Jonathan Creek

The Problem at Gallows Gate, Part One

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 1998 on BBC

• This is the ultimate Jonathan Creek episode, the definitive episode.

This two-part episode will always remain, in my mind, as the classic Jonathan Creek mystery. It is perfect in every respect of the word. It begins at a birthday party, where we are introduced to the character Duncan Proctor (Alistair Petrie), the birthday boy. At this party we go on to learn that his girlfriend is actually sleeping with his best friend. Upon making this discovery, Duncan becomes furious and screams at the two of them, after which he proceeds to climb up on the railing of the balcony, and walks along it. Duncan, who can see the point in living any more, jumps off the balcony and plummeted to the ground below. His body is found and he is taken away. Suicide.

Time passes, and we now see Jonathan Creek and Adam Klaus. Klaus' sister, Kittty, has just arrived, and Adam, begrudgingly, has to look after her, but he soon thrusts her onto Jonathan to look after.

Jonathan, Maddy and Kitty go on a badger watch in the woods. It is here that Kitty, when answering a call of nature, makes a startling discovery. In the nearby house, she sees a man strangling a woman. She informs Jonathan, and he and Maddy go out to the house to investigate, coming across the body of a woman. The girlfriend of Duncan Proctor.

Jonathan, Maddy, and Kitty are then interrogated by the police, where the detective produces a photograph, asking Kitty if she recognises anyone as being the killer. She does. Instantaneously. The woman's friend is asked to identify the man in the photograph, to which she responds, "No, she must be mistaken. This man couldn't possibly have killed her. (Detective) And why's that? (Friend) Because that man is Duncan Proctor, he killed himself jumping off a balcony two weeks ago..." And so ends Part 1. I won't spoil the story here, but the solution is well worth it.

A true classic, definitive episode of Jonathan Creek. Simply not to be missed.