TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Jon and Kate Plus 8 Forums

TLC (ended 2009)

Is It All a Publicity Stunt?

Vernita_Green

[1]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 10
    Does anyone think all this Jon & Kate scandal stuff is just some publicity stunt to get the show more attention? I have watched this show since the beginning and this season's show format is different. It used to be more of about a day in the life of the Gosselins, then it grew into that plus the occasional lavish vacation or field trip, now its Jon & Kate having other reality stars visit, now Kate isn't really super mom, she is some celebrity who has to be away from her children for periods of time, and now that the kids are getting older, they might be getting less interesting (according to the network) so maybe they feel the need to stir up some trumped up drama between Jon and Kate to keep people watching. It all seems like a fake scandal to keep people interested in the show. What do you think? I don't buy all the tabloids or trumped up drama at all. I am sure Jon and Kate aren't perfect, and neither is their marriage or family, and I know kids can put a strain on a marriage, but it still doesn't seem real to me. Plus this whole Jon and Kate being unfaithful to one another stuff didn't start hitting the media until right before the season premiered, seems a little too convenient to me, also the underlying "unspoken" tension between Jon and Kate on the show seems overly dramatic and misleading, I just don't buy this at all.
    Edited on 06/17/2009 9:12pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aldaros23

[2]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 53
    i believe the tabloids have totally gone way overboard on this one. that's all i can say until there's more factual info presented.

phoebechan

[3]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    Well if it was a stunt it failed. More people including my mom and myself have stopped watching the show because of what's happening. And even if it was or not their kids will never trust them again because just last year they renewed their vows. I blame them both they didn't even try to fix their marriage. And Kate's let the fame go to her head. I can't stand that woman. Did you see that interview where I think it was Maddie who wanted some water and Kate asked for some watch and drank it herself right in front of her kids and didn't even give any of it to them. And she hit Leah. Yeah I can't stand that woman.

Vernita_Green

[4]Jun 24, 2009

phoebechan wrote:
    Well if it was a stunt it failed. More people including my mom and myself have stopped watching the show because of what's happening. And even if it was or not their kids will never trust them again because just last year they renewed their vows. I blame them both they didn't even try to fix their marriage. And Kate's let the fame go to her head. I can't stand that woman. Did you see that interview where I think it was Maddie who wanted some water and Kate asked for some watch and drank it herself right in front of her kids and didn't even give any of it to them. And she hit Leah. Yeah I can't stand that woman.

I admit, now I am not so sure that this is a publicity stunt (I never believe anything 100%, but it looks like this marriage may truly be over, however I would have to see the actual divorce papers to believe that). I keep thinking back to the Hawaii vow renewal episode and thinking, what the heck happened between that time and now, and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that the whole trip, the vow renewal and everything was more than likely prompted by TLC to get a few good episodes in, and the icing on the cake was that the kids could meet more of Jon's family. They may have tried to fix their marriage behind the scenes so I can't judge that, but from their language on Monday's episode, it seems to me that Jon wants this divorce more than Kate because he is doing his thing outside of the marriage and he likes seeing other women. I think Kate has bossed him and in the process demeaned him so much that he could no longer take it and instead of opening his mouth and airing his grievances which she probably wouldn't have listened to or taken seriously anyways, he decided to cheat. Kate is her typical control freak self, and yes I agree she has let the fame go to her head, she is way different than in the earlier episodes, but then again Jon is too. I saw the water incident, and I think it was Kate just being her usual control freak self. I can understand why she wouldn't give Mady the water, it could make all the other kids want water too, and then there would be chaos and they were just on a commercial break so there wasn't time for everyone to have a drink. I didn't see the spanking one so I can't speak on that, but in general, I believe in spanking if the child's behavior is serious to warrant it, what did Leah do to make Kate spank her?

TVAddict1987

[5]Jul 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    Vernita_Green wrote:

phoebechan wrote:

I admit, now I am not so sure that this is a publicity stunt (I never believe anything 100%, but it looks like this marriage may truly be over, however I would have to see the actual divorce papers to believe that). I keep thinking back to the Hawaii vow renewal episode and thinking, what the heck happened between that time and now, and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that the whole trip, the vow renewal and everything was more than likely prompted by TLC to get a few good episodes in, and the icing on the cake was that the kids could meet more of Jon's family. They may have tried to fix their marriage behind the scenes so I can't judge that, but from their language on Monday's episode, it seems to me that Jon wants this divorce more than Kate because he is doing his thing outside of the marriage and he likes seeing other women. I think Kate has bossed him and in the process demeaned him so much that he could no longer take it and instead of opening his mouth and airing his grievances which she probably wouldn't have listened to or taken seriously anyways, he decided to cheat. Kate is her typical control freak self, and yes I agree she has let the fame go to her head, she is way different than in the earlier episodes, but then again Jon is too. I saw the water incident, and I think it was Kate just being her usual control freak self. I can understand why she wouldn't give Mady the water, it could make all the other kids want water too, and then there would be chaos and they were just on a commercial break so there wasn't time for everyone to have a drink. I didn't see the spanking one so I can't speak on that, but in general, I believe in spanking if the child's behavior is serious to warrant it, what did Leah do to make Kate spank her?

I agree with you on a lot of stuff- I just can't decide about the vow renewal. I want to think that it was real. I really think Jon has gone off the deep end so to speak. Not that Kate isn't at fault too, but.................All of it is sad. About the water thing- I totally agree with you on that- Kate even asked about the time! I am betting that all kds got plenty to drink after the spot was over, and anybody who has kids, especially drama queen 8 year olds (I nanny for one myself) knows that Mady was just making herself to be a lot more pitiful then she was. As for the spanking, it was just a pic, but apparently Leah did something she was just told not to do. Whether or not you think that is horrible depends on your own personal beliefs about spanking and reasons for it.

bethanyliz

[6]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    Nahh i don't think it's a stunt. Well yeah TLC is feeding off of it that's for sure, but i think it's real. They've always had their little problems, mostly Kate being a control freak and Jon never standing up for himself. It's sad that Kate has become this celeb and now she's a total snob, apparently even her own children arn't good enough for her? (the water thing...i havn't seen it but it sounds horrible.) I think it's become way less interesting now that they have these "special guest stars" on like every show...It's like they are saying "HEY WORLD, WE'RE RICH AND FAMOUS NOW AND WE ARE FEEDING OFF OF OUR KIDS SO WE KEEP GETTING PAID!" I don't think the show will last much longer to be honest.....

ecgirl08

[7]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 57
    I don't think the show's gonna last much longer, either. The sextuplets will be in first grade next fall, and I highly doubt people will tune in for The Kate Show every week. What's happened to the Gosselins is so sad, and yet Kate keeps pretending it's a good thing overall. I can't imagine how anyone would think it's a good thing for all these lies and shams about their family to be recorded and filmed on TV. Those kids and their own children are going to watch these someday, and how is that going to impact them? And for what? For the money? Kate seems to think she has to keep doing this for the kids - or at least that's what she wants us to think. Is anything really worth taking privacy and normalcy away from your own kids? I doubt it. Soon enough, the kids will be able to go out, work, and fend for themselves - but if they didn't have a stable or normal childhood, they probably won't get very far.

dizneycrazy

[8]Aug 11, 2009

I hate to say this but I'm not intitled to judge these 2 but they kinda set themselfs up for this, but it show's what happens when a good idea goes severely bad I used to enjoy watching jon and kate but slowly as it moved along it kinda became repetitive. I tuned into the season opener and i was like wow ok this is going to be the new maybe darker jon and kate, you can only love something for so long then you have to let it go. the kids have college already paid for so why didn't they walk away the show is now hurting them more then helping. I agree jon is now on his own and doing what he want's but i think he needed some freedom kate kinda went diva/Victoria Beckham on him. a few seasons you could no doubt see there was love but that has dissolved to nothing. so is it a publicity stunt i don't really think so i just think it's a marrige that turned sour in front on many people.