not only is Sean OK---he is wonderful as he and John beautifully surf in tandem to the wonderful music by Bob Dylan. Link and Tina are also together in bed, as he gives a thumbs up that everything is OK. Butch reaches out to touch Sean's hair in another act of connection---he is becoming a father--and Sean smiles at Butchie acknowledging the connection. Sean and his mother share a hug--another redemption--another connection. Just as Butchie is becoming the father he never was, Tina is becoming the Mother she never was.

Sean, who has shown no sense of self throughout the series asks Cissy (his Grandmother) for a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich---Instead of the tuna that she always makes him (and never asked him how he liked it to be made--as we found out in an earlier episode). Link begins to understand the word of the Father as conveyed to him through John. In an epiphany Link says to John "You use my words, and if I listen right I can hear your Father" Link , too is redeemed through this epiphany. Butchie is even able to reconnect with Tina and disniss his anger towards her.In another act of selfhood, Sean tells his grandparents (who also seem to have reached a reconnection of sorts) that he wishes to move out to live with his Dad and John. Sean realizes that his Dad (Butchie) is now almost healed thus the wish to re-establish the connection even more strongly. Sean is able to express his love to his grandparents and in a third act of selfhood states he is going to leave (jump over the fence) rather than just stay and watch them bicker as he had done in previous episodes.

Meanwhile John bestows healing words upon Butchie as he openly ackowledges the effectthat Cissy's molestation of Butchie had on Cissy. It forced her to become "the worst ball buster known to man --so no one would be around her and she wouldn't have to be afraid she would do something like that again --thats how ashamed of herself she was" This horrible act served to wound and estrange both Butchie AND Cissy. Butchie, having been wounded, hurt Barry who, in a vulnerable state ,was molested by Mr Rollins. To which John then adds--WE ARE ALL FRAIL VESSELS. In other words we are all easily wounded and we all use poor judgement and we all can be forgiven and redeemed.

Sean doesn't know where he went with John but he is alright with that. He knows he had fun, rode "good waves"--he has become very John-like in his discussion with Butchie. Buchie again connects with Sean by reaching out for his hand.

Of course there are miracles throughout the episode. Mitch Yost continues to levitate. The man and woman at therestaurant

are able to see what is unfolding through their computer although it is "technically impossible" we are told.

Barry confides to Ramon that he was finally able to sleep through a night without the terrible self deprecating thoughts running through his head. Barry also, is healing. Freddie demonstrates his redemption/healing by easing himself out of the drug dealing business.

Stinkweed which once tore the Yost family apart now helps to put them back together. As John says "Stinkweed lays down cover for my father".

Even Bill, who is not at the Stinkweed parade ,talks to the love of his life---his long dead Lois. Helaments her loss. and the loss of Skippy, and much to his amazement Skippy re-appears allowing Bill to be re-connected.

At the fadeout, we see Kai finally surfing and having fun. Something we had not seen through the entire first season. Kai is finally able to lay down the heavy burden of being the glue to keep the Yost family together now that they are healing and becoming redeemed--so too is she redeemed and healed.

chaznet

[8]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 11
    You're reading a lot more into the show with that lengthy post than was actually there. That babble talk that more of the characters are now participating in could be substitued with fingernails slowly scratching on a chalkboard and have the same effect. Would be very suprised if this junk makes it to a 2nd season...
    Edited on 08/13/2007 2:40am

kelley0528

[9]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 14
    lross34470 wrote:

I believe the reason why people liked this episode but "can't really say why", is because this episode spoke to our heart---not to our mind. This episode was aboutREDEMPTION amd CONNECTION and LOVE. In the opener we see Kai snuggling with Butchie. They have renewed their love from many years ago and Butchie is almost whole again. Meyer's girlfriend is performing oral sex--which surprises Meyer. Remember how cold and stand-offish her character was when it was first introduced?Well now she engages in an act of intimacy which she could never have done before--"a life changing event for Meyer"--aswe later learn.Enter John and Sean. Not only is Sean OK---he is wonderful as he and John beautifully surf in tandem to the wonderful music by Bob Dylan. Link and Tina are also together in bed, as he gives a thumbs up that everything is OK. Butch reaches out to touch Sean's hair in another act of connection---he is becoming a father--and Sean smiles at Butchie acknowledging the connection. Sean and his mother share a hug--another redemption--another connection. Just as Butchie is becoming the father he never was, Tina is becoming the Mother she never was.

Sean, who has shown no sense of self throughout the series asks Cissy (his Grandmother) for a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich---Instead of the tuna that she always makes him (and never asked him how he liked it to be made--as we found out in an earlier episode). Link begins to understand the word of the Father as conveyed to him through John. In an epiphany Link says to John "You use my words, and if I listen right I can hear your Father" Link , too is redeemed through this epiphany. Butchie is even able to reconnect with Tina and disniss his anger towards her.In another act of selfhood, Sean tells his grandparents (who also seem to have reached a reconnection of sorts) that he wishes to move out to live with his Dad and John. Sean realizes that his Dad (Butchie) is now almost healed thus the wish to re-establish the connection even more strongly. Sean is able to express his love to his grandparents and in a third act of selfhood states he is going to leave (jump over the fence) rather than just stay and watch them bicker as he had done in previous episodes.

Meanwhile John bestows healing words upon Butchie as he openly ackowledges the effectthat Cissy's molestation of Butchie had on Cissy. It forced her to become "the worst ball buster known to man --so no one would be around her and she wouldn't have to be afraid she would do something like that again --thats how ashamed of herself she was" This horrible act served to wound and estrange both Butchie AND Cissy. Butchie, having been wounded, hurt Barry who, in a vulnerable state ,was molested by Mr Rollins. To which John then adds--WE ARE ALL FRAIL VESSELS. In other words we are all easily wounded and we all use poor judgement and we all can be forgiven and redeemed.

Sean doesn't know where he went with John but he is alright with that. He knows he had fun, rode "good waves"--he has become very John-like in his discussion with Butchie. Buchie again connects with Sean by reaching out for his hand.

Of course there are miracles throughout the episode. Mitch Yost continues to levitate. The man and woman at therestaurant

are able to see what is unfolding through their computer although it is "technically impossible" we are told.

Barry confides to Ramon that he was finally able to sleep through a night without the terrible self deprecating thoughts running through his head. Barry also, is healing. Freddie demonstrates his redemption/healing by easing himself out of the drug dealing business.

Stinkweed which once tore the Yost family apart now helps to put them back together. As John says "Stinkweed lays down cover for my father".

Even Bill, who is not at the Stinkweed parade ,talks to the love of his life---his long dead Lois. Helaments her loss. and the loss of Skippy, and much to his amazement Skippy re-appears allowing Bill to be re-connected.

At the fadeout, we see Kai finally surfing and having fun. Something we had not seen through the entire first season. Kai is finally able to lay down the heavy burden of being the glue to keep the Yost family together now that they are healing and becoming redeemed--so too is she redeemed and healed.

I think you are absolutely correct. This is the best assessment of what's actually happening in JFC I have ever read. Great post!

louisms

[10]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 13
    Great post, LROSS!
    Edited on 08/13/2007 8:48am

boggs0547

[11]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 5

This helped me to understand a little more what was going on, still confused and will need to rewatch but figured I would share...

Inside the Episode
    With Steve Hawk

The Future Tense of Joy

David Milch, JFC's executive producer and head writer, likes to talk about the many ways in which the future continuously reinterprets the meaning of the past. In that context he often quotes a poem by his mentor, Robert Penn Warren: "This is the process whereby pain of the past in its pastness / May be converted into the future tense / Of joy."

That concept came to life several times over the course of the first season of JFC, but perhaps never more so than in this episode when Butchie (Brian Van Holt), Cissy (Rebecca De Mornay) and Shaun (Greyson Fletcher) leave the Snug Harbor Hotel together to help Mitch (Bruce Greenwood), who's back at the Yost house, levitating to the ceiling. As the three generations of Yosts climb into Cissy's car to drive away, John smiles and says, "Meet the Jetsons."

John's recalling a moment from the show's first episode, after Butchie challenged his father, Mitch, to a fistfight and in anger said to John, "You want to meet a happy family, watch the Saturday morning cartoons, John. Meet the f**king Jetsons." To which John replied, in his parrot-like fashion, "Meet the f**king Jetsons."

Here, eight days later, the meaning of that line has been reversed: Butchie is joining his mother and his son on a mission to help his father. And thus the future reinterprets the meaning of the past, and the pain of the past is converted into joy - or at least something approaching it.

A Shepherd Without Crook or Understanding

The scene in which Linc (Luke Perry), Jake (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) and John (Austin Nichols) buy an El Camino from the Dealer (Peter Jason) at the Cherry Oldies car lot is probably the most important puzzle-solving moment of the season. It's not my place to provide a line-by-line interpretation, but I can say this: If you sensed that the car-buying sequence provides some clues about why John has come to Imperial Beach -- and about the show's fundamental cosmology and intent -- trust your instincts. Here's a transcript, with narrative from the original script:

EXT. CHERRY OLDIES USED CAR SALES - DAY

Linc and Jake and John with the owner/operator of Cherry Oldies Used Car Sales. The Dealer's appearance invokes P.T. Barnum's trustworthiness, and his manner Chicken Little's hurried angst --

DEALER: I feel that you boys are ready for this Camino ....

LINC: (Includes Jake) Between the two of us we own more cars than you have on this lot. My guess is that your feeling's probably right.

Linc meant to put the Dealer off his pitch and thereby abbreviate their business; instead the Dealer bridles --

DEALER: That's not what I mean by ready - number of vehicles owned.

Jake and Linc tag-team their message of impatience --

JAKE: What do you mean, Pops?

LINC: We got to, uh, boogie.

The Dealer comes over their top --

DEALER: Oh, so I've got to know what I mean before I can have a feeling. Do I have to know that you'll understand me? Do you have to know you'll understand before you'll listen?

Which appears to put Jake in a different, passive state --

DEALER (to Linc): Twenty-five cars between you -- you should've let me sit down before you told me. I got that many dealerships in each of that many sectors, and brands on goddamn franchise. I've got to boogie, me.

John indicates the Dealer, in whose rhythms and accents he reproaches Linc and Jake for their failure to take the Dealer's premise on its face --

JOHN: He feels you're ready for the Camino.

Where Jake's gone, Linc has now gone too --

DEALER (to John) You're off-line now, Country.

JOHN: I don't know Butchie instead.

DEALER: (To Linc and Jake, re John) How's he for high-performance? And he ain't who's worst-underpowered.

If the Dealer had suspenders he'd flex them to indicate who he means --

DEALER: Intrusions, evanescences - I'm a shepherd without crook or understanding. Fits and stops and starts. Waves and ripples and ramifications. Busted knee, mother-son handjob .... Christ, Jesus Christ Jesus Christ.

The Dealer's tight smile is not fully persuasive --

DEALER: Crosses and shoulders to bear 'em.

He smacks his hand on the El Camino --

DEALER: El Camino, fifteen thousand, as is.

Linc and Jake have regained their faculties --

LINC: Is it gassed?

JOHN: F**king-A right it's gassed Linc.

As John puts on the counter the fifteen thousand dollars in hundred dollar bills which has materialized in his pocket the Dealer's stern gaze goes to Linc --

DEALER: You and your twenty-five cars. Circle and line on the wall, and zeros and goddamned ones, is what to turn the both of your gifts to --

The Dealer's "both" appears to include Jake --

DEALER: -- and not one damn minute to waste.

JOHN: Ragheads are going to get themselves eradicated.

DEALER: (vigorously interrupting John) Country, I took you off-line. (calling off camera, re El Camino) Manuel, get a cage on this thing.

John leans over the hood of the El Camino and employs the entirety of his wingspan to offer it a hug. Off which --

Why I Don't Come Up Here

If Linc and Jake's encounter with the car dealer is pivotal for its code-cracking aspect, the season's most powerful emotional moment (to me, anyway), comes at the end of this episode, when Bill (Ed O'Neill) finally works up the nerve to return to his late wife's sick room. Bill's soliloquy contains one of Milch's trademark "watch what people do, not what they say" moments. "Safely returned, happy outcome," Bill says as he shares the good news with Lois that Shaun has come home. But listen to his voice and look at his face - he's clearly on the verge of breaking down from his continuing sadness and loneliness over the loss of his wife.

It could be argued that Bill's final scene, in terms of its artistic import, is more representative than the car-lot scene in communicating the central point of JFC: to move viewers in ways that not only surprise, but also sometimes fail to rise to the level of consciousness. I know not everyone felt the same gut-punch that I did from Bill's speech or Zippy the parrot's sudden return, but if that scene got to you, ask yourself this: when's the last time you teared up because a bird flew in a window?

The World's Best Skateboarder

The red-shirted skateboarder who appears a few times toward the end of the episode is street-skating legend Rodney Mullen, who gets my vote as the best skateboarder in history. Today, in his early 40s, he still rides better than anyone. He's also without doubt the most kind-hearted skater I've ever met. I've known Rodney since he was a teenager, and I invited him to meet Milch last summer. At the time, we thought the John character might do some skateboarding in the show, and Rodney agreed to help train Austin Nichols, who plays John.

Rodney and Milch hit it off, and Rodney ended coming in for several visits. It was a pretty big deal when he agreed to appear as a background skateboarder in the season finale, because Rodney almost never skates in public anymore. He prefers to ride in isolation around the streets of Los Angeles from midnight to daybreak.

When he began performing tricks on the set in Imperial Beach, it nearly stopped production. His skateboard talents are otherworldy - combination ice skater, gymnast and punk - and people can't help but watch. While we were shooting the scene in which Bill is handcuffed, Paula Malcomson, who plays Jerri, stood transfixed by Rodney's skating. "When I watch him," she said, "I just feel so ... happy."

To see footage of Rodney skating, click here.

The End is Near

One of Milch's favorite themes, given voice throughout the first season of JFC, is that mankind's perceived differences and estrangements are both illusory and dangerous. He's particularly concerned about the way technological advances, in the form of 24-hour news channels and the Internet, have outstripped society's ability to deal rationally with the unsettling images that bombard it daily. Here's what he said in the writer's room about that subject during a brainstorming session last October:

"What makes the danger of ethnic cleansing so much more acute in contemporary times, and one of the things I want to engage in this series, is the extent to which we now reside in virtual space, and the homicidal impulse that's generated by the violation of our virtual space. After the planes flew into the World Trade Center, we were subjected to the stimuli of those images in our virtual space over and over and over again. And because of the way we're set up physiologically, we experience those as continuous ongoing attacks. They predispose us to a violence toward the people whom we take as the perpetrators, because we can't individuate. And because of the way we receive information, we identify the attackers as Ragheads. Our willingness to respond in a genocidal fashion, I think, is not to be underestimated, and that's one of the reasons that this postulated force from elsewhere [John] has dispatched these various miracles - to arouse the recognition that the apocalypse is upon us."

Before shooting the climactic Stinkweed "street fair" near the end of the episode, Milch gathered the entire crew together to explain how the scene, and especially Linc's speech, fit into that broader theme. Here's an excerpt:

"Here's the thing. If you've **** up unremittingly for decades you wake up and you say to yourself, 'How the **** am I still alive? Don't they come and revoke the license at a certain point?' That's what the universe gives us every morning. No matter how far we have veered from reverence for the miraculous fact that we exist in a universe that we don't understand, every day we get a chance to start over...

"John is the chance that the universe gives you every day. And commerce, in the form of Linc, has been persuaded to enlist itself in the service of a miracle. Now, Linc's going to think he's **** because no one is ever sure of their sincerity. The only way that you demonstrate your sincerity is in action. Whatever Linc thinks he's doing, however uncertain he is, he has decided to take action and enlist Jake in protecting John's identity, so that the anxiety that people feel when they see a plane flying into a building, which makes them want to kill a stranger, doesn't happen to John. And the way that commerce is going to try to protect John is by saying, 'All these miracles that have been going on? It was all Stinkweed. It was all **** It was all commerce. It was a big f**king promotion.' ... What we're seeing is the elaborate resourcefulness of commerce once it has devoted itself to attempting to protect the universe."

The Internet is Big

Although the first season is over, you can still learn new stuff about some of JFC's characters and themes at various websites:

Yostclan - http://yostclan.com/ aka "The Pipeline"
    The unofficial fan website for Mitch and Butchie Yost. The website reveals a hidden universe that can only be discovered after solving three puzzles, clues for which can be found on the site's bulletin board.

Stinkweed - http://stinkweedusa.com/
    The official website of the apparel company founded by Linc Stark.

Videos:
    Shaun Yost - http://www.youtube.com/user/ShaunYost
    Shaun has posted several videos on-line, including his "Sponsor Me" video featured in the first episode.

Mitch Yost - http://www.youtube.com/user/ibsurfbum
    Mitch's public service announcements on cross-border water pollution.

Meyer Dickstein - http://www.youtube.com/user/jrosenib
    Two videos featuring Meyer Dickstein (Willie Garson).

Alternate Titles
    Three alternate titles to the official one ("His Visit: Day Nine"):

a. "Intrusions and Evanescences"

b. "A Nud-Nudge for Us Earthlings"

c. "Wouldn't She Have Laughed To Have Seen That"

Steve Hawk is a writer and lifelong surfer from Southern California. He acts as a writer and surf consultant for John From Cincinnati. Bio

torque4015

[12]Aug 13, 2007
    • level: 18
    kelley0528 wrote:
    lross34470 wrote:

I think you are absolutely correct. This is the best assessment of what's actually happening in JFC I have ever read. Great post!

Yes you did A great job on that post Iross I'm going to watch the episode again Now I'll underastand it more. Thank You

Edited on 08/13/2007 9:58am

mushroomyakuza

[13]Aug 13, 2007
    lross, your analysis is pretty sharp, and I agree with many of your points - throughout the season, I have been put off by JFC to the extent of abandoning it, only to reconnect with it an episode or two down the line. This episode in particular was a rewarding experience for me - even though I understand little of it. The best way to explain would be to reference Dr. Smith and Ramon's knowledge that "this is huge", even though they were not sure what they were discussing.

This episode is, as you say, one of love and reconnection. Everyone in the episode undergoes some form of change - and they are all better for it. I continue to remain baffled by so much of what I see in JFC, and many of the mysteries dangled in front of us can never be solved - who is John? Who is his Father? Why pick the Yosts? - but there is an overwhelming force of GOOD in this episode - everyone is granted redemption or salvation, whether they seek it or not, and sometimes being uplifted is more important than comprehension.

holysin

[14]Aug 14, 2007

Apparently this was the series finale

From reuters (and cnn)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/14/television.john.reut/

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The wave has crashed for "John From Cincinnati." A day after its first-season finale, HBO on Monday canceled the dark surfing drama.

"John from Cincinnati," starring Bruce Greenwood as the leader of a surfer family, never caught on.

Labeled by critics as "strange," "weird" and "unlikable," "John" never clicked with viewers despite a strong marketing campaign and such well-known leads as Rebecca De Mornay and Bruce Greenwood.

For the few devoted fans of the show, which David Milch ("Deadwood") created with "surf noir" author Kem Nunn, the mysterious final line in the season finale -- John saying, "Mother of God, Cass-Kai" over a shot of Kai (Keala Kennelly) surfing -- will remain just that, a mystery.

Meanwhile, HBO is yet to decide the fate of its other summer freshman series, the comedy "Flight of the Conchords."

It's been a rough summer for HBO, while basic cable networks have launched a slew of hit new series -- USA Network's "Burn Notice," Lifetime's "Army Wives" and TNT's "Saving Grace," all renewed for a second season.

HBO's upcoming series include the drama "In Treatment," the comedy "12 Miles of Bad Road" and "True Blood," the recently picked-up vampire drama by "Six Feet Under" creator Alan Ball.

HBO is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.

So, feel free to send loads of letters to HBO filled with nothing but 1's and 0's... ala the peanut incident ;-)

Good show, shame we'll not be treated to a second season.

Metal_Meatwad

[15]Aug 14, 2007
    I know I found that Article to while I was on IMDB, I already cancelled the show like Over 30 Mins ago.
    Edited on 08/14/2007 8:55am

amiantos

[16]Aug 14, 2007
    lross34470 wrote:

I believe the reason why people liked this episode but "can't really say why", is because this episode spoke to our heart---not to our mind. This episode was aboutREDEMPTION amd CONNECTION and LOVE. In the opener we see Kai snuggling with Butchie.----- GIGANTIC SNIP----- Kai is finally able to lay down the heavy burden of being the glue to keep the Yost family together now that they are healing and becoming redeemed--so too is she redeemed and healed.

I gotta say I like your take, but the reason this episode was my favorite was: "Butchie hurt my tit."

gbvfan13

[17]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 25
    I finally posted my review of the Series Finale . Please drop by and read it whenever you have a free second.

puablo

[18]Aug 15, 2007

Also do a google search on "Bible 9 11 14", remember how John always said 9 11 14 a lot? Sounded ominous with the 9-11 part but if you read that quote by Hebrews (mainly the last part) it pretty much describes John. John helped heal the Yosts and assorted characters. There's no big picture, just little miracles along the way. And with that, the ending is quite beautiful.

...but still confusing in many ways, especially with the car dealer, and the "Mother Of God Cass-Kai" signoff!

Mythic420

[19]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    holysin wrote:
    Meanwhile, HBO is yet to decide the fate of its other summer freshman series, the comedy "Flight of the Conchords."

It's been a rough summer for HBO, while basic cable networks have launched a slew of hit new series -- USA Network's "Burn Notice," Lifetime's "Army Wives" and TNT's "Saving Grace," all renewed for a second season.

Flight of the Conchords is really good, they better renew it. The rest of those suck other than burn notice, I'd take JfC over army wives or saving grace any day (someone take the ability to make new shows from lifetime, cause they suck at it. And, enough of the tough chick shows tnt, since 1 got good ratings I suppose it's time for 26 more of the same thing).

As far as the episode goes, it was ok I guess, best one in quite a few. Seemed like a long string-a-long for that weak of an ending though. Should have known that any show that takes a mile long post to explain the 'symbolism' and 'artsyness' in 1 episode wasn't going to be around for very long. I figured we'd get to see the rest of the deadwood cast in the 2nd season .

Hollandmonopoly

[20]Aug 15, 2007
    The Yost Clan website is really freaking weird. I've solved the "Some things I know and some things I don't." And I'm trying at the moving picture, but not too much is coming from it.