Jonny Quest Forums

ABC (ended 1965)

JQ on DVD

tbrittreid

[1]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 14
    The Wikipedia online encyclopedia'a article on Jonny Quest states that the DVD set released about five years ago contains the censored versions as seen on Saturday morning network schedules, in syndication, and on cable's The Cartoon Network for many years. IIRC, this claim is unsourced. I also recall reading a review or article about this release at the time that, consistent with the reputation of DVDs, they were the original uncensored episodes. Can anybody here tell me definitely which is the case?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MultiMedea

[2]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 39

The DVD set released by Warner Bros. is the unedited, original show as broadcast. It even includes the period commercials and breaks for the show.

You have to take much of what you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

WLDKISSFAN

[3]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 1
    I THINK THE BEST WAY TO GAUGE IF THE SHOW IS EDITED OR OTHERWISE IS TO CHECK THE LENGTH OF EACH EPISODE.AS AN EXAMPLE THE EPISODES OF BEWITCHED THAT AIRED ON DEJAVIEW (THE DIGITAL canadian RETRO TV CHANNEL) AIRED THE EDITED (AND WHEN THEY AIRED THE FIRST 2 COLORIZED SEASONS) VERSION OF THE SHOW RUNNING APPROXIMATELY 21-22 MINUTES WHEREAS THE ORIGINAL (AND DVD RUNNING TIMES ARE APPROXIMATELY 25 MINUTES EACH.THIS WAS ALSO THE GENERAL RUNNING TIME OF SHOWS FROM THAT ERA.NOWADAYS THE INTROS AND OUTROS ARE SHORTER AND YOU GET LESS STORY AS WELL.

tbrittreid

[4]Oct 1, 2009
    Interesting. I came here to add that I found the answer to my question, specifically that "Customer reviews" at Amazon.com are unanimous that the DVDs have the censored versions. Yet I find that MultiMedea has posted categorically otherwise, with explicit details. I am now more confused than ever before. Could it be that Warner actually put out two sets, one censored the other not, but didn't really come out and say so, and the censored ones got better/wider distribution? Amazon.com gives no evidence of two DVD releases.

MultiMedea

[5]Nov 5, 2009

tbrittreid wrote:
    Interesting. I came here to add that I found the answer to my question, specifically that "Customer reviews" at Amazon.com are unanimous that the DVDs have the censored versions. Yet I find that MultiMedea has posted categorically otherwise, with explicit details. I am now more confused than ever before. Could it be that Warner actually put out two sets, one censored the other not, but didn't really come out and say so, and the censored ones got better/wider distribution? Amazon.com gives no evidence of two DVD releases.

Someone would need to cite specific examples of which scenes were edited and where (plus add references to copies of the original broadcasts). Not stuff like 'well, I remember seeing it back in the day and it had yadda-yadda, etc.' On the Warners DVD set that I bought (about 2 days after 1st release) each ep is approximately 26 min of run time ('cause of the original commercial breaks). If they had edited things out (and not added content) the run times would vary. There are plenty of period references in my set that, if WB was being overly sensitive and PC, they DEFINITELY would have edited out.

Maybe some of the folks on Amazon (or other sites) picked up bootlegs off of CN or somewhere, and they're commenting on that?

tbrittreid

[6]Nov 24, 2009

"The folks on Amazon" are supposed to be reviewing the version offered for purchase there, and doing otherwise would be, frankly, quite dumb. There are at this writing 197 reviews. A few posts there refer to the presence of non-PC content without indicating any taken out. However, it would take wholesale redrawing and redubbing to make JQ genuinely PC, and they seem to be talking about the sort of thing that must be left in short of that. A handful of people indicate that the only censoring they detected was Race's "heathen monkeys...ignorant savages" comments from "Pursuit of the Po-Ho," but one of those admits to first seeing the series in the mid-1970s, when they had in fact already been subjected to censorship. MultiMedea's reference to "the period commercials and breaks from the show" is also quite inconsistent with these reviews. Only one commercial is indicated, for "PF Flyer sneakers," featuring Jonny & Race and offered as a special feature, while several point out the lack of commercial interruptions within the episodes themselves. It looks to me like it's MM who has a bootleg. Please note that with computer printers, those folks can make very professional/commercial-looking packaging.

Edited on 11/25/2009 11:42am

MultiMedea

[7]Nov 24, 2009
    tbrittreid wrote:

It looks to me like it's MM who has a bootleg. Please note that with computer printers, those folks can make very professional/commercial-looking packaging.

Bought mine at Target two days after its original release, so, definitely not bootleg. Again, I say, point out specific references against an original broadcast copy (or script).

tbrittreid

[8]Nov 25, 2009
    "...specific references..."? I've already mentioned Race's dialogue from "Po-Ho," which several posters rightly pointed out had not been cut from TV prints. Along with the two or three posters there who said that was the only censorship edit, one added the tossing of a grenade into the World War I plane piloted by Race in "Shadow of the Condor" (about a WWI German ace found high up in the Andes, in case I did not get the title right off the top of my head). That one I don't remember myself, only a grenade that got lodged in the German's own wing, which could not have been excised. I also remind you of their consistent contradiction to your "period commercials" statement (or did you merely express yourself badly there?). One other thing: Many of them claim that every episode had the same end credits sequence, which wasn't the way they were made. More specifically, the credits from one particular episode were said to have been attached to all. That almost matches what I've seen on Boomerang, but it has been a while since I've had access, so things might be different there now. There, the credits for "Po-Ho" were on most, but not all, episodes. That identification comes from the fact that while Cathy Lewis was listed among the guest voice cast, neither Will Kuluva (the mad scientist/main villain in "Terror Island," with Lewis as Jade) nor Vic Perrin (Dr. Zin in "Double Danger," ditto) were, and "Po-Ho" (Lewis as the missing anthropologist's wife) was the only other one she did with credit. Bizarrely, some other episode's set of credits was on "Po-Ho" itself as well as two or three other episodes. Amazon's posters also state that character-creator Doug Wildey is not credited on the particular set on the DVDs, and some of them assert that denying him was the motive. I have two off-Boomerang episodes with those credits (the aforementioned "Island" and "The Robot Spy"), but I did not notice Wildey's name being absent, which I feel I most certainly would have, but I'll check them. End credit-wise, what are yours like, MM? I am beginning to think that my suggestion, on my second post to this thread, was the truth even though I discounted it there: Simultaneous release of both censored and uncensored sets (with Warner's executives--new to control of the H-B library--thinking that the "Po-Ho" lines were too racist even for the uncensored set) with no open promotion of the fact and a greater quantity of copies of the censored set put out, with some people, including you, getting lucky.

tbrittreid

[9]Nov 27, 2009
    Check done: The "Pursuit of the Po-Ho" end credits on my off-Boomerang recordings of "Terror Island" and "Robot Spy" do not have Doug Wildey's signature-credit, so are probably what the Amazon posters who stated that the same end credits were on all 26 episodes referred to. For whatever that's worth.

tbrittreid

[10]Mar 20, 2011

It is getting close to a year and a half, and no further comment from MultiMedea, despite being asked to deal with the Amazon customer reviews' description of the "vintage commercials" situation which is incompatible with his/hers beyond any apparent possibility of honest misinterpretation on either side's part, and is not subject to his/her "specific comparison" requirement. MultiMedea was also squarely asked to describe the end credits of his/her set. If they are different and appropriate/accurate for each episode, then almost certainly that Target store somehow sold him/her a well-packaged bootleg version. Failing that, I think I have to throw everything this person has said out the proverbial window.

Edited on 03/20/2011 1:44pm