JONAS L.A.

Wrong Song

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 2009 on Disney Channel

7.7
  • This show is shockingly not THAT bad.

The much hyped sitcom starring the Jonas brothers premiered this weekend on Disney Channel. You have to wonder why a network like NBC didn't make a play for the show. Sure, it is targeted for kids, but if you could bring those viewers to your channel, not only what this show garner strong ratings, but it would most likely propel some of your other shows to the top as well ala MyNetworkTv's acquisition of WWE Smackdown.

The Jonas brothers are not strong actors, but their goofy nature makes for good TV. Kevin Jonas is the funniest of the bunch, with Nick second and Joe just sort of being there. I do not follow their music so I don't know if Nick claiming he is "the serious one" is a true media distinction for him or not, but he did play up on it well.

Where the show works is that its in the same element as 90's Nickelodeon series Kenan and Kel. It doesn't insist upon itself and the kids are very likable. The dialogue is actually more mature than you would expect from a show on Disney, with the stars acting more like the guys on My Boys than Zach and Cody. The Jonas Brothers do not seem to be full of themselves like Miley Cyrus either.

The main problem with this show is with the female characters. They justify the stereotypes about the Disney Channel. They are played by overacting screechy young girls who have no sense of reality and seem like aliens in a fish out of water show as opposed to the gender balance of a sitcom.

If the show can maintain this quality then it might actually have a shot at not only keeping me as a viewer, but becoming a decent and respected program.