John from Cincinnati

His Visit: Day Nine

Aired Sunday 12:00 AM Aug 12, 2007 on HBO

7.8
  • While much is still left quite cryptic, you are presented with much more direct information that confirms theories and allows you to make your own conclusions.

Season and series finale! I'm relieved and not surprised in the least that this show was canceled. Although I must give HBO credit for letting the whole season air unlike some other network stations that pull shows even when they have un-aired episodes *cough* Fox * cough*. The only reason I kept watching this show is to see what exactly it is about. The previews promised answer and for the most part it did deliver.

While much is still left quite cryptic, you are presented with much more direct information that confirms theories and allows you to make your own conclusions. As was known, this show has been about the healing of people's lives and building families. The episode opens up with Shawn and John arriving on surf boards witnessed by Butchie, Kai, and Cas. Those three are the ones who chose to have faith in John. When Shawn is questioned about where he was, he points up at the sky and says Cincinnati. He also has no real recollection about what happened and says he only remembers what "they" want him to say. Where was he exactly? We'll never know for sure but heaven or some other holy place is obvious conclusion. At the end of the episode, we finally see everyone come to terms with their situation and start on the road to recovery. The ending also has rather wild and potentially controversial implications of what the future seasons would have been about. All the strange events that happened in this show early on, like Mitch levitating, Shawn breaking his neck and fully recovering, and Kai "seeing god" appear to be all symbolic events that portray their role in this group of people. Mitch was losing touch with his family and feeling distant, Kai is the outside observer that kept the Yost family together, and Shawn is the focal point that connects everyone. And it was these unexplained odd events that got me to watch this show. Now that I have my answers, I'm uncertain what I think about series. While I can see what was trying to be done here, I feel it would have been served better with a more engaging environment. There was no sugar coating here for you to enjoy while it went about its philosophical journey. It was a bold move that did not pan out especially in a time where many people don't have the attention span to devote to such a heavy serial series. It's a heavy art piece that's well, wasted on me. -- DMo
    www.rottendmotoes.com